Ohio. cGPA: 2.50, MCAT: pending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BkTheG

Reaction score
Hello,
I am a Junior and an Ohio resident concerned about my chances of Med school admission due to my GPA. I am a Biology Major and a Bussiness Minor. I wondered what my chances are of attending a medical school and obtaining an MD. All advice is appreciated. Is it too late due to my currently low stats? If I perform well on the MCAT, will it make a difference? I appreciate your honesty; as I want to be a doctor, I wonder if this is my best career path and what I should focus on to get into a good Med school.

State of residence
Ohio

Ethnicity
South Asian

Undergrad
Ohio- Columbus

Clinical:
In progress (how many hours should I have?)

Non-Clinical exp:
Not sure if working at LabCorp, running drug tests on bodily fluid samples, and interacting with various hospital staff to send the results out to various locations would count as this.

Research:
None yet

Shadowing:
In progress (how many hours are required or should I have?)

Other EC's:
A lot of HS-related certificates and medals for coming 1st statewide for digital design and art-related projects, being part of the robotics team and coming 2nd place in a state-wide competition, being on the dean list for 3+ years, and being part of my school's varsity track and field team. Took leadership courses and had pretty good grades.

Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 6.21.42 PM.png

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please format your request to the WAMC template.

Reactions: 1 users
It would be helpful to format your post to the template mentioned by Mr.Smile.

Do not take the MCAT. Your performance in your coursework suggests you would not do well and even a good score on it would not make up for your low GPA. You would need at least 2 years of good grades going forward (around 60 credits in the sciences). If personal circumstances are affecting you, I advise you to try to take care of those first before returning to school.

Reactions: 3 users
Clinical:
In progress (how many hours should I have?)

Non-Clinical exp:
Not sure if working at LabCorp, running drug tests on bodily fluid samples, and interacting with various hospital staff to send the results out to various locations would count as this.

Research:
None yet
Shadowing:
In progress (how many hours are required or should I have?)
Take your time reading many of the other WAMC posts.

The verified experts here are pretty clear about minimum expected hours (before applying) for shadowing (50-100), non-clinical experience (100-150), and clinical experience (100-150), but understand that minimums make prevent you from being eliminated but will not necessarily make you a desirable applicant. Research is not really as important, but many applicants will have 200-1000 hours banked by the time of application. Most activities should be done in-person now that we are beyond the COVID-19 emergency, and opportunities have become more available.

Clinical lab science can be clinical experience (paid employment).

Non-clinical community service volunteering should consist of activities where you are involved in a position of humility. Examples includes food distribution, shelter work, job placement services, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation. The farther you are from campus, healthcare, and education (tutoring/teaching is a different category), the better. You need at least 150 hours to avoid elimination.

So as such, you lack any non-clinical activities and have too many pending clinical hours, making me believe you have none. (Otherwise you would have reported it proudly.) There is no GPA calculations, and the transcript does not highlight any prerequisites that would prepare you for medical school.

OP: what you also posted is useless. This seems to be an academic summary but not a transcript of courses taken. The concerning thing is your GPA and two probation notations. Your "deans list" seems to be associated with being involved in a "University exploration" course. You need to know how to do your own application GPA calculations (many calculators exist). But the nature of your questions and approach to a WAMC tells me you haven't met your prehealth advising office.

If you want to be a doctor, you need to give us an idea you have the fundamental knowledge on what your expectations are as a prehealth student when it comes to knowing what doctors do. If you always wanted to be a doctor, then you would have done some shadowing and volunteered in a hospital without prompting from a group of internet influencers. You would know what a strong MCAT could do, but you also realize you can't believe in magical thinking that a strong score will wipe away the two probation due to low academic performance completely. If anything, it will raise questions on "what happened, how did you recover?" That's not a bad thing, but you need to be clear you know what you did to turn your ship around.

TL/DR: My opinion -- I'm more concerned about your lack of understanding what it takes to be a desirable medical school applicant due to an apparent lack of clinical activity and a lack of comprehension of the process or what we want to see in medical school applicants. It appears you haven't met with academic advisors or prehealth advisors to be in any position to apply and succeed to get into medical school.

Reactions: 1 users