Oklahoma Anyone? part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if we have access to the pool/gym at Presbyterian center? I can't think of the name of the building right now...

Members don't see this ad.

oudoc08 said:
I didn't know Medloans had a zero fees option. Last year, I believe they were 3% orig. w/ a 1% guarantee fee. (Higher than most other lenders w/ a 2% orig. and 1% guar.)

Here's what I'm using for comparison:

http://www.aamc.org/students/medloans/loanstates/loans/bothstaffordoptions_bankone.htm

Now if I could just find their damn lender code.

In the award letter from OU there was a list of preferred lenders, and it listed Medloans, but it only had one lender code. I'm assuming the different medloans options will have different lender codes?

Edit: Upon further exploration it seems that the two Medloans options are actually serviced by two different banks, at least as far as I can tell.

Bank One for the classic option - lender code 808626 (This seems to be the one off the preferred lender list from OU).

Dollar Bank for the zero fees option - lender code 522583.

The 3.3% loan credit after 33 payments looks pretty nice to me, but I'm even strongly considering the classic option.

They take 3% up front for the origination fee, but I get 3.5% back at graduation plus another 4.5% after 33 payments (all percentages based on the original loan amount).

More money now or more money later?

That also reminds me. How realistic is it to expect to make 33 on time payments in a row? It's easy to say right now I won't miss a payment, but they obviously have that requirement for the incentive for a reason.

Amxcvbcv said:
Here's what I'm using for comparison:

http://www.aamc.org/students/medloans/loanstates/loans/bothstaffordoptions_bankone.htm

Now if I could just find their damn lender code.

In the award letter from OU there was a list of preferred lenders, and it listed Medloans, but it only had one lender code. I'm assuming the different medloans options will have different lender codes?

Edit: Upon further exploration it seems that the two Medloans options are actually serviced by two different banks, at least as far as I can tell.

Bank One for the classic option - lender code 808626 (This seems to be the one off the preferred lender list from OU).

Dollar Bank for the zero fees option - lender code 522583.

The 3.3% loan credit after 33 payments looks pretty nice to me, but I'm even strongly considering the classic option.

They take 3% up front for the origination fee, but I get 3.5% back at graduation plus another 4.5% after 33 payments (all percentages based on the original loan amount).

More money now or more money later?

That also reminds me. How realistic is it to expect to make 33 on time payments in a row? It's easy to say right now I won't miss a payment, but they obviously have that requirement for the incentive for a reason.

Remember, any money you borrow now that is unsubsidized (anything above 8500/yr) you will have accrued interest building on. That includes any origination and guarantee fees. So a similar deal on the front side of the loan is usually a better deal, unless the back side terms are much better.

Make for sure you get the lender code for the specific loan.

I originally put Bank of America's generic lender code that was on OU's preferred lender list. When I got my paperwork, there was like 1500.00 worth of fees on there. It took me a bunch of phone calls and alot of stress before finding out that specific loans have specific lender codes.

Members don't see this ad :)
oudoc08 said:
Remember, any money you borrow now that is unsubsidized (anything above 8500/yr) you will have accrued interest building on. That includes any origination and guarantee fees. So a similar deal on the front side of the loan is usually a better deal, unless the back side terms are much better.

Make for sure you get the lender code for the specific loan.

I originally put Bank of America's generic lender code that was on OU's preferred lender list. When I got my paperwork, there was like 1500.00 worth of fees on there. It took me a bunch of phone calls and alot of stress before finding out that specific loans have specific lender codes.

i almost did just that until i saw your post the other day with the specific lender code. thanks. also, do you know if you can put back what you don't use without entering the repayment period? i feel like i'm overborrowing rather than underborrowing right now since i'm not really sure what my budget is going to be.

A lady at the OU financial aid office said you have either 90 or 120 days to return any disbursed funds without question.

Give them a call, if you want! They were very friendly. :)

Amxcvbcv said:
A lady at the OU financial aid office said you have either 90 or 120 days to return any disbursed funds without question.

Give them a call, if you want! They were very friendly. :)

Sounds right to me. In addition, you can pay back the interest throughout school which will help greatly in the long run.

