OMS from Louisville or UNLV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Concepcion10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
All things equal for the student: high class rank, great board scores (I know it will be pass or fail) but for the sake of the conversation, 2-3 externships, research.....etc. Which school would lend a higher advantage to doing well in OMS? My only concern is Louisville has 120 class size vs. UNLV who only has 80. Also, I have read many arguments supporting the fact that one should attend a school with specialites in order to "buddy up" to the home program. Louisville is a 6 year and as of right now I am not very interested in 6 more years nor the medical degree. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's really awesome that you're thinking about these types of things but you're going to far with it.

The dudes at Louisville OMS are awesome and will likely be awesome for your 4 years as a dental student. That will make buddying that much easier. The things you mentioned (grades, boards, research) is based 100% on you, not the school. Your ability to perform is based upon your happiness your ability to stay focused on boring material and thus the geographic location, entertainment and stress release options, nearness or farness from family, etc will all have a far greater impact.

It is very nice to have a home program though. The residents and attendings are generally very open and available for guidance.

Any cost differences? I feel like UNLV is pricey? Just keep your gut feeling in mind over the next few months as you pick your dschool. In the end it won't matter, they'll give you your ddsdmd and it'll be very painful at times. Big class size itself is not bad unless resources are being spread thin as deans cram more students into the classes.

Thanks so mush for the advice. As far as price goes they are relatively similar. Location UNLV is way closer to home than Louisville...