Official University of Arizona Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
gooder, I wonder if i met you yesterday, as I pretty much talked to everybody with a red dot on their nametag :) And since we all introduced ourselves, we at least got a good look at everybody there. Any hints as to who you were? I remember a few defining things about people at intro's... the girl who taught biology for teach for america, someone who introduced their "proud parents" and "whole family" :) It's all quite the mystery!a sort of who's who on SND :) I was actually all set to meet up with one SDN-er yesterday but they didn't come!

I wore a blue shirt :-D i'm sure that's incredibly helpful. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

hey bbq,

hmm blue shirt, was it bluish/teal? I remember meeting a bunch of people in the lobby at the beginning. I had a white shirt and khakis on, not too descriptive I know, sorry. Um, let's see, what else. I asked a few questions after the presentations. :)

#####################################################################################################################################################################################################################

Members don't see this ad :)
omgwtfbbq? said:
oh , and i'm right there with you when it comes to the CUP program. I had no idea that we'd actually be able to do things like give vaccinations and really get patient experience. I can't wait :)

me too, it sounds really cool :cool:

Hi !

I went to the Dean's program too, but I didn't have time to chat with any class of 2010 pple. I was a little late, cuz I couldn't find the Duval Auditorium!
You'd think I knew where I was going considering I went there for 4 1/2 yrs!

I was the second to last one to introduce myself.... way in the back....
I saw a lot of pple that I knew in the MS1 class, it was weird.. but kinda cool.

I personally am still a little weary about the upcoming 3rd and 4th yrs though.

I was there, too. And omgwtfbbq, from your description I think you might have been sitting right behind me! I'm the glutton for punishment who graduated from U of A in 2004 then again in 2005. I was wearing... crud, I don't remember... whatever I had on for work that day. :)

I agree with all of you that CUP sounds like the most awesome program at the U of A. I'm really excited to have a chance to be involved and make a difference during medical school. It's great that they leave time in the schedule to make that possible.

I was also there last Friday! It's funny because I think from your description omgwtfbbq, I was sitting right behind you :laugh: I am the one from San Diego. I was also very excited to get more info on the new curriculum, it definitely alleviated most of my concerns of being the first class to experience it. The CUP program does sound amazing...it is great that we get clinical exposure from day 1! I'm excited to meet all of you again in the fall! Maybe we should try to organize a pre-orientation get together?? :)

kurlyq said:
...I'm excited to meet all of you again in the fall! Maybe we should try to organize a pre-orientation get together?? :)

That would be fun. Count me in!

I would like to go on a pre-orientation get together!

hey,
what are your guys' living situations?
Does anyone plan on living in apts?

I was planning on living alone, but I'm open to having a roommate to get a nicer place w/ less cost!

PM me if anyone's interested!
(Also, I used to live in Tucson so I know the area)

Hey guys, I was waitlisted. I was wondering if any of you guys know if a lot of people are giving up their spots.

Al1, i'm trying to get a house, and a couple of roommates, if you or anyone else may be interested, let me know! As long as you don't have parakeets as pets, we're golden :) i had a bad childhood experience with a parakeet......

As for the question about people dropping their spots. I don't know how well the waitlist at U of A moves. I know a lot of people are split on the curriculum. some people LOVE it (like me) others don't seem to like the idea of guinea pigs, so i have a feeling it'll probably have some movement. A lot of people seemed to have multiple acceptances. I can only vouch for one spot (mine) and i'm definitely going to go. but i think theres definitely going to be some movement. good luck :)

does it say on the email where you are on the list? usually from what i have heard (10-15people maybe) get in through the waitlist. I had a ta last year who got in through the waitlist but every year the range of people giving up is slightly different. Anyone else know anything??

hey asu, if you don't mind can you post or pm me your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there,

Does anyone think I have any chance of getting in as I hold spot 48 out of 52 on the waitlist?? Do you know how it works? I am guessing with 3 rounds of acceptances some people have already declined or were those spots already filled? Also, with the new curriculum maybe more people will not take their spot???!!! Last year I know two people one holding like spot 31ish and one about spot 37ish and the 31 did not get in and 37 did.

Thanks!

My stats are a 32P (11v, 10p, 11B) 3.6 GPA. EC's: Usualu stuff w/a little research. Hope that helps. I don't think the UoA really cares about stats, but I could be wrong.

