older, wiser medical marriages

MD spouse

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum. My husband and I got married a month before he started medical school four years ago. He has 6 more years to go. We're trying to figure out ways to get more out of our life together so that the next six years aren't like the past four.
So I'd like to ask the older and wisers what kinds of specific, concrete things you did to keep your marriage going. What did you do to stay emotionally connected to each other?

Members don't see this ad.

MDspouse -

I guess we would have similar situation. I was in Afghanistan then Iraq for a total of 23 months with 13 months in between. I know this might sound stupid but my answer is simple; talk and hold hands. I tell my wife everything and have told her everything. Even when she did not want to hear it. I try to hold her hand as often as possible. Connection is key. Even if you are not talking. Which he might not want to do sometimes. It does not mean he is not interested in you. It is odd and strange sometimes. It is almost like talking to a stranger. You connect again and again. In connecting make sure that he knows EXACTLY what you expect from him so he does it. Write it down for him if you need to. I am sure he is tired and frustrated, but his mind set is on you and the future that the both of you will have together. I am choosing AA school over medical school because I do not want to isolate my wife and myself again. The only things that make sense in this world are when she tells me that she loves me and when my children give me a hug. I am sure he feels the same way. You can PM me if you need to talk. I know my wife got lonely. I have a cousin in Dental school and in Med school. Both are married and I know their wives have many ideas about connecting and reconnecting.

Marine1 - oorah

Hi! Not sure about older, but here's our situation. We got married when we were 19, and we've been married for 8 years. No kids yet. My husband graduated medical school in May, and he's in his first year of residency.

I know it's pretty cliché, but date nights are essential. We try to go out to dinner one night a week (even if it's just food court at the mall), and we love to go see movies together. Also, we have at least one night a week when we eat dinner at the table with the TV off and usually a bottle of wine.

Also, we share some of the same hobbies. When we were in college, my husband got really into an online video game. I tried it out, and to my surprise, I really liked it. Now we play it together a couple of times a month. We also like to cook and entertain, so we'll plan dinners and game nights with our friends.

As important as sharing time together, though, is your time apart. Unless it's excessive, don't begrudge each other time with friends or solitary hobbies. He won't have much control over his work schedule, so when he's at home, you don't want to fill every minute. I know when I get home from work, I need about 15-20 minutes to relax before I'm ready to go do anything or even talk about my day.

Try to keep a good relationship with each other's families. We live about 3-4 hours away from our parents, but we try to make a visit about once every couple of months and talk to them on the phone weekly. Just knowing that you have the support of extended family helps with isolation you might feel when your husband has to work a lot.

And finally, but very important, make time for sex. Sometimes your lives will be so busy you have to *gasp* schedule it with each other. It might not be as romantic, but you need that kind of connection with each other, and if it's not happening often enough, it's worth planning for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I'm older (no comment on the wiser) and we have just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary. I know that it will be difficult, but if you can find a way to have a date night, it will really help. Now that my husband is out of residency, he takes one day off a week and we have a regularly scheduled "play date". My friends know it as "Gene time". It doesn't matter if we spend the time going to Target or the hardware store or lunch. This is our time together. We treasure it and look forward to it each week. We had three young children during residency, so we weren't able to afford babysitters to have dates back then, but if you can work it out, it does help.

Well, while all of these suggestions are nice (everyone seems to love the "date nite"), I guess I have to be the one to burst the bubble to some degree.

Sometimes, the longer you are "apart" from a person, the more difficult it becomes to be emotionally (and physically) intimate. THis may not only be true of medical marriages, but also of folks who travel or have other things that keep them apart on a regular basis. There is a natural (albeit self-protective) distance that can develop. In addition, it's very hard to not resent a person whose talents/calling may often require them to put strangers (i.e., patients) first.

I love my husband deeply -- it was almost love at first sight. BUT I never imagined how marginalized I could feel actually realizing (not just knowing) that I would never come first. He has never been able to take me to a Doctor app, procedure or accompany me to a funeral or a wedding. It's bad enough that I feel this way, but one missed soccer game, field day and recital too many and my children are suffering too. While I try not to acknowledge my own pain, I think they can see it and perhaps feed from it. I try to compensate with my own love, which perhaps is not enough.

