OMS Externship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diezel69x

The Oral Pathologist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, does anyone know in details what does exactly "hands-on" externship include? I am doing a week in Motefiore this spring, and just really curious how extensive the hands-on portion of it is. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Supposedly Parkland and New Orleans are about as hands on as they get. I didn't do either, but they're both supposed to be great.

LSU Shreveport and Kentucky are just as hands on as Parkland. Extract as many teeth as you want in the clinic and may get a chance to get your hands dirty in the OR as well. I have heard from a friend of mine that LSU New Orleans will pretty much let you be a Surgeon while you are there.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can do an externship as a D2? How did you get it?

Call the program, apply. I did an externship between D1 and D2 year (albeit I go to Pacific). LSU-NO was an amazing program to extern at, I'd recommend it to anyone. PM me for more info.

Last edited:
You can do an externship as a D2? How did you get it?

Ye, you gonna need few papers from the dean and your own malpractice insurance because the school doesn't provide it until the D3 year, so if you are willing to do it, you can get it done, or just wait until the third year or do observer externship.

Just out of curiousity, what other programs do people know of that allow you to do externships after D1 or D2 years? Thanks!

Students at Pacific have had success externing at these programs as D1's:
LSU-NO
Jacksonville
Carle
USC
UW

Can't touch a patient at UW. Great program but a pretty lame externship if you are looking for hands-on.

Can't touch a patient at UW. Great program but a pretty lame externship if you are looking for hands-on.

That's what I have heard about UW also, but I guess it wouldn't be a bad thing for a D1 or D2 to do since I am assuming that if a program let you do an externship at that stage in your schooling that they wouldn't let you do much hands on anyway. Probably more observational-type externiships.
Has anyone else done this or should I just wait until D3 to start worrying about externships? I am considering doing 1 or 2 after D1 and D2 even if they are just observer-type externships just to get more exposure. Of course I will try and do a few after D3, but what are your thoughts?

I went to shreveport, alabama and emory. Shreveport was the most fun by far. Alabama is somewhat restrictive in what they will let you do in clinic (its in the dental school). At emory you can do stuff at Grady.

That was the student's experience who went there. Same story at Jacksonville.

Jax is hardly lame. You can pull teeth all you want in their clinic. It's at a much slower pace than LSU as an example. And it didn't seem like it was every day. Although I didn't keep track of the teeth clinic much. They do have a resident lab and I bet you could pour up models to your heart's content for orthognathic sx.

If you're at Jax though, you don't want to be pulling teeth. You want to be questioning your ability to hold your pee for 14 hours while those neck dissections go down, all the while holding back the greasy eggs you likely had for breakfast. Or at least working out on the bowflex....

Anyone thinking about H&N cancer should check out Jax. Neat trauma cases as well.

Jax is hardly lame. You can pull teeth all you want in their clinic. It's at a much slower pace than LSU as an example. And it didn't seem like it was every day. Although I didn't keep track of the teeth clinic much. They do have a resident lab and I bet you could pour up models to your heart's content for orthognathic sx.

Didn't notice that I quoted it as "lame", I was just referring to the "hands off" aspect or both programs.

Didn't notice that I quoted it as "lame", I was just referring to the "hands off" aspect or both programs. My bad.

I'm an intern at jax, and I routinely let dental students do as much work as they can. It's a little hard as a D1 or a D2 to get experience doing procedures, but we have so many surgeries going on you're more than welcome to hop in and retract. However, you'll get a huge bang for your buck if you're a D3 or D4. I've seen dental students take out teeth, sew faces closed in the trauma bay, write notes,and present patients. Come prepared, and you will have an awesome time. We're not going to teach you how to do a procedure, but we will teach you how to do it better.

Just out of curiousity, what other programs do people know of that allow you to do externships after D1 or D2 years? Thanks!

Here at LSU-NO, we've had three D-2 externs in the past year.

I started this thread last spring, i gotta say im glad i did that externship, i pulled about 20 teeth during that week, which was a ton for me then, and i gotta say that most programs in NY area would take a D2, because i loved it so much i started applying to other places and noone seemed to say no, its just the finals and the boards were coming up, so i havent done any until i was officially D3.

Hey, does anyone know in details what does exactly "hands-on" externship include? I am doing a week in Motefiore this spring, and just really curious how extensive the hands-on portion of it is. Thanks.

Parkland was defintely extensively "hands on" but mostly in the call room. In the clinic, I remember running two rooms at a time and pulling at least 150+ teeth in 2 weeks while the interns sat around the office farting and checking out each other's schlongs on CT scans of themselves. I do remember closing my first lac there (I don't THINK that poor unconcious dude in the ICU needed a secondary scar revision). Also, Spanish is a plus: "Sir do you speak English? No, uhh okay, sign here."