One Hundred Ways To Kill Time Before The 18th.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faebinder

Slow Wave Smurf
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright folks... it's time for the top 100 ways to kill time till the match is up!

I will start:

1) Take stupid surveys like "The Geek Test!"

2) Doing laundry!

3) Count reasons why the surgery wards always smell bad.

4) Make stupid posts.

Members don't see this ad.

5) Worry about things you can't control and post messages in this forum and others trying to figure out if the fact that they mispelled your first name on your interview invite means you are a middle tier candidate in their eyes.

5) reply to stupid posts on SDN
6) point out to Faebinder that the 17th and the 20th are the critical dates
7) read the definitive textbook on your specialty of choice
8) search for an apartment in all the cities you could potentially move to
9) adopt a new hobby, like knitting
10) start paying more attention to politics
11) visit the nrmp website repeatedly in case they accidentally reveal your match result
12) stop slacking off on your current rotation
13) get a part-time job
14) sleep :sleep:

5) reply to stupid posts on SDN
6) point out to Faebinder that the 17th and the 20th are the critical dates
7) read the definitive textbook on your specialty of choice
8) search for an apartment in all the cities you could potentially move to
9) adopt a new hobby, like knitting
10) start paying more attention to politics
11) visit the nrmp website repeatedly in case they accidentally reveal your match result
12) stop slacking off on your current rotation
13) get a part-time job
14) sleep :sleep:

15) read articles on emedicine
16.) play chess against your computer
17.) surf through channels on your TV
18.) go online for hours at a time, visiting favorite sites like SDN and youtube frequently
19) come back to SDN repeatedly to see what is going on when you have nothing better to do
20.) play pool

watch three seasons of Lost in 4 days.

irrationally buy rock band (a $200 video game) and play it with your imaginary friends.

-wax your floors
-go to chinatown
-cook meals that takes hours to prepare and that you would in no way contemplate if post-duty
-meet up with highschool/college friends

-make a countdown that ends March 17th at noon EST and check it numerous times per day...oh, wait...drmaya beat me to it and has already created a thread just for that.

28) Drink pina coladas on the beach
29) Work on a suntan
30) Snorkel
31) Visit ancient Mayan ruins
32) Avoid uber-drunk Spring Breakers
33) Catch my flight to Cancun this week! Whoohoo!

37.) make a myspace page and post stupid bulletins
38.) shop online
39.) check NRMP to make sure your 1st choice is still in the correct position.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this thread

39.) check NRMP to make sure your 1st choice is still in the correct position.

Oh my gosh, I thought I was the only person who did that :oops:

40) Play tons of Tiger Woods 08 on the Wii

41) spending time checking other people's match lists on SDN and being happy that they don't include my top choices
42) contemplating participating in one of those videos made by medstudents on Youtube that my classmates are making
43) hoping all the sleep i am getting now carries over into intern year
44) reading as much Bill Simmons, sportsguy, on ESPN.com as possible
45) doing 4 hour blocks of ESPNews
46) preparing for my baseball fantasy draft, by participating in mock drafts online

47) seeing how many pairs of school-issued scrubs you can "borrow" before intern year begins

48. Rediscover SDN and start posting again! (Hey everyone).
49. Go to the gym every day of the week.
50. Price a trip to the Caribbean leaving on Friday the 21st, just to see how much it would cost.

51. Sleep
52. Get up before the butt-crack of dawn to go in to your ICU rotation
53. Preround on ICU patients
54. Rounds on ICU patients
55. Scutwork
56. Possibly more scutwork
57. Come home
58. Sleep
59. Wash, rinse, repeat

:)

Last edited:
68) Obsessively breaking down stats for the NCAA basketball tournament
69) Wondering if your team will be in or out
70) Baseball spring training!
71) Hitting the gym like it's religion!
72) Attempting not to flip out every time a family member/friend/acquaintance on rotation/guy at the grocery store asks "So where are you headed next year?"
73) Scrubs, scrubs and more scrubs (although the last couple of seasons just aren't as good!)

Some things I've been working on:

#74. Try out new recipes and share them with your friends while saying, "oh I just whipped this up after med school today..."
#75. Go through all your stuff and give half of it away.
#76. Repeat #75- it feels wonderful.
#77. Tell your attending every afternoon that you have a counseling appointment for your senioritis after lunch (which you take @11AM).
#78. Work out excessively.
#79. Throw a party.
#80. Review financial aid debt, drink wine.
#81. Volunteer at the local animal shelter.

I forgot #82:
Go to the local massage school for discounted massage as your afternoon "doctor's appointment".

68)
72) Attempting not to flip out every time a family member/friend/acquaintance on rotation/guy at the grocery store asks "So where are you headed next year?"

How I love this!!... It just took me 4 hours to get the reality of the match out of my mind and so I thank you very much for reminding me about it's occurance next week:mad: It just makes me want to say something inappropriate to them in response....something like: "Man you look fat today, have you been gaining weight?"

#83- Start drawing again and love that it takes hours of doing it perfectly to create anything worth saving.
#84- Start jogging again... man I hate running, but you think about the match a little less when your legs are cramping like crazy and you can barely walk.
#85- Take your car to a carwash, instead of waiting for rain like you did usually.
#86- Play all of your Xbox games again and try to set records in everyone of them all over again.

