Ohio State c/o 2017 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildcatj

Mizzou c/o 2017!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting this one too!

Members don't see this ad.

Best thread ever!

In case you wanted an idea...here's week 2 of our classes.

schedulewk2.jpg

I had a bit of fun with this! Lol.

Also, don't sweat the admissions process for OSU. I kind of BS'ed the supplemental application (the one where you had to fill out the competencies with each type of animal, how many you've handled, etc.) and pretty much bombed my interview, and they still accepted me! :love:

Best thread ever!

In case you wanted an idea...here's week 2 of our classes.

schedulewk2.jpg

I had a bit of fun with this! Lol.

Also, don't sweat the admissions process for OSU. I kind of BS'ed the supplemental application (the one where you had to fill out the competencies with each type of animal, how many you've handled, etc.) and pretty much bombed my interview, and they still accepted me! :love:

That looks... Fun? Boy am I going to miss being in class for 5 hours a day...

Members don't see this ad :)
That looks... Fun? Boy am I going to miss being in class for 5 hours a day...

Lol...don't stress too much. For the bolded labs, you only need to attend half (you are assigned a group). And that's really the worst week. A lot of weeks, I only have one class on Fridays, or get out at noon certain days. Don't let it deter you :D

Lol...don't stress too much. For the bolded labs, you only need to attend half (you are assigned a group). And that's really the worst week. A lot of weeks, I only have one class on Fridays, or get out at noon certain days. Don't let it deter you :D

I like the sound of that! All I can think about though is how badly my back is going to hurt sitting in class all day.:(

Wahoo for Ohio people :thumbup:. Good luck and don't let NStarz scare you, vet school is gonna be awesome!

Just checking in. :p I didn't last year, but this year I'm applying to Ohio State. :)

I kind of BS'ed the supplemental application (the one where you had to fill out the competencies with each type of animal, how many you've handled, etc.) and pretty much bombed my interview, and they still accepted me! :love:

I just need to sit down and do that supplemental part instead of thinking about it and whining to myself about it and doing something else instead. But I don't even know where to begin!

And. Did you make that schedule yourself or is that how the school gave it to you? Hello, color coordination!

I just need to sit down and do that supplemental part instead of thinking about it and whining to myself about it and doing something else instead. But I don't even know where to begin!

And. Did you make that schedule yourself or is that how the school gave it to you? Hello, color coordination!

I made the schedule :love: We got a list that looked like:

8/22/2012 8:00 AM 8:50 AM Veterinary Preventive Medicine 1:
Introduction to Epidemiology and
Population Systems
Introduction to Epidemiology -
Populations and People
8/22/2012 9:00 AM 9:50 AM Clinical Pathology - VME I
Hematopoiesis and course
introduction

Etc, etc. Only took me all day. Haha. I love excel!!!!

I made the schedule :love: We got a list that looked like:

8/22/2012 8:00 AM 8:50 AM Veterinary Preventive Medicine 1:
Introduction to Epidemiology and
Population Systems
Introduction to Epidemiology -
Populations and People
8/22/2012 9:00 AM 9:50 AM Clinical Pathology - VME I
Hematopoiesis and course
introduction

Etc, etc. Only took me all day. Haha. I love excel!!!!

Haha. I love the colors slash I totally hope this can be me nerding it out this time next year.

Haha. I love the colors slash I totally hope this can be me nerding it out this time next year.

I give you :luck::luck::luck:! When you come to interview (notice how I said when??), we need to meet up!

I give you :luck::luck::luck:! When you come to interview (notice how I said when??), we need to meet up!

Yayyyy!!! Positive thinking!

Hope we can have a big SDN OSU interview meet-up because everyone gets interviews!

(Insert Oprah gif here. And you get an interview! And you get one! And you! And one for you!)

Hope we can have a big SDN OSU interview meet-up because everyone gets interviews!

(Insert Oprah gif here. And you get an interview! And you get one! And you! And one for you!)

I like this post.

Members don't see this ad :)
#1 Don't let NStarz scare you!

#2 Don't BS the animal competencies! They tried to call me out about mine in the first 5 minutes of my interview but I had stories to back mine up - so be prepared!

So, can we not get to the supplemental application until we submit the VMCAS app?

Hey now, I don't think that was so scary! :(

Also, when I said "BS the supplemental," I didn't mean to make stuff up. Definitely make sure you can do what you put down there. I mean to not worry if you don't remember if you clipped toenails on 20 dogs or 30, for example. Of course, if you say you can do something, make sure you can actually do it! Definitely don't lie, but don't stress to the max, either about it. I also didn't stress trying to come up with stuff to put on there. I know last year that some people put vet-related stuff while I didn't (I think the instructions said not to put vet procedures, but I don't remember precisely), so all I had was nail clipping, basic grooming, bathing, obedience training...things like that.

