Official University of Chicago class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
frostynorthwind said:
Ha ha. I signed up for the class as well--the topic certainly sounds intriguing. I'm planning on moving up around July 20th because like you, I need some time to explore Chicago and learn my way around using public transit. It's funny, though, because I have over a dozen friends who are planning on visiting me before classes start in September, so I guess I don't have long to learn my way around, then!

I signed up for the class, too. And I am still deciding when to move. I'd love to go early and get to know the city, but I have to work this summer so I can afford furniture...or at least a bed...so it depends on the kind of employment I get.

Oh, and Ben--thanks for the offer to stay with you. I might take you up on it, but ironically, I AM very very allergic to cats (my eyes literally swell shut)...so I might try to find an alternative host anyway. Thank you very much for the offer, though!

Members don't see this ad.

for those of us who are going to be there early, we should meet up this summer and maybe we can go explore the city together :)

hahaha D, I am too deadly allergic to cats

frost, along with begging on the street, I also plan on getting a temporary job before classes start.... if anyone knows of anything good, please let me know! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone thinking about having a roommate?

I'm kinda torn. I like living alone, but a quick look in my wallet tells me a roommate is probably the way to go.

Coupla questions for Ben or anyone else:

Do you need a car for years 3 & 4? What are car insurance rates like? I have a car and am debating on whether I should keep it or sell it.

hey guys,
i love looking through your posts! i felt the exact same enthusiasm for starting my U of C experience this time last year. i'm excited to meet you all next year at orientation week (or earlier if we happen to run into each other before then.) a couple comments:

1. you should be getting a mailing at some point in the near-ish future from Tay and Karen, your o-week chairs from my class. we're all going to working on planning an amazing o-week experience for your class. they would be good people to contact if you are going to be in town this summer apartment-hunting and need a place to stay. i'd offer my place but i'm headed off right after classes end to do various traveling things (italy for fun, then bolivia - i'm working at a clinic in the amazon jungle!) if you need help finding a place to stay before then, pm me and i'll see who i can put you in touch with.

2. leases can start anytime throughout the summer, usually at the beginning of every month. there's a lot of turnover in hyde park apartments through the summer, so you can easily find a place at any point. i came august 1, although moving in earlier and enjoying chicago during the summer is a great idea.

3. at some point here your class will get info about an online forum-type place to hook up with potential roommates and living situations.

4. it's possible to do 3rd and 4th years without a car, although it might limit your options for which hospitals you can be at. i'm not the expert on this one. i would say: if you're going to live in hyde park, you'll find that having a car is very nice. getting downtown is easy from hyde park on public trans, but getting to the north side takes more effort.

congrats to everyone who got scholarship money!

phenylalanine said:
frost, along with begging on the street, I also plan on getting a temporary job before classes start.... if anyone knows of anything good, please let me know! :)

hmm, that's actually a good idea...do you think somebody would hire us for a month? i always thought it would be cool to move to nyc for a year and be a bartender and just have fun in the city...maybe i'll just change it to a month and chicago

DNM503 said:
hmm, that's actually a good idea...do you think somebody would hire us for a month? i always thought it would be cool to move to nyc for a year and be a bartender and just have fun in the city...maybe i'll just change it to a month and chicago

I am sure we can find something in the service industry for temporary employment

phenylalanine said:
for those of us who are going to be there early, we should meet up this summer and maybe we can go explore the city together :)

hahaha D, I am too deadly allergic to cats

Sounds like a great idea to me!

Good luck to all on finding temporary jobs up in Chicago this summer. A few months ago, I intended to do the same, but I think I'll be lazy and take advantage of the last free summer I will likely see in a long time. After working year-round during undergrad in a lab, I'm excited to have some time off from anything academic/work related--albeit only a few months.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know of any opportunities to perform in a classical/chamber music-type of setting in Hyde Park? I have found a few community ensembles in Lincoln Park and Evanston, but I haven't found anything in Hyde Park...

MollyMalone said:
Is anyone thinking about having a roommate?

I'm kinda torn. I like living alone, but a quick look in my wallet tells me a roommate is probably the way to go.

Coupla questions for Ben or anyone else:

Do you need a car for years 3 & 4? What are car insurance rates like? I have a car and am debating on whether I should keep it or sell it.

