OMFS as international dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pikaboo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I at a disadvantage because I got my dental degree from outside the us and Canada? I am a Canadian taking both boards, have so many shadowing positions inside Canada and the states, recommendation letters, 3000 hours of volunteering in a hospital In Canada. I study in Egypt by the way and their ranking system isn't the greatest so I would love to get any realistic expectations of how hard or if possible to get into an OMFS program. Thanks.

•_• hi •_•

Members don't see this ad.

Slim to nonexistent. You have to have an american degree. You also have to be a US citizen. If you become a US citizen or permanent resident and get an american degree (2 year IDP), then your chances increase, particularly if you get a strong CBSE score (75+). It would still be hard, mostly because of the nature and competitiveness of the normal application process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So the citizenship is a must or or at least. Now for the IDP I have to do it either way to work in the us so it's okay I am planning to do some interns as well if I get a score above 90 do you think my chances are much better (meaning is it worth it?)

•_• hi •_•

Members don't see this ad :)
OMFS may be a hard but most likely Perio programs may consider you. Is an option if your goal is to obtain a dental license in the US

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I realize it's hard I never said otherwise I was just wondering since I will have to get my license in us either way so I have to do an IDP or get a degree there I thought if they take the IDP ranking combined with a killer CBSE score and 3000+ volunteering in a hospital with excellent recommendation letters and an intern year or two I can squeeze couple of interviews. I get it and I am not looking to get into Harvard since I am into such a disadvantage but still you know? let me know what u think.