If I had known what this would feel like, I would have run screaming years ago.

I honestly hope that once a week date nights are enough for you. Perhaps you are not married to a surgeon, as am I. And finally, will add you to my nightly prayers for the lonely spouses of physicians.

I think "date night" is a good idea, but certainly not enough as well. I think good communication is also key. The problem is that these things require the participation of two people, and not just one. The real trick is getting the other one to realize that some of these things might necessary to keep the relationship going. Sadly, not everyone realizes this.

So keep talking to each other. I think it's even OK to say something like "we need to keep talking to each other or this is going to be really really hard." Even if you're the non-MD, your partner can still talk to you about work in ways that you can understand. In fact, they might be better physicians for it if they can explain to you in layman's terms what's going at work. The grisly details can be omitted, of course, but medicine is a pretty interesting line of work sometimes! :)

Best of luck to everyone out there! :luck:

-X

I am married to a surgeon and do understand your comment about not coming first. I struggled with this early in our marriage when I realized that I couldn't come first. But the reality is that my husband doesn't choose to put his patients first, he has to. If he has to make a decision whether to save a patients life or attend our child's soccer game, he knows what the right decision is, and so do I. It is difficult at the time, but when you look back, you can understand. I know that in my husband's heart, I do come first.

Once I came to terms with this, things became easier. I have watched his heart break when he had to leave me with a dying pet because he had a surgery scheduled. He wanted to be with me, but the reality is that he couldn't be with me. And I now understand that. My acceptance has helped my children understand.

We laughingly refer to our "flexible holiday rule." If your birthday, anniversary, or holiday falls on a call night, you get to pick the day you want to celebrate. We have turned this into a game rather than choose to feel bad because Daddy couldn't be home on their birthday. We rescheduled my birthday three times this year (a rarity) and boy did we laugh about it. I told my husband that at this rate, I would be young forever.

I wish you well as you make these adjustments. They aren't easy, but having friends who understand can help. Date night isn't a solution, but it sure is fun.

I really believe that marriage depends on the person. If the spouse is upset and wants more "us" time, but there is no time to give then how do you compromise? You are in a partnership so there is give and take with every choice that is made. Your spouse can put you as a priority to a point, but you have to acknowledge that. "to a point". But if your spouse doesn't make an effort to acknowledge your feelings at times as well, its not much of a healthy relationship IMO. As selinagirl did point out, not everything is sunshine even if a few people do on here posts that they can make it work. Not every couple is a match made in heaven as time wears on, its about working together to make things work and supporting the other no matter what. But if it becomes an issue of trying to keep your head above water while you feel like drowning, you can't ignore the fact that you are alone in the middle of an ocean.

While date night is a great idea sometimes its hard to keep that "spark" going. Everything takes a bit of creativity but the hardest part is realizing that you are "alone" and embracing it. You'll have more of those moments when you are having a horrible day, spouse is on call, and you really just need someone there. I just had one of those days when hubby was on a string of q2-3 call.

Keeping yourself busy with hobbies and interests are key to keeping your sanity. It's especially hard when you move to an area where you have no support structure and don't know anyone. Networking possibilities are out there with many organizations. Your college might have an alumni group in the area, the hospital might have a spousal association, you might take the initiative and plan get together with your spouse and some of their coworkers like a bqq or movie night. But it's up to you to get involved and "keep yourself busy" because no one else will.

But remember that ultimately its your life too and you shouldn't try wait for someone else to ever make you happy. If you are that type of person (and I hope you would know) and you're married to a doctor, you're going to be miserable for years to come.

Last edited:
I really believe that marriage depends on the person. If the spouse is upset and wants more "us" time, but there is no time to give then how do you compromise? You are in a partnership so there is give and take with every choice that is made. Your spouse can put you as a priority to a point, but you have to acknowledge that. "to a point". But if your spouse doesn't make an effort to acknowledge your feelings at times as well, its not much of a healthy relationship IMO. As selinagirl did point out, not everything is sunshine even if a few people do on here posts that they can make it work. Not every couple is a match made in heaven as time wears on, its about working together to make things work and supporting the other no matter what. But if it becomes an issue of trying to keep your head above water while you feel like drowning, you can't ignore the fact that you are alone in the middle of an ocean.

