***Official UMKC SOD Interview/Acceptance Thread c/o 2022***

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is absolutely insane. What state are you from??
UMKC is very specific about their requirements (X amount of shadowing at Y locations, etc.) so probably why such an otherwise strong applicant would get rejected. I got rejected my first year due to the fact that I had a regular volunteer activity that I had done for 6+ years and had 150+ hours doing. I was still doing it so I didn't enter a stop date therefore they apparently didn't count the activity. They looked at it as all being 6+ years old.

Anyone who gets rejected this year and wishes to reapply next year should definitely contact the school. They will help you become more competitive for the next cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

That is absolutely insane. What state are you from??
I'm from Illinois and I checked to make sure I met all the requirements before applying so I don't think it was because of that, but I will probably call in January to ask just out of curiosity. I've had many interviews already though so I'm not too worried.

Rejected as well, I am out of state but half of my family lives in KC.

Stats: 3.24 oGPA, 3.21 sGPA, 24 AA, 24 TS, 18 PAT

Members don't see this ad :)
The actual interview is very laid back, and will be with one of the faculty members in their office. The questions focus on who you are as a person, and move on to more general life opinions. The thought I had during my interview was that some of the questions seemed very similar to the ones on the huge supplemental app we filled out haha. I think the best way to prepare under those circumstances is to just re-read that supplemental the morning of the interview along with your normal pre-interview routine.

I'm not sure if they're doing it differently this year, but we also had a short group session around a table where we gave written answers to ethical questions, and we also individually recorded short videos for the admissions committee. Everyone was SO nervous for the video, but after talking to the people at the school, they're not going to be judging what you say or even paying much attention to the words, they're just looking to see what you're like in person.

Thank you so much! Do you know if they have open or closed book interviews?

Thank you so much! Do you know if they have open or closed book interviews?

Open book to your supplemental that you fill out, but my guy didn't seem to have my grades in front of him. However, I have heard of people being asked about their grades so I might have been an exception

Anyone who has received an interview from UMKC, has your portal changes or does it still say, "received/under review"
I interviewed in mid-september and mine still says "invited for interview" on the portal

Reactions: 1 user
If you haven't heard back by now, what is safe to assume?

Last edited:
If you haven't heard back by now, what is safe to assume?

I believe all pre-december interview invitations have already gone out. There's a slight chance you could be invited in January, but on Dec 1st they told me my application would be considered with that group of 40 in-state students they were planing to interview.

At the end of the whole process I was waitlisted, and that was with an overall GPA of 3.5 and a solid application (according to Wes at the school). With that in mind, I think things are looking grim at this point.

If it makes anyone feel better, I just got an interview invite last week so maybe they still have a couple interview spots left before December.

Open book to your supplemental that you fill out, but my guy didn't seem to have my grades in front of him. However, I have heard of people being asked about their grades so I might have been an exception

Thank you! Mine is tomorrow so hoping all goes well.

How was it? I have mine next week, any advice?
I was there yesterday too and since I'm online I'll give you my two cents.
Honestly, its pretty chill. You get a 45 min one on one interview, this experience may vary depending on who interviews you. Just know your application and be able to talk about it, expand on it a bit, and be prepared for some basic interview questions such as, "tell me about yourself." Again, your interview depends on who you get, but most people seemed to come back pretty relaxed. You probably know about the video, it's not that bad, be yourself and have a little something prepared to say. It's not bad.
It's a long day with the interview and tour and shadowing and presentations so come in rested. I got really tired after lunch and felt kind of out of it during the writing sample- my biggest regret. It's not bad though, everyone is nice, you'll do great.

FYI- under the main predent link someone posted the ADEA presentations from several schools. UMKC is on there so worth a watch if you haven't - UMKC goes last on the second video (I think) and it's only about 5 min.

Last edited:
Email from Wes this morning. No interview. Literally crying my eyes out and I have a test in 5 hours. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Email from Wes this morning. No interview. Literally crying my eyes out and I have a test in 5 hours. :(
I’m really sorry to hear that and I was right where you are now, last year. I reapplied this year and got one. There is hope, just ask them what to do to improve your application and be open to constructive criticism. More than likely they will say “improve your DAT,” unless you got over 20 on everything. I improved my DAT and got an interview. It totally sucks but life will go on, I promise you and if you want it you will do enough to show them you do and eventually get an interview. I wish you all the luck in the world

What are your stats like ? :(

MO Resident
3.04 GPA (I know its low but 3 years ago it was >2.0
19 AA 24 PAT
220 Shadowing Hours (7 different settings) w/ 60 hours at UMKC
605 volunteer hours

What is the writing sample portion of the interview like?

Old graduate of UMKC here........class of 1987. Anyone from Arkansas heard anything.............I've heard from students, board members etc..., that Arkansas and UMKC students are feuding and things are difficult for an Arkansas applicant. I've had patients go to LSU, Louisville and Tennessee, but several excellent candidates can't even get an interview. Is it better now?

So I just almost had a heart attack.

I keep all my dental application files on my laptop, and I was reading my supplemental survey to UMKC just to review things, and I realized I didn't fill out a REALLY important question of the survey. I started freaking out trying to comprehend how I missed that question, and internally I just wanted to die thinking about reapplying for the third time.

Then I checked the email I sent to UMKC, and on that version I actually had filled out that portion. Needless to say I was relieved.

Reactions: 2 users
So I just almost had a heart attack.

