OK to post a pdf of your pub on your website?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aclamity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it OK to post a pdf of your pub on a personal website/blog? I only ask because you generally have to pay for downloading an article on pubmed

Members don't see this ad.

In general, no. Typically you have given copyright to the journal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many journals allow authors to share a copy with peers for educational use.

Email the journal to see if they will allow you to share a copy. If they say yes, then go ahead and post.

That is exactly how I have understood the rules for sharing published papers. That you may share them for educational purposes. Yes, talk to the journal.

I also wonder if your academic institution can help in some way. The reason I say that is because typically I see papers on faculty members web pages within the university sites.

NOOO! Not unless you buy the copyright from the journal. Please do not do this, you nay face legal action. Review the copyright standards of the particular journal that published you. If that journal made your article public or will make it public in the future, you can link the article on your website. But keep in mind that you cannot redistribute or republish your work because once u r published u no longer own the rights...not unless u buy the copyright.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk