One more day to decide: 6/30 vs. 7/21 test date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texmex11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I took the MCAT in 2013 and received a score of 35. Unfortunately, it's expired at most schools I'm applying to. I just graduated from an MPH program, so now I'm studying to take the MCAT again this summer. Looking for some advice on my situation:

--I've already submitted my TMDSAS and AMCAS applications to schools that accept my old score.
--My MCAT is scheduled for June 30th with an August 1st score release date.
--Yesterday, I took my first practice test untimed (AAMC Practice Test 1) and scored a 507.
--With studying, I'm hoping to increase my score to at least 510 by June 30th.

Should I delay until July 21st with an August 22 score release date to aim for a higher score? Or will this later date for my complete application severely hurt my chances of getting an interview?

Any advice is helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OP - your 35 strongly suggests you're an excellent testtakers and very smart. The 507 is simply an anomaly because its a very different exam. If you study all the high yield MCAT topics (ex. Amino acid names, abbreviations (3 and 1 letter), and structures), you can pull it up by June 30. Are you confident you can do that?

I'd suggest you take the July 21 exam. You'll beast it and you won't be late by any means with an Aug 22 test score release. aim to submit your AMCASA as soon as possible and have your committee letter and additional letters of recommendation all uploaded by then. If you can be complete by the end of August, you'll be set.

Thank you for your reply! I think I could get all of those key facts memorized and work on my weak points by June 30th. I think it's the difference between getting a decent score by the 30th or a really good score by July 21st and how much it would "cost" me in the timing of my application. Luckily I've already submitted AMCAS and I'm waiting for my undergrad to submit my letters of rec, but they've all been completed. Schools will just be waiting on my score.

It's reassuring to know you don't think the Aug 22 score release is late, which is what I'm worried about. I called two medical schools and they basically said early is good, but don't submit with a bad score and that there will still be interview slots available at that time. I was looking for some additional insight though from other people that have been studying for the exam/have any advice to give, so thank you!

Thank you for your reply! I think I could get all of those key facts memorized and work on my weak points by June 30th. I think it's the difference between getting a decent score by the 30th or a really good score by July 21st and how much it would "cost" me in the timing of my application. Luckily I've already submitted AMCAS and I'm waiting for my undergrad to submit my letters of rec, but they've all been completed. Schools will just be waiting on my score.

It's reassuring to know you don't think the Aug 22 score release is late, which is what I'm worried about. I called two medical schools and they basically said early is good, but don't submit with a bad score and that there will still be interview slots available at that time. I was looking for some additional insight though from other people that have been studying for the exam/have any advice to give, so thank you!
Currently studying for my MCAT (this Friday!) Inbox with specifics. There are common high yield topics, I'll list as many as I can off the top of my head, but do a quick google and SDN search as well.

Phys/Chem
-Learn how to apply bio/biochem to phys/chem situations (i.e. pH, some amino acids with respect to blood flow/circuits)

Bio/Biochem
-Amino Acids
-All intermediates of metabolism and such (Glycolysis, Krebs, ETC)
-Michaelis-Menten Kinetics

Psy/Soc
-Kohlberg stages
-Piaget Stages
-Recency effect
-Fundamental attribution error

I agree with the adcom you spoke with; applying early with a meh score vs. Aug 22 with a great score (512+) and you'll have much higher success. Being complete before labor day (for MD) is a marker of early/late. In an ideal world, we'd all have submitted AMCAS with our scores on June 1 and be complete July 1st with pre-written secondaries, but that won't kill us if we show admissions we get that 512+.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck with your MCAT!

I'm on break from a timed practice test, so I'm interested to see how this goes. I checked with some Kaplan MCAT instructors who recommended keeping my June 30th date. Weirdly, third-party advisors seem to be pushing more for the "submit early" than the med school admissions reps I spoke to. Not sure how to weight their input against each other...

Recent tests (March-June) have shown that studying "high yield" topics isn't actually high yield. LOTS of "low yield" things on recent tests.

Reactions: 1 user
Update: Kept the 6/30 date and got that 510. Have also received several secondaries :) I hope your test went well, and thanks again for your feedback!

Reactions: 2 users