Official UCSD PS c/o 2009 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

endlesslove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought one of these would be cool. For those who have decided to matriculate at UCSD Pharmacy School for the c/o 2009:

posting anything here you like that is related to UCSD PS, like housing, roommates, snail mail, recommended studying materials, get togethers, etc.

I'll go first--has anyone received any information about their financial aid package yet?? i'm sick of my med school friends already getting financial aid packages (and scholarships) prior to making their final decisions on where to go to school. I'd like to know whether I'll be living in a box next yr or if I can get some nice scholarships and if the latter, how much. I haven't heard from them since getting the positive letter.

Also, when are you guys going to start apartment hunting? I feel like I should start now--no, correction, I WANT to start now but I don't want to pay for summer rent if I'm not going to be there. :) My friend told me to email Kim so that you can be added to her list when she gets the official c/o 2009 roster. This makes looking for housing with your future classmates a lot easier.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi endlesslove. =) I haven't heard anything since the first letter with the financial aid app stuff. What list are we supposed to tell Kim to add us to? I'm a bit confused...

I plan to start looking for housing beginning of the summer.. but I don't really know where to start. I'm looking forward to moving to SD though, it'll probably nicer and cheaper than living in LA. =P

azynchica said:
Hi endlesslove. =) I haven't heard anything since the first letter with the financial aid app stuff. What list are we supposed to tell Kim to add us to? I'm a bit confused...

I plan to start looking for housing beginning of the summer.. but I don't really know where to start. I'm looking forward to moving to SD though, it'll probably nicer and cheaper than living in LA. =P

My friend said to just email her and ask her to add you to her listserve of the official UCSD c/o 2009 so that everybody can communicate and ppl can form groups to find housing and such.

if you fit this criteria, we can be housemates (with maybe 2 other girls)! :p
-clean
-considerate [i.e. no loud music when i am sleeping at 1am, lol, it's common sense not to disturb others when they are sleeping]
-and finally, if we must share a room (i prefer a single), please be considerate of my space (i.e. not you get 3/4 of the room and i get 1/4) as well as not leave dirty rotten food in the room, and also please do not have sex with others in my presence even if you live in the bunk(bed) above me. Thank you.

Those criteria are set by me after my HORRRRRRRRIBLE dorming experience freshman yr here at Berkeley (the girl was everything opposite of what i said above, lol)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi folks. If anybody needs help lookin for housing next year, I might be able to help. I've been here at UCSD for the last 6 yrs (4 yrs undergrad, 1 yr grad, and currently employed by... when i finish pharm school it'll be 10 yrs... sick) One thing to consider when lookin for housing around the area is whether you want to drive to school or not. There are campus shuttles and city buses that drive around the neighborhood and take you to campus... so if you want to save a couple hundred bucks for a parking permit (a graduate student permit is $500+ i believe for the year), you might want to find a apt thats near one of the shuttle/bus routes. anyhow, if you have any further questions, just let me know.

Thanks Bubelly! That helps. =)

Endlesslove wow, I'm sorry you had such a bad dorming experience.. I was pretty lucky my first year, I've had the same roommate since my first year (we were random roommates).

I think we would work out nicely if you're interested. =) I also prefer my own room too. Just IM/PM me sometime (Same sn as this one)
I don't leave dirty rotten food anywhere near my room, nor in the kitchen sink
I'm very clean and don't leave my stuff anywhere besides my area of the room
I generally never play loud music, I listen to stuff with my earphones on.
What??? no sex while someone else is in the room??? nm this isn't going to work out.. haha j/k j/k gee.. I'm sorry if that did happen to you.

Hi guys!

I didn't get into UCSD pharm school, but I did go to UCSD for undergrad. I loved it there and I'm sure all you guys will too! UCSD offers free shuttle/bus services to all student, so all the apartments on La Jola Village Dr, Regents, Genesse is very convienent. I lived in Costa Verde Apartments all 3 years. They offer everything you'll need (other than it's on the more expensive side). I don't know if they offer housing to pharm students, but if they do, it'll stretch along La Jolla Village Dr all the way down to Regents road (right across from Regents Apartment and Costa Verde Apartments). They have shuttles and buses that goes there. But in SD, usually the apt won't be able to tell you if they have vacancies until 1-2 months ahead. But u can start looking at them to get an idea of what you like and where you want to live.