I am wondering the same things. I really want to live alone, although I never have in the past. I admittedly am kind of hard to live with (compulsive neat freak, etc.) and I feel like the stress of med school on top of my many quirks just would be a lot to handle. I don't plan on having a car--at least for my first year, so I figure I can budget some of the transportation money towards my room/board budget. Most of the Hyde Park studios I've looked at (online) are about 700-900 per month. I'd like to live in a building with other med students though, so if anyone knows where they'll be living, please let us know!

frostynorthwind said:
Sounds like a great idea to me!

Good luck to all on finding temporary jobs up in Chicago this summer. A few months ago, I intended to do the same, but I think I'll be lazy and take advantage of the last free summer I will likely see in a long time. After working year-round during undergrad in a lab, I'm excited to have some time off from anything academic/work related--albeit only a few months.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know of any opportunities to perform in a classical/chamber music-type of setting in Hyde Park? I have found a few community ensembles in Lincoln Park and Evanston, but I haven't found anything in Hyde Park...

What do you play?

DNM503 said:
I am wondering the same things. I really want to live alone, although I never have in the past. I admittedly am kind of hard to live with (compulsive neat freak, etc.) and I feel like the stress of med school on top of my many quirks just would be a lot to handle. I don't plan on having a car--at least for my first year, so I figure I can budget some of the transportation money towards my room/board budget. Most of the Hyde Park studios I've looked at (online) are about 700-900 per month. I'd like to live in a building with other med students though, so if anyone knows where they'll be living, please let us know!

700-900 is not bad at all! I was told that they budget us $800 a month just for rent. I say if you can live by yourself, definitely do it! you will be stressed out and busy and if you can eliminate one thing to worry about, I say definitely do it.

I would prefer to have a roommate, assuming that we both have our own bedrooms and bathrooms. I have a roommate now, and I don't particularly care for her personally, but man, I sure do love the girl to death on the first of the month. I estimate that I've saved about six thousand dollars over the past few years because of her.

Members don't see this ad :)
DNM503 said:

Ha ha ha. For a minute, there, I thought I was reading my own post. :) I'm certain that I would be a difficult roommate for many of the same reasons you listed. In the past, I have probably saved around 3 or 4 thousand dollars a year by sharing an apartment with roommates, but I would willingly pay that throughout med school if it would spare me a lot of the stress I have dealt with in previous years concerning roommate issues...

To answer your question, DNM, I'm a bassoonist. :D

Yeah, I'm basically terrified of having a bad roommate experience. I haven't experienced one since way back in college, but it was awful. And my sister's had some doozies in the intervening time that keeps it all fresh to mind.

Still, I'm definitely going to consider it. I'm just going to be reaaaaaally picky. :D

I know Regents Park is a popular spot to live, but probably out of my price range. I too would love to hear about any other buildings frequented by the Pritzker crowd.

regents park is really nice! I talked to an attending at Duke who went to U of C for undergrad, med school, residency, fellowship.. she had lived in regents since med school. it is nice, safe, and convenient. she said it is totally worth the extra few bucks, esp if you are a female and living by yourself.

phenylalanine said:
regents park is really nice! I talked to an attending at Duke who went to U of C for undergrad, med school, residency, fellowship.. she had lived in regents since med school. it is nice, safe, and convenient. she said it is totally worth the extra few bucks, esp if you are a female and living by yourself.

I've talked to them...they have special deals for Pritzker students. Studio is 900/mo...which is still at the way upper end of what I am willing to pay, but it's about a 100-200 dollar discount from their normal price. Also, EVERYTHING is apparently included (except parking)...from gas to heat to electricity to cable to internet, so that is definitely something to think about. I'm pretty sure parking is pretty expensive if you have a car though.

DNM503 said:
I've talked to them...they have special deals for Pritzker students. Studio is 900/mo...which is still at the way upper end of what I am willing to pay, but it's about a 100-200 dollar discount from their normal price. Also, EVERYTHING is apparently included (except parking)...from gas to heat to electricity to cable to internet, so that is definitely something to think about. I'm pretty sure parking is pretty expensive if you have a car though.

Wow - if cable + internet is included that's pretty cool. The parking is $140/mo. per their website. :eek: I thought it was bad here in Madison where I was paying $80/mo. for a while.

Do you know if the Internet is cable? DSL? Gasp... dial-up?

It seems like a great building, but it also seems much more affordable with a roommate. The two bed/two baths list at $1400, and if they give a discount off that for Pritzkerites, then whoo, even better!

Gah. I know I should just be patient but I want to move on with my life NOW! Do not pass go, do not collect $200, do not attend class for the last three weeks of this semester... just GO!

