Official UTHSCSA c/o 2010 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hallo!

I'm an MS0 who's been out of the country for the last five months, so I've just been trying to catch up reading our class thread! I'm not doing too much this summer, just shadowing and what-not, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice about what material would be useful to review before classes start. I'm a little paranoid about being lost in class because I wasn't a science major. Also, do people who already have laptops tend to buy the school ones anyway?
I'm really excited to start med school and I'm still having a hard time believing this is for real!!! I hope everyone is having a great summer so far! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
funny you should mention turning down uthscsa because i think i got your spot! i'm oos and i thought i'd never get off the waitlist! dr. jones called me the other day and offered me the spot. so i'm going to be a texan!

i'm still looking over this thread, but since i'm behind on everything, how do people find roommates? or is there some website?

thanks! and see you guys soon!

hook 'em, i guess?

Members don't see this ad :)
[.

Last edited:
:mad: ARGHHHH!! UTHSCSA is taking more of my money! Forty bucks for a background check. :eek: Can't my mommy just send a note saying that I have been a good boy?

Is anyone participating in the big sib/lil sib program being offered by the class of 2009? I filled out the info sheet and then got the sinking feeling that I would be the lone member of our class interested in it! :oops:

naijaMD said:
Is anyone participating in the big sib/lil sib program being offered by the class of 2009? I filled out the info sheet and then got the sinking feeling that I would be the lone member of our class interested in it! :oops:

I'm not sure if I ever got an info sheet for that. When did you get yours?

I got it through the email the class prez of 2009 sent us. Within the email, he included an additional website that had the information I'm talking about.

Yeah, that's the site. Thanks, Megalin.

Hello

I am an MS0 coming to UTHSCSA from out of state. I am planning to move into my apartment in Carlyle Place this weekend and have a few questions / concerns that I thought some of you alrady living in San Antonio might be able to help me with. First, I have a large, active dog who loves to run, hike, and swim. Does anyone know of a good place that I could take him to get some exercise off leash? Also, does anyone know of a good dog walker that I could hire for the school year? Second, I am interested in hiring someone to help me unload my U-Haul truck this weekend. I just have a few heay items that I cannot manage on my own. Does anyone know where I can get a day laborer to help me unload? Any information or suggestions would be very helpful!
I am so excited to be moving to San Antonio (although I am having a difficult time leaving a place as beautiful as Colorado!) I hope everyone is having a great summer and I cannot wait to meet you next month. Thank you!

Laura

Cooperhikes said:
Hello

I am an MS0 coming to UTHSCSA from out of state. I am planning to move into my apartment in Carlyle Place this weekend and have a few questions / concerns that I thought some of you alrady living in San Antonio might be able to help me with. First, I have a large, active dog who loves to run, hike, and swim. Does anyone know of a good place that I could take him to get some exercise off leash? Also, does anyone know of a good dog walker that I could hire for the school year? Second, I am interested in hiring someone to help me unload my U-Haul truck this weekend. I just have a few heay items that I cannot manage on my own. Does anyone know where I can get a day laborer to help me unload? Any information or suggestions would be very helpful!
I am so excited to be moving to San Antonio (although I am having a difficult time leaving a place as beautiful as Colorado!) I hope everyone is having a great summer and I cannot wait to meet you next month. Thank you!

Laura

One of my friends recently moved down to the area and hired a company called ABC movers. He said the price wasn't too bad for the day. I would just google their number and make a deal with them.

Paul

Everyone congratulate me. I just got my background check results and SURPRISE!!!! I am not a pedophile!!!! What a relief. I hope I don't get anymore pointless expenses in the mail. Oh wait there was something about a viracella titer. . .

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! Count me among the ranks of non-pedophiles also! (It was quite surprising since I am a member of myspace, and apparently its almost a prerequisite)

By the way...were we just supposed to forward our passwords to Miss Murphy, or was there something else we were supposed to do?

Lubbock21 said:
One of my friends recently moved down to the area and hired a company called ABC movers. He said the price wasn't too bad for the day. I would just google their number and make a deal with them.

