Official: University Of Minnesota - Twin Cities Entering Class Of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlaskaGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious to see if there are any other SDNers out there that plan on attending the U of M in the fall. I thought it might be nice to try and make some connections with the incoming class prior to starting up in August. I guess it is better to start early than never. Also, I currently live in the Twin Cities, so if anyone is planning on moving out here I would be more than willing to answer any questions you might have about the area!

Members don't see this ad.

If I can get one of the scholarships for which I applied I will certainly be coming to the U. If I don't get one of the scholarships, I might come anyways. If so, it would be a great homecoming for me and I'd be delighted to get to know you before the fall.

k-monger said:
If I can get one of the scholarships for which I applied I will certainly be coming to the U. If I don't get one of the scholarships, I might come anyways. If so, it would be a great homecoming for me and I'd be delighted to get to know you before the fall.

Where else are you looking at? I have been having the hardest time deciding between Twin Cities and Duluth, but finally decided on the TC. I live in Minneapolis now and really can't justify moving to Duluth for two years only to return to TC for my rotations. Plus I really liked the idea of gettting Anatomy out of the way first thing!

Members don't see this ad :)
AlaskaGirl said:
Where else are you looking at? I have been having the hardest time deciding between Twin Cities and Duluth, but finally decided on the TC. I live in Minneapolis now and really can't justify moving to Duluth for two years only to return to TC for my rotations. Plus I really liked the idea of gettting Anatomy out of the way first thing!

Well, I'm deciding between UofM-TC, Loyola, Creighton, and I'm on the waitlist at WashU. The U is a great program but not at its prime. So, I'd be willing to pay a little more to go to Loyola or WashU. However, if I score a scholarship at the U, then I wouldn't be able to justify paying so much more for Loyola or WashU. Just out of curiousity, what really attracts you to the U?

Also, I agree, I would find it hard to move to Duluth and then turn around and move right back. I would rather just get settled in at the TC campus and concentrate on the work at hand.

k-monger said:
Well, I'm deciding between UofM-TC, Loyola, Creighton, and I'm on the waitlist at WashU. The U is a great program but not at its prime. So, I'd be willing to pay a little more to go to Loyola or WashU. However, if I score a scholarship at the U, then I wouldn't be able to justify paying so much more for Loyola or WashU. Just out of curiousity, what really attracts you to the U?

Also, I agree, I would find it hard to move to Duluth and then turn around and move right back. I would rather just get settled in at the TC campus and concentrate on the work at hand.

I have heard of all the U's downfalls as of late, but for some reason I was really impressed with the staff, especially the SNMA chapter they have there. I do like the set-up for classes, i.e. the getting anatomy out of the way, and feel that I have already established myself in the community here. It is making it harder to move. Also, unlike you, I really don't have as many MD options to choose from. It would have been the U, Duluth, or a DO program. And, as an out-of-state student the fact that they gave me in-state tuition was a huge deciding factor.

AlaskaGirl said:
I have heard of all the U's downfalls as of late, but for some reason I was really impressed with the staff, especially the SNMA chapter they have there. I do like the set-up for classes, i.e. the getting anatomy out of the way, and feel that I have already established myself in the community here. It is making it harder to move. Also, unlike you, I really don't have as many MD options to choose from. It would have been the U, Duluth, or a DO program. And, as an out-of-state student the fact that they gave me in-state tuition was a huge deciding factor.

Hey AlaskaGirl, Congratulations on getting in-state tuition. I interviewed with them mid/late March and really liked their program. I am still awaiting their decision. When did you interview & how (phone call/ email) and when did they let you know that you have been accepted?

Dr.Quiet said:
Hey AlaskaGirl, Congratulations on getting in-state tuition. I interviewed with them mid/late March and really liked their program. I am still awaiting their decision. When did you interview & how (phone call/ email) and when did they let you know that you have been accepted?

