"oh no! not one of those threads again!"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmj2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a new member of SDN and everyone's post has been so helpful that i decided that i should do my job too.

took the dat this morning and everything went well besides the test proctor who was so mean and rude to me.
anyway, i'll just post some of my scores: AA 22 ( i had about 20s across)
PAT 17
suggestions for ppl studying for it now:
bio- pretty much 1 question from each main topic, i had a lot of genetics, no weird taxonomy stuff, no evolution, the questions are random. some of my biochem actually helped :)

chem- for those who are kaplan users, dont freak out if you've been getting 17's, 18s because there isnt as much calculations as expected. lots of pv=nRt; There were quite a few theory questions, but not anything out of the blue

ochem- i seriously do not remember what they asked me, but i didnt get any ortho/para questions, a few sn1, E1 stuff, one on NMR, one on IR,very simple

** i had about 30 mins left when i went through the section, i checked all my answers and i ACTUALLY found several careless mistakes. so ppl, if you have time, go back!!

PAT-- well, my idea is this. from hardest to easiest: acethedat > real DAT> kaplan. i thought i did well, but i guess not. with a score of 17, im guessing i missed about 30 questions. i almost ran out of time, so pace yourself

Reading: 3 passages ( stock market, cancer, and nervous system)
i had two with 20 paragraphs so my suggestion is: first scroll all the way to the bottom of the passage to see how many paragraphs you have, so you can pace yourself. 2nd, read/skim/map 3rd, attack the questions. always mark the ones you arent sure.

QR: i know i could have done better, but the proctor was so slow with giving me scratch paper. make sure you get more before you head on to the math section. thank goodness! i didnt get any probability probs. i didnt even get a 3-4-5 triangle.

so my conclusion is: the test isnt impossible but remember to pace yourself and stay calm. oh yeah, dont forget ear plugs, ear muffs! there will always be that one person who is grunting, or sniffling, or coughing, etc. i actually had ear plugs and ear muffs and i could still hear that guy.
anyway, GOOD LUCK and UNLIKE WHAT KAPLAN'S POSTER SAYS, this is just a test and its not your life!!! ( i wish i could somehow ban that poster, what were they thinking!!)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on your scores and being done with the DAT! Thanks for taking the time to post your scores and insigts on your experience while taking the DAT.

As for me I take my test on Friday. Not to stressed at the moment. I guess I have the mindset that at this point in time either I know the material or I don't, no sense in freaking out about it. If I do poorly then I will just have to change my stategy and take it again. If I do well, I'll throw all of this DAT material in the trash and move on with the next phase of the app. process :D I guess I'll find out either way on Friday, and again congrats!

cmj2 said:
i wish i could somehow ban that poster, what were they thinking!!
Hehe . . . I stopped trusting Kaplan's posters when I saw one plastered all over their walls about a law school prep class. It said, in big bold letters: "You've taken the LSAT . . . now, PREPRARE for Law School." Youch, somebody in their marketing department must have caught a lashing for that editing job!

Seriously though, great job on the DAT. Your scores are solid, and that 22 AA will get you interviews at all kinds of schools.

hey cmj, if you dont mind me asking...how long did you study for and how many hours did u think you put in for the dat prep...thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Amirmoh said:
hey cmj, if you dont mind me asking...how long did you study for and how many hours did u think you put in for the dat prep...thanks

I studied for 2 months; i think i did about 6 hrs of studying. however, nothing really started clicking until 3 weeks ago. its always slower to learn things in the beginning, but things will start making more sense.

tally: i took 12 practice tests in total ( 6 kaplan, 3 topscore, 3 acethedat)
hours: i would guess over 200+ hours ( however, i do think i overstudied for the sciences. dont forget, its not only the science portion that counts for your academic average. everything but the PAT, so if science is not your strength, i would suggest trying to up your reading and math.

i hope this helps

yes I agree with what that poster said about study everything. I focused so much on the science...and made 20's on all three. But the reading comp and QR got me bad, especially QR. So don't take it lightly because it can bring down ur AA. Practice everything in moderation. good luck to you all that are still preparing....

Very good job on the DAT, and I wouldn't worry about that pesky PAT score. Thanks for posting your impressions of the exam as it is of a benefit to others and sharing with us your stellar results. :thumbup: