Old Exams, Notes, Etc - 2 Share or Not 2 Share

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PedzOhNine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a devoted "spread the love" share-er of study materials. You gain nothing by trying to compete with your class. Everyone has to graduate medical school so why not help each other along? In the past month I have witnessed and/or received emails/file attachments that did not go out to the entire class. Imagine my disappointment to know that there are still students out there that TAKE and never GIVE. Why are you going into this profession that requires you to GIVE so much when you are clearly a TAKER? I just don't get it - I think it is really rude. Metaphor: I invite you and welcome you into my home for a party. You eat my food, drink my wine, and lay your shoes in my home. It is etiquette that you return the favor if you should have a party in the future. If I find out about your soiree and I was not invited then you do not deserve the gifts that people hand out freely. I am no honored to sit in class and be a part of the ranks of your kind. For everyone else out there that is a share-er we are the ones that WILL make a difference for each other and the profession.

:confused: :mad: :(

Members don't see this ad.

awwww.... its good to share, I agree.

PCOM goes above and beyond sharing the wealth. old exams, scribe notes, lecture recordings..........all online for everyone to use.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a sharer, too and I share some of your feelings. I blame the grade heaviness of med school for part of this situation. I don't know about other schools, but at our school during orientation, the dean told us "OK, now you're in med school, the competition is over, you need to help each other out." That's all well and good for lip service, but it doesn't change the fact that every grade we get directly lists how we did compared to our peers, and class rank is constantly held up as the omnipresent yardstick for measuring our success or failure. The ideas of helping each other out while directly competing for class rank appear to be fundamentally at odds to me.

I think people would help each other out a lot more if it was pass/fail. After all, everyone will take the board, so why is there a need for class rank?

I am a devoted "spread the love" share-er of study materials. You gain nothing by trying to compete with your class. Everyone has to graduate medical school so why not help each other along? In the past month I have witnessed and/or received emails/file attachments that did not go out to the entire class. Imagine my disappointment to know that there are still students out there that TAKE and never GIVE. Why are you going into this profession that requires you to GIVE so much when you are clearly a TAKER? I just don't get it - I think it is really rude. Metaphor: I invite you and welcome you into my home for a party. You eat my food, drink my wine, and lay your shoes in my home. It is etiquette that you return the favor if you should have a party in the future. If I find out about your soiree and I was not invited then you do not deserve the gifts that people hand out freely. I am no honored to sit in class and be a part of the ranks of your kind. For everyone else out there that is a share-er we are the ones that WILL make a difference for each other and the profession.

:confused: :mad: :(

that sounds a bit like reciprocal altruism!!! I understand where your getting at though my nanna decided to give me a life lesson about back stabbing jerks that are only out to benefit themselves in med school, funny to hear inklings that this might be true hehe:wow:

I couldn't agree with you more I just let it go; you can't get frustrated with people like that because they are all around just don't be like that and kick there ass on all the tests!:smuggrin:

I am a sharer, too and I share some of your feelings. I blame the grade heaviness of med school for part of this situation. I don't know about other schools, but at our school during orientation, the dean told us "OK, now you're in med school, the competition is over, you need to help each other out." That's all well and good for lip service, but it doesn't change the fact that every grade we get directly lists how we did compared to our peers, and class rank is constantly held up as the omnipresent yardstick for measuring our success or failure. The ideas of helping each other out while directly competing for class rank appear to be fundamentally at odds to me.

I think people would help each other out a lot more if it was pass/fail. After all, everyone will take the board, so why is there a need for class rank?

we do not have class rank - hence the disappointment

i applied to LECOM-B. got in. hated FL. now i want PBL in my life...oh the decisions we make...

we do not have class rank - hence the disappointment

i applied to LECOM-B. got in. hated FL. now i want PBL in my life...oh the decisions we make...

Hey, I think that sucks! No class rank, and still asses! BTW, what do you hate about Florida? I'm most likely going to NSU, and have FL concerns, as I'm from Ohio, and worried how drastic of a change it might be.

Hey, I think that sucks! No class rank, and still asses! BTW, what do you hate about Florida? I'm most likely going to NSU, and have FL concerns, as I'm from Ohio, and worried how drastic of a change it might be.