I interviewed there on March 4th and just heard back from them early this week. Basically, I got a call from the Dean of the medical school to congratulate me on earning acceptance to the program. She then said that I would get a packet in the mail the following week. From what I have heard, if you are accepted you will hear from Dr. Becker, but if you are waitlisted or denied you just get the letter in the mail. So, I would say it took them about 3 weeks to process/review my app and decide to accept me. I wish you the best of luck! You should let me know what you hear! :luck:

Although I did not apply to the U, I just want to send a congratulations to those who got in. I was born and raised in Dinkey Town (the area around the U's campus), and I absoutely loved my childhood--much in part to the school's history and atmosphere.

The U is a great school and I'm happy for those who have the chance to go there. The professors are amazing in their fields and dedicated to teaching (which is unheard of from many schools). The area aroudn the school is thriving with diversity, and although it gets cold in teh winters, the summers are absolutely amazing!

All my family is still in Minneapolis and I miss them deeply. Who knows, I might try and do my residency at the U. If you have any questions about the area, culture of Minneapolis-St. Paul, let me know!

Thanks, Alaskagirl, for the info. Based on your information, I think I should expect to hear from them in a week - 10 days. I will certainly let you know when I hear from them.

I interviewed at the U about 2 weeks ago and I really liked it. I'm still waiting to hear back, but hopefully I'll be coming. I've also been accepted at penn state and ohio state, so I'm too stuck. Most people think I'm crazy for wanting to go there (cold) - I'm from PA, but I can't wait to hear. Good luck to all.

my u of mn interview isn't until next week :( does anyone know if they're interviewing for the waitlist at this point?

~transplanted minnesotan in long island

shirleses said:
my u of mn interview isn't until next week :( does anyone know if they're interviewing for the waitlist at this point?

~transplanted minnesotan in long island

I honestly thought that when I was interviewing there in early March that they might be interviewing for the waitlist, but that wasn't the case. And, while I was there, I talked to several students who said they interviewed late in the "season" and received outright acceptances. The U is notoriously slow, as I have heard most state schools are, at processing your info...so maybe that is just why it is so late in the game. My file was complete in early December with them and I didn't get an interview offer until March! Best of luck in the whole process and your interview!!

AlaskaGirl said:
I honestly thought that when I was interviewing there in early March that they might be interviewing for the waitlist, but that wasn't the case. And, while I was there, I talked to several students who said they interviewed late in the "season" and received outright acceptances. The U is notoriously slow, as I have heard most state schools are, at processing your info...so maybe that is just why it is so late in the game. My file was complete in early December with them and I didn't get an interview offer until March! Best of luck in the whole process and your interview!!

Hi AlaskaGirl - I live in Anchorage and will be going to Mayo, just down the road from you, I am really excited! Are you originally from AK?

Members don't see this ad :)
AlaskaGirl said:
I interviewed there on March 4th and just heard back from them early this week. Basically, I got a call from the Dean of the medical school to congratulate me on earning acceptance to the program. She then said that I would get a packet in the mail the following week. From what I have heard, if you are accepted you will hear from Dr. Becker, but if you are waitlisted or denied you just get the letter in the mail. So, I would say it took them about 3 weeks to process/review my app and decide to accept me. I wish you the best of luck! You should let me know what you hear! :luck:

Just FYI, but I didn't get a call for my acceptance at the U, maybe I missed it but I just got a letter in the mail. Also . . . the U seems to be rather random about their decisions, a person who interviewed the same day as me heard back 4 weeks sooner than me . . . hmmm. Anyway, congrats on everyone who got accepted!! :thumbup: :thumbup: Depending on how things work out, I may be seeing you all in the fall! :)

Thought I would chime in as another out of stater that will be relocating to attend the U in the coming months. I interviewed in January and got a call from Dr. Becker a couple of weeks later.

For anyone with a little more knowledge of Minneapolis are there any popular suburbs among medical students. I know quite a few live in Uptown but might like to consider some other areas as well.

AlaskaGirl said:
My file was complete in early December with them and I didn't get an interview offer until March! Best of luck in the whole process and your interview!!

Are you an in-state applicant? So you heard in early March and then interviewed March 4th? How did you get ready so fast?