MollyMalone said:
Yeah, I'm basically terrified of having a bad roommate experience. I haven't experienced one since way back in college, but it was awful. And my sister's had some doozies in the intervening time that keeps it all fresh to mind.

Still, I'm definitely going to consider it. I'm just going to be reaaaaaally picky. :D

I know Regents Park is a popular spot to live, but probably out of my price range. I too would love to hear about any other buildings frequented by the Pritzker crowd.
I've had a lot of roommates, some better than others, and I find that it's gotten better, not worse, as I (and my roommates!) have gotten older. In other words, when you're both 18-year-old punk kids who think the world revolves around you, that's bound to lead to some problems....after all, there is only one world, so it can't revolve around you both. :smuggrin: Like I said, the roommate that I have now is not a friend of mine, and I will never see her again after I finish getting out of here next week. But she pays her bills on time and she is reasonably clean and respectful of my stuff, which is really all I need from her as a roommate. She is a grad student like I am, so she is pretty responsible. Likewise, I think if you are rooming with another med student then it will be fine. It also helps to discuss your expectations ahead of time. For example, if you guys are such clean freaks that you can't tolerate some dirty dishes in the sink even for a few hours, you should make that known up front. Hopefully both people will be mature enough to find some compromise that works for both of you.

For the record, I am not a clean freak, although I'm pretty fanatical about not leaving food out because we have such a major bug problem here in Florida.

3rd year if you really wanna know what med school is about ...

GS

Gumshoe said:

GS

What do you want to tell us? Did you enjoy it? Was it incredibly hard? We don't know much so tell us what you've got lol.

Gumshoe said:

GS

How are the faculty during clinical years in terms of attitude/approach/interest in teaching students?

Sorry to bug everybody, but I'm trying to scout out a couple schools to apply to next fall. Did any of you receive Pritzker's Dean's Promise Scholarships? If so, they told you at the time of your acceptance, right? Also, would any of you who received one please give me some stats for reference? Do OOS applicants have an equal chance at them? I'm not assuming at all that I would even be worthy of one, but I'm trying to get a sense of financial aid/scholarships at some schools. Thanks so much for all your help!

I don't think you can go into it thinking about scholarships and finances like that. For instance even if you don't get the dean's scholarship, pritzker does give out alot of aid based on need and merit after you turn in your finances.

tennisguy896 said:
Sorry to bug everybody, but I'm trying to scout out a couple schools to apply to next fall. Did any of you receive Pritzker's Dean's Promise Scholarships? If so, they told you at the time of your acceptance, right? Also, would any of you who received one please give me some stats for reference? Do OOS applicants have an equal chance at them? I'm not assuming at all that I would even be worthy of one, but I'm trying to get a sense of financial aid/scholarships at some schools. Thanks so much for all your help!
Yes, they tell you about the scholarship when you get accepted. They definitely do give them to people who are from OOS; I am from FL. Knowing my stats will almost certainly not help you in the slightest, because I have a pretty unusual academic background. But FWIW, I scored 43 on the MCAT and I basically have no UG GPA at all. Seriously. My college was entirely P/F with no grades, credit hours, or GPAs awarded, and AMCAS therefore did not calculate a GPA for any of my coursework there, including all of the pre-reqs. I do have about a semester's worth of credit hours that I got from studying abroad and being dual-enrolled in HS; my GPA for those credits was a 3.7. My grad GPAs are 3.5 for my MS, and 4.0 for my PhD.

My impression is that the school is very research-oriented, so if you want to have a career as a physician scientist (either as an MD or as an MD/PhD), I would definitely let them know that. Also, get an MSAR when they come out next month; the info in there is very helpful. Good luck with your apps this summer. :)

well obviously pritzker!
they seem to have amazing clinical exposure and the atmosphere is very cooperative

DNM503 said:
How are the faculty during clinical years in terms of attitude/approach/interest in teaching students?

the thing that stinks about this question is that the answer is the dreaded physician answer: "it depends"

Clearly there are some excellent to outstanding individuals who go out of their way for students. There also have to be equally as many or more who don't care that much, to be honest. But you'd expect that.

The 3rd year is a rough year. It's an endurance thing where people move from one clerkship to another, only to have to begin over again. Then possibly you have the chance of being someone who isn't "as lucky" as other students are: there are attendings who give honors without thinking twice and others who won't give higher than pass for no good reason at all. It makes it all random, because the sample size (read: ~16 attendings all year) isn't that big. On top of this even if you get good clinical evals, if you don't do well on the shelves (which can be bears) then your final "clerkship" grade will at the end reflect your test taking ability. At least they have written comments.

