OKSU vs KSU: Where's the dirt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarcyMarie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I've been reading and digging, hoping and praying, to find the information that I need on here. Everyone seems so helpful and it seems like a great group to help me with my problem. What is your problem? you might ask yourself well here it is:

I've been accepted into both OKSU and KSU. . . I love them both. (the last clause is my problem)

So, what I need is to know the cons of these schools. The bad things. The dirt. The nitty gritty that no one likes to talk about because quite frankly NO ONE is talking about them.

Indulge your gossiping side and help me out please, I have a tough decision to make.

Thank you for your time

Members don't see this ad.

Alright, so I've been reading and digging, hoping and praying, to find the information that I need on here. Everyone seems so helpful and it seems like a great group to help me with my problem. What is your problem? you might ask yourself well here it is:

I've been accepted into both OKSU and KSU. . . I love them both. (the last clause is my problem)

So, what I need is to know the cons of these schools. The bad things. The dirt. The nitty gritty that no one likes to talk about because quite frankly NO ONE is talking about them.

Indulge your gossiping side and help me out please, I have a tough decision to make.

Thank you for your time

OK is cheaper - all you need to know!
I also looked into KSU and loved it, so hopefully this helps, although for me, a lot of it came down to the money. I really liked KSU, but just didn't feel that the things I liked were worth another 10K+ a year.

Our facilities are a little out of date, but they are working on improving that. Flat screens in the current second year classroom, new outlets going in, a new building in the works, new flooring in the LA hospital, new paint, practically brand new small animal ICU. Plus we've got MRI/CT. One is new, one is upgraded, I just can't remember which is which right now!
Just to add to the schooling stuff- 99% of our lectures are video recorded, which is a wonderful thing for going back and playing catch up, re-listening to profs who talk fast, etc.

Look into case loads for what you want to do - I feel like our hospital has been pretty slow for a while, although it's picking back up now. That's more a factor of the economy though, and KSU might be facing similar problems.
Are you an Equine person? Our Equine dept. will likely be undergoing some changes, as we've lost a few clinicians, one is retiring, one on maternity leave, etc. Not sure what the plan is, but I'm a little worried that it might impact elective offerings and such. Not sure I'd classify that as a negative, but it is something to be aware of as things might be changing. Then again, I'm nearly positive they'll have it all sorted out by the time you get around to equine electives!

From what I saw of KSU, I liked their town marginally more than Stillwater. More of a selection for stores/food/etc. (They had a Target!!). Stillwater is growing though- we are getting an Olive Garden, Joann Fabrics, and a few other stores in the next few months. OKC is a pretty easy drive when I want good food and amazing shopping- 45 min to an hour depending on where you are heading, so I get down there every few weeks. Grocery stores in Stillwater are horrible, another reason to head down to OKC. We've got a nice little farmers market though, so I spend a good deal of time at that, plus the few (overpriced) natural/organic/speciality stores in town. Cost of living here is very reasonable, easy to find decent housing, even with pets. I have a little house that I love, just a few blocks from the vet school.

If you are not a religious person, be aware you will be in the Bible belt. Lots of talk about Jesus, and I'm constantly shocked at the number of churches that go door to door. I'm at the point where I run and hide when I see people in suits/dresses heading towards my door. Most of our professors are good at staying professional but there are a few who seem to inadvertantly push their beliefs at you. There's always some stupid law trying to be passed and it basically all centers around religious beliefs, IMO, and most of it seems to be trying to limit womens rights. Pisses me off, but hasn't actually affected me yet.

Oh! big con! Our school color is bright orange and I think it's hideous :)

To be perfectly honest, that's about all I can come up with for dirt. I do like the school, although for an east coast girl, the town leaves a little to be desired :) There are a couple other Okies who frequent the boards, both in-staters, so they might have a little to add as well.

If you haven't already, you should definitely come visit the school and see the town for yourself. I'd be happy to show you around once you are out here. If you have any specific questions about OK, feel free to ask!

Cowgirla You're the best :) It's nice to hear from another out of state-er. I wish I would have posted on here sooner so I could take you up on your offer. I actually went down and visited last weekend and loved it. The admissions staff was wonderful and it seemed like everyone already knew who I was. I also toured Kansas on Friday. Their facilities are definitely more impressive. . . . Do you think that Oklahoma's hold you back in any way? I'm a food animal kind of person btw.

Cowgirla You're the best :) It's nice to hear from another out of state-er. I wish I would have posted on here sooner so I could take you up on your offer. I actually went down and visited last weekend and loved it. The admissions staff was wonderful and it seemed like everyone already knew who I was. I also toured Kansas on Friday. Their facilities are definitely more impressive. . . . Do you think that Oklahoma's hold you back in any way? I'm a food animal kind of person btw.

I work weekends in the LA hospital. It's an overnight, ICU shift, generally 2 shifts a month. We hire spring semester. I LOVE it. the quiet nights are a bit of a drag, but definitely get to see a lot of awesomeness, learn new things, discuss cases, etc.

We've got some great food animal clinicians. I'm currently taking electives in Beef Production Medicine, Small Rum Medicine/production/surgery, and Food animal advanced techniques (We get to place catheters, perform nerve blocks, local anesthetics, injections, epidurals, etc, etc- it's a pretty awesome class, and limited to people interested in food animal med, so we get to work in small groups.) In addition, the small ruminant and beef clubs do a lot of different wet labs where you get to do even more awesome things.
The first month of your first year, you get to castrate a goat. There are food animal rounds in the hospital all the time that are open to students, and the clinicians are really wonderful about students randomly following them around. I've gotten to watch a bunch of standing surgeries, just because I wandering around and "looked bored." I've even gotten to stick my hands in places where it doesn't belong :)

So, no, I don't feel that I've been held back in anyway. Our facilities might be older but I think our reputation with the food animal people is pretty good so they come to us anyway :) Plus, theres always summers and preceptors in fourth year for seeing how other places do things and getting a peek at different hospitals. Like I said in the last post, there were some plusses to other schools, but I feel that the quality of our education is very good considering our OOS tuition is so much cheaper comparatively