Don't worry, you guys aren't the only ones that feel like you're borrowing too much.

BTW, having impacted wisdom teeth removed sucks. I had it done last friday.

oudoc08 said:
Sounds right to me. In addition, you can pay back the interest throughout school which will help greatly in the long run.

Don't worry, you guys aren't the only ones that feel like you're borrowing too much.

BTW, having impacted wisdom teeth removed sucks. I had it done last friday.

Ouch! I know the feeling. I had all four of mine removed under general anesthesia about 4 years ago. On top of that, my overzealous cleaning in the week afterward left me with dry sockets, and that was horrible!

When they tell you to avoid using a straw for a week or so and to rinse your mouth gently, listen to them. Also make sure your painkiller prescription is for long enough. :p

So how about alternative or private loans? Who are some good lenders? From what I've been able to find it seems like Citibank is pretty decent. Anyone have any suggestions?

Amxcvbcv said:
Ouch! I know the feeling. I had all four of mine removed under general anesthesia about 4 years ago. On top of that, my overzealous cleaning in the week afterward left me with dry sockets, and that was horrible!

When they tell you to avoid using a straw for a week or so and to rinse your mouth gently, listen to them. Also make sure your painkiller prescription is for long enough. :p

It's better now, I still have a little pain and some brusing, as well as these rock hard knots in my jaw, but the swelling is gone, so I don't look like a chipmunk anymore. Ibuprofen works well, and I go back this afternoon to get my sutures out. Not the worst experience in the world, but still not much fun.

I got lucky, I have no dry socket as of yet, but I did have one after an extraction a few years ago. Holy crap that hurts.

thank goodness i don't have to take mine out, but both my parents & older brother did... hmm wonder I will eventually have to too =( they're fine as of now.

oudoc08 said:
It's better now, I still have a little pain and some brusing, as well as these rock hard knots in my jaw, but the swelling is gone, so I don't look like a chipmunk anymore. Ibuprofen works well, and I go back this afternoon to get my sutures out. Not the worst experience in the world, but still not much fun.

I got lucky, I have no dry socket as of yet, but I did have one after an extraction a few years ago. Holy crap that hurts.

When I had mine pulled (all four at once) the dentist accidentally sutured a part of my cheek to my gum.....it really hurt to laugh. :smuggrin:

biendesalud said:
When I had mine pulled (all four at once) the dentist accidentally sutured a part of my cheek to my gum.....it really hurt to laugh. :smuggrin:

I went back to the oral surgeon today hoping he would get rid of these sutures that have been bugging the crap out of me. He didn't, so I sat here tonight with a pair of tweezers and ripped all of them out. Ahhh. Much better. It's like having a bunch of pieces of food stuck in your teeth for a week.

Finally relatively pain free. I think I'll crack a Boulevard for that one.
The damn phone won't quit ringing. My wife is from Checotah, and all her family are friends with the chick that won American Idol, so it's like a freakin' mad house around their place, and they all feel the need to spread their joy. Glad I'm here and can shut off the ringer.

BTW, congrats to all again who are starting MS1 this fall. I know you guys are all pumped, and ready to dive in, but at the same time, nervous and anxious.

Enjoy your summer. Despite what you'll hear, it isn't the last freedom of your life. This summer for example, I've started flight school, laid by the pool, caught up on some reading, played some video games, got a new puppy, beat the wife and children, etc. etc.

In addition, I think you'll find that after the first semester, which is admittedly hectic and somewhat of a challenge to adjust to, life does in fact get better. Our second semester, for me at least, was much better. More than half our class started homeschooling, and people began to figure out their groove. The stress relief comes after you start to figure out that it's not as much about learning, as it is learning HOW TO LEARN.

Everybody's different. Don't let someone convince you that you need to sit in class 8 hours a day, and study the other 16, if that's not what works for you. Personally, I was good with a few hours a day, others slept in the mod, and ate, drank and breathed the stuff.

Try to keep your life and your sanity first. Without it, the bookwork will not sink in. Don't neglect your family, your friends, your hobbies, or your life in general. Of course you have to make sacrifices, but take a little out of each of those things, and you'll find you have enough time to have your cadaver and eat it too. :confused: Wait, that's not.. Never mind.