Paul

Thanks for the suggestion Paul. I am now all moved into my new place and am trying to find my way around this big city.

Renoir said:
Congratulations! Count me among the ranks of non-pedophiles also! (It was quite surprising since I am a member of myspace, and apparently its almost a prerequisite)

By the way...were we just supposed to forward our passwords to Miss Murphy, or was there something else we were supposed to do?

No, I think you just forward the password with your name and maybe SSN so they can access the results. Our class schedule is up now too if anyone is interested. First Test: 9/1/06 :barf:

September's a long time away, i wouldn't worry about that first test just yet!!

adrenalitis said:
No, I think you just forward the password with your name and maybe SSN so they can access the results. Our class schedule is up now too if anyone is interested. First Test: 9/1/06 :barf:

Six weeks of material is a LOT of material...

:scared:

I seemed to have thrown away the recommended specs for laptops that the school sent out. Now that I'm about to look for one seriously, I'm thinking it'd be good to know what was on that. Anyone have a moment to post it for me? Thanks!

And, just wanted to let the Melograno folks know that you guys are getting two more neighbors in building 5! Any advice on electricity/tv/internet providers?

Alright. What do I *really* need in a computer? The specs they give us seem waaay high, and I can't justify spending that kind of money on a laptop unless it's essential. Can someone tell me why I might need so much RAM etc, or if i don't, what I might more realistically need? Also, does the computer store on campus give discounts on pc laptops and macs?

(thank you from this technologically clueless girl)

Happy 4th of July to everyone at UTHSCSA!!!!

cuillezVJ said:
Alright. What do I *really* need in a computer? The specs they give us seem waaay high, and I can't justify spending that kind of money on a laptop unless it's essential. Can someone tell me why I might need so much RAM etc, or if i don't, what I might more realistically need? Also, does the computer store on campus give discounts on pc laptops and macs?

(thank you from this technologically clueless girl)

The school laptops comes with a badass warrantee. Whatever you get, don't forget that you can save your receipt and be reimbursed, half in august half in december, for the full price.

Dr Girlfriend said:
I seemed to have thrown away the recommended specs for laptops that the school sent out. Now that I'm about to look for one seriously, I'm thinking it'd be good to know what was on that. Anyone have a moment to post it for me? Thanks!

And, just wanted to let the Melograno folks know that you guys are getting two more neighbors in building 5! Any advice on electricity/tv/internet providers?

Hello All,
I have the specs for both the macbook pro and dell if you still need it... I can not post it on the forum, but email me and I will forward you a copy... See you all in a few weeks!!!

[email protected]

I have a hold on my record for a Varicella titer that I need. This is the last immunization that I expected to have a problem with seeing as I had a Varicella screening when I worked at a hospital not to mention the chicken pox that I had when I was four. Can anyone tell me the cheapest way to take care of this? It will cost close to $100 to go into my doctor's office and have it drawn and I was wondering if there was a better way to go about it.

Thanks

justy_jfg said:
I have a hold on my record for a Varicella titer that I need. This is the last immunization that I expected to have a problem with seeing as I had a Varicella screening when I worked at a hospital not to mention the chicken pox that I had when I was four. Can anyone tell me the cheapest way to take care of this? It will cost close to $100 to go into my doctor's office and have it drawn and I was wondering if there was a better way to go about it.

Thanks

Ask the dean's office how much it costs to get it done at the UDP on campus.

justy_jfg said:

Thanks

you didnt keep the record of the varicella screening for the hospital? call them up...they may have it on file...then all you need to do is get a copy of it. if not, i think the school offers titers for less than the doctor's office.

vik829 said:
you didnt keep the record of the varicella screening for the hospital? call them up...they may have it on file...then all you need to do is get a copy of it. if not, i think the school offers titers for less than the doctor's office.

