OK, Have you seen Miss N.C.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
She's a dental student at Univ. of North Carolina and OH....MY....GOD...

Wow, any of her classmates out there on SDN? :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Thats really funny, my roommate thought she was the prettiest also.

I was cheering when I saw Miss Florida doing the "Gator chomp" in front of UF's football stadium (which, by the way, is right across the street from where I live).

The girl from Miss. that won is hot also.

gatorfan.

gatorfan99 said:
The girl from Miss. that won is hot also.

gatorfan.

You mean Missouri (Miss. is usually Mississippi), anywho, Miss South Carolina is also hot, damn, a lot of the contestants are like 6'0", those legs....DAMN they're amazing!!!

:love:

Thank god for female species and female anatomy!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yah-E said:
You mean Missouri (Miss. is usually Mississippi), anywho, Miss South Carolina is also hot, damn, a lot of the contestants are like 6'0", those legs....DAMN they're amazing!!!

:love:

Thank god for female species and female anatomy!

Down boy, down :cool:

Yeah she's a first year, word is she doesn't actually want to be a dentist. She's auditing this year but still is taking classes. She's pretty good looking but is pretty different than that pageant act she put on, from what i hear of course.

Sam Spade said:
Sorry boyz, this girl is a total embarrassment to my school, the profession, and above all, the women in dentistry that are trying so hard to be taken seriously. Furthermore, UNC dental school does not excuse a leave of absence for research or academic purposes (eg, international scholar programs) so why does it allow Ashley Puleo the semester off to compete in a beauty contest?

I have heard from many people that UNC runs one of the finest dental schools in the nation, but I was really surprised when someone made a comment on these boards about the extent that petty politics influence affairs at the school. Sadly, I have to say that this development doesn't exactly put the school in a good light.

Does anyone know if she is occupying a "seat" by auditing at the school, and quite frankly hearing the words auditing and dental school in the same sentence is quite frightening.

BTW, yeah she's really pretty, but IMHO Miss South Carolina is untouchable among this year's contestants.

She started the year with the class of 2007. After winning Miss NC and finishing the first semester, she realized that her duties as Miss NC (suprisingly quite extensive) were too much to balance with being a D1.

She is now a member of the class of 2008, and will be joining them for spring semester next year. The University would not allow her any advanced standing etc for classes next year, regardless of how much she can audit. Therefore, all of her auditing is only for personal benefit. FYI, she had been in class alot up until the pageant. I would guess she will be in class a bunch afterward as well.

She's planning on pedo.

Wish her the best of luck. If she wins, she will be great PR for dentistry. Just imagine all those "beauty pageant moms" who will suddenly be inspired to take "princess" to the dentist on a regular basis to help insure and maintain that perfect smile. Money, Money Money

Wow, quite a bit of UNC dental peeps here on SDN! According to her MISS USA official website page profile, she wanted to be an Orthodontist! Class of 2008 now huh? Sweet! So if/when I'm PGY-1 at UNC for OMFS, she'll only be a third year, huh? :D

Is she single, do y'all know? :love:

Alright, I'm only kidding, y'all know that right? Ashley's very attractive, but my classmates and I were saying, screwing Miss N.C. from UNC Dental, we have several very attractive classmates in my class, we can do a beauty pageant of our own! :laugh:

G:

Keep them karma points coming!

ehop24 said:
She started the year with the class of 2007. After winning Miss NC and finishing the first semester, she realized that her duties as Miss NC (suprisingly quite extensive) were too much to balance with being a D1.

She is now a member of the class of 2008, and will be joining them for spring semester next year. The University would not allow her any advanced standing etc for classes next year, regardless of how much she can audit. Therefore, all of her auditing is only for personal benefit. FYI, she had been in class alot up until the pageant. I would guess she will be in class a bunch afterward as well.

She's planning on pedo.

Put this way it doesn't sound that bad. I got the impression that her only association with the school was as someone auditing classes to order to consider dentistry as a profession. Whether right or wrong, I think that almost any school would have done the same thing for the publicity it generates.

Sam Spade said:
The publicity it generates? Dignified educational institutions seeking publicity through popular entertainment? This is not how I like to see my professional school represented. Now if she was in the public eye as a talented athlete or
musician, I'd be supportive, but please.. it's a beauty contest.. and what a farce.. really, am I the only one who'd never even heard of the Miss USA pageant? As I understand, our lovely Miss NC is currently occupying two positions in the dental school (Class of 2007 and 2008) that could have otherwise been filled by two individuals that actually want to be dentists.

