Old, established DO versus new MD program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2019Hoos

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am having a hard time deciding between several old, established DO programs and some newer MD programs. I am aware of how competitive it is, and how everything is subject to change once you actually begin to study medicine, but my current thoughts are to pursue Ortho. I am not deadset on it, but am fairly confident I don't want to go into primary care.

I have been accepted into WesternU and Midwestern CCOM (2 relatively reputable DO programs to my knowledge) and am currently awaiting decisions after interviewing with two new MD programs (CUSM and Hackensack Meridian).

I know most people say MD over DO no matter what, but both of these MD programs have only 1 year of match data to look at whereas Western and CCOM have decades of success.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I also interviewed at CUSM and it seemed like a fine school from what they showed us. But the only thing that kind of concerns me about CUSM is that their accreditation status is still preliminary since initially receiving it in 2018. Other schools that received initial accreditation around that time have already moved on to provisional or even full accreditation. Can anyone in the know speak to what this means exactly?

I also interviewed at CUSM and it seemed like a fine school from what they showed us. But the only thing that kind of concerns me about CUSM is that their accreditation status is still preliminary since initially receiving it in 2018. Other schools that received initial accreditation around that time have already moved on to provisional or even full accreditation. Can anyone in the know speak to what this means exactly?
They will be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone,

I am having a hard time deciding between several old, established DO programs and some newer MD programs. I am aware of how competitive it is, and how everything is subject to change once you actually begin to study medicine, but my current thoughts are to pursue Ortho. I am not deadset on it, but am fairly confident I don't want to go into primary care.

I have been accepted into WesternU and Midwestern CCOM (2 relatively reputable DO programs to my knowledge) and am currently awaiting decisions after interviewing with two new MD programs (CUSM and Hackensack Meridian).

I know most people say MD over DO no matter what, but both of these MD programs have only 1 year of match data to look at whereas Western and CCOM have decades of success.
Those aren't new schools anymore.

Even a new MD school will open more doors for you.

If your goal is trying to match into uber-competitive specialties or even top tier programs for something like internal medicine, then going allopathic will have less resistance

Those aren't new schools anymore.
Even a new MD school will open more doors for you.
i thought you would say established DO. I have 2 DOs in the family and both got fellowships in last 2 years( after internal medicine)

Last edited:
DO schools have a mission to produce primary care docs. FM, Peds,IM, and OB/Gyn would be considered primary care. Over 70%% pf DOs enter these specialties, so if you are not interested in primary care, apply to the MD schools you listed.

Hello everyone,

If you search the ACGME website you will see that Hackensack Meridian sponsors 28 GME programs, including an orthopedic surgery residency. This should make a choice very easy: Hackensack (and never look back).

Reactions: 2 users