"old man"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

APACHE3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the chances of getting into Navy or Air Force Reserve as a 44 y/o fresh grad ER doc? And what are the benefits ie monthly pay, required duty rotations? Couldn't quite get a straight answer from their websites..thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

APACHE3 said:
What are the chances of getting into Navy or Air Force Reserve as a 44 y/o fresh grad ER doc? And what are the benefits ie monthly pay, required duty rotations? Couldn't quite get a straight answer from their websites..thank you.

I know the Navy would jump at a chance to get you.....Assuming you get O-3 with zero.....not a lot.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll do some more research and ask around.

Members don't see this ad :)
APACHE3 said:
Thanks for the quick response. I'll do some more research and ask around.

Since no one has come back with much info for you, the best place to start your search would probably be your local reserve officer recruiting office. If you live near a large city there's probably one there, if not give a call to the local recruiting office and ask them for the number. They'll probably bombard you with information and calls, but you should be able to get some hard answers from them. As said in the other post you'd come in as an 0-3 with zero years of service (CAPT in the Army/Air Force or LT in the Navy). Reserve commitments are usually one weekend a month and two weeks a year, but this may be different for the medical specialties.

Pay you could find on at http://www.dfas.mil Somewhere on that site will be a pay chart, look for 0-3 <2yrs of service. Make sure to look at the reserve part and not active duty. That will give you your base pay, I'm not sure about any bonuses as a reserve medical officer.

That was a helpful site. I know once I contact one of the services, they will be all over me, so I'm just testing the waters now. I appreciate all the advice. Thanks

APACHE3 said:
That was a helpful site. I know once I contact one of the services, they will be all over me, so I'm just testing the waters now. I appreciate all the advice. Thanks
With ER, you'd be highly deployable. In fact, at many of the hospitals in the US, the ER's are staffed by civie doctors while the mil docs are out in the middle east. Are you interested in going to an exotic location?