I am an oos applicant, interviewed the end of February and have still heard nothing. Their post-interview process is a little fuzzy to me- does anyone know if both of your initial reviewers agree to accept you, do you hear back right away, or does your file still return to committee for final approval? I'm thinking maybe there was dissention among my reviewers, which might explain the delay?

Cheerfulgrrl said:
Hi AlaskaGirl - I live in Anchorage and will be going to Mayo, just down the road from you, I am really excited! Are you originally from AK?

I grew up on Kodiak Island and then Palmer...so yes, I am an Alaska girl through and through! :)

daf2112 said:
Thought I would chime in as another out of stater that will be relocating to attend the U in the coming months. I interviewed in January and got a call from Dr. Becker a couple of weeks later.

For anyone with a little more knowledge of Minneapolis are there any popular suburbs among medical students. I know quite a few live in Uptown but might like to consider some other areas as well.
Uptown is a super fun place to live...there's also the campus/dinkytown area...there's Loring park, in between downtown and uptown...I can't think of any suburbs that I know are particularly popular with students but Roseville is a really short, easy drive from Campus, NE Minneapolis and south Mpls are like suburbs..

Liz

nona1 said:
Are you an in-state applicant? So you heard in early March and then interviewed March 4th? How did you get ready so fast?

I am an oos applicant, interviewed the end of February and have still heard nothing. Their post-interview process is a little fuzzy to me- does anyone know if both of your initial reviewers agree to accept you, do you hear back right away, or does your file still return to committee for final approval? I'm thinking maybe there was dissention among my reviewers, which might explain the delay?

From what I remember, both of your reviewers give you a score once your interview essay has been posted to your file. If both scores are higher than 92 (or something like that), it is an automatic acceptance. If there is disagreement between the interviewers, your case is presented to the committee and each one votes...

I think the times to hear vary so much because it depends on the schedule of the interviewers and the reviewers...

As far as hearing back from the committee, I agree with Paragozardelsol. Your interviewer will write a report and a lot of the timing depends on how long they take to write it. The report then is added to the file and goes on to two reviewers. If they both give it a thumbs up it is an automatic acceptance. If there is a disagreement it goes to the committee that only meets once a week and only gets through 10-12 applicants at a time. So I think that is where the backlog occurs. At that point the committee decides on acceptance, rejection, or waitlist status and you are either called (if accepted) or get the letter in the mail. I know they only call for acceptances and send everything else out. Hope that helps! And congrats to everyone else who was accepted at the U!!! I hope to see you in August.

nona1 said:

I interviewed over six weeks ago and have not heard jack. I am an in-state applicant and am rapidly losing interest in the school. I have above average numbers, interviewed at several 'top' schools, and had a reasonably good interview at the U, aside from the fact that my interviewer was 78 and an amnesiac (he asked me several questions more than once, and the same question sequentially in one instance). I am not sure if he was incapable of conveying his sentiments to the admissions committee, if he forgot that he interviewed me, or if something more sinister is in the works. I know someone who had less than stellar numbers (31/3.4) and was accepted two weeks post-interview (although this was quite early in the admissions process), so I am not particularly optomistic at this point. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear.

I think Dr. Becker mentioned (although this could be at a different school I interviewed at) that two members of the admissions committee review your application initially. If they both accept you, then it may take less time to get an acceptance (admissions committee members are more prone to accept you). If only one accepts and the other doesn't "reject" I think it takes longer to hear back because your file may be placed in review longer.

Sorry to hear it is taking a while for you to hear. I was surprised that I heard back so quickly. They said it could take up to 8 weeks to hear back at the time of the interview.

paintsites said:
I think Dr. Becker mentioned (although this could be at a different school I interviewed at) that two members of the admissions committee review your application initially. If they both accept you, then it may take less time to get an acceptance (admissions committee members are more prone to accept you). If only one accepts and the other doesn't "reject" I think it takes longer to hear back because your file may be placed in review longer.

Sorry to hear it is taking a while for you to hear. I was surprised that I heard back so quickly. They said it could take up to 8 weeks to hear back at the time of the interview.

