OMS 13 Month Battle Plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MentalDental81

Reaction score
Hello friends and colleagues.

I apologize for the essay I'm, about to unleash on you, but I hope you will indulge me.

A bit about myself: I'm originally from South Africa where I trained as a dentist. I'm now based in Canada, where I've spent the past few years slogging through the Canadian boards for foreigners (i.e. the "Equivalency Process"). I somehow managed this while simultaneously hustling on the wrong side of the chair as a certified dental assistant- all while juggling my family responsibilities. I was making good progress, until I had an epiphany of sorts and I decided this wasn't the path for me.

I wanted to be North American legit.

Through an alignment of the stars, I managed to land a spot at a two-year qualifying program at a Canadian dental school- starting in 2022. I see this as both a blessing and a curse, because to me, the inherent value of becoming a CODA/CDAC accredited graduate lies in the ability to pursue a specialty here. Bloody hell. Now I have to keep going.

Like many of you, I've long dreamed of OMS as the ultimate end-goal. We're driven by something else, and no, its not money. I think we chase the complexity of it all. maybe its the ability to work at a different scale. Personally, I think aside from our dental training, we secretly also desire (covet?) that knowledge that our medical peers posses. It is what it is.

So here I am. a foreigner about to start D3, and planning for the CBSE. I'm giving myself 13.5 months as of writing this.

Here is my battle plan:

January 2022 - March 2022 Kaplans USMLE Step 1 lecture notes books set
( this will be a LIGHT intro into the basics of medical science, i.e. Anatomy, physiology, pathology, biochemistry/genetics, immunology/microbiology and behavioral sciences)

March 2022 - May 2022 Pathoma videos and textbook

March 2022 - September 2022 UWorld Qbank, 3500 questions averaging 17 odd questions / day)

March 2022 - September 2022 First Aid for USMLE (continual referral to the paperback while making notes)

September 2022 - January 2023 AMBOSS QBank (Recommended by a friend preparing for step 1)

September 2022 - January 2023 2 NBME CBSE practice exams

February 2023 CBSE

I would appreciate all respectful critique of this plan. I realize its somewhat hastily thrown together. but is it realistic? Does it look feasible, particularly considering the need to meet the simultaneous academic requirements of D3? Feel free to suggest sources I have omitted or suggestions on whittling my source list down to the bare essentials.

your friend and colleague

S.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I would focus on doing all the resources at the same time and using them to build off each other and cycle through the material as many times as possible instead of isolating out when you are going to use specific resources

I would focus on doing all the resources at the same time and using them to build off each other and cycle through the material as many times as possible instead of isolating out when you are going to use specific resources
Thank you OMFSLife123, I appreciate that. I was afraid someone would suggest that :(

Members don't see this ad :)
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face". And the CBSE is about to punch you in the face.

Study as much as you can, when you can. Don't focus too hard on a schedule.

Reactions: 5 users
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face". And the CBSE is about to punch you in the face.

Study as much as you can, when you can. Don't focus too hard on a schedule.
Thanks for the brutal honesty, much appreciated. Any suggestions per my sources- have I covered my bases? Cheers

I read through this fairly quickly, but maybe look into using Anki? I'm not sure if you're a notecard person, but I 100% believe Anki can help your outcome.

Good luck. I'd recommend taking the CBSE in July/August 2022. You can still plan to take it again in Feb 2023 if you don't score well. Give yourself multiple chances to succeed. You only have to submit your highest score come application time.

I read through this fairly quickly, but maybe look into using Anki? I'm not sure if you're a notecard person, but I 100% believe Anki can help your outcome.
Thanks lOuDMoUTH! I've heard good things about Anki, but I'm on the the fence at the moment. I'll probably cave though!
Good luck. I'd recommend taking the CBSE in July/August 2022. You can still plan to take it again in Feb 2023 if you don't score well. Give yourself multiple chances to succeed. You only have to submit your highest score come application time

Thanks Aftereffects! I just think it's too soon! I'm still trying to navigate the sheer scale and complexity of this behemoth!