While date night is a great idea sometimes its hard to keep that "spark" going. Everything takes a bit of creativity but the hardest part is realizing that you are "alone" and embracing it. You'll have more of those moments when you are having a horrible day, spouse is on call, and you really just need someone there. I just had one of those days when hubby was on a string of q2-3 call.

Keeping yourself busy with hobbies and interests are key to keeping your sanity. It's especially hard when you move to an area where you have no support structure and don't know anyone. Networking possibilities are out there with many organizations. Your college might have an alumni group in the area, the hospital might have a spousal association, you might take the initiative and plan get together with your spouse and some of their coworkers like a bqq or movie night. But it's up to you to get involved and "keep yourself busy" because no one else will.

But remember that ultimately its your life too and you shouldn't try wait for someone else to ever make you happy. If you are that type of person (and I hope you would know) and you're married to a doctor, you're going to be miserable for years to come.

i agree with this and all of the above! remember that you can't really count on someone else to make you complete or whole, or even happy. that happiness/completeness/wholeness has to come from within you. how can two halves come together to make a whole (if they are different objects..like half of a triangle and half of a circle), it really doesn't work :) it might to a degree, but you'll find you have more problems than you started.

but then i am not wise, in the sense of matured age-wise (i'm only 20...) so feel free to disregard my advice :)

i agree with this and all of the above! remember that you can't really count on someone else to make you complete or whole, or even happy. that happiness/completeness/wholeness has to come from within you. how can two halves come together to make a whole (if they are different objects..like half of a triangle and half of a circle), it really doesn't work :) it might to a degree, but you'll find you have more problems than you started.

but then i am not wise, in the sense of matured age-wise (i'm only 20...) so feel free to disregard my advice :)
Well it might not be age but personality that plays into consideration. I know many marriages that have failed during med school (even ones where they married young). But for those marriages that work (and thankfully mine happens to be one of them!!) I think the advice can be invaluable but ultimately it comes down to the personality of the spouses. A clingy wife will not work with an independent husband who's doing neurosurgery. ;) We all get frustrated at times (I'm surprised my husband still talks with me at times!) but its all about compromise and my husband is attentive in realizing my needs and trying to help a bit around the house. While I still do most of it, he pitches in when he can and I'm ok with him just doing the little things when I ask him to do it (take out the trash, feed the animals, etc).

I'm new as well...and curious...what about specialties other than surgery? I hear surgery is pretty time consuming..what about general practice, family...etc.?

I've been married one year and my wife finished grad school recently and she teaches...My area would be radiology or oncology.

Surgery is time consuming but so can family practice or internal medicine depending on the type of practice you chose you have to take call, could be long hours, if there are only a few people in the practice you could have limited vacation options/coverage for sickness/emergencies, etc.

The good things is you have options that you can make together as a couple to decide you are on the same page when it comes to career aspirations and balancing a family if you want one. It's hard to say that one specialty is better than the other. Every one has pros and cons right now with workload, competitiveness, etc. There are some satisfaction surveys for physicians in various specialties out there. If you browse about enough you'll stumble across them in the pre-med/med forums.

I am planning on keeping myself busy, possibly taking 2 jobs...seeing as I will be supporting us... I know that I want to make a conscious effort to visit him at the hospital... my best friends husband is a surgeon.. and she goes to the hospital to meet with him during his meals... ooo hospital food! :D also I want to hopefully meet other wives in the same boat (at his hospital) as a support system. (or maybe from med school.) I dunno, maybe this is naive.. but my boyfriend and I have been discussing how we are going to get through it...Good luck

We got together during his residency while I was working full-time and going to school and were married right before the start of fellowship. Our marriage's survival has depended on ritual because we find that is our best way to stay connected. That means for us things like having dinner together every night, at a table, as a family. It might happen at 9PM, it might be at the restaurant across the street from the hospital, (when I was working at the hospital) it might be cafeteria food, or reheated leftovers, but if we are in the same city, it is every night.
Also, my daughter has a night time routine that is precious. She gets Mom and Dad for 30 mins for focused snuggle and story time every night, even if that means one of us has to SKPYE in from another city for it.