I keep all my dental application files on my laptop, and I was reading my supplemental survey to UMKC just to review things, and I realized I didn't fill out a REALLY important question of the survey. I started freaking out trying to comprehend how I missed that question, and internally I just wanted to die thinking about reapplying for the third time.

Then I checked the email I sent to UMKC, and on that version I actually had filled out that portion. Needless to say I was relieved.

I reviewed my supplemental the night before my interview. I misspelled procedure "proceedure" twice in the same sentence. :bang:

This is my favorite misspelling.

Moral of the story, December 1st is a few weeks out, don't review your stuff now, it will only eat you up inside.

I reviewed my supplemental the night before my interview. I misspelled procedure "proceedure" twice in the same sentence. :bang:

This is my favorite misspelling.

Moral of the story, December 1st is a few weeks out, don't review your stuff now, it will only eat you up inside.

I found two typos in mine too, but they were minor and hard to notice (I'm hoping)

I found two typos in mine too, but they were minor and hard to notice (I'm hoping)
I did the same exact thing. I was showing a physician I work with so she could review it and in reading it I found a couple of typos. I shouldn't have looked!

Reactions: 1 users
I was there yesterday too and since I'm online I'll give you my two cents.
Honestly, its pretty chill. You get a 45 min one on one interview, this experience may vary depending on who interviews you. Just know your application and be able to talk about it, expand on it a bit, and be prepared for some basic interview questions such as, "tell me about yourself." Again, your interview depends on who you get, but most people seemed to come back pretty relaxed. You probably know about the video, it's not that bad, be yourself and have a little something prepared to say. It's not bad.
It's a long day with the interview and tour and shadowing and presentations so come in rested. I got really tired after lunch and felt kind of out of it during the writing sample- my biggest regret. It's not bad though, everyone is nice, you'll do great.

FYI- under the main predent link someone posted the ADEA presentations from several schools. UMKC is on there so worth a watch if you haven't - UMKC goes last on the second video (I think) and it's only about 5 min.

How do you feel about this cycle? I remembered you from last year and was wondering what you'd decided to do

Has anyone's status changed from "invited for interview" to "received/under review"?

Mine still says "invited for interview" as well. I interviewed on 10/9. Not to freak anyone out, but I made the mistake of reading last year's acceptance thread and saw a pattern of those accepted, they all had an application status change from "invited for interview" to "received/under review" around this time.:( Hopefully it doesn't mean anything. Anyone else notice a status change?

Mine still says "invited for interview" as well. I interviewed on 10/9. Not to freak anyone out, but I made the mistake of reading last year's acceptance thread and saw a pattern of those accepted, they all had an application status change from "invited for interview" to "received/under review" around this time.:( Hopefully it doesn't mean anything. Anyone else notice a status change?

Don't say thaaaaat

I went back and checked and it was on Nov 30th when they updated the portal (the day before Dec 1st) so we still have hope!!!

It looks like back in Class of 2019's thread they had updates around Nov 22nd, but last years thread had the updates around Nov 30th, so now I don't know what to think and I'm super nervous

How do you feel about this cycle? I remembered you from last year and was wondering what you'd decided to do
Hey Veovis,
I just saw your post. I'm feeling a little better about this time around. My supplemental was better (not perfect though), my interview was a little better (of course I thought my first was good too), my video was better, but I probably didn't do quite as well on the written exercise. I have approximately the same DAT (I did a retake due to age of my previous score) and the limitations of my GPA. Overall- It's still a crapshoot, but I am very cautiously optimistic. I will apply next year if needed, I know I've got one more in me.

I will not be checking my application status and will just wait until the 1st. :nailbiting:

Mine still says 'Invited for Interview', but I asked because I was also creeping on previous threads. I think c/o 2019 students having their portal updated Nov 20-22 was a one-time instance.

My status changed.:wideyed:

Okay, now I know we don't know for sure that it means something but MY STATUS CHANGED TOO

Okay, now I know we don't know for sure that it means something but MY STATUS CHANGED TOO
I still have a status of “invited for interview.” IS student, interviewed 10/23

I still have a status of “invited for interview.” IS student, interviewed 10/23

I interviewed around the same time as you. I don't want to say for sure either way, but here are the things I know from last cycle and reading previous threads

1. The people who actively report status changes in late november seem to also report acceptances Dec 1st

2. Last cycle, my status remained “invited for interview" and I was not accepted Dec 1st, but was placed among the other group of IS students that would be interviewed and given further consideration into January (and I ended up being waitlisted).

3. There was one guy from hawaii who never had his status change from “invited for interview", who ended up being accepted. His status never changed even after he was notified of the acceptance.

The dates seem to change every year, and for all we know Wes from UMKC might read these threads and switch it up to keep people guessing.

Reactions: 2 users
So my status changed from "invited to interview" to "received/under-review" on Sunday, but I just checked again and it has changed back to "invited to interview." Any thoughts?

So my status changed from "invited to interview" to "received/under-review" on Sunday, but I just checked again and it has changed back to "invited to interview." Any thoughts?
Yes, Wes IS reading this and he's messing with us now.

Honestly, no one really knows. It could mean anything. One more day, we can do it.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!!

Same happened to me... Anyone else have this?

Has anyone ever not had their status changed and still gotten accepted?
there's no point giving yourself high blood pressure about status changing or not changing lol tomorrow all our doubts will be put to rest. Just hang in there less than 24hrs to go!!

Status
Not open for further replies.