In any case, in the words of the great Milton...

"Umm... excu...excuse me, I.. I believe you have my stapler..."

aj114 said:
Does anyone know if we have access to the pool/gym at Presbyterian center? I can't think of the name of the building right now...

The gym in the student union is free, but the center you're referring to is available for a fee. Not sure how much. I remember thinking it was more than I wanted to pay, but I wouldn't have used it that much. Other students join that want to take advantage of it's many more services. Seems like there is kickboxing, aerobics, and a bunch of stuff like that. I know it does get brought and offered to students either before school or during orientation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything from OU. It seems like they should be sending us some info on starting classes and fitting us for our white coats.... August isn't that far away! I'm pumped! :D

Hey OUdoc - Thanks for the advice =) Office space rocks! I have to try this Boulevard everyone is talking about...

Yep I'm totally pumped for the fall! As for the summer, I'm looking into an all-inclusive resort packages to cazumel, mexico (sandwich btw 2 beachside..it's so sweet) includes all water ski activities/ 3stars/ meals/ open bar/ spa/ air/ 5 days, 4 nights/ $700 (can't beat that huh?..a good way to spend the tax refunds)

island in the sun...oh yea :cool:

lfesiam said:
Hey OUdoc - Thanks for the advice =) Office space rocks! I have to try this Boulevard everyone is talking about...

Yep I'm totally pumped for the fall! As for the summer, I'm looking into an all-inclusive resort packages to cazumel, mexico (sandwich btw 2 beachside..it's so sweet) includes all water ski activities/ 3stars/ meals/ open bar/ spa/ air/ 5 days, 4 nights/ $700 (can't beat that huh?..a good way to spend the tax refunds)

Go to the El Cozumeleno resort. It's my wife and I's resort of choice in Cozumel. It's awesome, the all-inclusive service rocks, the food's OK for cozumel (no places there are really that great, but that's happens when they try their hand at American food), the snorkeling rocks, and it's the best resort on the main part of the island. There are a couple of nearly new ones, but they're so far south on the island that it takes you like a 30 minute cab ride to there from town.

If you've never been there, here's my 0.02. Do the snorkel boat trip, don't do the glass bottom boat, go deep sea fishing (if you like that), and just generally soak up the sun and the senoritas. Hit Senor Frogs while you're there, and by all means do some scuba diving if you can.

Oh and by the way, thanks a freaking lot. Now I'm sitting around pissed off at the stinkin' dentist for stealing my cozumel money (700.00) to spend 15 minutes on a root canal. Buncha crooks. Grrrr.

:mad: :mad: :mad: ***going on a dental student/dentist rampage*** :mad: :mad: :mad:

Lata

lfesiam said:

Hum, that sounds good. I 'm going to check into Cazumel! What is the name of the resort? :)

if you deep sea fish, do a private charter. the big cheap boats suck bad and you won't catch anything.

Amxcvbcv said:

Here's my wisdom teeth story:
Okay, so about three days after I had my wisdom teeth removed I was feelin great, I thought 'wow, I didn't think they would heal that fast, great!". Little did I know...The next day I woke up and my upper right socket was killin me. I figured it was just infected so I went to OSU's health center and sure enough the Doc said it was just infected and here's some pills yadda yadda yadda. Then, it kept on hurting and hurting and i realized that my sinus fluid and such gross stuff was draining from my sinus into my mouth. YUCK, they had drilled a hole into my sinus..could it get any worse??? Of course it could. So that friday, a week after my surgery, I went back in, got knocked out again, and had the surgeon repair the hole. OK so that should be it right? no. My right cheek swelled up so big that it looked like I had a tennis ball in my mouth. To make matters worse, all the trauma to my cheek muscles caused my jaw to be basically clamped shut. I couldnt eat unless it was liquid...So, i'm thinkin..well...i guess it'll go down in a couple of days. NO, it didn't so i went to class all week with this monstrous cheek and my jaw still locked firmly closed. Finally I couldn't take it anymore because it hurt more than i can describe. If I even touched my cheek it hurt like hell. So, i went back in the next friday and got knocked out again so they could fix it. Apparantly, something had happened during the 2nd surgery and my cheek had gotten all infected. So, they put a rubber tube thingy in the inside of my cheek and I had to leave it there until it was finished draining. Ugh! So I had nasty ooze coming outta this tube into my mouth. Pretty much the grossest and most painful ordeal ever....But after that THIRD surgery everything was all better :) Except for the scar tissue that i can still feel in my cheek...and the fact that my arms were so bruised from the IV's that I looked like a drug addict...<sigh> Just thought I would share that...

