Ohio Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OhioMD

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you heard anything since turning in your secondary application at NEUCOM or other Ohio Schools (Other than Ohio State which has gotten alot of press on this site). I have not had any indication from NEUCOM that they received my secondary or my letters of reference. Has anyone had further contact from NEUCOM?

Also, anyone else applied or interviewing at the new Cleveland Clinic School?

Good Luck to everyone applying this year!

:clap:

PS - Waiting to hear from schools is no fun sometimes I feel like:

+pissed+

Members don't see this ad.

Hi OhioMD,

I have applied to all of the Ohio schools (save Cleveland Clinic). I have already had an interview at CWRU, and have UC, Wright State and MCO coming up. OSU has given me NOOOOO love.

Neoucom has been an enigma. I have been complete there for over a month. About 2 weeks ago I got a snail mail from them indicating that my application was complete (about 2 weeks after I called them to ask that very question, which was answered in the affirmative). Then, about a week AFTER getting the letter saying my app was complete, i got another THICKER envelope, which I assumed would be an interview invite. it was a viewbook and solicitation to apply.

I was told by the dean of admissions at NEOUCOM that they do not know how many spots will be available until April, and that early decision was the best way to apply there. So, it is possible that we won't hear anything from them for quite some time.

I have no applied to the Cleveland Clinic program. But I did have an interview at CWRU yesterday, and I got the impression that it was not too late to apply to that program. So, if you have applied to CWRU, and are interested in the Cleveland Clinic program, you should call them and ask to have your name added.

PM me if you have any specific questions about any of the Ohio schools or whatever.

Judd

Thanks Judd for the info.

Good luck on your interviews!

I am waiting for the August MCAT scores but hopefully will be asking you what to expect when I interview in the next month or two!

I do have one interview already (Cleveland Clinic) but will feel better when I have a few more to look forward to. I don't want to take anything for granted in the process...

I hope OSU comes to their senses about you soon :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys,

another ohio applicant here. I applied to all the ohio schools as well and the clinic program. I have heard back from neoucom that my app is complete. I have an interview at MCO on oct. 9. but have gotten no feedback from the other schools. I have been complete at cincy for well over a month and complete at wright state for about the same time as well..... I just REALLY want to hear back from OSU though!!!! im here for undergrad, so thats my first choice. but if they are indeed doing the top 40 applicants per month thing, then i prob wont get an interview for a while, if at all. I do however, have interviews lined up for NYMC and Vermont, so I am stoked about that. anyways, good luck to all my fellow ohioans!!! keep ur status updated.

congrats judd, seems like u are having great success.... how did u feel about the case interview? stressful? relaxed? let us know.

-osar

Osar92,

The Case interview was very relaxed. The questions were non-probative (unlike the Rochester interview, which was very inquisitive). My interview was very conversational--not so much questions, but topic prompts. Only one 60 minute interview.

Good luck to everybody.

judd

For everybody's information:

I called Neoucom today and they said that they are not starting to interview direct entry applicants (ie., 4-year regular MD people) until mid-November. So, that explains why nothing has been heard from them yet.

Also, i called OSU and they said that although the numbers so far for interview people have been "quite high", the person would not commit to a number of 35+. And, he also said that that these super high numbers would not last much longer, and that they had not yet filled up thier interview slots through the end of October yet. Slots going forward would be people with somewhat lower numbers.

Good luck everybody.

judd

just bumping to see some more activity. keep us posted on your progress/interviews, etc.

i just get so damn tired of all the threads for texas, cali, and NY, i needed to do something!

thanks

Great Idea Superdevil !!!

:) :)

I did NEOUCOM's Early Decision Program application and was accepted yesterday. They told me that they weren't going to start interviewing non-early decision direct admissions applicants "for a while", whatever (and whenever) that means.

But supposedly, they only admitted 2 early admissions applicants this year, so it looks like the number of direct admission seats will be small this year. :(

Good luck to all,

OldMD

I envy you OldMD. I got really great vibes from the admissions guy late last year (a year early or so). Then in the Spring, when NOTHING had changed except that I had taken and gotten my MCAT scores (10,10,10,Q, which should be OK for Neoucom ED, I would have thought) I got really bad vibes from him.