Thanks. Would you guys mind sharing with me the approximate cost? I know from talking to my friend, a current Pharm student there, that she pays $400 to live in a 4 (or maybe 5) bedroom house and she gets her own room that is pretty big. Utilities split down to about $30/person/month. Like her, I want to bring my car (so I can drive home occassionally that is about 2 hours away--I don't want to ride the train); she told me most of the ppl there have cars and they all park their cars at home and usually they (housemates) just carpool to school (maybe a 5-minute drive), thus, only one parking permit is needed. also, a shuttle/bus isnt necessary, so I dont need to live near one of those lines and can branch out more.

I am not willing to spend more than $450/month (this includes rent) and I would like my own room. I didn't get to ask her specifically where that house was, but where else do you suggest we "lock" down these kinds of deals? After talking to her, I prefer to live in a house, but if there are some niiiice apartment deals (by 'nice' this includes the luxuries AND the cost), I'd also be interested in them. Do any of the ones crazyrice610 mentioned fit my criteria?

Thanks! UCSD financial aid package, will you please come already??

bubelly said:
4 yrs undergrad, 1 yr grad, and currently employed by... when i finish pharm school it'll be 10 yrs... sick

I'm confused. are you currently a UCSD Pharmacy student?

for those who already attend UCSD pharm school...since UCSD is on a p/np/honors system, is it possible to still make the Dean's or Chancellor's List if you get a lot of honors? How many are required to get this academic accolade?

HI

I also went to UCSD for undergrad. I rented an 2 bedroom and 2 bathroom apartment for $1400. The apartment name is Pines of La Jolla that is along the UCSD bus line. Actually, I think it is very convenient to take the school bus. The bus(both UCSD shuttle bus and regular bus) take you to UCSD campus every 5 or 10 minutes. It only take you less than 15 minutes to get to main campus directly. I personally prefer take the bus than drive a car because the parking space is "EXTREMELY" hard to find especailly if you want to park within the campus.Within the campus, some parking lots were builded along the mountain. Hence, you need to go up or go down to find a parking space and no more space left if you go after 8am. Otherwise, you can park on the surrounding parking lots and wait for the campus shuttle to take you inside the campus. The parking permit is so expensive and the gas is also more expensive at La Jolla than LA.

I don't know if Pharm school student is eligible to apply off-campus school housing like Mesa apartment and La Jolla del sol that are uaually for graduate students or professors. I know my friend live in Mesa apartment with 2 bedroom and 1 bath for only $800 and school will pay all the utility fee.
For La Jolla Del Sol, 2 bedroom and 2 bath for about $1050 but you need to pay utility. According to my friend, you need to wait in line for at least one year to get school apartments. :)

Hope it helps!

endlesslove said:
Thanks. Would you guys mind sharing with me the approximate cost? I know from talking to my friend, a current Pharm student there, that she pays $400 to live in a 4 (or maybe 5) bedroom house and she gets her own room that is pretty big. Utilities split down to about $30/person/month. Like her, I want to bring my car (so I can drive home occassionally that is about 2 hours away--I don't want to ride the train); she told me most of the ppl there have cars and they all park their cars at home and usually they (housemates) just carpool to school (maybe a 5-minute drive), thus, only one parking permit is needed. also, a shuttle/bus isnt necessary, so I dont need to live near one of those lines and can branch out more.

I am not willing to spend more than $450/month (this includes rent) and I would like my own room. I didn't get to ask her specifically where that house was, but where else do you suggest we "lock" down these kinds of deals? After talking to her, I prefer to live in a house, but if there are some niiiice apartment deals (by 'nice' this includes the luxuries AND the cost), I'd also be interested in them. Do any of the ones crazyrice610 mentioned fit my criteria?

Thanks! UCSD financial aid package, will you please come already??