Dr Turninkoff said:
if you deep sea fish, do a private charter. the big cheap boats suck bad and you won't catch anything.

Absolutely, absolutely. Price wise, a full day charter boat shared with another group of people is about the same as a half day private charter. (seems like it was about 300 bucks or so either way, not a bad deal especially if you split the cost with a buddy or two). A half day private boat just you, is way better than a whole day shared with anybody else that isn't part of your group. Even if you don't catch all the fish, it's way more fun to cheer on your friends, than people you don't know.

We had a great experience. We were going to share a boat for a full day with two other people, then at the dock the other people didn't show, and that boat owner said he wasn't going to take a cut in pay for the whole day, so the tour guy arranged for us to have a half day instead but with it was going to be just us. We were okay with the deal, but then to "apologize" for the confusion, they arranged for us to have an entire day in a private boat for no extra charge. My buddy and I spent the day catching blackfin tuna, barracuda, and he hooked into some kind of shark. It was a blast.

Cozumel is awesome, the people are very friendly, and I think it's one of the best bangs for your buck out there.

Cricket09 said:
Okay, so about three days after I had my wisdom teeth removed I was feelin great, I thought 'wow, I didn't think they would heal that fast, great!". Little did I know...The next day I woke up and my upper right socket was killin me. I figured it was just infected so I went to OSU's health center and sure enough the Doc said it was just infected and here's some pills yadda yadda yadda. Then, it kept on hurting and hurting and i realized that my sinus fluid and such gross stuff was draining from my sinus into my mouth. YUCK, they had drilled a hole into my sinus..could it get any worse??? Of course it could. So that friday, a week after my surgery, I went back in, got knocked out again, and had the surgeon repair the hole. OK so that should be it right? no. My right cheek swelled up so big that it looked like I had a tennis ball in my mouth. To make matters worse, all the trauma to my cheek muscles caused my jaw to be basically clamped shut. I couldnt eat unless it was liquid...So, i'm thinkin..well...i guess it'll go down in a couple of days. NO, it didn't so i went to class all week with this monstrous cheek and my jaw still locked firmly closed. Finally I couldn't take it anymore because it hurt more than i can describe. If I even touched my cheek it hurt like hell. So, i went back in the next friday and got knocked out again so they could fix it. Apparantly, something had happened during the 2nd surgery and my cheek had gotten all infected. So, they put a rubber tube thingy in the inside of my cheek and I had to leave it there until it was finished draining. Ugh! So I had nasty ooze coming outta this tube into my mouth. Pretty much the grossest and most painful ordeal ever....But after that THIRD surgery everything was all better :) Except for the scar tissue that i can still feel in my cheek...and the fact that my arms were so bruised from the IV's that I looked like a drug addict...<sigh> Just thought I would share that...

Nice!

Who pays for the follow-up procedures if there are complications like that?

Cricket09 said:

Man that sucks. I remember the oral surgeon describing such a scenario as a possible consequence. I'm truly thankful I'm 5 days out with nothing more than a little muscle soreness, a little canker sore type thing where I must've bit my cheek earlier in the week, and some bilateral bruising.

Amxcvbcv said:
Nice!

I assume that it's still the patients responsibility as that's usually the reason for making sure the patient understands the risks involved with any procedure.

Unless technical incompetence could be proved, they would likely say that xrays, etc. don't show everything, and that in the process of removing the teeth, a fistula was created due to the position and lack of stability of the maxillary structure. They would back that up using literature that shows that that particular complication is a statistcally recognized one in surgical extraction, and thus not likely due to incompetence. As in medicine, complications are a risk to any procedure. (Much as I hate to defend dentists, that's the reason you sign consent forms.)