Well, it's all about getting through. You learn a lot, no doubt. P=MD, but if you're going for specialty stuff that's competitive, it can be frustrating not getting high marks due to idiosyncratic attendings ...

GS

ps- still LOTS of great connections at Pritzker for many fields. enjoy, guys
any more questions, pm me

Gumshoe said:
the thing that stinks about this question is that the answer is the dreaded physician answer: "it depends"

Clearly there are some excellent to outstanding individuals who go out of their way for students. There also have to be equally as many or more who don't care that much, to be honest. But you'd expect that.

The 3rd year is a rough year. It's an endurance thing where people move from one clerkship to another, only to have to begin over again. Then possibly you have the chance of being someone who isn't "as lucky" as other students are: there are attendings who give honors without thinking twice and others who won't give higher than pass for no good reason at all. It makes it all random, because the sample size (read: ~16 attendings all year) isn't that big. On top of this even if you get good clinical evals, if you don't do well on the shelves (which can be bears) then your final "clerkship" grade will at the end reflect your test taking ability. At least they have written comments.

Well, it's all about getting through. You learn a lot, no doubt. P=MD, but if you're going for specialty stuff that's competitive, it can be frustrating not getting high marks due to idiosyncratic attendings ...

GS

ps- still LOTS of great connections at Pritzker for many fields. enjoy, guys
any more questions, pm me

what are "the shelves"?

"shelf" exams - 100 questions you have to take in 2 hours that are former step 2 questions, supposedly. tough (long arse stems that waste your time)

it seems that one of the things that Pritzker touts is the fact that it is at the University of Chicago. do Pritzker students really get a chance to interact with students at the other schools?

elion said:
it seems that one of the things that Pritzker touts is the fact that it is at the University of Chicago. do Pritzker students really get a chance to interact with students at the other schools?

Sure. Aside from the ability to take any undergrad class you want and be able to interact with undergrad peeps that way, you can also take pretty much any grad class you want, such as in the law school or business school, and a handful of people do that every year. There are also periodic all-grad-student parties and smaller Pritzker-law or Pritzker-business mixers that encourage meeting other people on campus. There's also things like grad speed dating and I think there's a date auction or something similar that's open to grad students. Finally, there are a ton of clubs through the University that are open to anyone, which greatly increases the opportunity to get involved beyond those that Pritzker has to offer.

To be honest, I really didn't understand why it was such a big deal to be on the same campus as the undergrad school when I was applying, but it seriously makes a big difference in opening up basically any activity you want to pursue and makes you feel way less isolated than you might being stuck on a medicine-only campus.

Hello everyone! I have attempted to read this long thread, and found some really good information. I still have questions though.

I am wailisted at Pritzker, but want to be prepared to make a decision if I happen to get that phone call! (No more tortured, drawn out decision making)

I am not sure how their waitlist works.

I was really impressed by the interview day- the 3 interviews (not that I like interviews, but I like that they put the effort into getting to know you), the great hospitals-gym- and undergrad campus that are right there, the prestige of the school. For such a great school, it really seems to me they value more than just good scores which makes for a better group of classmates- and I am all about that!

I wasn't impressed by the intensity my host said the school had. I know its P/F but I heard that they report percentags to residencies. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of P/F? The area- such a great/clean school in such a dirty/suburb area. and also the fact that it is freakin cold there. But my decision between DC/NY/and Chic give me no choice but to freeze my butt off anyways.

Can someone clarify the abroad medical program that they offer in the summer (I though that its put on by the students, and its funded by fundraising that is done all year)

Are the classes curved at all? I mean, is it straight P/F based on % or is there some sort of averaging going on?

What do you think about the quality of teaching? Is all that class time worth it?

Also, were any waitlister's invited to the revisit days? (Just tryin to see where I stand in the waitlist)

Thanks for the help!

No rankings and no curves. The only time you're graded is during 3rd year when it's honors/high pass/pass/conditional pass/fail, and I believe those grades are only reported to residency programs but don't show up on your transcript as anything other than pass or fail. Everything else is straight P/F with set passing grades and zero internal ranking relative to fellow students.

Class time is definitely worth it for the most part, although there are some who just aren't lecture people and do just fine reading on their own outside of lecture with the resources we have online. I'd say about 95% of our professors are practicing MDs or MD/PhDs over the first two years, so there is always some relevance to clinical medicine (even though it doesn't always seem like it!).

