On the fence about taking an additional class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiteralLungs

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying right now and have 3 interviews coming up within the next few weeks with MD and DO programs.

I have been put on hold at several schools (may reevaluate me later)

I have been out of undergrad for 5 years without taking formal coursework.

I am a reapplicant. At the advice of my advisor, and a couple of the school websites to which I am reapplying, I registered for a single upper level biology class as a non degree seeking student.

I also work full time. I am strongly considering adding another class in the hopes that it might sway schools who put me on hold (under the assumption that they want to reevaluate me in the context of more coursework, as they may have seen my mention of more coursework being taken on my secondary).

My fear is that I might screw something up, because I have 3 interviews lined up right now that I want to focus on preparing for. With full time work and already taking one course, I don't want to risk adding another course and potentially
a. doing poorly in one of the classes
b. not preparing enough for my interviews

Members don't see this ad.

What upper-level class is this? How would this affect your sGPA? Can you wait to take this class in the winter term?

I would focus fully on the interviews. Three is a great haul.

Reactions: 1 users
What upper-level class is this? How would this affect your sGPA? Can you wait to take this class in the winter term?

Thanks. My sGPA is fine, and I expect any class I take to have a minimal effect on my undergrad GPA, which is weighted by a full 4 year undergrad degree.

Me taking additional coursework was meant to address the concern of me being out of school for years

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

@LiteralLungs You've got three interviews because the schools are happy with the experience + schooling you already have. Focus on making sure you're rested and ready for the interview just as @Mr.Smile12 suggested. Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Echoing what's been said above: Given that you have three interviews, it appears that your application is already satisfactory. Moreover, I doubt that one class would move the needle (even if your application were not satisfactory).

Reactions: 1 user