Yeah it says where I am on the list. I will just say that I have a really good chance of getting in.

I was wondering, how did a person with number 31 not get in, but number 37 get in. That does not make any sense to me, since I thought they just go down the list.

Does anyone think I have any chance of getting in as I hold spot 48 out of 52 on the waitlist?? Do you know how it works? I am guessing with 3 rounds of acceptances some people have already declined or were those spots already filled? Also, with the new curriculum maybe more people will not take their spot???!!! Last year I know two people one holding like spot 31ish and one about spot 37ish and the 31 did not get in and 37 did.

The waiting list is ranked, and they accept off the list in numerical order. Number 31 wouldn't be arbitrarily skipped in favor of number 37.

The class was filled by March 15th. This means that if any accepted students had already declined by then, their spots were re-filled before the waiting list was compiled. Movement on the waiting list will come from students who decline acceptances after the waiting list was compiled.

The amount of movement on the list varies from year to year. Usually being #1-20 gives you a pretty safe bet at getting in (although obviously there's no guarantee). A few years ago they actually accepted all the way out to #48.

Considering some people's queasiness about the new curriculum, I agree with whoever said they're expecting the list to move a lot this year.

Anyway, Good luck :luck:

I am not sure about the new curricumlum, but what the previous post had to say about the waiting list sounds right from what I have heard from others thanks

A good friend of mine, who really wants to go to the UoA, told me he was number 40. He is a little worried, because he called and they told him that they accepted 39 last year. So, do you guys think he has a good chance (I am looking for a guess, obviously, no one knows) and how do we find out what number they are up to? Do they post it? If we have to call, when would you recommend to call them (I a guessing somewhere around May 15th, but not sure). Thanks!

They will gladly tell you over the phone what number they are on the waitlist AFTER May 15th...preferably in June.

Since the first week isn't till August as opposed to classes starting in July in previous years, I think the waitlist won't move as much early on as it did in the past. But like others said, the new curriculum might be a big factor in waitlist movement...and also, the strength of the class. I mean, if we all have multiple acceptances, then the waitlist might move even quicker!

It would be nice, if people posted what number they are currently on.

As of 4/4/06, they have accepted one person from the waitlist. Good luck to everyone and keep us posted.

In regards to the letter we received concerning signing up for parking throough Student Link, did any former U of A students have to call the Admissions Office to get a new student ID# in order to access Student Link?

Out of curiousity, I was still able to log on to Student Link (I graduated in 2005) and was wondering if I need to bother Admissions again for a student ID #?

Thanks!

I was also able to access my student link even though I graduated in Dec 2004.

What about e-mail? I stopped having access to my e-mail account since summer of 2004. Do we need that for the parking permit?

Why is everyone saying that more people are likely to not choose UOFA because of the new curriculum? Someone please explain!

moto - the curriculum is brand-spankin' new. They've been using the same curriculum since the school opened 40 years ago. A semester of gross anatomy, general sciences, no PBL and path/histology using microscopes and such..

With the new curriculum, the same information will be there (it has to be!)
but it will be divided into organ systems, and anatomy lab will stretch out to a year long. For example, first we'll be studying the heart. which means we'll be studying the heart in anatomy lab with the cadavers, studying the pathology of the heart, biochemistry, etc. Which is nice, because everything will related back to the same organ system. At the same time, there will only be 25 hours of planned time a week, with only 9 hours of straight lecture, and the introduction of both PBL and team based learning, also a push towards a different grading system. Its still P/F (with some Honoring avaliable) but they are trying to get away from the high stakes multiple choice exams, and have more written projects, and tests, and evaluations. I"m still not clear on that, but I like the idea and their direction.
Threaded throughout the curriculum are special topic social behavioral classes.

Some people like me were swayed to attend U of A, had their decision made for them, because they like the new currirulum so much

A lot of people, though, may not be thrilled with being the "guinea pig" year of a brand new curriculum. There will inevitably be kinks to work out, and some people may not like being the first to experience something, not having the MS2's to look to for guidance. Also, The curriculum for 3rd and 4th year hasn't been determined yet and that is scaring some people i've talked to away, and into choosing other schools.