No, I have a screening result of positive from the hospital, but the lady at the Student Health Clinic said it had to be an Igg with a numerical result. I think I may end up using the school, I'm just trying to save as much money as possible before financial aid goes through.

justy_jfg said:
No, I have a screening result of positive from the hospital, but the lady at the Student Health Clinic said it had to be an Igg with a numerical result. I think I may end up using the school, I'm just trying to save as much money as possible before financial aid goes through.

sorry...if it makes you feel any better, my form's taking forever to fill out too...first i had to wait for the blood test results...now i'm waiting for the chest x-ray to come back (since my ppd was positive...which i knew already). :oops:

justy_jfg said:

Thanks

If it makes you feel better, looks like we're in the same boat. I've also got a hold on my account for the titer. My doctor's office charges $85. The county health department here recommended LabCorp though. I'm not sure how much it costs there, but it might be worth looking into if there's one near you.

Is anyone else wondering why our loan checks couldn't come soon enough to cover this kind of stuff? Or the school should just take our word that we've already suffered through the chicken pox! :)

And a financial question for all of us with holds: Are our loans being processed now anyway? Or do the holds have to be cleared before we can sign promissory notes to lenders and that kind of thing? School's starting soon and I'm wondering if there's going to be enough time to get my loans dispersed.

Dr Girlfriend said:
If it makes you feel better, looks like we're in the same boat. I've also got a hold on my account for the titer. My doctor's office charges $85. The county health department here recommended LabCorp though. I'm not sure how much it costs there, but it might be worth looking into if there's one near you.

Is anyone else wondering why our loan checks couldn't come soon enough to cover this kind of stuff? Or the school should just take our word that we've already suffered through the chicken pox! :)

And a financial question for all of us with holds: Are our loans being processed now anyway? Or do the holds have to be cleared before we can sign promissory notes to lenders and that kind of thing? School's starting soon and I'm wondering if there's going to be enough time to get my loans dispersed.

i remember them saying something about the check being mailed 3 (or 7?)days before school begins at welcome weekend. (so they said prepare some money in case you dont receive it in the mail by the time school starts)

i started a facebook group for "UTHSCSA Class f 2010" for us. (sorry i forgot the "o" in "of" but it won't let me edit it =(

it's a global group, so people from any network can join =)

vik829 said:
i remember them saying something about the check being mailed 3 (or 7?)days before school begins at welcome weekend. (so they said prepare some money in case you dont receive it in the mail by the time school starts)

Right, but is that assuming there is no hold on the account? I'm concerned that the loan-getting process has been stopped because of the hold.

Ok, twilight zone moment..... I just checked my holds on the inside.uthscsa.edu and it now says that I have no holds. Is this happening to anyone else?

justy_jfg said:
Ok, twilight zone moment..... I just checked my holds on the inside.uthscsa.edu and it now says that I have no holds. Is this happening to anyone else?

Yes--I talked to someone in the Financial Aid office yesterday, and she said that b/c so may first-year students were having problems with the immunization holds, the school took all the holds off until orientation.

On another note, we should be receiving our financial aid/loans before school starts....you might want to call either the Bursar's office or Financial Aid office for more detailed information.

Hi AD. :)

We start classes on Monday. Never thought that I'd say this, but I'm ready to go back. :thumbup:

EvoDevo said:
Hi AD. :)

We start classes on Monday. Never thought that I'd say this, but I'm ready to go back. :thumbup:

Yah, me too....sorta. It's a mixed feeling of excitement and sheer terror of working myself to death (again). Weird huh? I just have to keep in mind that this year will only count for ~10% of my entire application to residency programs.

AsianDoc816 said:
Yah, me too....sorta. It's a mixed feeling of excitement and sheer terror of working myself to death (again). Weird huh? I just have to keep in mind that this year will only count for ~10% of my entire application to residency programs.

I'll be there to chill you out AD :D

AsianDoc816 said:
Yep. :) You're going to be great. I'm totally pulling for you. Let me know if you need any help...though I think TXGuy probably has you covered, no?

EvoDevo said:
Yep. :) You're going to be great. I'm totally pulling for you. Let me know if you need any help...though I think TXGuy probably has you covered, no?