I still feel your pain though. That royally bites, especially if you're like me and have no Satan *oops, sorry* dental insurance.

it's official quiting job on june 24th, JULY = FUN IN THE SUN, AUGUST = OUHSC SOONERS, going to need help in learning all of the OU and OK traditions =)

wonder if there are MD/DMD docs (yep dentists need to be regulated! $$$$$ grubers)

lfesiam said:
it's official quiting job on june 24th, JULY = FUN IN THE SUN, AUGUST = OUHSC SOONERS, going to need help in learning all of the OU and OK traditions =)

wonder if there are MD/DMD docs (yep dentists need to be regulated! $$$$$ grubers)
I'm sure there are, but not in our class. There is a definite animosity between med and dental students. You'll see what I mean.

lfesiam said:

Lfes-
OK tradition- get ready to start eating at Braums and Mazzios Pizza, and getting your gas from QT. Three of the best things to ever come out of Oklahoma :D.

Wondering if any of you guys could recommend a doctor to shadow this summer.

Smitty3L said:
Wondering if any of you guys could recommend a doctor to shadow this summer.

Location? Specialty?

Amxcvbcv said:
Nice!

I think we had to pay for the second surgery but the third one was on the house...yipeee... :rolleyes:

oudoc08 said:
Location? Specialty?

I live in south OKC, and any primary care specialty, family practice, ER, pediatrician, etc.

Smitty3L said:
I live in south OKC, and any primary care specialty, family practice, ER, pediatrician, etc.

I PM'd you w/ contact info for a ER doc in Midwest City.

ouch.

Based on the results of a Treasury bill auction, the in-school rate on the federal Stafford loan will rise by 1.93 percentage points to 4.7 percent.

The rate for loans in repayment will rise by the same percentage to 5.3 percent, while the PLUS loan rate for parents will rise to 6.1 percent.

The rates are based on the three-month Treasury bill auctioned Tuesday. That bill carried a discount rate of 2.935 percent. The discount rate a year ago, before the Federal Reserve started to raise its guiding interest rate, was 1.050 percent. That resulted in the lowest interest rates ever for student loans.

Dr Turninkoff said:
ouch.

Based on the results of a Treasury bill auction, the in-school rate on the federal Stafford loan will rise by 1.93 percentage points to 4.7 percent.

The rate for loans in repayment will rise by the same percentage to 5.3 percent, while the PLUS loan rate for parents will rise to 6.1 percent.

The rates are based on the three-month Treasury bill auctioned Tuesday. That bill carried a discount rate of 2.935 percent. The discount rate a year ago, before the Federal Reserve started to raise its guiding interest rate, was 1.050 percent. That resulted in the lowest interest rates ever for student loans.

Damn, that sucks. Is this official? Where did you read this from? The finaid office was saying it would be closer to 4.0%, but I guess that was only speculation on their part.

I'm taking the ostrich head-in-the-sand approach to interest rates for now. I need to pay for school, and the only way I can do it is with loans. :p

I'll worry about it again in 4 years when it comes time to consolidate.

I have one of those impatient type questions for the current OU med students. ;)

When do we get login type information for the OUHSC? Particularly information on e-mail. I've been using my OU account for practically everything even though I graduated in 2004. I'm not sure when they cut you off, but I have a feeling my already numbered days are dwindling into the single digits. I've used this address for 5+ years and it's going to be a painful process, but it should be nice to have a new address that should give me a brief respite from the spam for German porn (or any kind, for that matter). I have a gmail account that I've been using off-and-on, but I'm just curious. :)

Which reminds me, I have 50 invites to send out on my gmail account. If anyone's interested in one, send me a PM.

I got my master promissory note in the mail the other day. Before I send it back I want to make sure that I have the right lender code. Does anyone know what the Bank of America code is that doesn't have all the extra charges?