Nope, not currently in the pharm school... but i will be in your class this upcoming year. i currently work in a lab @ the school of medicine.

as far as the price range of the area, it depends on where you want to live. I lived in a townhouse for 3 yrs and paid 450 for my own room (well sorta... it was a den converted to a room, the entire townhouse rent was $2250) . currently i live in another townhouse and share a room for 375 (total rent is $1500) but its ghetto. both of these townhouses are close to the school. I was lucky and got these pretty good deals (my friend owned one of them)... i think it might be hard to find a single for 450 or less around the school... but if you're lookin for cheap and you don't mind driving, you might wanna check out PB (pacific beach)... its cheap, but more ghetto, and its more of a college town than the area around the school. For houses, you might wanna take a look at mira mesa, i'm not sure about the prices, but i'm pretty sure its more reasonable than around here by the school (butt expensive).

one more thing about havin a car is that the areas around the school are prime targets for car theives, especially the coste verde area... and it doesn't even matter if an apt complex may be gated and have security guards. between me and my roomates, we had 5 car break-ins within 2 years... yeah...

hope this helps.

Hi, I also did my undergrad at UCSD and am currently living in San Diego.

hmmm $450 for rent might be pretty tough to get for a single. I dunno how your friend got such a great deal so close to school but it is a rare occurence so dont expect those prices in la jolla...and the whole $30 utilities thing...wow...they must not use any electricity or have no cable tv. A lot of people live in the Mira Mesa area and you can find affordable housing there if you dont mind the commute...with no traffic probably 15 minutes but with traffic its probably a good 30-40 minute drive. For those of you interested in living closer to campus, my friend just bought a 3br/1.5ba condo off of eastgate and easter. You can walk to Regents shuttle...probably a 10-15 minute walk and the shuttle takes you to campus. You would save money on parking (which btw is ridiculously crowded and expensive) and gas (gas prices in SD are sky-rocketing...) The rent is around $650 for your own room. She is looking for someone clean and quiet. If anybody is intersted PM me and i'll give you more info.

I also lived in Costa Verdes for a year. it is a nice place, walking distance to groceries and restaurants in costa verde center but its a tad pricey and the rooms are kinda small so it would be uncomfortable to double but definetly do-able. Their parking structure is poorly designed also. The benefit you get from living in an apartment complex like this is that your energy bill is significantly less than if you lived in a townhouse or house and you get amenities like gym, pool, gated parking.

Does UCSD have a football team? :idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
ZpackSux said:
Does UCSD have a football team? :idea:
ha funny..no. Sports is not our strong point...I think we have a decent water polo team? i dunno..i never reallly paid attention.

endlesslove said:
I am not willing to spend more than $450/month (this includes rent) and I would like my own room.

For 450 dollars worth of rent I would probably get a brown cardboard box to live in here in SF. :eek:

Bluhappy102 said:
Hi, I also did my undergrad at UCSD and am currently living in San Diego.

hmmm $450 for rent might be pretty tough to get for a single. I dunno how your friend got such a great deal so close to school but it is a rare occurence so dont expect those prices in la jolla...and the whole $30 utilities thing...wow...they must not use any electricity or have no cable tv. A lot of people live in the Mira Mesa area and you can find affordable housing there if you dont mind the commute...with no traffic probably 15 minutes but with traffic its probably a good 30-40 minute drive. For those of you interested in living closer to campus, my friend just bought a 3br/1.5ba condo off of eastgate and easter. You can walk to Regents shuttle...probably a 10-15 minute walk and the shuttle takes you to campus. You would save money on parking (which btw is ridiculously crowded and expensive) and gas (gas prices in SD are sky-rocketing...) The rent is around $650 for your own room. She is looking for someone clean and quiet. If anybody is intersted PM me and i'll give you more info.

I also lived in Costa Verdes for a year. it is a nice place, walking distance to groceries and restaurants in costa verde center but its a tad pricey and the rooms are kinda small so it would be uncomfortable to double but definetly do-able. Their parking structure is poorly designed also. The benefit you get from living in an apartment complex like this is that your energy bill is significantly less than if you lived in a townhouse or house and you get amenities like gym, pool, gated parking.

