Online vs College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyMadmunki

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about going back to school to become a vet tech. I am a stay at home mom so online coarse would be a great fit for me BUT I do not want to spend the time or money if in the long run I can't get a good job. There is a local college that has a Associates Degree for Vet Tech and a Diploma for Vet Assistant. So from a Vet or hospital stand point which one looks better? Online college and whats the big difference between Assistant and Tech. From what I can see online there is a big need for Vet Techs and just wanted to get some advise before I go spending alot of money on an education that will be worthless if I don't get it at the right place.

Thanks!!
Sarah

Members don't see this ad.

Is the online program completely online? How do you learn the hands on skills?

Being a vet tech requires a lot of skills that you have to learn by doing. Drawing blood, giving meds, starting IVs, prepping for surgery, running labs, taking radiographs, even restraining animals can't be learned through a computer. I can see how some of the basic sciences could be done online, but most of what you need to be a vet tech needs to be learned hands-on. If the course you are interested is online-only, they are probably trying to take your money without giving you anything useful in return. Don't get scammed!

And a vet tech degree is more useful than a vet assistant.

look up the regulations in your state. some states seperate out what LVT can do vs Vet assistants or unlicenced techs, others make nearly no distinction. Then call up a couple of vets in the area, and ask if you can do an information interview. In some places, vets actively dislike the certification programs.

There is actually an organization that oversees vet programs...I would try to find programs through them. the only distance ones I know of are aimed at current unlicensed techs that are working in the field.

Another consideration is that hands on skills are hard to learn at a distance...and if you can't manage the time to go to school becaues you need more flexability for your children, how will you manage the time requirements of work?

I wasnt planning on starting the school process until my little one started school which will be in two years time. If online coarse were available then I would be able to start the schooling now and work at a slower pace so when my daughter started school full time I could start work instead of starting school.

The feedback has been great. The collage program I am looking at does things with the Vet school at UGA and Zoo Atlanta so these seem like it would provide invaluable information. I am also going to call some local vets and see if I can shadow a tech for a few hours to get more informaiton.