Ginz20 said:
I got my master promissory note in the mail the other day. Before I send it back I want to make sure that I have the right lender code. Does anyone know what the Bank of America code is that doesn't have all the extra charges?

the maximizer loan which is the no-fee option is 834004

Amxcvbcv said:
I have one of those impatient type questions for the current OU med students. ;)

When do we get login type information for the OUHSC? Particularly information on e-mail. I've been using my OU account for practically everything even though I graduated in 2004. I'm not sure when they cut you off, but I have a feeling my already numbered days are dwindling into the single digits. I've used this address for 5+ years and it's going to be a painful process, but it should be nice to have a new address that should give me a brief respite from the spam for German porn (or any kind, for that matter). I have a gmail account that I've been using off-and-on, but I'm just curious. :)

Which reminds me, I have 50 invites to send out on my gmail account. If anyone's interested in one, send me a PM.

You get all your online access, hippocrates, etc. at orienation, as well as mailbox keys, desk keys, mod assignments, etc.

Totally understand about the impatient thing.
Just take my frequently repeated advice, and don't buy any books prior to class starting. You also don't need the "required" texts. (There's like four required biochem texts, and most people I know of bought none of them. Syllabus alone is sufficient for biochem. The only first sem. books you need is Netters atlas, & Chungs for anatomy.
The rest are a waste of money, and you likely wouldn't ever have time to break the plastic.

als12179 said:
the maximizer loan which is the no-fee option is 834004

I don't know if it makes a difference, but all my paperwork on this loan has it as 83400400.

Does anybody know how early we need to order our computer (i.e. how long it takes to arrive). If I have savings or a credit card, is there any reason to wait for my financial aid disembursement before buying? I would prefer to begin enjoying my post y2k computer asap :)

biendesalud said:
Does anybody know how early we need to order our computer (i.e. how long it takes to arrive). If I have savings or a credit card, is there any reason to wait for my financial aid disembursement before buying? I would prefer to begin enjoying my post y2k computer asap :)

If you've got the means now, I don't see why you can't go ahead and order one. Depending on where you get it from I bet most places would have it shipped to you within 2-7 days.

Amxcvbcv said:
If you've got the means now, I don't see why you can't go ahead and order one. Depending on where you get it from I bet most places would have it shipped to you within 2-7 days.

I bought my laptop from Dell about this time last year, and was glad I did. It gave me the chance to play around with it before having to dive into school. I bought it on Dell's credit plan which was like 90 days same as cash or whatever, and paid it off as soon as the first student loan disbursement came out. I think I saw that the first disbursement this year is Aug. 9th which falls within any 90 days same as cash programs. It's a good idea, because that will force you to pay it off, instead of racking it up on a credit card that might not get paid off.
The Aug. 9th disbursement is great, because last year, the disbursement didn't come out until we were already in our 2nd week of class. That's because the other schools, (pharmacy, nursing, etc.) don't start up until then, and the financial aid was lined up with their schedule, not ours. That really sucks when you're needing to buy syllabi, books, etc., and don't have the money yet.
Hopefully, this year it will be different.

Damn it.

I'm just ready to gt started. It's been, "I want to go to medical school" my whole life and now that I'm in I'm ready to rock this thing.

I know it'll be here soon. I just hate parts of my job(s) now, and I'm ready to get it on.

I can definitely relate to just wanting to get this started. Of course, after the first month or so, I might be wishing I'd had more time to relax :D Speaking of impatience, has anyone received anything about orientation, housing, etc? I heard that the dental students have started to get things, so I'm wondering where mine is-- but if you're all as empty-mailboxed as me, I'll try to be patient :)

hey what sup guys, been hanging with my gf this week, she just left for UT southwestern MD/PhD program in dallas (they start in june, crazy). Dude, so I just saw the longest yard, it was actually pretty good, if you're into football/comedy/prison humor, definitely check it out.

yea the computer thingy, I was wondering if we can buy it now from the OU-linked Dell website or do we have to wait until we official establish our comp ids/emails etc... I guess I'll ask michelle about it. Dell is pretty sturdy, had one for 5 years, no probs.

pbeh- hey man we gotta watch the liverpool/ac milan game when we get there (well atleast the last 15 mins)

WhoisJohnGalt said:
I heard that the dental students have started to get things, so I'm wondering where mine is-- but if you're all as empty-mailboxed as me, I'll try to be patient :)
My mailbox is empty too. I remember seeing a post that OU will be sending info this month. I'm like you; I'm ready to get this show on the road.

They're supposed to send out the packets today, so they should get to people some time next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.