I don't know whether or not they have cable tv, but either way, it doesn't matter to me because I don't watch TV (except FORENSIC FILES!!!! <3 <3!!!). Hopefully we won't get cable so I won't have to pay for it :p I'll just bum off a friend when I want to watch Forensic Files :p If I were coming straight out of high school, the descriptions of living along the bus lines would sound nice, but given that Berkeley students also heavily depend on public transportation, living along a bus line really doesn't mean THAT much to me anymore. Parking didn't seem to be that big of a problem when my boyfriend and I visited UCSD. Even the friend I talked to (currently a pharm student) said parking wasn't that bad at all--if it is, ahh, I shouldn't have given up UCSF (I hate the parking there, but the city I <3!!! just got back from San Francisco after spending a WHOLE wonderful day @ the city & ocean waters). I'm gonna drive around once summer comes--I don't think landlords deserve more than $400 from me unless they want to pay for my education too :mad: (yeah, I'm cheap, 'cuz I'm all about saving, but I also want to live spoiled)--convincing my boyfriend to buy a house/condo for us there is still an option ;) . Anyway, yeah, surprisingly, my friend (and her 4 other housemates!) got a pretty freakin' sweet deal.

Thanks for your help again!

endlesslove said:
I don't know whether or not they have cable tv, but either way, it doesn't matter to me because I don't watch TV (except FORENSIC FILES!!!! <3 <3!!!). Hopefully we won't get cable so I won't have to pay for it :p I'll just bum off a friend when I want to watch Forensic Files :p If I were coming straight out of high school, the descriptions of living along the bus lines would sound nice, but given that Berkeley students also heavily depend on public transportation, living along a bus line really doesn't mean THAT much to me anymore. Parking didn't seem to be that big of a problem when my boyfriend and I visited UCSD. Even the friend I talked to (currently a pharm student) said parking wasn't that bad at all--if it is, ahh, I shouldn't have given up UCSF (I hate the parking there, but the city I <3!!! just got back from San Francisco after spending a WHOLE wonderful day @ the city & ocean waters). I'm gonna drive around once summer comes--I don't think landlords deserve more than $400 from me unless they want to pay for my education too :mad: (yeah, I'm cheap, 'cuz I'm all about saving, but I also want to live spoiled)--convincing my boyfriend to buy a house/condo for us there is still an option ;) . Anyway, yeah, surprisingly, my friend (and her 4 other housemates!) got a pretty freakin' sweet deal.

Thanks for your help again!

I went to UCSD for undergrad. I can be for certain that your friend doesn't live in La Jolla. La Jolla housing...the cheapest single's around 500'ish (even that it's like winning the lottery). If you don't mind the commute, then Mira Mesa is the way to go. Either that, or you can look around Clairemont Mesa area (a commute still). Public transportation sucks in SD. Around the campus is not that bad (city buses, UCSD city shuttles), but even so, the shuttles sometimes gets too packed so they pass you by (happened to me a few times). Car is probably the way to go, but UCSD parking IS a pain in the butt. Unless you have "B" parking (which costs bankage...around $500'ish to almost $600 a year now i believe), but even so, they are running low on B parking spots due to overwhelmingly large amount of employees/grad students. Regents parking lot is probably the best place to park. See if you can apply for UCSD Mesa apartments, I know you can apply for it if you're a grad student, but I am not sure if pharm students are included. If you can get those, then it's sweet. Around the UCSD campus are mostly apartments that are 2Br/2Ba. They are all relatively convenient w/the exception that you probably won't get the single u're asking for. A few popular ones: Costa Verde, La Regencia, Regents, International Garden, La Scala, and Nobel Court. Some condos/houses can be found around La jolla, but generally pricey.

If you need more help, just ask away. G'luck =)

Kim sent us an email today saying she'd be mailing us a packet this week!! If any of you Southern kids get them before any of us Northerners do, please let us know what it's about! I hope it's good (financially)!! :)

great idea starting this thread :love: there's been a lot of talk about apartments, but does anyone out there need a roommate? i'm up and moving to sd w/o knowing a single other person down there. i haven't had very good luck with the random roomies i've had as an undergrad, so mostly, i just want a quiet place to study and sleep and roommates who are mature enuf to be considerate of others! is it hard to get campus housing, even the on-campus 4 rm apts & does anybody know how those are?

Kim sent us an email today saying she'd be mailing us a packet this week!! If any of you Southern kids get them before any of us Northerners do, please let us know what it's about! I hope it's good (financially)!!

1. Welcome letter
2. Misc. fees
3. Statement of Legal Residence
4. Immunization Records
5. Computer Requirements
6. UCSD info/general SD info

Yup, I got mine today too.

popping over from the allo threads to say congrats to you druggies. hope you're looking forward to working hard! i think all the ucsd med students are impressed with the amount of work our pharm counterparts put in for what is supposedly an "easier" career.