OH Resident, 3.3 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA, 30S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

broken tibula

mostly sleeping
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First of all do not apply to SGU and secondly can you tell me your GPA for the past 4 semesters?

Really? I've heard good things about SGU (as long as you can stay in). Also, I figured it was probably my only realistic hope, at this point.

My GPA for the last four semesters... Mm... 3.05? That's my 2nd semester freshman year, all sophomore year, and last semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait one year, get high GPA (3.7+) with a full courseload both semesters, retake the MCAT, then apply.

Wait one year, get high GPA (3.7+) with a full courseload both semesters, retake the MCAT, then apply.
I would advice against retaking. The OP, being from OH, could receive love from his IS medical schools. With some grade replacement, he'd easily be competitive for any DO school.

Really? I've heard good things about SGU (as long as you can stay in). Also, I figured it was probably my only realistic hope, at this point.

My GPA for the last four semesters... Mm... 3.05? That's my 2nd semester freshman year, all sophomore year, and last semester.
Definitely do a year of retakes before ever considering a Caribbean school.

Okay well it seems like you don't have an upward trend which is essential for individuals with low GPAs. You're just going to have to take more classes and raise that GPA as close to a 3.5 as you can for MD. You should be a pretty good canditate for DO schools. I have some tips written for individuals with low GPAs in my mdapplicants profile which you should read. I discuss other dimensions of the application which at this point even though important should be secondary to GPA repair.

- junior at prestigious private school, OH resident
- 9/9/12 S MCAT
- 3.3 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA (I average A's and B's with the exception of sophomore year, where I had extenuating circumstances explained below)
- 2 years of research, authored on a published abstract (no paper, just an abstract)
- +300 hrs of volunteering at a rape crisis center
- created and taught a knitting class for two years (my college has a program whereby students can create and teach semester-long classes)
- treasurer for two years, and now drum major of the college marching band
- treasurer of an intramural sport for three years
- involved with misc. other charity events
- working 20-30 hrs/week
- first generation student
- only 20 hours of shadowing, but I'm working on fixing this

The main reason for my low GPA is that in my sophomore year, my younger brother was hospitalized for a very serious blood condition that he has been fighting against ever since. I go to school close to where I'm from, and so I spent much of sophomore year (and the beginning of this year) running back an forth between school and hospital. My parents did not handle my brother's disease very well, so I became instrumental in my brother's care and for the general emotional support of my family. I was also, at the time, dealing with a suicidal best friend.

Long story short, I finally realized that I had to ask for help, and contacted some school administrators this past fall. With their support, I've managed to balance out my brother, my parents, and my schoolwork, and my grades are straightening themselves out.

Here's my list of schools:

Cincinnati
Toledo
Ohio State
Wright-State
Northeastern Ohio
Ohio University (DO)
George Washington
Rosalind Franklin
Miwestern University Chicago (DO)
Tulane
Drexel
Penn State
Wayne State
Michigan State
St. George's
University of Queensland/Ochsner Partnership
Philadelphia College (DO)
NY Institute of Technology (DO)

Reach:

Vermont
Albany
Wake Forest
Temple
New York Medical

Thoughts?
It is premature to apply before you've proven you are capable of consistent excellent academic work (3.7+). Adcomms might forgive a bad semester or two, but that doesn't mean you don't have to redeem them first and prove your capability.

What was your GPA last semester after your grades started "straightening themselves out?" And how does this semester look to go?