Good to hear some more people that will be joining me next year! Where are you coming from? Do you live in the cities now?

For anyone with a little more knowledge of Minneapolis are there any popular suburbs among medical students. I know quite a few live in Uptown but might like to consider some other areas as well.[/QUOTE]

I live in NE Minneapolis and I love it !!! You are so close to so many things. It takes me 10 minutes to get to work (I work at the Med school), it takes me 5 minutes to get Downtown Minneapolis (...and "downtown NE" has a life and culture all its own) It takes about 10-15 minutest to get to Uptown Area (famous for Lakes Calhoun, Harriet, Lake of the Isles) and Downtown St. Paul is about 15 minutes away to the east. In my opinion, NE is the way to go. There is plenty of inexpensive rental property or, if you're so inclined, there is plenty of reasonable real estate.

Dinkytown, though it is in the heart of the U of M campus, will be a little more of a younger, undergrad crowd. Uptown/South Minneapolis will be a little spendier and Downtown will be outrageously expensive.

Please take this for what it is worth. I grew up in the Twin Cities and have lived a few different places over the years. I have found that where I live now is perfectly convenient for all that my life entails at this time. :)

Best of Luck to you at the U. Hopefully, I will see you there in a year! :luck:

DrDarwin said:
I interviewed over six weeks ago and have not heard jack. I am an in-state applicant and am rapidly losing interest in the school. I have above average numbers, interviewed at several 'top' schools, and had a reasonably good interview at the U, aside from the fact that my interviewer was 78 and an amnesiac (he asked me several questions more than once, and the same question sequentially in one instance). I am not sure if he was incapable of conveying his sentiments to the admissions committee, if he forgot that he interviewed me, or if something more sinister is in the works. I know someone who had less than stellar numbers (31/3.4) and was accepted two weeks post-interview (although this was quite early in the admissions process), so I am not particularly optomistic at this point. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear.
Hello DrDarwin, It sucks to wait that long. But I clearly remember Dr. Becker mentioning that all the interviewers are required to turn in their report within 72 hours. She also mentioned that if they don't receive the report in the stipulated time they contact the interviewer to ask them to turn the report in. So I am guessing that interviewers are less likely hold up the decision process. My understanding is that the complete application is then sent to two members of the admission committee (presumably the same two members who voted to grant you an interview) for review. My suspicision is that the time these two guys take to come up with a decision is going to be the rate determining step. I guess we would be struck if one or both of them happen to be lazy or busy. Obviously if one doesn't get an outright acceptance from these two members it will difinetely slow the process since the whole committee has to vote. In any case, I hope you will hear good news from them soon.

EM&M:
Are you attending the U in the fall or do you work there currently? Just curious if you would be a med student with the rest of us in the fall!

I have pretty much narrowed my choices down to two at this point: UMN-TC and UWisconsin. I'm bringing my spouse and kids out first week of May to visit both, because although we're from Eau Claire, Wisconsin, neither of us is all that familiar with Minneapolis and Madison. Any suggestions of what to do in the 2-3 days we are in the Twin Cities? (other than visit the school, of course!)

AlaskaGirl said:
EM&M:
Are you attending the U in the fall or do you work there currently? Just curious if you would be a med student with the rest of us in the fall!

No, I am applying next June for entry into the August 2007 class, so I will be a first year when all of you are beginning third year. I do research in the Hematology/Oncology and Transplant department which is located on the 14th floor of the med school. I was undecided for quite awhile as to what I was going to do (grad school or med school) but after working with so many M.D's in the lab, I have decided that medicine is what I was meant to do. That aside, I suppose that there is still a chance that I won't end up at the U but with my obvious allegience to the institution (doing research here) and a ton of shadowing and volunteering experience (which is what Dr. Becker said would be weighted very heavily... along with my research) I feel that I will make a good addition to this school!

Shew! Didn't think that you were going to open up that can of worms did ya?

