This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twinkie2!97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was put on hold pre-interview for my top school last week:(. Since I haven't had an interview yet I felt it was a bit premature to write an LOI at this point but I've pretty much made up my mind that I am going to call the admissions office this week to hopefully boost my chance even by a hair because I have nothing else to lose at this point.

So I was wondering if you had any advice about what to say/ask and who to speak with?

I was thinking I could ask if there was anything I could do to boost my chances since they are not taking updates at this time. I was also hoping to see where I am on the wait list and to try and express why I the school is a good fit for my and I am a good fit for it. (Examples of how to go about a convo like this would be greatly appreciated)

Would it be too extreme to ask to be put on a waitlist for any last minute interview cancellations?:shrug:
or to write a letter asking for an interview?

I'm basically worried the phone call wont get my anywhere and they wont even remember my name after it.

Members don't see this ad.

“I'm basically worried the phone call wont get my anywhere and they wont even remember my name after it.”

This statement you made is pretty accurate.

You’re correct that LOI is used more by those on a waitlist attempting to gain admittance. I don’t think that would benefit you pre-II.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys, I was put on hold pre-interview for my top school last week:(. Since I haven't had an interview yet I felt it was a bit premature to write an LOI at this point but I've pretty much made up my mind that I am going to call the admissions office this week to hopefully boost my chance even by a hair because I have nothing else to lose at this point.

So I was wondering if you had any advice about what to say/ask and who to speak with?

I was thinking I could ask if there was anything I could do to boost my chances since they are not taking updates at this time. I was also hoping to see where I am on the wait list and to try and express why I the school is a good fit for my and I am a good fit for it. (Examples of how to go about a convo like this would be greatly appreciated)

Would it be too extreme to ask to be put on a waitlist for any last minute interview cancellations?:shrug:

I'm basically worried the phone call wont get my anywhere and they wont even remember my name after it.
Drop the sense of entitlement and the self-sabotaging behavior, because the only thing you're going to do is annoy the Admissions staff.

Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not.

Schools stratify the apps as they come in and don't send out secondaries or IIs merely in chronological order.

You should consider yourself rejected and be working on Plan B until you finally get that accept email in your Inbox.

You are already ARE on a waitlist for interviews. You might be at position 2, or 2000.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you for your advice, I think I will hold off at least until November. While I fully anticipated responses like yours, I can't ignore the countless others that referenced their own personal experiences speaking with admissions staff only to report that it made the difference of them actually getting an interview and then ultimately an acceptance... I really do appreciate your input but I'm just attempting to sift through a lot of competing input to give myself the best shot. I feel like I don't have much to lose at this point since this school's "hold" list is basically a soft R

Thank you for your advice, I think I will hold off at least until November. While I fully anticipated responses like yours, I can't ignore the countless others that referenced their own personal experiences speaking with admissions staff only to report that it made the difference of them actually getting an interview and then ultimately an acceptance... I really do appreciate your input but I'm just attempting to sift through a lot of competing input to give myself the best shot. I feel like I don't have much to lose at this point since this school's "hold" list is basically a soft R

These are people who have obvious deficits in understanding cause and effect. Don't be like them.

If you do end up doing this please update the thread with outcome to help future applicants

Reactions: 1 user