Okay math geniuses... help me out here

Frosted Pumpkin

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay my goal is to get into Baylor University and then go on to medical school.

The 25-75th percentiles are 1100-1300 with an estimated midpoint at 1210 being average (50th) overall.

The supposed GPA of those transferring to Baylor from a 2-yr college is 3.17.

The total acceptance rate of applicants to Baylor are 64-72%.

Therefore I have this chart:

0%---------25%-----------50%----------75%----------100%
x-----------1100-----------1210---------1300--------------------BU SAT
x-----------1100-----------1240---------1300--------------------UTA SAT
x|36%------------------------------------------------------|----acc. rate
GPA------------|------------3.17-----------|---------------|
------------------------------------------------|76%|
SAT Me----------------------------------------1320--------|
GPA Me----embarrassing----------------------------------|

Okay now the midpoint of a 64% acceptance rate is 68%. My SAT is around 76% which is pretty good looking.

My GPA is what the internet crowd would call "EPIC FAIL" and estimated to be closer to the lower end of acceptance or roughly 36th percentile or worse.

Can anyone can calculate the GPA chart and figure out the max/min? I don't know if there is enough information but I could find a rough estimate with a calculator.

So the key here is of accepted students we are talking the average is around 1210 SAT. Statistically speaking, I am about one standard deviation off the average.

The 0th-100th percentile in GPA by admitted students is roughly comparable to the figures of the 64% of accepted applicants. Hence the 36th percentile of applicants is equivalent to the 0th percentile of admitted students.

The key is to better 36% of applicants in order to equal the lowest rung of applicants.

The math seems to indicate that I am, SAT-wise, in the 84th percentile of applicants, but roughly 76th of admitted students. Which is pretty good, not exceptional.

Damn, math is a bitch. Can anyone make sense of this?

Any math geniuses want to take a stab at what kind of GPA I should shoot for in the next couple semesters before I transfer?

I used to be a math genius, my math IQ is over 150, and I used to be pretty much the quickest math guy in the whole state. Then I had that accident and it screwed me up and now I'm feeling a little light-headed looking at all of this.

Members don't see this ad.

Er... As high as possible?

Also, be careful not to blow us away with your humility. Jesus might get jealous.

Okay my goal is to get into Baylor University and then go on to medical school.

The 25-75th percentiles are 1100-1300 with an estimated midpoint at 1210 being average (50th) overall.

The supposed GPA of those transferring to Baylor from a 2-yr college is 3.17.

The total acceptance rate of applicants to Baylor are 64-72%.

Therefore I have this chart:

0%---------25%-----------50%----------75%----------100%
x-----------1100-----------1210---------1300--------------------BU SAT
x-----------1100-----------1240---------1300--------------------UTA SAT
x|36%------------------------------------------------------|----acc. rate
GPA------------|------------3.17-----------|---------------|
------------------------------------------------|76%|
SAT Me----------------------------------------1320--------|
GPA Me----embarrassing----------------------------------|

Okay now the midpoint of a 64% acceptance rate is 68%. My SAT is around 76% which is pretty good looking.

My GPA is what the internet crowd would call "EPIC FAIL" and estimated to be closer to the lower end of acceptance or roughly 36th percentile or worse.

Can anyone can calculate the GPA chart and figure out the max/min? I don't know if there is enough information but I could find a rough estimate with a calculator.

So the key here is of accepted students we are talking the average is around 1210 SAT. Statistically speaking, I am about one standard deviation off the average.

The 0th-100th percentile in GPA by admitted students is roughly comparable to the figures of the 64% of accepted applicants. Hence the 36th percentile of applicants is equivalent to the 0th percentile of admitted students.

The key is to better 36% of applicants in order to equal the lowest rung of applicants.

The math seems to indicate that I am, SAT-wise, in the 84th percentile of applicants, but roughly 76th of admitted students. Which is pretty good, not exceptional.

Damn, math is a bitch. Can anyone make sense of this?

Any math geniuses want to take a stab at what kind of GPA I should shoot for in the next couple semesters before I transfer?

I used to be a math genius, my math IQ is over 150, and I used to be pretty much the quickest math guy in the whole state. Then I had that accident and it screwed me up and now I'm feeling a little light-headed looking at all of this.

Above a 3.17 which is the avg. transfer GPA @ Baylor. Make sure all your transfer stats are above average.

As tibula said, as high as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Er... As high as possible?

Also, be careful not to blow us away with your humility. Jesus might get jealous.

That's not the point. The point here is I have some good points and bad points. The bright side of the equation is my SAT is, although not a 1600, it is good enough. The bad part is my GPA so far is less than stellar and right now I'd be pushing it to try and even make the 50% mark.

But there is no need to do that. Heck if I can figure out the 25th percentile of GPA by admitted students or 52nd percentile of applicants, then I have a pretty good shot overall.

Above a 3.17 which is the avg. transfer GPA @ Baylor. Make sure all your transfer stats are above average.

As tibula said, as high as possible.

If I make a 3.17, which would almost be impossible at this point, I have a 50-50 shot without the SAT calculated in.

The question now becomes, how much does SAT count for students who already have college work completed and does the GPA completely override the SAT scores?

SAT takes precedent over GPA because it's regulated. On the other hand, unless you have a good reason for your crappy GPA, you're going to come off as one of those brilliant-but-unmotivated students that colleges really don't want.

I have no idea why you're bothering to figure out the lowest possible GPA that you can get and still have a chance at getting in. The higher, the better, is generally how it goes.

