One semester of general chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CavsFan2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have seen that most schools require 2 semesters of general chemistry. However, at my school, they have transitioned to teaching only one comprehensive semester of general chemistry. I am a recent graduate looking to apply this cycle, and I am concerned about what medical schools are going to say about this.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I have seen that most schools require 2 semesters of general chemistry. However, at my school, they have transitioned to teaching only one comprehensive semester of general chemistry. I am a recent graduate looking to apply this cycle, and I am concerned about what medical schools are going to say about this.

Thank you!
Usually it says a certain number of hours

You will be SOL at many schools. I had a similar issue having taken my school's accelerated general chemistry and having skipped physics 1 for three separate engineering courses. Fortunately I had AP chemistry to count for another semester of chemistry. The physics stopped me from completing quite a few secondaries, however, even with a 15 on physical sciences.

These fixed requirements are ass backwards, especially when you can demonstrate your understanding with a strong MCAT. That is why schools are moving towards competency requirements.

Sent from my SM-G925V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
To be safe, take an upper level inorganic chemistry course if you only have one semester of general chemistry. It may be that by the time you apply, most schools will have already transitioned to competency-based admissions - many are in the process now.

Unfortunately, I have already graduated and am getting ready to submit my application. Would biochemistry be able to count for my other semester?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

At some schools yes, at other schools no, but this will not impact your admissions chances.

If you take an offer of acceptance from a school, you will go thru a pre-matriculation process where you have your official transcripts sent directly to the school where they will be checked for prerequisite fulfillment. If you have a missing prereq you can make an appeal for a waiver of such a requirement. In your case of the i term comprehensive chem, it would likely than not be waived. You can also email/call schools and ask their advice, but I think this is a low risk issue.

If you want to be safe, as someone suggested take a higher course (which seems risk of grades), or simply take a gen chem II at a local CC in glide year.

So it won't hinder my chances of getting secondaries or getting an interview like @jih is suggesting?

I am thinking of taking a general chemistry II course at a local community college in the fall if I must, even though this would be ridiculous.

The vast majority of medical schools, with few exceptions, explicitly state that you may apply without having completed all your prerequisites. Not having a prerequisites on your transcript/AMCAS Primary will not hinder you applications chances. limit getting secondaries, or receiving any Interview Invites

Thank you, I appreciate your help.

Check the school websites. Some say explicitly that they must be completed by January of the year you apply or something like that. It's probably not enforced too harshly though.

I know someone IRL who took Biology II during the Spring semester of the glide year. Meanwhile, the applicant got into at least 6 schools, including at least 4 top 20s.