• Forums Updates - Tuesday at 1:00 AM Eastern
    We will be performing some system maintenance on Tuesday, June 11 starting around 1:00 AM Eastern. The forums will be unavailable for approximately one hour.

"Omega, what experience do you have in Pharmacy"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Omegadramon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Me: Err....I've read alot of blogs, talked to a bunch of pharmacists and pharmacy students on random internet forums and I've read alot of material about the career.....

....I'm screwed, aren't I?:scared:

For some reason, no hospital in Atlanta is accepting volunteers until fall..:(

BTW, I'm adding no more info on me....that I've posted later in topic. Here's the rest of my ECs....

I've tutored chemistry for a year and I've been in a research lab since Dec. Last summer I did a Research laboratory techniques internship. 2 years ago I worked in a Health clinic for 2 months, right before I started college (It was one of the reason why I'm in Pharmacy)

I plan on applying in August, when I get my PCAT scores from the June test.

Members don't see this ad.

i know how you feel

i only have a coupla hours of pharmacy shadowing, but i started working at a pharmacy this summer (i actually start next week)

i've delayed my application submission so that i can gain a little experience to write about it

i recommend you go to a pharmacy, any pharmacy and at least get a couple of hours of experience so you can write about it--even if you might need to "sugar up" the details

It's entirely possible to apply without any pharmacy experience. I know a couple people who went into the application process with only physical therapy and research experience and they've been accepted. As for me, I went primarly the research route with lots of hospital experience. I shadowed a few pharmacists (just enough so I could talk about it).

A lot of schools are pretty flexible in that regard, you just need to present it well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted without any pharmacy experience what so ever, i've only interviewed 2 pharmacists.
Good grades can get you in, and maybe some extracurricular activities.

I've tutored chemistry for a year and I've been in a research lab since Dec. Last summer I did a Research laboratory techniques internship.

I plan on applying in August, when I get my PCAT scores from the June test.

People (like me) get in without experience. They don't get in without some ability to talk about the profession. Research what pharmacists do. Spend some time with a pharmacology handbook. Don't memorize it. In fact, start with OTC drugs.

Shadow a pharmacist or two. Be able to converse about issues in pharmacy (Plan B, Medicare D, the Un-insured, pseudoephedrine, tobacco, etc). Be prepared to gracefully accept correction or challenge in your pharm school interview of any assertion or opinion you put forth. (They want to see how you'll react, not whether you're right or wrong.)

Good luck!

Me: Err....I've read alot of blogs, talked to a bunch of pharmacists and pharmacy students on random internet forums and I've read alot of material about the career.....

....I'm screwed, aren't I?:scared:

For some reason, no hospital in Atlanta is accepting volunteers until fall..:(

I am volunteering at Grady and in the pharmacy i work in at grady, it is only me and another person there but they have so much work for me to do when i get there. busy work basically but still work. have you looked at grady?

I was accepted into UT Austin without any pharmacy experience whatsoever. But I do have two years experience working in a reference lab doing blood tests (B.S. in clinical laboratory science). That probably helped me out. I was also able to talk about current issues in pharmacy. I did my research. So while it is possible to get in without pharmacy experience, I think getting experience in some health related field is important, as well as researching the field of pharmacy.

Good Luck!

I am volunteering at Grady and in the pharmacy i work in at grady, it is only me and another person there but they have so much work for me to do when i get there. busy work basically but still work. have you looked at grady?

Actually, I applied....but I guess the people who I told to refer me never sent back the letters that Grady faxed to them....and I don't want to impose on them....since I already asked them and warned them about it.

Maybe I should try again and get my friends to be Reccomenders? What do you say?

I got into three schools without actual pharmacy experience, and I might have gotten into more had I not procrastinated on my pharmacy school applications.

The reason why pharmacy experience is such a powerful asset in your application is because adcoms can more more certain that you are interested and knowledgeable about the profession. For a person like me who does not have pharmacy experience, the adcoms who reviewed my applications probably debated whether or not I knew what I was getting into and if I was really interested in pharmacy.

Like the others have said, you can accommodate your lack of experience by being informed about the profession, being active in other healthcare related stuff, saying that you participate here (I actually said this during my Creighton interview, and the interviewers actually wrote it down. I don't know if that meant anything..but hey):D. Adcoms don't want to admit people who are clueless about pharmacy and/or doing it as someone else's expectations.

Maybe you can look for privately owned pharmacies and ask the pharmacist to shadow them? Theres not many left but they're around somewhere and usually they're very helpful - its less busy so they can talk to you more while working.

I have zero behind-the-counter experience, no shadowing, never even interviewed a pharmacist.

Here's what I do have.

Took Medicinal Chemistry at Cal State.
Took Pharmacology, Pharmacy Calculations, and Pharmacy Systems at local CC. (all designed for Pharm Techs)
Passed PTCE one month before my USC interview.

So, I guess you could say I have some knowledge as to what to expect, but I have no idea about insurance, legal requirements (other than the notorious HIPPA and a couple minor other ones), no compounding, IV mixing, etc.

Having this lack of experience makes the "Why pharmacy?" question really hard to convince people of.

They still took me.:confused:

I have zero behind-the-counter experience, no shadowing, never even interviewed a pharmacist.

Here's what I do have.

Took Medicinal Chemistry at Cal State.
Took Pharmacology, Pharmacy Calculations, and Pharmacy Systems at local CC. (all designed for Pharm Techs)
Passed PTCE one month before my USC interview.

So, I guess you could say I have some knowledge as to what to expect, but I have no idea about insurance, legal requirements (other than the notorious HIPPA and a couple minor other ones), no compounding, IV mixing, etc.

Having this lack of experience makes the "Why pharmacy?" question really hard to convince people of.

They still took me.:confused:

Thanks....I was thinking of buying a PTCE studying book (Since I can't take the actual classes)and prehaps taking the Exam...or if I didn't take the Exam, atleast know the jargon.

I've been browsing this forum for about two months and I've been reading about the profession for a long time. I really do want to do pharmacy, it's just hard for me to find something to do that's in the health care field. (I did have one job at a health clinic for 2 months, but that was a few years ago.)

People (like me) get in without experience. They don't get in without some ability to talk about the profession. Research what pharmacists do. Spend some time with a pharmacology handbook. Don't memorize it. In fact, start with OTC drugs.

Shadow a pharmacist or two. Be able to converse about issues in pharmacy (Plan B, Medicare D, the Un-insured, pseudoephedrine, tobacco, etc). Be prepared to gracefully accept correction or challenge in your pharm school interview of any assertion or opinion you put forth. (They want to see how you'll react, not whether you're right or wrong.)

Good luck!

Thanks, I've just found this site....

http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/hp.asp

I'm currently familiarizing myself with all 200 of those popular prescribed drugs....right now I'm on Albuterol.

Got a site where I can read about all the popular OTCs? How about pharmacy news (I'm looking at pharmacist.com right now)

Thanks, I've just found this site....

http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/hp.asp

I'm currently familiarizing myself with all 200 of those popular prescribed drugs....right now I'm on Albuterol.

Got a site where I can read about all the popular OTCs? How about pharmacy news (I'm looking at pharmacist.com right now)

Manual Pick posted a PTCB matching game where you can match generic to Brand, class>Brand, class>generic, etc.

It's in the mentor forum.