Personally, I'm not worried in the least about the curriculum, and i assume that the 3rd and 4th years won't be much different then they are now. However, I've talked to others , and while i don't share their trepidation, I understand their concern and desire to go to a different school with a more "set" curriculum.

Thats why I think the waiting list is going to move. That and the the occasional granted deferral will open up an additional seat or two or three or maybe four :).

AL112934 said:
I was also able to access my student link even though I graduated in Dec 2004.

What about e-mail? I stopped having access to my e-mail account since summer of 2004. Do we need that for the parking permit?

I'm not sure. I lost my email account last fall after graduating. Maybe it's time to call Parking and Transportation.

desertdr said:
I'm not sure. I lost my email account last fall after graduating. Maybe it's time to call Parking and Transportation.

Ok, I called Ann at the COM Office of Admissions and she said if you are a former U of A student, you DO NOT need to get another student ID number. Apparently, we stay in the system forever, hence the fact we can access student link anytime. Not so on the email. We'll recieve another U of A email soon.

For anyone interested (there must be others besides my friend on the waitlist), they are up to #5, as of today. I hope they get to #40 soon.

Good luck everyone.

omgwtfbbq said:
moto - the curriculum is brand-spankin' new. They've been using the same curriculum since the school opened 40 years ago. A semester of gross anatomy, general sciences, no PBL and path/histology using microscopes and such..

With the new curriculum, the same information will be there (it has to be!)
but it will be divided into organ systems, and anatomy lab will stretch out to a year long. For example, first we'll be studying the heart. which means we'll be studying the heart in anatomy lab with the cadavers, studying the pathology of the heart, biochemistry, etc. Which is nice, because everything will related back to the same organ system. At the same time, there will only be 25 hours of planned time a week, with only 9 hours of straight lecture, and the introduction of both PBL and team based learning, also a push towards a different grading system. Its still P/F (with some Honoring avaliable) but they are trying to get away from the high stakes multiple choice exams, and have more written projects, and tests, and evaluations. I"m still not clear on that, but I like the idea and their direction.
Threaded throughout the curriculum are special topic social behavioral classes.

Some people like me were swayed to attend U of A, had their decision made for them, because they like the new currirulum so much

A lot of people, though, may not be thrilled with being the "guinea pig" year of a brand new curriculum. There will inevitably be kinks to work out, and some people may not like being the first to experience something, not having the MS2's to look to for guidance. Also, The curriculum for 3rd and 4th year hasn't been determined yet and that is scaring some people i've talked to away, and into choosing other schools.

Personally, I'm not worried in the least about the curriculum, and i assume that the 3rd and 4th years won't be much different then they are now. However, I've talked to others , and while i don't share their trepidation, I understand their concern and desire to go to a different school with a more "set" curriculum.

Thats why I think the waiting list is going to move. That and the the occasional granted deferral will open up an additional seat or two or three or maybe four .

I totally agree. I think the new curriculum is a great move forward and it should work out fine. I'm not personally worried about the guinea pig year.

Just for the sake of clarity...
Cardiovascular won't be the first system. There's a week of seizure disorder stuff during the Prologue block, then about 9 weeks of basic science foundational topics (genetics, cell bio, etc) before any of the organ systems start. Musculoskeletal will be the first organ system late in the fall, followed by a block on the nervous system. We'll be on heart mid-spring, along with lung and renal.

thanks for clarifying, hope . I'm right about the 9am starting time though, right? *smiles* my little heart is set on 7-9am being writing time for me :)

omgwtfbbq? said:
thanks for clarifying, hope . I'm right about the 9am starting time though, right? *smiles* my little heart is set on 7-9am being writing time for me

Yeah, that's correct.

And wow! You'd get up early to write? I'm set on 7-9am being my roll-over-and-sleep-some-more time. :)

anyone have the secondary for uofa med school by any chance?

moto_za said:
anyone have the secondary for uofa med school by any chance?

I doubt anyone has a secondary available as:

1. It's about page long asking for your basic info and where you want to do clinical years, AZ resident, letter of rec, etc., and $75

2. Since it's only available after they recieve AMCAS, unless someone here photocopied it, there is no PDF version

Not sure why you need it, but it takes about 5 minutes to fill out...just enough time to write the check out to U of A!

don't worry about the secondary. there are no essays on it. I thought you already applied, why do you need a copy?

speaking of needing things. I really need a dog. A corgi. Anyone want to get my a corgi?They're so great. Who wouldn't love a dog that herds people? And those bat ears are so endearing. I'll buy it a little lab coat and it can hang out in the student lounge. It can be my study buddy.....*sigh* I really need a pet.... *strokes a fuzzy pillow... not the same....* i miss having animals.... just a random thought....