You guys should all be very proud of yourselves for getting into med school and the U is a great place to go. There are about a million opportunities to find your niche in medicine and many, many highly accomplished people in academic medicine who will be able to direct you (I know many personally) and help you successfully begin your careers.

Best of Luck to Everybody. Enjoy your time here. I love it and I am not even in school yet! :D

liverotcod said:
I have pretty much narrowed my choices down to two at this point: UMN-TC and UWisconsin. I'm bringing my spouse and kids out first week of May to visit both, because although we're from Eau Claire, Wisconsin, neither of us is all that familiar with Minneapolis and Madison. Any suggestions of what to do in the 2-3 days we are in the Twin Cities? (other than visit the school, of course!)

Take the kids to the Science Museum, the Children's Museum, go for a walk and play at Lake Calhoun/Lake Harriet. Go the the Mall of America and visit Camp Snoopy (the indoor amusement park if you're not familiar) There's also the underground aquarium there too... The Minnesota Twins are playing in May and usually they have weekend games and super cheap tickets for families (the whole fam for under $20) The Walker Art Center is neat if the kids are old enough to appreciate... Fort Snelling is really fun for kids and in May it will be nice enough to just walk around both Downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul. If you fish, and you're coming after Opener, there are about 9000 good places to fish and BBQ in the area as well.

How old are your kids? I have a 7-year old so I am well versed in kid-friendly activities. I would be happy to give you specific advice if you would like it. Although, if you are only going to be here for a couple of days, you will probably be able to find enough to do to keep you busy!

Have Fun!

Em. :)

I will be attending the University of MN-TC medical school in the fall. I had my interview in mid March and found out two weeks later. I was suprised to hear back so quickly. Good luck to all those who are still waiting to hear!

Okay, so my current roommate situation for the fall just fell through due to the untimely engagement of one of my roommates...that and the fact that I no longer want to live with the other one....

So, if there is anyone out there who will be attending the U in August and is looking for a place and maybe wants a roommate that is a fellow med student please let me know! I am mainly looking for someone to share the bills and what-not, who actually knows what it means to study instead of the partiers I live with now.

I currently live in Minneapolis in a duplex...basically a three bedroom, but might be moving out of that if the one roommate wants to stay. I currently live in the Uptown area, but would definitely be interested in moving more towards the U to prevent having to bus in there everyday. However, I really have no desire to live in Undergrad Central right near Dinkytown.

Anyways, if there are one or two of you fellow SDNers out there that are in my situation please feel free to either post or send me a message...guys or girls, I can live with either!

Thanks!!!

DrDarwin said:

Don't get your hopes up, I am was an instate applicant too and didn't hear back from the U until 7 weeks after my interview (with good news). If I know the U correctly (I did undergrad there), they always to do stuff like this and everything is pretty much random. Anyway, good luck with your app and hope that you hear good news soon! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Sabrinne said:
Don't get your hopes up, I am was an instate applicant too and didn't hear back from the U until 7 weeks after my interview (with good news). If I know the U correctly (I did undergrad there), they always to do stuff like this and everything is pretty much random. Anyway, good luck with your app and hope that you hear good news soon! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Thanks. I am not sure if I would choose the U over other schools, but I know several people who are MS-1s (who all love it), I would prefer to be in a city, and I like the area. In any case, I would like to have the option of attending the U and the possibility of paying non-private-school tuition. The biggest drawback is probably that 99% of graduates do U of M residencies, which isn't bad, but is not exactly indicative of a wealth of residency options.

DrDarwin said:
Thanks. I am not sure if I would choose the U over other schools, but I know several people who are MS-1s (who all love it), I would prefer to be in a city, and I like the area. In any case, I would like to have the option of attending the U and the possibility of paying non-private-school tuition. The biggest drawback is probably that 99% of graduates do U of M residencies, which isn't bad, but is not exactly indicative of a wealth of residency options.

