Old coursework and chances of getting in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meadow36

UF CVM 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have applied to three schools - Western, Michigan and UF. I finished my B.S. in Biology about 8 years ago. Some of my sciences courses are "older" than the 8 year deadline that some of the schools have. I knew Western had this policy, and they gave me permission to retake two of the courses over the summer, so I'm set with them as long as I retake these two courses.

I recently got an email from Michigan saying that I needed a Dean's review to continue with the application process because my coursework is too old. The email seemed to be referring to ALL my science coursework. Has anyone ever gotten this and did NOT have to take all their science courses over again? I'm willing to take one or two over but I can't see redoing two years of upper level sciences. Since I graduated I have worked in a DNA sequencing lab, veterinary diagnostic lab, and as a vet tech, all in the science field, so it's not like I went off to teach English or anything. I'm really bummed, I like Michigan and I feel like this is an automatic rejection.

I have not seen anything on UF's website regarding an age cutoff for coursework, but if someone knows of a policy like that for UF please let me know.

I'm getting really depressed, please tell me your success stories about having older coursework and still getting in anyway!!!

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't experienced anything like this, but, unfortunately, the best route is to probably call up Michigan and figure out what exactly this means. You obviously have an excellent working knowledge of several areas of biology, as exemplified by the jobs you have had. Hopefully Michigan will be understanding of this fact. Good Luck!

For some schools if you write a letter of petition to the school explaining that though your courses are older you have continued your science education by working in the field they will waive these courses. Definitely give them a call.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience with Michigan, if they ask you to do something, make sure you do it! They don't play games, and you shouldn't feel like they are yanking your chain. If they take the time to ask you to do something for them, there is a good chance they are considering you :) I see where you are coming from when you don't want to take 2 years of upper level science courses again, but if it is just a dean's review, then that might just do it for you! Call and contact Hilda, she is very helpful. Good luck!

Back this summer when I was considering which schools to apply to, I emailed Michigan and asked about the coursework waiver (I graduated 10 years ago). They told me, after asking about my coursework and what I had been doing for the last few years (teaching Biology, working at a science museum etc.) that they could waive the requirement, so go ahead and talk to them, I bet they would do the same for you. I am only an average applicant too so I don't think they were doing it special just for me.

I'm not sure about the three schools to which you applied, but I checked with the dean before applying to KSU. He said that here, they typically waive the "expiration date" for people who have been working in the sciences and/or the veterinary field. I completed all of my coursework in 2001 and was accepted without them batting an eyelash--no dean's review or anything.

If you end up being left out in the cold this application cycle (which would really suck!), KSU definitely allows a waiver, especially for an applicant like you. :) Good luck!

Hey there! Don't be depressed! :):):) I too am a non traditional, and Michigan is one of my choices as well! They've been excellent at communicating with me regarding my course work issues. I petitioned to the Dean and was granted a waiver for, I believe a math course. I hadn't taken trig, or at least something related to that, but I had taken up to differential calculus, so they agreed it would be silly to go backwards. So, no worries! You'll do just fine. Just make sure you get that letter into the dean ASAP and I'm 99% sure that there are situations when the standards for admission don't apply to everyone. I mean this after looking at your degree and long term exposure to diagnostics and the field! I'm crossing my fingers for you! Good Luck.
Hello all,

I have applied to three schools - Western, Michigan and UF. I finished my B.S. in Biology about 8 years ago. Some of my sciences courses are "older" than the 8 year deadline that some of the schools have. I knew Western had this policy, and they gave me permission to retake two of the courses over the summer, so I'm set with them as long as I retake these two courses.

I recently got an email from Michigan saying that I needed a Dean's review to continue with the application process because my coursework is too old. The email seemed to be referring to ALL my science coursework. Has anyone ever gotten this and did NOT have to take all their science courses over again? I'm willing to take one or two over but I can't see redoing two years of upper level sciences. Since I graduated I have worked in a DNA sequencing lab, veterinary diagnostic lab, and as a vet tech, all in the science field, so it's not like I went off to teach English or anything. I'm really bummed, I like Michigan and I feel like this is an automatic rejection.

I have not seen anything on UF's website regarding an age cutoff for coursework, but if someone knows of a policy like that for UF please let me know.

I'm getting really depressed, please tell me your success stories about having older coursework and still getting in anyway!!!

Thanks!!

Thanks for the great upbeat posts (just what I needed :cool:). Anyway, I was sent an e-mail requesting that I send another e-mail to the Dean of Admissions, which I did right away. I guess I'll call on Monday just to make sure that's all they wanted.

Good luck to everyone that applied!! Maybe we will all get into Michigan and meet up some time!! :p