Did anyone else make their acceptance "official" to the U of A by sending back the letter stating your withdrawal from other acceptances? I just mailed mine out yesterday.

I was a bit surprised to get the letter "suggesting" that I make a decision before May 15. Not that I was planning on waiting til May 14th, but I haven't even recieved the financial aid info from the other school.

Here's to UofA SOM Class of 2010! :smuggrin:

I was a little annoyed with that letter because they have given me very little info since I've been accepted, especially concerning financial aid stuff. It might be just because I haven't attended that meeting, where you get to mee the dean and what not.

Has anyone recieved any financial aid info yet?

I called the other day, but I was able to get in touch with the financial aid people, ill probably try again.

I also sent back my "official acceptance" to the UA.
I had to e-mail the other school to make sure I had officially withdrew from them.

It's official: Back to Wildcat Country!

As for financial aid.... They don't really tell u much at that informational session..... 1st yr's said that stuff doesn't get sent till closer to the summer.....

desertdr said:
Did anyone else make their acceptance "official" to the U of A by sending back the letter stating your withdrawal from other acceptances? I just mailed mine out yesterday.
I was a bit surprised to get the letter "suggesting" that I make a decision before May 15. Not that I was planning on waiting til May 14th, but I haven't even recieved the financial aid info from the other school.

Huh? I didn't get a letter like that...
Maybe UA changed its mind and decided it doesn't want me anymore, but it's doing that break-up-without-breaking-up thing where it stops calling or writing, then pretends it's washing its hair whenever I try to contact it. :p

Hope2010 said:
Huh? I didn't get a letter like that...
Maybe UA changed its mind and decided it doesn't want me anymore, but it's doing that break-up-without-breaking-up thing where it stops calling or writing, then pretends it's washing its hair whenever I try to contact it. :p

Haha...maybe UA just doesn't like "confrontation"!

Most likely, you had already withdrawn acceptances from the other schools by the time UA did their audit?...just a guess.

For anyone interested in waitlist movement. They are up to number 11.

does anyone know WHEN uofa will send out the last acceptance from the waitlist? thanks for the update ASU!

moto_za said:
does anyone know WHEN uofa will send out the last acceptance from the waitlist? thanks for the update ASU!

There is no definitive date. It varies from year to year based on when an accepted applicant declines their slot and opens a place for a waitlistee. As with other schools, most of the list movement happens mid-May to mid-June but the trickle can continue all the way until school starts (this year, that's August 7th). In the past, people have been invited with just a few days left before classes begin.

From past years it seems that if you are 1-25 on the alternate list you have a very good chance of being accepted, 25-42 is a gray area that varies year to year. I believe the most they have ever accepted is 42 from the alternate list. Since this year is unique with the new curriculum, things may be different. I believe that U of A has taken at least 35 the last four years, but I could be mistaken. Maybe Linda would give out that information if asked.

By May 15th of the first year I applied they had taken 25 from the alternate list (I was 42), by two weeks before class started they were around 34 so I gave up and stop calling, later I heard from friend that they took like 40 that year, so I just missed the cut off. I was told that the last person on the alternate list started the second day of classes or maybe that was the second day of orientation.

CCC2 said:
From past years it seems that if you are 1-25 on the alternate list you have a very good chance of being accepted, 25-42 is a gray area that varies year to year. I believe the most they have ever accepted is 42 from the alternate list. Since this year is unique with the new curriculum, things may be different. I believe that U of A has taken at least 35 the last four years, but I could be mistaken. Maybe Linda would give out that information if asked.

By May 15th of the first year I applied they had taken 25 from the alternate list (I was 42), by two weeks before class started they were around 34 so I gave up and stop calling, later I heard from friend that they took like 40 that year, so I just missed the cut off. I was told that the last person on the alternate list started the second day of classes or maybe that was the second day of orientation.

