Old Pre-Reqs, MCAT Study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AB92

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did the rest of you non-trads study content for the MCAT if you were somewhat removed from taking the pre-req classes? I have taken Chem 1/2 recently and will be taking OChem 1/2 and Biochem in the near future. But all my biology and physics classes were taken ~10 years ago. So I think the chemistry will be fresh, but how do I go about relearning content from biology and physics? Do the Kaplan books contain enough information to solely use those (and supplement with Khan if needed).

Historically, I am a good test taker- but I'm worried about the content for biology and physics. I plan on taking the MCAT in early May. So I was thinking I should start reviewing bio and physics for content Oct-Dec, so that Jan-Apr I can be doing all the practice tests, questions, etc. I also plan to take an in-person Kaplan course, somewhere in the Jan-Apr time frame. I need the accountability and structure.

Members don't see this ad.

My undergraduate studies were over ten years ago but I was strong in biology due to my masters program. For the other subjects, I used Exam Krackers, Khan Academy, and other online sources. Just remember to take a lot of practice tests and take the AAMC ones at the end.

I did the old MCAT but my pre-reqs were in the range of 10 years old, no newer classes. I used Exam Krackers only and did quite well. I think it depends on how well you knew it in the first place as well as if you're good at self-studying. If you're a good test taker and use all of your practice question and test resources, I don't think it's an issue. I used the EK study plan (spread out over twice as many weeks since I had a full-time job) and was really strict with getting up early to study, studying on weekends, and in the evenings depending on am studying. I also used their Osmosis series while commuting (not driving, needed concentration). I think my score converts to a 518 so I was really happy with my strategy. I felt like anything else would have been extra work without benefit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t some schools require the pre-reqs to be within the last 7 years?

Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t some schools require the pre-reqs to be within the last 7 years?
I believe so. The schools I applied to don't have those requirements. Research is key!

There are some schools that require that, but a lot of them do not!

I did the old MCAT but my pre-reqs were in the range of 10 years old, no newer classes. I used Exam Krackers only and did quite well. I think it depends on how well you knew it in the first place as well as if you're good at self-studying. If you're a good test taker and use all of your practice question and test resources, I don't think it's an issue. I used the EK study plan (spread out over twice as many weeks since I had a full-time job) and was really strict with getting up early to study, studying on weekends, and in the evenings depending on am studying. I also used their Osmosis series while commuting (not driving, needed concentration). I think my score converts to a 518 so I was really happy with my strategy. I felt like anything else would have been extra work without benefit.
Did you have a certain number of hrs/day you studied? I’m in the same boat, working full time, so I’m wondering if 3 hrs/day Mon-Fri, and 8 hrs every saturday might be a good idea, so 4-5 months.

Can I ask, where all did you apply?
Schools that have a good history of being holistic or don't hard screen (for gpa or MCAT). If you search these forums, there is a good list floating around.

Did you have a certain number of hrs/day you studied? I’m in the same boat, working full time, so I’m wondering if 3 hrs/day Mon-Fri, and 8 hrs every saturday might be a good idea, so 4-5 months.
It was along that ballpark. 2-3hrs/day weekdays (probably usually 3), 4-6 Saturdays. Depending on how the week went, I studied Sundays too. I studied from Sept-January. I took my first practice exam after only reviewing 25% of the content and got around 60th percentile so you might surprise yourself by knowing more than you think. A lot of info provided in the passages. Practice exams shape your studying.

Reactions: 1 user