Older student with kids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drjthor2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get some input from people who may have started an ortho residency later in life (I will finish school at 37) with/without kids - or imagine yourself in the situation. From reading other threads, I have a reasonable handle on the work hours during the residency but would like further clarification. I am leaning towards ortho just but I have found it very difficult to do "what you love" when I won't have much experience to base that on before I need to make that decision. On the other hand, I don't want to make a career decision based on solely on lifestyle/schedule - ex, radiology. Any thoughts for a very confused soon to be 4th year is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am an older student myself. I won't be finished with residency until 37 or 38. Initially, I was looking at one of the surgical fields because I really like anatomy, working with my hands, and be able to fix something immediately. The problem with surgery is, how long can you really do it? I think most surgeons retire around 55-60. That gives me around 20 years, which isn't long enough for a career in my opinion. So, now I'm looking at a non-surgical field like radiology where I can practice until I'm 70 if I want. I plan to subspecialize into interventional rads or neurorads which are semi-surgical. Hope that helps.

I plan on going into Ortho, and will be finished at the age of 42! That's plenty of time to have a great career, and start doing different things towards the end of your career, that won't be quite as physically demanding. I couldn't imagine doing anything else...

Members don't see this ad :)
I figure you are only as old as you feel. We all know plenty of 25 year-olds who are physiologically older than some 50 year-olds. Point is, stay in shape, live well, and do what you enjoy. Now staying in shape during an ortho residency may be harder than it sounds, but if you are disciplined, you can do it.

Plenty of ortho surgeons working well past upper 50's, too. I'd prefer to be ortho doing elective cases at 55 - 65 than doing interventional radiology. Sucking up radiation for 3 decades cant be good for anything; even microwave popcorn would be crispy after that dose, plus the hours of IR seems to parallel those of the general surgeon.

The surgeons I know don't do well with retirment
I am 43 and re-entering a surgical residency
Dr John Howard operated past 80 (Whipple master); Dr Tom Baker, retired (?) at 80 (face lift master); Other top Plastic Surgeons are in their late 70's and still VERy active

Taurus said:
I am an older student myself. I won't be finished with residency until 37 or 38. Initially, I was looking at one of the surgical fields because I really like anatomy, working with my hands, and be able to fix something immediately. The problem with surgery is, how long can you really do it? I think most surgeons retire around 55-60. That gives me around 20 years, which isn't long enough for a career in my opinion. So, now I'm looking at a non-surgical field like radiology where I can practice until I'm 70 if I want. I plan to subspecialize into interventional rads or neurorads which are semi-surgical. Hope that helps.

Is there an age limit when you have to retire as a surgeon now?