Omsite test comments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buggzzen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Below is an email my Chairman forward to us residents. I agree that people should remain professional but it was presented that comments on this exam where of the anonymous nature. Now that seems to be in question. Any thoughts on this???

"Soon you will be receiving a report detailing your residents’ performance on the 2010 Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Self-Assessment Tool (OMSITE). I am writing to share a concern with you that we hope you will discuss with your residents. The ABOMS examinations, administered via computer based testing at Pearson Centers contain a feedback process. During the examination candidates can comment on individual items as they proceed through the examination process. These comments are then reviewed by a committee of the Board to improve the quality of the examination. Unfortunately this year some residents left extremely non-professional comments. Certainly this represents only a few of those taking the examination and we do want to recognize the vast majority that used this feedback tool in the manner for which it was intended.

Although ABOMS is not planning to identify or sanction any specific individuals I would ask that you discuss with your residents the potential consequences of this non-professional behavior. Our goal is to recognize the collegial nature of our specialty. We attempt to treat each candidate with the respect that they deserve. In turn we expect that your residents will do the same by recognizing the time and effort that the volunteers have spent in the creation and development of the OMSITE.

If you would like to discuss this with me further, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I do want to thank you for your participation in the OMSITE program and trust that the reports you soon will receive will provide another helpful tool for your residency program."
Sincerely,
Stuart Lieblich, DMD
President, ABOMS

Members don't see this ad.

I find that funny. I didn't take the OMSITE this year but the OMSSAT was one of the most poorly written exams I have ever taken. For example, a question said "refer to the figure above to answer the following." The only problem was there was literally no figure. If they are going to make us take these things, they could at least proofread them. Talk about professionalism. I haven't had that experience on any of my medical board exams.

I find that funny. I didn't take the OMSITE this year but the OMSSAT was one of the most poorly written exams I have ever taken. For example, a question said "refer to the figure above to answer the following." The only problem was there was literally no figure. If they are going to make us take these things, they could at least proofread them. Talk about professionalism. I haven't had that experience on any of my medical board exams.

I remember that question! I also remember getting asked about tooth #8 on a panorex and the xray had one of those big white streaks down the middle so you couldn't see ANY anterior teeth.