How were the facilities. They look nice from the outside. Is it true you only spend year one on the Rootstown campus?

judd

Wow, I am really surprised you got bad vibes from him... your sciences are about the same as mine, and your MCAT scores are higher!

But they are big on having a strong science background. As part of my admission, they are requiring me to take one certain class before I can start next fall. That surprised me somewhat, but hey, I got in.

The facilities are quite nice. You spend your entire first year on the Rootstown campus, and during the second year you are on campus 3 days per week. The other two are spent at affiliated hospitals.

Oh, how I am glad that admissions process is over. Goodluck to you, judd.

OldMD

Wow, congrats OldMD on the early acceptance! I'm an Ohio girl myself, although I have 2 years before I'll be going through the admissions cycle. I'm rooting for all my fellow Ohio folks though :)

Hey all,

another update here: I got an interview invite from wright state yesterday!!! the woman on the phone was really nice... im stoked, becuase now this is going to be my first interview chronologically. Ill keep you all posted about how it goes.

l8r

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats OLDMD!!!

Good idea to keep track of interviews and acceptances of the Ohio applicants.

I am interviewing at the Cleveland Clinic and Case Western in October (it finally was official yesterday).

Lets hear more success stories!!

:clap:

Congradulations Osar92. What day will you be at Wright State? I grew up in Centerville (a suburb of Dayton) and really like the area. You'll like it, I hope.

Good luck to you.

I'm an Ohio applicant, applying to all of the Ohio M.D. schools save Case (although I'm applying Cleveland Clinic) and NEOUCOM. I've got interviews in the next few weeks at Wright State and Cincy :cool:

Hey,
I applied to all of the Ohio schools also. I have an interview at Wright State Sept. 30 and an interview with MCO in Oct. Cleveland Clinic sent me an interview invite without finishing my secondary via email??? But I have not heard from them since. I am still waiting to hear from UC and OSU. Any advice for interviews at these schools would be great. Thanks!

gryff,

I PM'ed you. Check your personal area. Thanks

Judd

hey all,

I will be interviewing at wright state on oct 1 and mco on the 9th.... anyone else gonna be there on those same days??

Hi,

I'll be at MCO on the 9th. I'll be the pudgy bald guy.

Judd

congrats everyone! hope those interviews all go well!

I have an interview at Wright State Sept. 30 and an interview with MCO in Oct. Cleveland Clinic sent me an interview invite without finishing my secondary via email??? But I have not heard from them since. I am still waiting to hear from UC and OSU. Any advice for interviews at these schools would be great.

as far as advice for interviews... even though i'll be applying for next year's app cycle, i'm an undergread at wright state, and its a good school (IMO). the only thing that i've heard to help you is if they ask you what type of medicine you'd like to practice, say either primary care or "i don't know." they put a *huge* empahsis on primary care and don't want students who already think they're going to be orthopedic surgeons before they get to med school.

like juddson, i grew up near dayton (miamisburg, actually-directly west of centerville!), and i think that the area and its suburbs (not necessarily dayton, though) have a lot to offer if you're thinking about family life, but maybe not so much if you're a "clubber."

good luck to all

;) .

To all of the Ohio applicants:

I wish you all good luck in the admissions process in the next couple of months, and especially good luck to those of you who are interviewing in the next few weeks! It's really early, so for those of you with interviews that's great, but for those of you who haven't heard, it's exactly that, EARLY, so there's plenty of time to hear.

I'm a first year at Cincinnati, and though we have exams coming up next week so things are getting a little stressful, so far I really like it a lot. So, if any of you have any questions about the admissions cycle for Ohio schools or any questions about UC in general, PM me. I haven't been on this in awhile, but some of the current second years at UC (e.g. TysonCook) helped me a lot last year (my second application cycle), and were very encouraging. So, I want to offer the same kind of support.

Good luck again!

DBD02

Yeah,
I should be studying (as well as Duke), but I still hobnob around these threads looking for wayward people that have Q's about our neck of the woods.