Hey now, I don't think that was so scary! :(

Also, when I said "BS the supplemental," I didn't mean to make stuff up. Definitely make sure you can do what you put down there. I mean to not worry if you don't remember if you clipped toenails on 20 dogs or 30, for example. Of course, if you say you can do something, make sure you can actually do it! Definitely don't lie, but don't stress to the max, either about it. I also didn't stress trying to come up with stuff to put on there. I know last year that some people put vet-related stuff while I didn't (I think the instructions said not to put vet procedures, but I don't remember precisely), so all I had was nail clipping, basic grooming, bathing, obedience training...things like that.

Ok, maybe scary was the wrong term. Maybe just a little overwhelming? Because I even feel a little overwhelmed by it all (and classes haven't even started yet!!)

So, can we not get to the supplemental application until we submit the VMCAS app?

I think you just need to have started your VMCAS app b/c you have to put your VMCAS Number on the supplemental. This is probably to help keep track of things once they are submitted?

:thumbup: I'm up for that. I met a few SDN members last year at my Auburn interview, and it was nice to pair a username with a face. :D

That would be so awesome to have a get together with all the SDN people when you guys come for interviews!

From: http://vet.osu.edu/education/application-checklist:
Supplemental Application - Applicants who designate The Ohio State University on the electronic VMCAS application are required to complete a supplemental application. The supplemental application is due a week after you receive the email link to the application. Please be aware that we will not start sending out the email links until mid to late August so please do not panic if there is a delay. If you send your VMCAS application after September, you will receive the supplemental application email link within two weeks. There are no essay questions on the supplemental application and an applicant should be able to complete the application in a half an hour or less. There is a non-refundable application fee of $60 to be paid electronically, upon submission of the application.

Does this mean that this year's supplemental will be different than last year's? Will that crazy chart not be there for us? Or do they just think it's a lot easier to fill out than it actually is?

The same pages talks about the 80-hour verification sheet not being needed anymore, so I assume it's for this year even though there are no years on the deadlines anywhere...

Isn't there a why vet need question on there? That would be awesome if there weren't any essays. When is this years supplemental supposed to be up anyways?
Edit: Hm maybe if I read your whole link and not just the bolded part... Haha. I've been working on the supplemental so I hope it's not totally different. Didn't realize what I'm doing doesn't actually count.

Last edited:
Isn't there a why vet need question on there? That would be awesome if there weren't any essays. When is this years supplemental supposed to be up anyways?
Edit: Hm maybe if I read your whole link and not just the bolded part... Haha. I've been working on the supplemental so I hope it's not totally different. Didn't realize what I'm doing doesn't actually count.

The supplemental that I've found online is last year's I think. I took a look at it but haven't done too much since there was no entry term available to select. Glad I decided to read their website a little more closely!

I guess we'll just have to wait to find out!

Wow, this makes me want to do a happy dance! I was panicking a little when I first skimmed the app checklist and saw that the supplemental is due ONE WEEK after receiving it, thinking I'd have to quickly write a bunch of essays (not to mention that I'd also be working on supplemental apps for other schools)... high five for a (hopefully) easy supplemental!

So silly question, but I don't want to assume anything and then run myself into trouble later. Ohio requires Algebra and Trig, but I only took calc at a college level. That should be fine, right? Since I had to get through those in high school to get to calculus? I was going to call/email them, but I figure that's a super silly question and someone on here must have been in the same boat.

At my undergrad, everything was rolled into 2 math classes as "Math for Life Science I & II" that all the bio majors took. Because calc is one step up from the requirements you will most likely be ok, but you can always email to make sure. I had to ask about taking a course at a comm. college and they responded to me very quickly!

I would also look at the actual course numbers they have listed (I think they list what the courses are according to OSU's course listing). I had figured, as long as my courses are comparable (or more challenging!) course-wise, then I was probably ok. BUT I would email if you want to be 100% sure (and then you have in writing if there are any problems!)

hi guys.

my sister has applied to OSU but has not received anything for the supplemental. do you know when they are planning on sending it out?

thanks!

hi guys.

my sister has applied to OSU but has not received anything for the supplemental. do you know when they are planning on sending it out?

thanks!

"Supplemental Application - Applicants who designate The Ohio State University on the electronic VMCAS application are required to complete a supplemental application. The supplemental application is due a week after you receive the email link to the application. Please be aware that we will not start sending out the email links until mid to late August so please do not panic if there is a delay. If you send your VMCAS application after September, you will receive the supplemental application email link within two weeks. There are no essay questions on the supplemental application and an applicant should be able to complete the application in a half an hour or less. There is a non-refundable application fee of $60 to be paid electronically, upon submission of the application. "

:) It might be coming soon!

