"On the Job" training and credentialing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I-dont-do-source-control

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Supposing I graduate my residency without doing xyz procedure eg thoracentesis, LP, arthrocentesis, etc, but later on find I a job I like except they somehow want me to do this procedure, is there a way to get trained formally or credentialed after graduating residency?

The main example I have seen of this is hospitalist jobs that require intubation, I am comfortable in the ICU but would not be comfortable managing an airway (nor do i think that IM should be totally comfortable), but what if there was a job that wanted you to try and had some back up for difficult airway etc? is there a way I could get some basic intubation training if I never got a chance for RSI in residency?

All of this is moot I guess, since I am happily matched into an ID fellowship, I was just trying to understand the system.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Plenty of places will allow you to get credentialed after X number of proctored procedures. The issue is that, for many of these procedures, the frequency with which they get done by hospitalists continues to decrease and as such, there just might not be the opportunity to do so. And if you work in a place with the resources, it’s much easier to have someone else do them.

I’m the Medicine department chair at the large community hospital where I have my office and about half of the hospitalist credentialing packets I’ve reviewed so far this year have had privileges reduced because they couldn’t get their proctored numbers in the past 2 years.