Online Orgo at community college ok or nah?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thanxalot

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Online orgo (at cc) okay? I’ll be taking it with some upper level classes at a 4 yr. unfortunately this is the only way it’ll work with my work schedule. (Also, I’m doing this for reinvention purposes)

Members don't see this ad.

Is it a retake?

Nope it’s not. It’ll be my first time taking it

Members don't see this ad :)
I would advise against it, @Thanxalot. Even if it may not be true, ADCOMs may think that you are trying to take an easier class.

I'd wait and take it at your home institution.

Reactions: 1 users
Unless things have changed you have to take Orgo 1 and 2 (plus labs). As long as you get an A in it and at least a B in Orgo 2 I think you'll be fine tbh. It would be one thing if most of your science pre-reqs were at a community college level but one is fine.

During Covid, I would give you a pass. Now, not so much. I always look at transcripts to see if applicants take hard courses over the summer or online. Med schools want to be convinced you can handle several hard courses at once.

Reactions: 1 user
Online orgo (at cc) okay? I’ll be taking it with some upper level classes at a 4 yr. unfortunately this is the only way it’ll work with my work schedule. (Also, I’m doing this for reinvention purposes)

If you are already at a 4 year institution, it is probably advisable to take orgo there. Enrolling in another institution to take orgo, particularly a CC, while already enrolled at a 4-year institution, is too obvious

I took biochem at a different school than my undergrad. Adcom asked why, I explained it, and it was never brought up again.

I don't think CC offers 300-level ochem, only 200-level one, which probably will not be counted towards med school ochem requirement.

I don't think CC offers 300-level ochem, only 200-level one, which probably will not be counted towards med school ochem requirement.
doesn't matter if it's 2000/200 or 3000/300, as long as it's not 1000/100 and title is Organic Chemistry I/Lab and Organic Chemistry II/Lab i'm pretty sure it's fine

Thanks everyone for your responses!! I graduated 5 years ago so I’m just signing up for prereq/upper level classes at my local college. I just couldn’t find an Orgo class that would work with my work schedule unless it was from a CC.

Thanks everyone for your responses!! I graduated 5 years ago so I’m just signing up for prereq/upper level classes at my local college. I just couldn’t find an Orgo class that would work with my work schedule unless it was from a CC.
I mean that does change the game a little. Being nontraditional and having a concurrent work schedule and adult responsibilities are valid reasons to take a prereq at a CC. Just be aware that a b (or especially for a 'c' grade maybe judged more harshly at a community college.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 2 users
I took ochem 1 and 2 online at a CC in two mini terms over one summer. 3 acceptances before I started turning down invites.

On a side note, this was easily the hardest semester of undergrad for me. All of us who survived through ochem 2 are physicians except for one who’s a pharmacist.