I know what you mean, currently I'm trying to decide between the U and Case. I like both schools a lot but the in-state tuition plus scholarships would be pretty hard to turn down. Also I am very tempted to do residency in Minneapolis, since its such a great city to live in and a wonderful place to raise a family. But I would have to agree that the U doesn't have much variety in terms of matching. Anway, luck with your decisions. :)

DrDarwin said:
The biggest drawback is probably that 99% of graduates do U of M residencies, which isn't bad, but is not exactly indicative of a wealth of residency options.
Do you know if HCMC Emergency Medicine takes a lot of U of M graduates?

...I can maybe answer my own question: on their webiste, it looks like 5 of 11 entering residents are U of M graduates. But I don't know if this is consistently true.

Hey, is anyone attending the U's second look weekend next Friday? Do you think these are worthwhile? Any input welcome! Thanks...

I came cross this really interesting article regarding some diastrous decisions (like the sale of the University Hospital to Fairview) taken by the administration that led to a rapid decline of the University of Minnesota School of Medicine. I think it is a must read for anyone conisidering to go there. I am also curious to know if you guys think the medical school is going to regain it's lost glory in the near future (particularly by 2009).

http://www.aaup.org/publications/Academe/1999/99nd/ND99Mill.htm

AlaskaGirl said:
Hey, is anyone attending the U's second look weekend next Friday? Do you think these are worthwhile? Any input welcome! Thanks...

I think I'm going to attend. It would be nice to learn a little more about the school and interact with the students, attend classes, etc. Plus I live close so it's not a big deal as far as traveling is concerned. Anyone else think it would be worthwhile?

Anybody here interview with Dr. Steven Miles? Care to fill me in on what he's like? thanks!

Liz

MNDOC31 said:
I think I'm going to attend. It would be nice to learn a little more about the school and interact with the students, attend classes, etc. Plus I live close so it's not a big deal as far as traveling is concerned. Anyone else think it would be worthwhile?

I live in Minneapolis as well and will be there on Friday. My parents are putting pressure on me to make a good decision between the U and Duluth so I figure this will keep them off my back...you know, educated decision-making and all that. :) But I am definitely attending TC next year. Hopefully I will see you there!

Finally accepted...eight weeks post-interview :thumbup:. It's definitely good to be in somewhere after receiving four WLs. Are most people here set on the U?

Everyone who is going to 2nd Look tomorrow - hope you all have a lot of fun!!

Here's an interesting article on the U during the 80's and 90's.
Restructuring of the UofM Medical School
I'm rooting for the U to recover its prestige--first, because I love the motherland (MN) and, second, because I'm still considering attending the U in the fall.

DrDarwin said:
Finally accepted...eight weeks post-interview :thumbup:. It's definitely good to be in somewhere after receiving four WLs. Are most people here set on the U?

Yes, I am definitely set on going there in the fall...especially after second-look on Friday. It is just a great environment with so many options for things to get involved in!

I'm taking the plunge and committing to the U a whole 2 weeks before the May 15 deadline. I'm more than pumped to start in August. I'm looking forward to meeting you all; I can't wait to start this journey with you all.

ps. If any of you like Sally's, Burrito Loco, the Gophers, and Ben and Jerry's, then we'll get along just swell.

k-monger said:
I'm taking the plunge and committing to the U a whole 2 weeks before the May 15 deadline. I'm more than pumped to start in August. I'm looking forward to meeting you all; I can't wait to start this journey with you all.

ps. If any of you like Sally's, Burrito Loco, the Gophers, and Ben and Jerry's, then we'll get along just swell.

I think we won't have a problem getting along! I am sure everyone, well almost everyone, will love Sally's. That is where we head when we are done with all of our anatomy exams! Where are you moving from or are you already in the Twin Cities?

the U is so random, people in my interview group heard at different times. I was waitlisted, but someone else in my group with my mcat score was rejected post interview. So obviously they are waiting until may 15th to do something with me...the question, more waitlist, or an acceptance. I did send Dr. Becker a letter, and she didnt give me any info I didnt already know. I hope they are not as slow with the waitlist as they were with everything else. If anyone has some inside info on the process that would be great. It should be interesting trying to find a place with such little time, y'all will have to help me once I get off!