OMFS resident AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PatsMan1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am an OMFS resident if you have any questions about which dental school are good to go to if you’re interested in OMFS or anything else AMA

Members don't see this ad.

How early did you know you wanted OMFS? Did you know many people who thought they wanted to do OMFS but decided not to pursue it later on?

Idk if you have insights to these two dental schools, but pursuing omfs at Ohio state vs Louisville. Any thoughts? Opinions welcome from anybody. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
How early did you know you wanted OMFS? Did you know many people who thought they wanted to do OMFS but decided not to pursue it later on?

I went to columbia
I decided at end of 2nd yea
Over 50% of those that applied and matched knew they wanted to do it from day 1

If you’re one of those pre dents who is interested in OMFS don’t be ashamed! I feel like people are afraid to say it. It’s good to get started from day 1! And if you choose later that’s good too!

Reactions: 1 user
Idk if you have insights to these two dental schools, but pursuing omfs at Ohio state vs Louisville. Any thoughts? Opinions welcome from anybody. Thank you!
I think it’s going to be relatively the same, would go to cheaper school at that point

Any advice for incoming D1? Ive heard figure out a study schedule and network as soon as possible. Would you recommend taking CBSE in between D1 and D2 or later? How soon should you start making strides to be involved in the OS department. Does having the UMich DS attached with my application carry any weight or does GPA and CBSE override any advantage that brings?

Any advice for incoming D1? Ive heard figure out a study schedule and network as soon as possible. Would you recommend taking CBSE in between D1 and D2 or later? How soon should you start making strides to be involved in the OS department. Does having the UMich DS attached with my application carry any weight or does GPA and CBSE override any advantage that brings?
Going to Umich DS doesn’t really carry weight.

Best schools to go to for OMFS in no particular order as they are all valued similarly:

Harvard
Columbia
Penn
Uconn
UCLA
UCSF

***note Harvard and columbia are the 2 schools with the most Omfs applicants that match (double digits every year) on average, will somewhat vary year by year***

If you don’t go to any of the schools mentioned above then you’re all in the same boat

Cbse most important take it when you’re ready depends school by school curriculum when is best time to take it
After CBSE GPA 2nd most important

Reactions: 1 users
Going to Umich DS doesn’t really carry weight.

Best schools to go to for OMFS in no particular order as they are all valued similarly:

Harvard
Columbia
Penn
Uconn
UCLA
UCSF

***note Harvard and columbia are the 2 schools with the most Omfs applicants that match (double digits every year) on average, will somewhat vary year by year***

If you don’t go to any of the schools mentioned above then you’re all in the same boat

Cbse most important take it when you’re ready depends school by school curriculum when is best time to take it
After CBSE GPA 2nd most important
Do you think that going to these schools (Columbia, Penn, etc.) are worth the additional cost if I'm set on matching OMFS? I'm putting together a list of schools to apply to, and it seems like the cheapest ones I can go to are about 350K-400K (for average schools) vs. 500k-550k (top schools).

I feel like students at these top schools tend to be more driven and academically talented, which might make it more difficult to stand out (especially at Penn, which does letter grades), versus at a lower ranked school, it might be easier to distinguish yourself, but then you don't get the boost from prestige.

Thank you!

Do you think that going to these schools (Columbia, Penn, etc.) are worth the additional cost if I'm set on matching OMFS? I'm putting together a list of schools to apply to, and it seems like the cheapest ones I can go to are about 350K-400K (for average schools) vs. 500k-550k (top schools).

I feel like students at these top schools tend to be more driven and academically talented, which might make it more difficult to stand out (especially at Penn, which does letter grades), versus at a lower ranked school, it might be easier to distinguish yourself, but then you don't get the boost from prestige.

Thank you!
So there is no correct and incorrect answer I will give you my thoughts.

Omfs match rate is 50% and getting lower each year. This means 50% of those that get at least 1 interview actually match a spot, and 50% do not. Overall, very very competitive.