"Supplemental Application - Applicants who designate The Ohio State University on the electronic VMCAS application are required to complete a supplemental application. The supplemental application is due a week after you receive the email link to the application. Please be aware that we will not start sending out the email links until mid to late August so please do not panic if there is a delay. If you send your VMCAS application after September, you will receive the supplemental application email link within two weeks. There are no essay questions on the supplemental application and an applicant should be able to complete the application in a half an hour or less. There is a non-refundable application fee of $60 to be paid electronically, upon submission of the application. "

:) It might be coming soon!

I think they aren't sending them out until after you submit the VMCAS.
Way happy that there are no essays though!!

Hey guys! So I had an interview at OSU last year (didn't get in though :(), and I'm reapplying there this year. I think I read somewhere last year when I applied that if you previously had an interview there, then you are guaranteed one again the following year. Does anybody know if they still do this? I can't seem to find anything on their website about it, unless I skimmed right over it...

Hey guys! So I had an interview at OSU last year (didn't get in though :(), and I'm reapplying there this year. I think I read somewhere last year when I applied that if you previously had an interview there, then you are guaranteed one again the following year. Does anybody know if they still do this? I can't seem to find anything on their website about it, unless I skimmed right over it...

I would highly doubt that because you got an interview last year you are guaranteed one this year. I've never heard of that (and I looked at their site a lot!). The applicant pool changes each year. Did you do the file review? I'd recommend that and then follow up on what they say you were weak in and focus on that :thumbup:.

I would highly doubt that because you got an interview last year you are guaranteed one this year. I've never heard of that (and I looked at their site a lot!). The applicant pool changes each year. Did you do the file review? I'd recommend that and then follow up on what they say you were weak in and focus on that :thumbup:.

Ya I'm not quite sure where I heard that from, especially since I can't imagine just because someone was interviewed one year that they can half-ass an application because they know they'll get an interview again anyway. Unfortunately I didn't do the file review - no excuses for that, I was just being dumb and didn't make time for it. But I really stumbled through the interview, and realized everything I need to brush up on if I get an interview again. So hopefully this year since I have more experience now, I'm more knowledgeable about the profession, and thanks to an awesome senior year my GPA is way up, with any luck I'll be interviewed again and accepted this year :xf:

Just FYI, it's not too late to do a file review! You can even do one over the phone if you can't make the trip to Cbus. (Just be persistent when you call, they keep your past app on file for one year I think.)

If you got an interview, then you made the gpa/gre cut off at least. In your file review they will give you tips on how to improve your ps also! Trust me, it can only help you!!

Just FYI, it's not too late to do a file review! You can even do one over the phone if you can't make the trip to Cbus. (Just be persistent when you call, they keep your past app on file for one year I think.)

If you got an interview, then you made the gpa/gre cut off at least. In your file review they will give you tips on how to improve your ps also! Trust me, it can only help you!!

I dug up my letter, and it says to contact them between February 1 and May 31 for a review. Are you sure I would still be able to call?

I called to request a file review by phone in early July and they told me they were only available until May 31. This surprised me because many schools don't want you contacting them too early...oh well. Just wanted to give you a heads up because I was really surprised when they said "no"

Has anyone gotten the supplemental yet?

Just curious what it's like this year--hopefully not as bad as I've heard about from previous years!

Just curious what it's like this year--hopefully not as bad as I've heard about from previous years!

Supposedly there aren't any essays on it and it isn't supposed to take long at all.

Nope haven't gotten mine yet, I am curious as well :rolleyes:

We have an anatomy quiz tomorrow but I'm just popping in to say good luck to everyone applying! I LOVE OSU.

The website states this: There are no essay questions on the supplemental application and an applicant should be able to complete the application in a half an hour or less.

Last year when I applied, there was a bunch of questions about how many of each species of animal you've worked with, and what you were comfortable doing with them. There was a whole second 1000 character essay to it last year about why you want to go there too, but according to the website they took it out.

How is Ohio with OOS students? I emailed them a few weeks ago, and they said 35% is the interview, and 35% is grades?!?!?!

Any ideas? :confused:

How is Ohio with OOS students? I emailed them a few weeks ago, and they said 35% is the interview, and 35% is grades?!?!?!

Any ideas? :confused:

What are you trying to ask? How many OOS students OSU accepts?

Lol sorry my post wasn't clear. Yeah, I was wondering how man OOS student? I believe I saw 60. I'm just trying to get a feel for how the school looks at OOS student...

Has anyone gotten the supplemental app yet? I know this year they are emailing it to us after our VMCAS is submitted, and I submitted mine Sunday and still haven't gotten the supplemental app. Any ideas on how long it's supposed to take?