Like it or not dentistry is also a business in the USA. Promotion is part of the game. People have diffferent takes on Donald Trump, but one thing he is reported to have said is that it amazed him how careless some folks are when it comes to prepping a product for optimum sales potential. The example he gave was the $200.00 a lot of folks forfeit on the private sale of a used car because they do not take time to wash it before putting it on the market.

Again, right or wrong these beauty pageants have huge audiences and there's a lot of money involved. There are few schools that would not have accomodated her. I am surprised that it was a state school though, it is usually private schools that go for this kind of thing. Then again state funding for education is getting really bad of late.

BTW, I'd have to question where you're from if you haven't heard of the Miss USA pageant (did I understand you correctly?). I mean pageants like Miss World and Miss Universe gets broadcast in over 100 nations. Her pic was probably in 1000s of newspapers worldwide. Right or wrong, money talks.

I can't argue that she's taking up space in two classes. I'm sure there are 100 people that would have loved to have had her spot in the class of 2007. It sucks.

However, maybe it's my interpretation, but some posts seem to be coming across as if she isn't qualified or that it might be a publicity move for the school.

First, she didnt know she was going to win miss NC. It happened halfway through the semester. Nobody, not UNC or ashley, could have counted on that. I played the lottery a few weeks ago (the odds are slightly different here). If i won I'd likely still finish school, but i can't pass on dental school because i might win the lottery.

Regardless of what she does in her spare time (beauty pageants...not necessarily the best thing our society has to offer), the girl has an MPH from Emory, played college sports, worked at the CDC, and probably a bunch more accolades i dont know about.

She's more qualified to be in dental school than I am. And I'm not a beauty. Aside from all this, it's over. I dont think she gets another shot. She finished 3rd. Unless there's a big market for 2nd runner up in the miss usa pageant, i'd guess she'll finish up her DDS.

Her acceptance into UNC had nothing to do with the pageant, as was pointed out above. She was a very well qualified candidate. In my opinion and in agreement w/ sam spade, I think that the one single line of info about her attending the school gives us zero publicity. What do we need it for? The school has enough applicants as it is, and I don't see my fees getting lowered because of support from the American Beaty Pageant Association or whatever. In the meantime, there are some angry classmates of hers. In op. dentistry i've heard she hogs the instructors (every class has a few of those) and takes time away from other people who need the instruction and are actually enrolled right now.

sxr71 said:
BTW, I'd have to question where you're from if you haven't heard of the Miss USA pageant (did I understand you correctly?). I mean pageants like Miss World and Miss Universe gets broadcast in over 100 nations. Her pic was probably in 1000s of newspapers worldwide. Right or wrong, money talks.

FYI, the Miss USA contest feeds into the Miss Universe contest. I only know this cuz i went to a Miss Greater Los Angeles Contest (the feeder for the Miss California USA contest), where I fell in love with Miss Teen California....(it ok, she was 18!).

My opinion is good for her. If it can't get just one more person to go see a dentist, it is a good thing. Although it is unfortunate that she may have taken 1 persons spot in the UNC Class, she undoubtely deserved to be in the school.

Sam Spade said:
Sorry boyz, this girl is a total embarrassment to my school, the profession, and above all, the women in dentistry that are trying so hard to be taken seriously. Furthermore, UNC dental school does not excuse a leave of absence for research or academic purposes (eg, international scholar programs) so why does it allow Ashley Puleo the semester off to compete in a beauty contest?

Hey now, my school had someone on Survivor! Jed Hildebrand was not only on Survivor Thailand, but he told the dean he was going to Thailand over the summer for missionary work(he basically skipped a bunch of class). The dean found out when his picture was on the cover of USA Today. If that wasn't enough, he was voted the laziest "survivor" and got voted off pretty early. I don't think Miss UNC is that bad for your school, personally.

I don't see anything wrong with the school giving her time off to participate in the competition. How often does that happen in dental school anyways? - and when it does, there should be an exemption, as long as the commitment to Dental School is not effected.

I think it's wrong for her class-mates to pass judgement on what she did. I don't see any harm of doing such thing, unless she has the personality to proof something!

Her classmates get frustrated because they have to wait on instructors who are helping her instead of them....even though she will be taking operative dentistry over again next year, while they will be in clinic having to work on patients. I think that most students would get frustrated in this situation.

DcS said:
Her classmates get frustrated because they have to wait on instructors who are helping her instead of them....even though she will be taking operative dentistry over again next year, while they will be in clinic having to work on patients. I think that most students would get frustrated in this situation.
I can't stand people like that, but I imagine I had better get used to it.