In general it’s much easier to get into Omfs coming from a school on the list I mentioned above vs those that do not. They have a good reputation programs like them. Also most of the high CBSE score applicants from those schools. It may be because you have more opportunity to study for CBSE/you have med school curriculum. I can say from columbia: you take med school courses and you have lots of more free time D3/D4 to study compared to a state school (way more preclinical and clinical training - eats up time - less free time)

Of course there are good amount of applicants coming from schools not listed above every year.

IMO the extra money for dental school is an investment because if you become OMFS ON AVERAGE you make higher salary than general dentist (~2x-2.5x more per year)

i am an incoming D1 at columbia and i am very interested in specializing in ortho. i know you're an omfs resident but i was wondering what your thoughts were on ortho, specifically how well columbia does in sending people out to ortho? do you have any ballpark numbers any chance? also, according to the old data on CDM's website for post-grad plans, why does half of them go to gpr/aegd? for a school like columbia, i feel that it is too high, no? especially since many/most people choose that school for the specializing benefit. it leads me to think that those gpr/aegd people were not able to match successfully which is a scary thought since idk who goes into columbia wanting to go into general dentistry...

First of all, thank you for volunteering to do this AMA, we all greatly appreciate it! Second, I would like to know what is the best way to get involved in your OS department? My class size is relatively large and we're in the same boat as state schools (D3/D4, we're slammed with clinical courses basically). Any other tips for studying for the CBSE are greatly appreciated!

i am an incoming D1 at columbia and i am very interested in specializing in ortho. i know you're an omfs resident but i was wondering what your thoughts were on ortho, specifically how well columbia does in sending people out to ortho? do you have any ballpark numbers any chance? also, according to the old data on CDM's website for post-grad plans, why does half of them go to gpr/aegd? for a school like columbia, i feel that it is too high, no? especially since many/most people choose that school for the specializing benefit. it leads me to think that those gpr/aegd people were not able to match successfully which is a scary thought since idk who goes into columbia wanting to go into general dentistry...
Will try to weigh in as an ortho resident that went there:

1. Columbia does well at matching people to ortho. My year everyone who applied for ortho matched and I think there were about a dozen of us. In the year before 1-2 people didn't match and ended up matching the next year.

2. Half of them go to GPR/AEGD because they either realize they don't want to specialize (practicing in NYC requires an AEGD or GPR), or they want to specialize but didn't match and so they need to do something for the year during which they'll re-apply. It's rare for people go to straight into private practice out of Columbia. I'd say it's split about 60/40 between those two reasons.

3. Most people at Columbia probably either wanted to specialize or wanted to have the door to specialization open, but some people will realize during dental school that they don't want to specialize after all. It's always possible - if not likely - that the interests you have going into dental school change as you are exposed to the clinical reality of the specialty. Seeing a large chunk of students choose not to specialize is going to happen at any program.

The name alone definitely helps you get interviews, as does not being ranked and P/F. But it's still possible to not match to a specialty for any number of reasons no matter which dental school you go to, the biggest of which is usually how you do at the interview.

direct message me

Will try to weigh in as an ortho resident that went there:

1. Columbia does well at matching people to ortho. My year everyone who applied for ortho matched and I think there were about a dozen of us. In the year before 1-2 people didn't match and ended up matching the next year.

2. Half of them go to GPR/AEGD because they either realize they don't want to specialize (practicing in NYC requires an AEGD or GPR), or they want to specialize but didn't match and so they need to do something for the year during which they'll re-apply. It's rare for people go to straight into private practice out of Columbia. I'd say it's split about 60/40 between those two reasons.

3. Most people at Columbia probably either wanted to specialize or wanted to have the door to specialization open, but some people will realize during dental school that they don't want to specialize after all. It's always possible - if not likely - that the interests you have going into dental school change as you are exposed to the clinical reality of the specialty. Seeing a large chunk of students choose not to specialize is going to happen at any program.

The name alone definitely helps you get interviews, as does not being ranked and P/F. But it's still possible to not match to a specialty for any number of reasons no matter which dental school you go to, the biggest of which is usually how you do at the interview.

to build on this. columbia still "ranks" but not in the way you think message me if you are interested in finding out. It is not truly P/F