As far as I know, waitlistees are not invited to revisits, but you're more than welcome to come by on your own to attend some classes and check out the campus.

The summer abroad thing you mentioned is a group at Pritzker called Remedy, and they spend most of the school year putting on fundraisers and other events to fund themselves to go on a medical mission each summer. They used to go to Cuba but last year they did Peru and this year I think they're going to the Dominican Republic. Basically they just identify a clinic to work at and with the help of a local physician procure some medical supplies to deliver to assist the clinic; most then stay and work at the clinic for a number of days to weeks. Some also arrange to conduct their summer research from that site as well and participate in the summer research program remotely.

I'm back! :laugh:

The re-visit day was awesome and the dinner before with the med students was a ton of fun. It was at a little restaraunt near the school with bowling lanes and guess what? WE BOWLED! Hell yes! I actually even got a good score and won my first bowling game. Ben, nice bowling by you as well....your one-arm spin move that most boys love to try seemed to work well enough :D

Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know that I really did A LOT of driving/walking around Chicago and Hyde Park and there are A LOT of places to rent and own. I don't think any of us will have trouble finding a place to live. If you want to start looking online like me, the tips I got from profs. and students was.....1) If you want to live in Hyde Park, don't go past 47th or 61st. Stay inbetween, the area stays nicer and there are more students; 2) The closer you get to the school, the more expensive the place usually is; 3) There is a nice apt./condo complex near the school called The Cloisters (on Dorchester) that is highly recommended; 4) The Regents came up a lot but mostly that everyone said parking was hell; 5) There are tons of condos being built in the south loop/loop area so no worries if you are looking there. I have been finding 1 bdrm. condos near Millenium Park and Michigan for reasonable rates since so much is going up.

On fin. aid........1) The package you have now is the WORSE it gets. Your package can only get better as the years go on; 2) If you get married and you have a scholarship, they DO NOT take away scholarship money from you. So just because your life changes, your fin aid. doesn't have to!; 3) They are awesome at finding you aid so keep them up to speed on your life and plans.

K, that is what I thought would be most helpful. I DID find a Pritzker sweatshirt (no hood :( ) and shirt at the bookstore but I definitely had to ask/dig. The students said, like Ben mentioned earlier, that we'll get a chance to buy a grip of stuff through the AMSA clothing sale this summer and at O-week and that we'll get info. on that in the mail. YAY! I'm so glad that some of you are finally on the "going-for-sure" bandwagon. We rule! I signed up for that early course too so see you guys there! Have a great weekend :)

MollyMalone said:
Would you guys recommend having a laptop? How important do you think it would be?

I definitely would recommend it. I personally bring mine with me every day to take occasional notes in class, and it's EXTREMELY helpful for second-year during pathology and CPP labs to have a laptop since most of the info is online. Studying on campus is a lot easier too since basically the whole university is blanketed with wireless (but what isn't these days??). That said, if you prefer to study at home all the time, wouldn't take notes on a laptop during class, and basically aren't obsessed with your computer, a desktop would do just fine.

Also, for anyone planning to buy a computer, there are no compatibility issues with OS. Obviously more people are going to have PCs, but there are about 30 of us in my class with Macs and as far as I know no one's ever had problems.

Also, I am the best bowler in history. I was just trying not to embarrass you, Kerry. I SAID IT!

hey gang!! I am such a dork, I am actually typing this msg at midway airport. haha anyways, I just finished my whirlwind apartment hunting trip ( by the way, for those who is contemplating staying in the international house overnight.... just remember, it is a dorm afterall) . anyways, so I just love university of chicago and the neighborhood.. for those who are feeling bad about buying u of c attire, well I just spent 75 dollars on a few shirts and a hat yesterday. not only many many apartments are there, but many many types of apartments are there, so do not worry about housing. I was hoping I would see some of the walkups (they are just more charming in my opinion), but for those, it is better to wait until the summer to start looking as most of them become avaliable. if anyone has any question in housing, metra, jackson express 6 train, neighborhood (borders! oh my gosh I can't live w/o one), please feel free to pm me.

phenylalanine said:
hey gang!! I am such a dork, I am actually typing this msg at midway airport. haha anyways, I just finished my whirlwind apartment hunting trip ( by the way, for those who is contemplating staying in the international house overnight.... just remember, it is a dorm afterall) . anyways, so I just love university of chicago and the neighborhood.. for those who are feeling bad about buying u of c attire, well I just spent 75 dollars on a few shirts and a hat yesterday. not only many many apartments are there, but many many types of apartments are there, so do not worry about housing. I was hoping I would see some of the walkups (they are just more charming in my opinion), but for those, it is better to wait until the summer to start looking as most of them become avaliable. if anyone has any question in housing, metra, jackson express 6 train, neighborhood (borders! oh my gosh I can't live w/o one), please feel free to pm me.