#87. Obsessively start listing all your med school textbooks that you'll never need again for sale on Amazon and Craigslist
#88. Spend so many hours playing Wii that your eyes burn when you're done.
#89. Totally slack off in your current rotation because you don't need to know any of it in the specialty you're going into

51. Sleep
52. Get up before the butt-crack of dawn to go in to your ICU rotation
53. Preround on ICU patients
54. Rounds on ICU patients
55. Scutwork
56. Possibly more scutwork
57. Come home
58. Sleep
59. Wash, rinse, repeat

Nice to know that I'm not the only one doing this. At least all the rounding and scut distracts me from my countdown somewhat.

#90. Watch reruns of Law & Order, Law & Order: SVU, Law & Order: CI. (It's on as I'm typing this - heck, it's always on!)
#91. Play checkers with your six-year old cousin and lose game after game.
#92. Wear out a path in the carpet, pacing back and forth.
#93. Read chick-lit novels like Slummy Mummy. (I love it - distracts me really well.)
#94. Get on the treadmill while watching reruns of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.
#95. Make a list of all the things you'll buy with your first PGY-1 paycheck. :) (Assuming there'll be any left after rent and moving expenses.)

96. Blow off afternoon clinic
97. Read Sports Guy Archives
98. check out new music at www.pandora.com
99. watch classic ER (season 1 baby!)
100. wow, did we get this far on the list?

Talk to irrational, non-compliant inmate patients at the county hospital at 5AM... :thumbup: Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy:thumbup:

hmmm, I think we could go far past 100. Maybe 1000???

101. look up all your old friends and call/write them
102. file your taxes early
103. update your Facebook status q5 mins
104. start watching a soap opera
105. read long books like Gone with the Wind, or East of Eden

106. Go to bed at 9pm just so you don't have to think about the match anymore.

107. Clean apartment. Again.
108. Play with Freud action figure.
109. Watch movies from 7th grade. (Watch out, "Labryinth" and "Pride and Prejudice," here I come.)
110. Fret about "Selection Sunday" - will my team make it? (It does miraculously lessen the fear about "selection monday and thursday!")

112.) try to figure out what's up with attendings that don't understand the 4th year med students' level of interest in pretty much anything
113.) PTI w/ kornheiser and wilbon!
114.) figure out my cinderella for the tourney...and look like a genius if i'm right
115.) imagine selling my car and getting a new car for residency...

116) Go to disneyworld for three days when you should be in your blowoff rotation
117) housetrain a puppy
118) work out until you can no longer walk
119) spend hours on SDN, reading and rereading stupid posts
120) Go over the rent vs. buy dilemma about a million times

121) Revert back to teenage girl mentality and start watching "American Idol" obsessively

122.) Watch epidodes of House, both new ones and reruns.

123.) Read all kinds of novels, from Robin Cook to Stephen King to James Fenimore Cooper's Last of the Mohicans

124.) Go bowling

125.) Get your buddies together and play poker

127. email all the second and third years with listings of all the med school books you want to sell
128. watch CNN and wonder if the democratic tiebreaker is ever going to end
129. ask your intern friends whether the subject line in the "did i match" email said "Congrats you matched!" or "sorry sucka!!!"

130. Keep checking the "how to kill time" thread in order to kill time.

131. Sit back and think about how abstract and far away this seemed when you were a first year. Think about how crappy that was and how much better this is. I'd much rather be ruminating about this than back in those days!!

132. Watch Project Runway for the tenth time
133. " ANTM " " " "
134. Fall asleep on couch with cat on lap
135. Worry about everything you could be doing now (instead of watching reruns) that you won't be able to next year
136. Bake a cake
137. Google "slummy mummy" (?)

138. Try to get five stars on all songs in expert mode on guitar hero II and III.
139. Giggle at my roommates unfortunate luck of getting a POS elective rotation that over works him, while my elective lets me out at 11am every day.

140. Make an itunes playlist for each of the programs on your match list
141. Join the political campaigns of Clinton, Obama, AND McCain, and enjoy the fracas :smuggrin:

142. Contact a mortgage loan officer and see how much house you can afford.

143. Contact a realtor in the city of your top several choices and set up an appointment for the weekend after the match.

144. Search the MLS for your top house choices in each of those cities.

145. Go shopping for furniture at Rooms-To-Go, buy furniture, and tell them to hold it until you are sure where you will live.

146. Go to the Unmoderated SDN forums and post incessantly on all of the forums that have nothing to do with medicine to get your mind off of it.

147. Make new SDN, Yahoo, and AIM screennames that contain with your top choices, and be ready to switch over as soon as the match is done.

148 - search for the ideal drug that puts u in a temporary coma that wakes u up on th 17th at 12:01pm, for 5 mins, then again on the 20th at 1pm

149. Make Pandora radio stations.
150. Get a haircut instead of going to clinic.

151. watching youtube videos on match day

152. Watch all episodes of Sex and the City
153. Do origami.
154. Eat dark chocolate
154. Do Yoga and acheive inner peace :)

153. Vegetate
154. Wii
155. something
156. consider prep for step 3
157. Watch all of scrubs over and over
158. daydreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ohh sorry what was i writing again
159. finish playing all those games you wanted to play in the past 5 years.
160. Do the opposite of what we preach to the patients (eg. being a couch potato, not exercising, not watching watch we eat aka BECOME A SOB!!!!!!)

161. Drinking!!!!!!! (Wooooooo)

162. Looking at my horoscope for 3/17 and 3/20...

163- try to think of something that hasn't been said, and add it to the list:D:D

164. Buy "Wine for Dummies" and read it cover to cover