BTW on the interview feedback for UC there are a few people that didn't "see" any wireless internet stuff (which in and of itself is somewhat of a contradiction), but to clarify, UC is all wireless and you can take your notebook anywhere (within reason) and be connected.

Also, UC is going to start construction on their new SOM this winter/spring. So you may have some construction woes if you attend UC.

Keep rocking and I'm off to Pharm.
T

Hey Ohio Applicants! I am ohio applicant myself. This admission process has been a very long process. I am applying to seven schools (maybe I should apply more). Anyways, I have an interview at cincy on 10/6 and at wright state on 10/7. Would anyone like to give me an advice for those interviews? Is anyone going to be there on those time? Good luck everyone!

Joseph

One more thing, has anyone heard from ohio state? I turned in my secondary about a month ago and it is the only school I haven't heard from yet.

Taehong,

I'll be asking you about how your interviews went. I'm going to be at Cinci on October 13, and Wright State on the 14th.

Good luck to you. I hope we all get in everywhere.

Have you heard about interviews at NEOUCOM? Like you, I have been complete at OSU for over a month, and I have not heard from them regarding interviews. Those who have interviews there must be more qualified than either you or I, I guess. But, I have not heard from NEOUCOM about interviews either. NEOUCOM told me on the phone that they will not be doing interviews until November. Did you get one from them already?

Judd

Hey Judd! I didn't apply to neoucom. One note on OSU, when I called there admission office, the lady said that they were selecting interview for people who had gpa of 3.5 and higher and MCAT score of 30 and better. I guess they have lots of applicants who meet that standard, since I haven't heard from them and I also meet that standard.

That is encouraging news. I meet those numbers as well. Why have we not been contacted yet.

Judd

I found out today that I have been accepted at Cincinnati for the class of 2008. I was early decision. I found out by checking the admissions website...it said a letter was mailed today, so I expect that tomorrow. I look forward to hearing from all my future classmates!

Also, Tyson, I was one of the people that commented about the lack of WiFi on the interview feedback page. I made that comment because my student tour guides said they didn't think there was a wireless network on campus. Frankly, I hope they just didn't know what they were talking about. I have an iPaq with integrated WLAN, so hopefully I can use it on campus!!

Congrats Heldicus

It is nice to see success stories!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Congratulations!
They did not know about the WiFi. There are plenty of people that take their notebooks almost everywhere. I also am a part of the new construction process and it is going to be pretty much everywhere by the time you get here. There are a couple of places that it fades out, but by and large it is easy to be connected, and it will increase in the near future.

Congratulations again, I hope that you will attend!

ps - I emailed the asst. deans and asked them to clarify w/the tour guides our wireless capabilites so that this doesn't happen in the future.

I'm a first year student at Wright State and have to comment that my school's preference for applicants with primary care interests may be a bit overstated. In my application it was pretty clear that I was not headed in that direction and I made no effort in the interview to persuade them that I was. Honesty and sincerity and good interpersonal skills are the most important things in the interview. Yes, the majority of my colleagues seem to have an interest in primary care but there is a niche here for everyone. You are what you are and if it doesn't wind up being a match then so be it. Being cagey or calculating in the interview will only work to your disadvantage.

Your interviewers will go through your application in detail. In one of my interviews, he had listed every mediocre grade and gave me a chance to explain them. Nearly all of the questions were insightfully and directed at getting to know the details of my experiences.

My classmates come with a broad variety of cultures, colleges, ages, majors, MCATs and GPAs. The average MCAT and GPA are lower than most other schools, but I can assure you it is not because they are scraping the bottom of the barrel. The admissions committee is clearly looking for more substantial things than multiple choice test taking skills. My interviewers had clearly studied my application and asked me about a lot of the fine details. I understand that the commitee takes a good 15 minutes to discuss each application which may not seem like a lot of time, but if you multiply that by the number of applications, it's a tremendous commitment.

It's true that there seems to be an opperating assumption that most of us are all headed into primary care, but I have no problem with this. I want to get a broad foundation, no matter what I ultimately wind up doing. Wright has a good history of placing people in all specialties and in top programs.