Awesome! Have a good flight!

frostynorthwind said:
To answer your question, DNM, I'm a bassoonist. :D

I "used" to play the flute (and was actually pretty good), but it sort of dwindled out in college...if you find anything that's not a huge time committment, let me know, I kind of miss it!

Speaking of non-medical activities--any runners out there? I really want to train/run the Chicago half marathon NEXT year. My doctor says I am not allowed to this year b/c of tendonitis in my stupid foot that doesn't seem to want to heal (I haven't run in over a month :-(...two more weeks hopefully...). Anyway, I am slow (~9:30-10 min/mile), but love it anyway! Anybody else thinking of running a half marathon/marathon during med school?

nosugrefneb said:
Also, I am the best bowler in history. I was just trying not to embarrass you, Kerry. I SAID IT!

WHATEVER! I got 2 strikes in a row, crazy split-action and even ponied-up a 7-10 split. You may know more med school stuff than me but I am a bowler fo' real son.

To the rest of you, practice your bowling so you can help me take on Ben in the fall.

DNM503 said:
That is so cool! I want to live there too!

I think I might run past there when I'm down for the revisit this weekend if I have time.

ETA: I mean "run" in an entirely non-marathon sense. :) Not that I have anything against marathons, per se, it's just that if I tried to run one at present I would die and that is really incompatible with my future plans.

MollyMalone said:
I've always wanted to live in a castle...

http://chicago.craigslist.org/apa/152929626.html

:)

sounds like a cool place, but 49th and drexel is in the kenwood neighborhood. nice mansions there, but i wouldn't call that location "close" to campus, transportation, or shopping. not too many students live there, and the free university buses don't go there. but you would be a few blocks from louis farrakhan (sic).

sanford_w/o_son said:
sounds like a cool place, but 49th and drexel is in the kenwood neighborhood. nice mansions there, but i wouldn't call that location "close" to campus, transportation, or shopping. not too many students live there, and the free university buses don't go there. but you would be a few blocks from louis farrakhan (sic).

:laugh: Yeah, when I checked it out on Google Maps it was a fair bit away.

But, come on, it looks like a castle! I've wanted to live in a turret since I was like three years old! I'll get me one of those pointy hats with the gauze fluttering off the top, a wand with a glitter star at the end, a big flouncy satin dress, and I'll be happy for the rest of my life knowing that I have fulfilled a little girl's dream.

MollyMalone said:
:laugh: Yeah, when I checked it out on Google Maps it was a fair bit away.

But, come on, it looks like a castle! I've wanted to live in a turret since I was like three years old! I'll get me one of those pointy hats with the gauze fluttering off the top, a wand with a glitter star at the end, a big flouncy satin dress, and I'll be happy for the rest of my life knowing that I have fulfilled a little girl's dream.

Aesthetics is of prime importance in raising my shallow happiness quotient. I can walk if it means I get to play pretty pretty princess when I go home from medical school! Molly--we can go glitter wand shopping together!

MollyMalone said:
I think I might run past there when I'm down for the revisit this weekend if I have time.

ETA: I mean "run" in an entirely non-marathon sense. :) Not that I have anything against marathons, per se, it's just that if I tried to run one at present I would die and that is really incompatible with my future plans.

Did you know that the first guy to run a "Marathon" (26.2 miles from Marathon to Athens in Greece to deliver a message about the end of some war) dropped dead when he got there?

I just learned that today, ironically.

DNM503 said:
Did you know that the first guy to run a "Marathon" (26.2 miles from Marathon to Athens in Greece to deliver a message about the end of some war) dropped dead when he got there?

I just learned that today, ironically.
I did know that. I have run two marathons, neither of which was Chicago. But Chicago is supposed to be a very good marathon. Maybe we can form a med school team. :idea: I have to tell you though that I am very out of shape at the moment compared to my marathon running days....

On a completely different note, I just got an email from my student host, and she and I have the same last name. The hosting coordinator was hoping that maybe we are related, but I don't think we are. :p