Ole Miss Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kcjc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Evening, :)
This may come out terribly atrocious, but does anyone know how Ole Miss ranks with their pharmacy program? Our class was murdered this semester, and as probably happens in other programs the gossip mill is going about how Ole Miss is *not* the school to be at.
I was also wondering about other student's experiences with PBL, the problem-based learning that our fifth year consists of.... negative/positive.. do you think it will help you or just be another means of seeing how many students they can certify as insane.
Thanks for any input. :D

Members don't see this ad.

right now all i'm going to say is i hate PBL
we have had it for all three years...
we have a professor who has done a lot of research regarding PBL and the effects of it

if you want more on PBL let me know...
and if others are interested just let me know and i'll post it all here instead of in a PM

PBL is too often taught incorrectly. PBM assumes that students are self-initiated learners who already know the questions to ask.

PBL makes great sense right before rotations and at work, but I've found it to be detrimental in trying to instill basics.

By the way, it doesn't get much better anywhere else. I thought we had some attitude problem professors at Midwestern (seemingly all graduates of University of Arizona) and a few arrogant types here at UMN. Both schools complain widely about the difficulty of their programs (but I think UMN IS overbearing on their curriculum), and that their program isn't the place to be.

All in all, you find out that the people who trumpet the PBL system and the Socratic Method are either the most competent or the most incompetent of the faculty, and most of the time, the latter. It's really hard to make either of those systems work due to the organizational skills involved.

This is the system at present. I'm sorry, but you just have to endure the four years of pain and get out of there intact. Hey, it worked for me!

If you want to reform the system, become a preceptor. There, you can teach interns how to really act in real-life practice. And there's no better learning environment for PBL than actual problems!