If you have an interest in doing research as a medical student, then Wright would not be a great choice. The opportunities are there, but it's just not their focus.

If you have an interest in primary care, then Wright would be an outstanding choice. They let us work in a volunteer clinic starting in the first few weeks of school where we are an integral part of the health care team. You'll be hard pressed to get more hands on experience at any other school. The two 4th year students that I've talked to said that they personally have delivered over 30 babies during medical school (some with no assistance in the overcrowded inner-city clinic). It's better than standing behind a junior resident who's standing behind a chief who's standing behind an attending.

Regarding osu, I just interviewed there wednesday(9/24). i completed my secondary on 8/11. I got the offer for the interview 8/27. It's a pretty realxed interview. Good luck to you guys.

tojwest,

Can you talk a little bit about the curiculum and the facilities. As I understand it, only the first year or so is spent on the main campus. Is this right? And then 2,3,and 4 years go to "community based clinics" to do rotations. What does that mean. Is a community based facility something like an urgent care clinic, or are rotations at the area hospitals like Miami Valley, Kettering, Daytin Childrens, etc.

Also, in terms of what one wants to practice, you don't think I should be bashful at all about wanting to do something hospital based (like EM or anestheasia). Both of which are kinda internal medicine, but do not consist of a private practice in the suburbs (which I guess is what the school ends up sending a lot of thier people in to.).

Give us the run-down please.

Judd

bumping for a response to juddson's questions about curiculum and facilities.

Just wondering has anyone heard from ohio state yet? If so when did you complete your application?

hey guys,

i was just wondering if case prefers in-state applicants. i applied there as a california resident, and i got an interview. i heard they accept 60% in-state--is that true? thanks and good luck to all!

Yes it is true that Case has to accept certain percentage of ohio residents (I am not too sure about the exact number, i think it is aroudn 50-60 percent).

I just had my cincy and wright state interviews. Both schools were pretty good. The interviews were very laid back and no hard question. At cincy it was just one interview with a faculty member and at wright state I had an interview with medical student and a faculty member. Cincinnati curriculum was mix of lectures and small group. So was wright state. Cincinnati had nice facilities, and I really liked the clinical lab where you get to practice on dummies. Wright State was not bad as I thought it would be. Lots of their lectures are online so that you don't go to class and just learn on your own speed. Overall both schools were pretty good for a state school.

I got an interview invite from OSU immediatly after submitting my secondary - even before they got my letters of recommendation.

Originally posted by juddson
tojwest,

Can you talk a little bit about the curiculum and the facilities. As I understand it, only the first year or so is spent on the main campus. Is this right? And then 2,3,and 4 years go to "community based clinics" to do rotations. What does that mean. Is a community based facility something like an urgent care clinic, or are rotations at the area hospitals like Miami Valley, Kettering, Daytin Childrens, etc.

Also, in terms of what one wants to practice, you don't think I should be bashful at all about wanting to do something hospital based (like EM or anestheasia). Both of which are kinda internal medicine, but do not consist of a private practice in the suburbs (which I guess is what the school ends up sending a lot of thier people in to.).

Give us the run-down please.

Judd

At Wright, we spend the first two years on campus like most schools, but unlike some of the others, we don't take several courses simultaneously, each with their own set of exams. We take one big course each quarter and have two big midterms and a final for it. In Anatomy, tests are about 4 hours long and they are cumulative which may seem torturous, but I think it's good preparation for the boards. This course ends this week (mid October) and then we're on to a course that combines biochem and cell biology. The upside of this is that you can stay focused on a single subject without the distraction of juggling other classes. The downside is that it moves really quickly and if you fall behind or get sick, it's almost impossible to catch up.

Some of our lectures are on-line which is great because you can watch them at school or at home in your underwear while eating a box of donuts (hypthetical of course). At first I thought it was a cop out, but now I really like it because I can pause them any time to go to digest the material or consult other resources. I can also replay parts if I need to. There are Q&A sessions with the professors where we're able discuss the material. There are also team learning sessions with the professors where we take quizes and work on case studies in groups of 5 or 6 students.