You're mostly right, but they did accept all the way out to #50 a few years back. The person who was #50 is graduating this May.
The alternate list can keep moving clear until the first official day of classes (there's no separate orientation this year because it's built into the Prologue week). For anyone who's still waiting that makes for a long summer, but it also means there's still hope all the way up until the beginning of August.
So far it doesn't seem like the prospect of the new curriculum has changed the waitlist movement dynamics, but we'll have to wait and see what May 15th brings.

Was anyone else at the Dean's welcome this past Friday. I am not sure of other people’s impressions, but I was not impressed. I am sure the UoA is not the school for me. For one, I don't think they know what they are doing with the new curriculum. Secondly, the class is way older than I expected. Almost everyone had graduated several years ago to many years ago. I would say at least a third of the people were over 30. Finally, they don't even know what they are doing for third and fourth years, and are not sure what to do, since the new campus is going to open up in phoenix. To me, it looked like the school was tailored to an older non-traditional primary care seeking physician. I would love to hear others impressions.

Hey all,

Thought I'd make an introduction as I haven't been on SDN for a while. I deferred from UofA last year, and start this August. Looking forward to meeting you all soon...

Rainwoman

I went to the deans program in march and was really impressed. Maybe they had an off day. I did notice that there were quite a few people who didn't go in straight from undergrad, but not a lot of over 30's. Most people had only taken one or two years and were about 24. That didn't seem old at all, but maybe that's just because I took a year after 5 years of undergrad and am going to be 24 as well.... I don't really see the big deal with that.
I was told that they don't expect 3rd and 4th years to change very much. I believe that. I don't think 3rd and 4th year will be affected very much by a 2007 phoenix campus class of 25 people.

As for a primary care focus, sure they have a lot of primary care-esque activities, the cup program, the rurual healthcare programs, but can you blame a state school for having a small push to stay and take care of AZ residents? It didn't bother me in the least. I'm not interested in primary care and i took a look at the match list. the match list didn't seem overy skewed for me. But then again, i know I want to be an ENT surgeon, so I'm going to align myself with activities and people at UA that will help me down that road. the primary care people will align themselves with folks who will help them down their road.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Are you very young? I don't really see mid 20's as old..... :)

Just a thought .... I'm getting a Corgi in a few weeks and I think he should be the class mascot. Nothing says "medical school" like a very short dog in a lab coat. I'm going to train him to be a hospital dog so he can go and visit people and cheer them up, and anyone who wants to can stop by, pet him and teach him a little pathology. (hey, corgi's are very smart dogs)

So what does everybody say? Can my puppy be our class pet? (Doesn't everybody miss the 3rd grade class bunny?) :laugh:

omgwtfbbq? said:
Just a thought .... I'm getting a Corgi in a few weeks and I think he should be the class mascot. Nothing says "medical school" like a very short dog in a lab coat. I'm going to train him to be a hospital dog so he can go and visit people and cheer them up, and anyone who wants to can stop by, pet him and teach him a little pathology. (hey, corgi's are very smart dogs)

So what does everybody say? Can my puppy be our class pet? (Doesn't everybody miss the 3rd grade class bunny?) :laugh:

Awww, I do miss the 3rd grade class bunny...
We had a 7th grade class python, too, but he wasn't nearly as loveable.

But, um, that's not what I came here to post.
As of this morning, they were up to #14 on the waiting list. By tomorrow that should be #15 because I officially withdrew my acceptance from U of A (I got into Mayo!!!)

So good luck to #15, and enjoy the communal corgi !

Hope2010 said:
Awww, I do miss the 3rd grade class bunny...
We had a 7th grade class python, too, but he wasn't nearly as loveable.

But, um, that's not what I came here to post.
As of this morning, they were up to #14 on the waiting list. By tomorrow that should be #15 because I officially withdrew my acceptance from U of A (I got into Mayo!!!)

So good luck to #15, and enjoy the communal corgi !

Congrats Hope! Mayo is lucky to have you.

As for the Dean's Welcome this past Friday, I do agree that at least for our half, the majority were not straight from undergrad. It is obvious that the U of A will not be a traditional lecture based system with a majority of students being 22 year olds. With the new curriculum, they are shaping themselves to be a nontraditional friendly, problem based school ala UCSF ...but without the nationwide name recognition :laugh:

My philosophy is that the UA SOM will provide the basic foundation of a medical education. What you decide to do with it depends on you...whether it's primary care or ortho or derm.