OMFS 6 year track: Which programs are med-school first?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ragnarock

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide on 6 year programs depending on whether they have an intern year first or a medschool year first. The reason is because I do not want to take the CBSE & STEP 1 again just prior to residency (i have my reasons!). Some program websites do not include the curriculum of their 6 year track, so I was hoping you guys could help with a list of programs that require med-school first! Any help would be seriously appreciated.

Cheers,

edit: I tried changing the thread to question format, but could not do so after posting. Sorry

Members don't see this ad.

You don’t want to take the CBSE and Step 1 prior to residency? So then wouldn’t you WANT a program that does med school after an intern year?

My program takes Step 1 before starting, but I think we might be the only one. Every other program has you take it later, whether they do intern year or med school first.

What are your reasons?

Last edited:
you better have some nice stats if you're nitpicking something like this

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not entirely sure of your question but for answering something:

Loma Linda: Intern year (majority of it) > finish MS1 > All of MS2 and take CBSE and Step 1 at the end of your second year of residency/Med School.

From when I interviewed:

UT-San Antonio
Baylor
LSU-Shreveport
Michigan

If you're seeking this out for family planning purposes, it will be much easier to have a kid during med school than when on Gen Surg or OMFS service

You don’t want to take the CBSE and Step 1 prior to residency? So then wouldn’t you WANT a program that does med school after an intern year?

My program takes Step 1 before starting, but I think we might be the only one. Every other program has you take it later, whether they do intern year or med school first.

What are your reasons?
Rutgers, University of Connecticut. I’m sure there’s more.

Skip the med school, do a 4 year, and shuck wizzies like every oral surgeon inevitably will

• Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
I feel like this is one of those things that seems important while applying but really doesn’t matter when you actually rank programs. Along with things like moonlighting, call, stipend amounts, etc.

Shreveport and UNMC require taking CBSE and passing step 1 prior to starting residency. UAB maybe? NOLA has the hybrid thing but don’t think you need to take step 1 until halfway through the year.

Generally speaking if the program has you matriculate as a MS3 or up you need to take step 1 prior to starting medschool, be it during intern year or during dental school. Shorter med school= probably have to do Cbse or step 1.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s honestly the best way to do it. Coming fresh off the CBSE and get it out of the way
Sucks at the time, but so glad to be done and not have it hanging over me/having to sit through MS2 wasting time

Reactions: 1 user