Are you a republican? If so, you will fit right in. Seriously, though, I moved here from Wa state and even though I've lived in TN for a good part of my life, the conservatism in FL seems much more extreme than TN. It's like a splash of cold water after Wa.

All the old people jokes are true BTW. I also miss the trees, mountains and, oddly enough, the rain. But the beach is pretty incredible.

Thanks bodymechanic, I was also curious about the complaints of living in Florida. I will most likely end up at NSU as well, and am also concerned about the drastic change from New Jersey.

By the way toothlessrufus- I hope that you hear great news from UNECOM! :)

Thanks bodymechanic, I was also curious about the complaints of living in Florida. I will most likely end up at NSU as well, and am also concerned about the drastic change from New Jersey.

Hi Kelli! Thanks, and I hope you do too from UMDNJ, although I think I would rather not have to make a choice! I really liked NSU too! Good luck at your interview!

Are you a republican? If so, you will fit right in. Seriously, though, I moved here from Wa state and even though I've lived in TN for a good part of my life, the conservatism in FL seems much more extreme than TN. It's like a splash of cold water after Wa.

All the old people jokes are true BTW. I also miss the trees, mountains and, oddly enough, the rain. But the beach is pretty incredible.

I dislike politics. What are the old people jokes? That they all move there?

I dislike politics. What are the old people jokes? That they all move there?

10ea21402cb510e3ba32f3dd605b3dbe5e599d81

'nuff said?

Honestly, I don't know what's worse - a beach encounter like this or getting behind some rich old bitty out for a cruise in her land yacht.

First, let me start on topic, then divert...

We're all going to be doctors in the future, so why not cooperate and share notes with future colleagues instead of hiding in the corner under a stack of books and notes. You may do well using this method, but you'll lose the opportunity to make friends, people who you will be seeing for at least two years. Medical school isn't just paper tests. There is OMM, PD, and a number of other classes where communication and student cohesion is important.

I would like to be able to rely on a future colleague in the future that I know is competent than someone who is less so.

Okay, diverting now...

Kelli, it would be really hard to say no to NSU since I know so many people who are going to NSU. Get ready to kick butt at UMDNJ. Remember, no matter where you go, you owe me chocolate. :p

Nooooooo!:eek: LOL!!:D

So that's where you got that picture! The green rubber band freaked me out at first. UNECOM has been really quiet...what's up with that? Oh, by the way, you should put a non-Hasselhovian pic in the pic forum, so we can see how closely you resemble him. :cool:

First, let me start on topic, then divert...

We're all going to be doctors in the future, so why not cooperate and share notes with future colleagues instead of hiding in the corner under a stack of books and notes. You may do well using this method, but you'll lose the opportunity to make friends, people who you will be seeing for at least two years. Medical school isn't just paper tests. There is OMM, PD, and a number of other classes where communication and student cohesion is important.

I would like to be able to rely on a future colleague in the future that I know is competent than someone who is less so.

Okay, diverting now...

Kelli, it would be really hard to say no to NSU since I know so many people who are going to NSU. Get ready to kick butt at UMDNJ. Remember, no matter where you go, you owe me chocolate. :p

So that's where you got that picture! The green rubber band freaked me out at first. UNECOM has been really quiet...what's up with that? Oh, by the way, you should put a non-Hasselhovian pic in the pic forum, so we can see how closely you resemble him. :cool:

1) Sorry I freaked you out! Blue would have been better, right?
2) UNE thread quiet? Hmmm......
-actually, I should probably:
a: Have a decision first, lol!
b: Waiting to see where y'all end up!
3) Shall post pic after bandages come off from recent celebrity look-a-like plastic surgery
4) Actually I have no camera, or friends who have cameras...or friends...hmmm... (reaches for box of tissues and pillow to muffle the loud report) j/k

1) Sorry I freaked you out! Blue would have been better, right?
2) UNE thread quiet? Hmmm......
-actually, I should probably:
a: Have a decision first, lol!
b: Waiting to see where y'all end up!
3) Shall post pic after bandages come off from recent celebrity look-a-like plastic surgery
4) Actually I have no camera, or friends who have cameras...or friends...hmmm... (reaches for box of tissues and pillow to muffle the loud report)
I meant that UNE, the school itself, has been quiet. You're quite the character! :)