OMFS residency for FTDs with DDS/DMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMPACT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
Any foreign trained dentists here with DDS/DMD in a 6-year program out here? Or does anyone know of foreign dental grads in their 6-yr program....pleassssse let me know and I might focus my efforts on those programs.

I am interested to get onto 6-year OMFS residency- I have been told that the major blocks are that I am not a US citizen and second I don't have a BS(undergrad from US it seems is a MUST for Med schools). I am going back to school to get a DDS ONLY because 9/10 OMFS program directors I met told me they will look at my application favourably for 4-yr program) if I have a DDS

FMGs (foreign medical grads) doing Neurology residency have to go back to 2 years of Med School and FMGs without B.S. have gotten into these programs..I wonder why the same rule doesn't apply to a FTD with DDS for a 6year OMFS residency.

Any ideas/opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
welcome to the reality, this is how it had been working so far. Spots for 6 year omfs are way less than spots for the medical residency I think. You must be a citizen--regardless if you have 99 on your part one, they wont consider you -- the undergard requirement comes from stringent medical schools,, bec omfs and med school application happen at the same time and if the medical school does not choose you, often times omfs can not do anything. They will look down at your american dental transcripts as well, because you were exempt from the first 2 years, so all other applicants will have a 4 year transcript but you will have the half of it. Technically you are qualified for the same residency but individual programs will enforce their own rules. This is the way it works. U Texas for instance would never accept a back ground like yours, per their med school's requirement. I know 2 ftds , who after obtaining their american degrees matched to omfs, one was a 6 year one. But dont worry, after finishing the 4 year program , you can apply to medical school and get your MD and still be dual degree oral surgeon. Or else spend years to match the 6 year program. You can get advanced placement to medical school just like you are entitled to get advanced placement to dental school by the virtue of having a foreign dental degree. Oh by the way, be persistent, it takes couple of match cycles for most natural born americans, it may take a while for you as well, if not more, to match to oral surgery. Even if you are naturalized, your original nationality will always be important for some programs. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
welcome to the reality, this is how it had been working so far. Spots for 6 year omfs are way less than spots for the medical residency I think. You must be a citizen--regardless if you have 99 on your part one, they wont consider you -- the undergard requirement comes from stringent medical schools,, bec omfs and med school application happen at the same time and if the medical school does not choose you, often times omfs can not do anything. They will look down at your american dental transcripts as well, because you were exempt from the first 2 years, so all other applicants will have a 4 year transcript but you will have the half of it. Technically you are qualified for the same residency but individual programs will enforce their own rules. This is the way it works. U Texas for instance would never accept a back ground like yours, per their med school's requirement. I know 2 ftds , who after obtaining their american degrees matched to omfs, one was a 6 year one. But dont worry, after finishing the 4 year program , you can apply to medical school and get your MD and still be dual degree oral surgeon. Or else spend years to match the 6 year program. You can get advanced placement to medical school just like you are entitled to get advanced placement to dental school by the virtue of having a foreign dental degree. Oh by the way, be persistent, it takes couple of match cycles for most natural born americans, it may take a while for you as well, if not more, to match to oral surgery. Even if you are naturalized, your original nationality will always be important for some programs. Good luck.

Thanks Bleach
So basically its a closed door for non-US people to get into a 6year program until I can get a GC, undergrad and 4 year DDS and even then I might not be considered in top notch programs. Are these rules because of high demand/supply ratio? or federal funding? (private schools with 6 years programs should be open to non-US people in that case) or that there just aren't enough FTDs who have wanted to do the 6-year OMFS and hence no system in place for them?

Actually there are programs that take people with backgrounds like yours. I know my program have at least 2 or 3 international residents (who are foreign trained all the way up to dental school level, then received 2 years of additional dental training in US.)

The medical school does play a big role in regards to visa. The one we affiliate with accepts non-US/Canadian students for themselves, so they do not mind at all if we want foreign trained dentists. We just had our 1st 2 days of interview with applicants for the upcoming year, and we have quite a few international people already. One applicant told me that he didn't go through the usual 2 years of dental school training; rather he did 2 years of AEGD and that makes him eligible for our program too.

If you are interested, please contact Jacobi and ask for info of those residents (you are welcome to PM me for any other questions too, but I am not foreign trained so know very little about visa matter.) I am sure there are other 6-year programs that take international residents, the best way to figure things out would probably be to contact the programs individually, and sometimes it helps to contact the admissions office of medical school too.

Best of luck~

Actually there are programs that take people with backgrounds like yours. I know my program have at least 2 or 3 international residents (who are foreign trained all the way up to dental school level, then received 2 years of additional dental training in US.)

The medical school does play a big role in regards to visa. The one we affiliate with accepts non-US/Canadian students for themselves, so they do not mind at all if we want foreign trained dentists. We just had our 1st 2 days of interview with applicants for the upcoming year, and we have quite a few international people already. One applicant told me that he didn't go through the usual 2 years of dental school training; rather he did 2 years of AEGD and that makes him eligible for our program too.

If you are interested, please contact Jacobi and ask for info of those residents (you are welcome to PM me for any other questions too, but I am not foreign trained so know very little about visa matter.) I am sure there are other 6-year programs that take international residents, the best way to figure things out would probably be to contact the programs individually, and sometimes it helps to contact the admissions office of medical school too.

Best of luck~

Thanks!!! such a relief- would be calling all OMFS programs individually from Monday onwards to ask about their intake requirements. Thanks a ton!!!!