OMFS Letter of Recommendation for General Surgery Residency (IMG)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AdamA

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m a UK medical student who is considering moving to the states after graduation.

My question is concerning letters of recommendation. I have 3 opportunities to gain US clinical experience, my first being this summer (elective). I’ve been emailing around different hospitals seeing who will take me and the only positive response I’ve had is from an OMFS associate professor & program director. I am aiming for a general surgery residency (ambitious, I know…) however if I were to rotate with this guy and get a solid letter from him, do you think it will stand as a good letter seeing as it’s from someone affiliated with the dental school as opposed to the medical school at his hospital?

The guy has all sorts of awards, is well known in his field and works at a prestigious university hospital. I know letters from the field you are applying to are favoured but time is against me in organising this first one. Bearing in mind I have two other opportunities for US clinical experience to rotate with a general surgeon. I might even use one of those to rotate in medicine just to get a letter from medicine and surgery.

Apologies for the long-winded inquiry, however any thoughts or advice would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.