That's not the point. The point here is I have some good points and bad points. The bright side of the equation is my SAT is, although not a 1600, it is good enough. The bad part is my GPA so far is less than stellar and right now I'd be pushing it to try and even make the 50% mark.

But there is no need to do that. Heck if I can figure out the 25th percentile of GPA by admitted students or 52nd percentile of applicants, then I have a pretty good shot overall.

If I make a 3.17, which would almost be impossible at this point, I have a 50-50 shot without the SAT calculated in.

The question now becomes, how much does SAT count for students who already have college work completed and does the GPA completely override the SAT scores?

I'm not sure what you mean, to be honest.

How many semesters of college work have you completed?

What actually is you GPA as of right now?

If you have a 2.99 and can show them a high SAT I score, then I would honestly say you have a decent shot.

I do not think that GPA completely overrides the SAT scores but, I mean, I don't really know your GPA. I'd say below 2.5 and you are probably screwed in terms of getting into Baylor, sorry.

SAT takes precedent over GPA because it's regulated. On the other hand, unless you have a good reason for your crappy GPA, you're going to come off as one of those brilliant-but-unmotivated students that colleges really don't want.

I have no idea why you're bothering to figure out the lowest possible GPA that you can get and still have a chance at getting in. The higher, the better, is generally how it goes.

-That is true..

-Yeah, like at Ohio State and a lot of other schools, as long as you have like a 3.5 or something, you are basically just accepted. Idk about Baylor but I'm sure that they do things similarly.

And what are you basing this on, Jeff? Your status as an adcom?

Frosted Pumpkin, you have to keep in mind that nothing is definite here. College admissions is a crapshoot, especially when you get into higher, more selective universities, and all you can do is pile on enough positives to try to cancel out the negatives. Don't listen to anyone who tells you that anything below X, or anything above X, is going to get you rejected/admitted. They're full of it.

ETA: And actually, OSU has been getting increasingly selective over the years. I mean, they're no Ivy League, but it's not as cut and dry as "Oh, okay, all the +3.5 GPAs are in, let's move on to the next 10,000 applicants" anymore.

Frosted Pumpkin, you have to keep in mind that nothing is definite here. College admissions is a crapshoot, especially when you get into higher, more selective universities, and all you can do is pile on enough positives to try to cancel out the negatives. Don't listen to anyone who tells you that anything below X, or anything above X, is going to get you rejected/admitted. They're full of it.

ETA: And actually, OSU has been getting increasingly selective over the years. I mean, they're no Ivy League, but it's not as cut and dry as "Oh, okay, all the +3.5 GPAs are in, let's move on to the next 10,000 applicants" anymore.

Depends.

With the Baylor thing, I am going strictly by stats, who knows, he may have the SAT score, write a great essay and get in. I mean, that is what it seems like he has to do.

As far as OSU, they accept 84% of transfers. Freshman admissions actually seems more competitive than transfer admissions, tbh.

Another thing, and this is at a lot of schools, after about 30 credits (or a year of college I guess), all OSU-Columbus wants is your College Transcript, your SAT's are forgotten and so is your HS record, they don't even want it.

Anyone with more than 30 credits is given priority.

So, someone with a 3.5 College GPA and 35 credits may actually have a much easier time getting in than someone with a 3.5 College GPA and 15 credits.

As dumb as it sounds, it's true, and OSU is very strict about that. If you don't have 30+ credits, your HS stuff still holds weight.

How much weight is up to the adcoms to decide.

I am going by stats and word of mouth here.

I hope you were not referring to me. Because i never said he was going to get rejected.

Let's be real here though, his chances are not the best. I still think he definitely has a chance.

I'm just saying that you shouldn't tell people that they have a good shot at getting in or that they're screwed, because you don't know--no one does--and it's not fair to the OP. Don't make claims you can't backup.

I know that it's easier to transfer in, but the OP is looking into applying as a freshman, so therefore, that was the context I was taking the situation in. This thread is for Frosted Pumpkin. Talking about your situation isn't relevant to him at all.

Let's be real here though, his chances are not the best. I still think he definitely has a chance.

Self-contradiction. It's a wonderful thing.

I'm just saying that you shouldn't tell people that they have a good shot at getting in or that they're screwed, because you don't know--no one does--and it's not fair to the OP. Don't make claims you can't backup.

I know that it's easier to transfer in, but the OP is looking into applying as a freshman, so therefore, that was the context I was taking the situation in. This thread is for Frosted Pumpkin. Talking about your situation isn't relevant to him at all.

OP, just make sure your Essay is stellar.

I did not know that the OP is looking to apply as a freshman. I thought that he was applying as a transfer student. He mentions what GPA he can max out at and then mentions transferring in (If I was reading his original post correctly.)

I apologize for not reading the entire post.

Sorry guys for all the confusion. I'm a transfer student with less than 30 hours. My goal is to complete 60 hours and get into Baylor with an A.A.

Now does that make it a little clearer for everyone?

Guys thanks for your help. I'm sorry to inconvenience either of you.

I personally should probably just call the school and talk to a counselor of some sort in admissions.

But thanks for everyone's help.

Personally, I think a 3.0 average is pretty decent. Not law school good or medical school good, but it is something that can be worked on over time and improved, that I am sure of.

Considering the transfer GPA is a 3.17, the 3.0 doesn't sound like it would be too detrimental to the overall chances of acceptance, though it probably wouldn't particularly help much.

Baylor limits the number of hours you can transfer towards a bachelor's, by the way.

Yeah I know. I remember seeing it somewhere on their site but as far as the exact number I don't remember.