I agree with the PP who said you have to come to terms with his obligation to the patients. They don't want to be there, but sometimes, it just is an IS. I, too, have been at funerals and weddings alone because of the schedule. But when I have been at my wits' end, I communicated with him about my needs (like when he wanted me to keep our then newborn up until 10PM every night :uhno::yawn:so he could finish charting at the office) and compromise can sometimes be reached (he now has home computer access and finishes his charting after she is in bed so we can have our time together).

Of course, I am now applying to medical school myself, so I am sure there is going to have to be a LOT of understanding on both our sides from here on out!

HTH. GL!

Yes, there really is a tug-of-war between a doctor's family and patients. When my daughter fell down and needed stitches, she and I sat for 3 hours in the ER waiting room. Is it pathetic that I was grateful to see my resident-husband show up and sit with us, even if it was 5 minutes?

If you are marrying a med student and plan on a family, get ready to pull a lot more than half of the weight of family life, even if you are also the major bread-winner. My husband is so happy doing what he's doing that it's worth it to us as a partnership, but it can be wearing and frustrating and (yes) pathetic.

I am married to a surgeon and do understand your comment about not coming first. I struggled with this early in our marriage when I realized that I couldn't come first. But the reality is that my husband doesn't choose to put his patients first, he has to. If he has to make a decision whether to save a patients life or attend our child's soccer game, he knows what the right decision is, and so do I. It is difficult at the time, but when you look back, you can understand. I know that in my husband's heart, I do come first.

Once I came to terms with this, things became easier. I have watched his heart break when he had to leave me with a dying pet because he had a surgery scheduled. He wanted to be with me, but the reality is that he couldn't be with me. And I now understand that. My acceptance has helped my children understand.

My husband calls it taking care of business. We would all like to make our loved ones the absolute center of our universe, but most of us don't have that luxury...we have to earn money, fulfill requirements and jobs, and satisfy our own needs that do not mesh perfectly with our loved ones. Hopefully, we can take turns 'taking hits' in our careers, and sort out our priorities so that we can blend and share our lives.

I think it is harder if you don't feel like the priorities are ever shifted to your greatest needs or to farther your greatest desires...and maybe then you have to push for that, make it an absolute priority. Otherwise, you might feel you are more in a support or caregiver role and sacrificing yourself for the benefit of your partner.

I can say, that for me, I am frequently aware that my husband is getting the short end of the stick, and I acknowledge it and do my best to be certain that the time he does get is quality. And in my case, I am not saving (at least not directly) human lives, so the clear 'right' thing is a bit more murky. However, I sacrificed my aspirations for 3-4 years for his career and his needs...and in some ways that makes me feel ok and comfortable with trading that off.

We don't do date night...instead we each pick several things that are important to us each month, and those things are given highest priority. It doesn't matter if I don't want to go see the Blue Angels; if that is the top priority thing my husband wants to share with me, I will go with bells on and spirits high. If I want my husband to attend a trip to an island to do herd assesments, he asks what he needs to bring and asks if he can arrange a nice dinner on the way home. Sometimes our highest priority items are completly hobby or interest related...sometimes they are career related (I HATE corporate formal dinners, and yet, if it is a high expectation that I attend hubby's work party, I will.) For us, this concept works really well; it clarifies our expectations each month, prevents suprises and miscommunications (I THOUGHT you knew how important this was for me) and is what we work to build the rest of our life around. We also take time to talk about the most important things that can't be dropped (huge exams, service trips, award ceremonies) that the other person isn't a part of, but for whom our schedule and priorities will affect.

Another thing is to be incredibly clear. "I need one hour of your time this week. please let me know by tomorrow morning when we can sit down together and do this. " "I understand that you want to discuss this right now, but I can't focus on this and my other responsibilities. Can we discuss it over lunch on Wednesday?" I confess, it feels automated at times....and it means that we don't get a lot of instant gratifications on resolving issues, but we are becoming more patient...and it works well for us. Obviously, occasionally we do drop everything for each other, but we always understand that recovering the juggling act is difficult.