Regarding the facilities, the buildings on campus were built in the 70s and aren't particularly fancy, but they function perfectly well. We don't have a hospital on campus, but I fail to see what the benefit of a hospital would be if you're not spending time during the first two years in the wards. It would only make parking harder and more expensive (at Wright it's $70/year for parking in a lot that is 50 yards from the main classroom). In fact, I see a tremendous benefit to having access to a variety of hospitals and clinics. During 3rd & 4th year, we'll have the opportunity to do rural work with country docs and trauma work at Miami Valley which I've been told has the 2nd busiest ER in the midwest behind one in inner-city Detroit. We do rotations in family clinics located in strip malls and we also have a couple of nice suburban hospitals where we'll get to see how the rich people get treated. If you want to see a list of our affiliates they're listed on the Wright web site, although you won't find all of the little clinics.

During the first two years you can do clinical electives and they also have the free clinic called Reachout where you can do as much with the patients as you've been trained to do. It's a great experience and the doctors and staff who volunteer there are first class. I've volunteered once and they had me doing the initial interviews with the patients. It's something you can do in the first week of class if you want to. I loved every minute of it, but felt myself becoming a democrat, so I'll probably want to limit the number of times that I go back

Regarding speciaties, I looked at our match list for the last 5 years. We've averaged about 8 people matching in EM each year and we have a pretty active EM interest group. In 2002 there were 4 who matched in anaesthesia, but there were fewer in the previous 4 years. Not bad for a classes with only 90 people.

Thanks a lot for the info Tojwest.

sounds like Wright State is very similar to an independant study program, much like the one at OSU.

Judd

Hi,

For those who are interested. I just finished my interviews at Cinci and Wright State.

My conclusions are the opposite of Teahong81's. I expected to love UC and kinda write off Wright State. But I was surprised on both fronts. I thought the UC facilities were kinda run down (though the practice room is pretty cool) and I was really turned off by the prospect of losing the library for the coming year a d a half while they put up the new building. No doubt, the new building and the hospitals attached were awe inspiring (they look great), but I was not impressed with the facilities or the curriculum (which nobody seemed to be able to explain adaquately to me).

On the other hand, I expected to hate Wright State and I in fact loved it. I thought the facilities were nicer (all the buildings on wright state are new and modern) and while I thought that not having a hospital attached to the med school would kinda suck, i actually started to get the idea that clinical education at WSU was first rate. You do clinicals from week one (on Fridays) at area hospitals and clinics, and I got the impression that the students get a TON of hands on experience. Plus, during our tour the students looked like they were having a good time--unlike some of the other schools I have been to (MCO for one). The interview day was streamlined and made sense (which goes a long way in how I feel about a school--for better or worse).

In any event, I got into CWRU today and that is my first choice so that is where I am going. But I honestly can say that at this point, Wright State was very nice. And in terms of money - a great place.

Judd

Juddson, I am a first year at MCO and I felt that I should let you know what life is really like here. The first year class is extremely laid back. We do a lot together. For instance, every Friday we play flag football. Many evenings, we go to the local sports bars. Yes, we concentrate on our studies, but we have a good time. Everyone genuinely cares about each other. Post or PM me if you or anyone has any questions.

Has anyone heard anything post interview from Wright State? I was told we would be sent letters around Oct. 15, but so far no news. Just curious:)

I just found out that I got into Cincy! :D
I called wright state and they said that a decision on your file will be made usually 3-4 weeks after you interview.

Congrats Taehong81!!!

That is awesome!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

It is so nice to get hear some good news about Ohio Applicants!

I hope I can add some soon :rolleyes:

Yeah congrats! :D I'll second that!

OhioMD: Did you ever get a word from Case? I just got a letter that says, "On hold. Don't call us, we'll call you ;)"

Good luck everybody!
Sean

Hi Sean2Tall

No I have not received a letter yet.

+pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+

But I am doing fine, can't you tell ;)

I may call again on Friday if I don't get a letter by then, thanks for asking
:D