One Interview...Should I retake the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caffeinatedpredent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you think I should retake my DAT and try to score higher? I took my test the first week of July and started submitting my apps immediately. Almost all my schools were sent out by the first week of August. I have one interview so far, so naturally I am getting antsy and thinking about what I need to do if I have to reapply. I completed an academic enhancing post-bac because of my lower gpa and received a 3.97 in my 3 semesters of additional coursework.

sGPA is 3.29 and Overall is a 3.39.
DAT- AA: 21 TS: 21 PAT: 22 RC: 23 GC: 24 OC: 21 Bio: 19 QR: 18

Did I just apply too late or do I need to retake the DAT beacuse of my bio and qr scores or should I consider a one year masters program?

EC wise I have around 800 hours of dental assisting/shadowing, 400 hours volunteering and have actively been involved in research throughout undergrad and in my post-bac.

Thanks for any input! Just a nervous pre-dent here who spends every waking hour thinking about all things application and dental school related!!

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if you think I should retake my DAT and try to score higher? I took my test the first week of July and started submitting my apps immediately. Almost all my schools were sent out by the first week of August. I have one interview so far, so naturally I am getting antsy and thinking about what I need to do if I have to reapply. I completed an academic enhancing post-bac because of my lower gpa and received a 3.97 in my 3 semesters of additional coursework.

Did I just apply too late or do I need to retake the DAT beacuse of my bio and qr scores or should I consider a one year masters program?

EC wise I have around 800 hours of dental assisting/shadowing, 400 hours volunteering and have actively been involved in research throughout undergrad and in my post-bac.

Thanks for any input! Just a nervous pre-dent here who spends every waking hour thinking about all things application and dental school related!!

your bio and qr scores are not bad at all
what schools did you apply to and what is your state of residency?

your bio and qr scores are not bad at all
what schools did you apply to and what is your state of residency?

Thanks, I didn't think they were that bad until I kept seeing so many people with 22+ TS/AA, plus I obviously have to offset my GPA so now I'm thinking it isn't enough.

I'm a CA resident and I applied very broadly. 27 schools so basically all the CA schools and most of the schools that accept OOS. Off the top of my head I did not apply to MSDOH, Creighton, LECOM, Utah, Marquette

Members don't see this ad :)
Just sit tight girl! There are plenty of us out here with similar stats that get in (at least that's what I tell myself!). Remember that SDN is most definitely not representative of the actual applicant pool. Look at the GPA ranges for most schools and you'll see for yourself!

As for interviews (CONGRATS BTW) you just gotta wait it out. If you look at the interview/acceptance thread you'll see people currently getting interviews for schools they applied to 3 months ago. Yours will start rolling in!

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't. Patience

You'll definitely get a few post december interviews I personally know ppl with lower stats then you that got 5+ interviews. And dont judge yourself by what people post on sdn theres a lot of gunners and over achievers on here. Those with average stats arent normally posting them for everyone to see.

Reactions: 3 users
I wouldn't. My PAT and QR were both 19

27 schools! Wow, you're rich

Yea just be patient. I have a lower gpa and almost identical DAT, except a 16 in QR and have three interviews already.

One interview is all it takes for some people. Just hang on.

Reactions: 2 users
27 schools! Wow, you're rich

Lots of sacrifices, but grateful to be in the position to be able to do that :) It's crazy how many schools my friends who are applying to medical school applied to... most of them around 30+

Just wait. If you dont get accept, retake DAT then apply again next year

Status
Not open for further replies.