I don't have any real words of wisdom especially for anyone feeling marginalized. We can only really be at the center of our own lives as we share our life with others. Make yourself your own priority, communicate clearly, and ask for what you need in specific and concrete terms (rather than 'I need more attention' or 'I need to feel cherished') and see if your partner can work with you to achieve what you need. If not, the questions become tougher.

Oh, and from the other end...I did tell my husband at one point that it is a good thing we are married. If we weren't, and this was a relationship without a heavily defined commitment that is difficult to break, we probably would have split up during some of the more stressful moments because it would have been an easier, more convenient decision...but ease and convenience aren't always indicators of quality! The quality is well worth it, even if the quantity is less than either of us would have hoped!

Thank you all for posting these tips on how to make a relationship work. I am a medical student (3rd year) and so is my boyfriend. It has been very difficult to juggle everything and maintain a healthy relationship. I think I need to learn to be more independent and not need so much attention especially since he is thinking about going into surgery :scared: What the one lady said was right how it may feel so automatic when you ask for some time to discuss something and his answers are automatic "when would you like to talk about...can we talk about it after i finish this quiz section?" and I think I need to realize I'll never be first anymore (I was first in his life for a glorious year or so...it was spectacular...I felt like a princess and extremely loved). Does this mean I am settling? Settling to not be first? I suppose it is selfish to always want to be first in someone's life. He does try to make me feel special often but it's just different than our honeymoon phase. :love:Man I loved the honeymoon phase. Sadly, my boyfriend and I both don't think it's feasible to keep up the constant honeymoon phase.

Please keep up all the tips and personal trials and tribulations of being married/dating a high achieving surgeon/doctor. I have yet to meet other girls in my school in the same situation for me to talk about my struggles so it can feel very lonely. I end up wondering if there's something wrong with me or him but then I see this blog and realize that it is very normal for me to feel this way.

:love:Man I loved the honeymoon phase. Sadly, my boyfriend and I both don't think it's feasible to keep up the constant honeymoon phase.

The nice thing is that while it can't be constant, there are opportunities to reinvent the honeymoon periods. Breaks, vacations (even stay cations) are all opportunities to be sickenly romantic and loving. More so than I imagine we would be if we were able to have time for one another daily.

Also, if my husband has time to play video games and relax, I feel far less jealous of that luxury if he is several hours away (so it isn't right in my face between balancing chores and studying!)

Hello all! I was relieved to find this thread, and can identify so closely with all of you! My husband and I have been married for almost 2 years, and he will be starting his surgery residency next fall. I am also in school (nurse anesthesia), and am scheduled to finish next winter.

Our struggle has been to be newlyweds, both be in demanding academic programs, and to have no idea where we will really be going for residency. That is, we have preferences and vague thoughts on what the match list will be, but who really knows for sure at this point?

I find it difficult to be put second to school/away rotations the majority of the time, and my husband is such a hard worker and so highly motivated that he doesn't see how hard this is for me. We have grown much better at communicating, but I still have days where I stonewall him and stay frustrated without saying anything. I sometimes feel like I get the short end of the stick, having to move away from my family, friends, and hometown to look for a job in a strange city where we don't know anyone. I do understand that it's for the best, and that residency is so important for his career, and I am definitely willing to do it. I just have days where it doesn't sound like much fun :oops:

I wonder how it will be to have kids during a residency? He says that year 3/4/5 could be a good time to start a family, but I just don't know.

Did anyone out there start a family during residency? Or anyone else feel lost before the match process? I know it can't just be me :D

Hi SleepyCat --
Yes, it is daunting. Sometimes I also feel as if I've gotten the short end of the stick, having been (as you note) moved away from friends and family and left alone to handle things that (by strict rights) should be half his responsibility. Since your husband is a surgical resident, you will definitely be in this position.

I find that when I feel overwhelmed or angry, it's useful to think big picture. With a resident husband and a job and kids, there is just more work than is doable by two people. There just is. So if you feel stressed or miss some deadline or forget to pay the taxes on time -- those are just the expected casualties of the situation. It's not as if my husband is lying on the couch watching football and could do more -- he is working to the max as well. I find that reminding myself of that helps some of the frustration.

Spend some devoted time with each other every day and go on dates every week. Each person must be willing to sacrifice and make some compromises, but this should also be balanced.