Online degree and med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmcintosh

NonTraditional Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seeing that times are so different and we are in an information and it driven world. Does anyone know of anybody that received their undergrad degree from an online degree program and got accepted into med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Seeing that times are so different and we are in an information and it driven world. Does anyone know of anybody that received their undergrad degree from an online degree program and got accepted into med school?
OP, please don't cross-post the same thread in multiple forums. Just pick one forum and post there. I have deleted your other copy of this thread.

Concerning the question, my advice is that you *not* get an online degree. First, times may be different, but med school adcoms are behind the times. To my knowledge, we have never accepted anyone with an online degree at my school. Second, how do you intend to do your lab coursework when you will have no access to a lab? Finally, from the perspective of putting together a strong app, whom do you intend to ask to write your LORs when you've never even met any of your profs? There is no advantage and much harm that can come from following this path. Again, I strongly urge you to reconsider.

Hope this helps, and best of luck.

OP, please don't cross-post the same thread in multiple forums. Just pick one forum and post there. I have deleted your other copy of this thread.

Concerning the question, my advice is that you *not* get an online degree. First, times may be different, but med school adcoms are behind the times. To my knowledge, we have never accepted anyone with an online degree at my school. Second, how do you intend to do your lab coursework when you will have no access to a lab? Finally, from the perspective of putting together a strong app, whom do you intend to ask to write your LORs when you've never even met any of your profs? There is no advantage and much harm that can come from following this path. Again, I strongly urge you to reconsider.

thx please post in non-traditional this was an error...i need more exposure to this question. also this has been done successfully by others already. they have either done post bac work to include their science prerequisite's or taken them at a 2 or 4 yr college and transferred the credit back to the online college. then successfully took the mcat and got accepted. i believe it is possible also...lets face it, the quality of your performance is not measured in an onsite institution. also who can determine your worth but hard work and determination. i will not be discouraged at any cost.

Members don't see this ad :)

2ND REQUEST -
Thx please post in non-traditional this was an error...i need more exposure to this question. also this has been done successfully by others already. they have either done post bac work to include their science prerequisite's or taken them at a 2 or 4 yr college and transferred the credit back to the online college. then successfully took the mcat and got accepted. i believe it is possible also...lets face it, the quality of your performance is not measured in an on site institution. also who can determine your worth but hard work and determination. i will not be discouraged at any cost.

You may need to PM her as she might not read this thread regularly. Or maybe the mod for this forum can help you out.

Does anyone know of anybody that received their undergrad degree from an online degree program and got accepted into med school?

I meet a guy with an interview to a DO school who attend U of Phoenix.

Don't get a degree online if you can avoid it. A few classes online would be ok, but there is much more to college than the degree.

What is your situation? why are you asking?

My husband has never really been to a university. He took classes at a community college, got credits through testing, and transferred them to an online school and paid for his degree. He was complete in December, applied to 8 schools, and has received interviews at 7 so far.