I barely have myself covered lol. See you in class tomorrow....can't believe we start so early!! :scared: Don't they know July just started??

AsianDoc816 said:

You're gonna do great....don't forget you have alot of friends right across from your lecture hall.....we'll be seeing ya on the 10 minute break b/w classes :oops:

-tx

Many thanx to Evo, txguy, and Megalin!

To all you first-years out there--see how much LOVE you can get from the medical family at UTHSCSA? Glad to be coming back after a year of soul-searching....it's gonna be a long, tough road, but we all WILL get there eventually....

Oh, and txguy--you, of all people, need to chill out. It's okay if you make a 90 intstead of a 99.

So, this is a totally legitimate request. :)

Are there any guys who are going to be in the area Thursday afternoon who would like to help me unload my UHaul trailor in exchange for dinner or 50 bucks or something? All I've got is a queen mattress, 27" tv, tv stand, bed frame still in original boxes, and a few rubbermaid containers full of clothes to move up to the second floor. It's really not that much stuff and definitely not a problem for two guys, but it's just me and my dad this weekend. I just couldn't warrant spending $125+ for 30 minutes of work, especially when my dad told me not to hire anyone cause wants to do it himself.

Just throwing that out there! Thanks!

Dr Girlfriend said:

Are there any guys who are going to be in the area Thursday afternoon who would like to help me unload my UHaul trailor in exchange for dinner or 50 bucks or something? All I've got is a queen mattress, 27" tv, tv stand, bed frame still in original boxes, and a few rubbermaid containers full of clothes to move up to the second floor. It's really not that much stuff and definitely not a problem for two guys, but it's just me and my dad this weekend. I just couldn't warrant spending $125+ for 30 minutes of work, especially when my dad told me not to hire anyone cause wants to do it himself.

I know one but he doesn't have internet right now - I'll ask him! :)

Dr Girlfriend said:

He said sure - I'll PM you his #.

txguy said:
I barely have myself covered lol. See you in class tomorrow....can't believe we start so early!! :scared: Don't they know July just started??
No kidding! It's hard to concentrate this week...although doing the H&P today helped focus me. :oops:

txguy to Asian Doc said:
You're gonna do great....don't forget you have alot of friends right across from your lecture hall.....we'll be seeing ya on the 10 minute break b/w classes :oops:

-tx
Absolutely! When do y'all actually start classes, AD and Megalin?

EvoDevo said:
txguy said:
No kidding! It's hard to concentrate this week...although doing the H&P today helped focus me. :oops:

Absolutely! When do y'all actually start classes, AD and Megalin?

July 31....I can't believe it's almost here. A year's worth of relaxation, contemplation, and calmed nerves all comes down to this. :scared:

Has anyone moved into the Melograno yet? If so, what company are you using for your internet and phone services?

Thanks!

SteelBlue said:
Has anyone moved into the Melograno yet? If so, what company are you using for your internet and phone services?

Thanks!

Try Time Warner....I think they've still got some good summer specials going on. Hope this helps.

--AD

AsianDoc816 said:
Try Time Warner....I think they've still got some good summer specials going on. Hope this helps.

--AD

i'm at melograno and i signed up with time warner today. very good deal...all three (internet, phone, cable tv) services for $89.95 plus tax...then add whatever you want to it (like i added DVR (like tivo)) for $5 a month.

i called around and checked earthlink, directTV, dish network....they werent as good as time warner.

vik829 said:
i'm at melograno and i signed up with time warner today. very good deal...all three (internet, phone, cable tv) services for $89.95 plus tax...then add whatever you want to it (like i added DVR (like tivo)) for $5 a month.

i called around and checked earthlink, directTV, dish network....they werent as good as time warner.

forgot to add...free installation/set-up and no contracts needed.

hope this helps!
victoria

vik829 said:

Good call on the DVR. I know a few people who Tivo/DVR everything (hint, hint: txguy). I think these devices are lifesavers in medical school....especially if you're a Grey's Anatomy/OC freak like me (but don't have time to watch them during the week).