Official U Maryland Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
naach83 said:
From what I was told, we'll be reviewed again and some of us will be accepted, while the rest will be added onto the current waitlist, and ranked along with them. She didn't mention rejecting anyone on the "hold" category, so I'm not sure how that's going to work. It wouldn't hurt if one of us called again to make sure this information is correct; what I'm saying is from a couple weeks ago so maybe something has changed? I just hope I wasn't being lied to...I'm already sick of this waiting as it is.

Wait, is there a difference between the "hold" list and the "re-reviewed" list? I received the "re-review" letter but it didn't mention anything about a hold.

Members don't see this ad.

I just called and the woman who answered said they would be "re-reviewing" all of us next week. So we should all hear something (rejected, accepted, or waitlist) with 1 to 2 weeks after that.

I'm ready to storm the admissions office. Anyone up for a sit-in? :eek:

LucidSplash said:
I just called and the woman who answered said they would be "re-reviewing" all of us next week. So we should all hear something (rejected, accepted, or waitlist) with 1 to 2 weeks after that.

I'm ready to storm the admissions office. Anyone up for a sit-in? :eek:

Definitely!! Because last time I called they said the last adcom meeting would be on the 11th and all the letters would be mailed out by the end of the month! Sounds like their story has changed yet again... :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
varrlt said:
Wait, is there a difference between the "hold" list and the "re-reviewed" list? I received the "re-review" letter but it didn't mention anything about a hold.

I think we're all talking about the same thing..."re-reviewed" aka "hold." Basically, the adcom had no idea what to do with us so they just bunched us up in this category until later review.

boobah16 said:
Definitely!! Because last time I called they said the last adcom meeting would be on the 11th and all the letters would be mailed out by the end of the month! Sounds like their story has changed yet again... :thumbdown:

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that she said the "last regular" adcom meeting was on the 18th, and the adcom would meet again "next week" (this week now) to go over all the people that needed to be "re-reviewed." So for whatever reason, they're having special adcom meetings for this. Sigh :confused:

all true. today (5/2) the official waitlist gets ranked. two weeks ago, the last regular ADCOM meeting was held, one in which some of the last applicants that were interviewed were reviewed for the first time.

today, most of those that were put on hold/re-review will be placed in an official waitlist. some will be rejected and a very minimal few MAY be accepted today. remember, maryland has accepted more applicants than spots, they have to wait for people to withdraw (which will prob. not happen until the 15th). sooooo.... now, the real wait begins.

Since it's now May and getting closer to May 15th, I wanted to see once again, who would like to participate in the Maryland c/o 2009 SDN Meet and if we could nail down a day.

Here is the list so far:

tinkerbelle
BlueMagPie (anytime after late may)
DantheMan05 (anytime after mid June)
uptoolate (if in town)
AdrenalineJunkie
neuropower (anytime except 5/18-6/1)

Good luck to those working on their finals!

we're going to be 'meeting' all day-every day for 2 years atleast....let's chill w/ it...

shawty ya'head said:
we're going to be 'meeting' all day-every day for 2 years atleast....let's chill w/ it...

that's fine if you don't want to go, but some of us do. No need to be rude. :rolleyes:

BlueMagpie said:
Since it's now May and getting closer to May 15th, I wanted to see once again, who would like to participate in the Maryland c/o 2009 SDN Meet and if we could nail down a day.

Here is the list so far:

tinkerbelle
BlueMagPie (anytime after late may)
DantheMan05 (anytime after mid June)
uptoolate (if in town)
AdrenalineJunkie
neuropower (anytime except 5/18-6/1)

Good luck to those working on their finals!

Hi All,

Its really hard to write this but we (my husband and I) have decided to leave Baltimore and I'll be attending school elsewhere. I still seem to think of Maryland as an option in my head, but since we just bought a house in PA I guess its a done deal. I haven't contacted UMd yet, so hopefully one of you waitlisters will get my spot soon. This decision process sucks. I'm still stuck on all the attributes that made it attractive, especially for people with kids, and wondering if I haven't made a stupid decision. Good luck to all of you.

UTL

uptoolate said:
Hi All,

Its really hard to write this but we (my husband and I) have decided to leave Baltimore and I'll be attending school elsewhere. I still seem to think of Maryland as an option in my head, but since we just bought a house in PA I guess its a done deal. I haven't contacted UMd yet, so hopefully one of you waitlisters will get my spot soon. This decision process sucks. I'm still stuck on all the attributes that made it attractive, especially for people with kids, and wondering if I haven't made a stupid decision. Good luck to all of you.

UTL

awwww :( Well, good luck at which ever school you will be attending this fall :luck:

uptoolate said:
Hi All,

UTL

Sorry to hear that you are not attending UMD, but best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

uptoolate - well you have to make the best decision for your family. i'm sure you'll do well wherever you go in PA. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
shawty ya'head said:

:laugh: well nobody's MAKING you come! it's not mandatory :p

Hi everyone~ I briefly looked through the whole list of posts (wow, it took forever!). I am fairly new to the sdn, but thought that perhaps I can get questions answered more honestly and get more discussion here than anywhere else.

I interviewed MD/PhD, and therefore didn't get to meet anyone involved in the straight med program, I never met Dr Foxwell, I have received basically none of the information about matriculation that everyone else seems to have received, though I was accepted in early March, nor did I get to take a tour or see the hospitals when I visited. I talked to a few students, but I really have no sense of a lot of things about the place, although my overall impression was very positive. I am debating between this school and one other, and at this point it's about 50/50 and I have to decide SOON because I promised that I'd try to let them know this week.... I don't know what to do...

If I do come, I'd be all over visiting with ANYONE who is also going to be there, and will probably actually try to get there this summer, so I'd be there anytime after June begins for meeting up.

I am not from Maryland-- are there any other accepted non-Maryland people out there? If so, where are you from and what draws you to MD? I myself am originally from CO, went to school in upstate NY, and am currently in Pittsburgh. Also how is Baltimore-- Really?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!!!

hey calliope
welcome to sdn and congrats on your maryland acceptance!
it's too bad that you didn't get to see the hospital, it's beautiful! i would definitely recommend going back again before you have to decide so you can see how great the facilities are. i thought the library was spectacular also. i can't really answer many of your other questions since i'm a md resident, and have never lived in baltimore myself. but i can tell you that i'm very excited about going to maryland because i LOVE their program...

we haven't really gotten any info from them since our acceptance letters either...i think sdners are just very proactive and seek out information by calling the offices and sharing info on this forum. the only thing i received since my acceptance letter was a flyer about housing!

what's the other school you are considering? what are you going to get your PhD in ?

Calliope said:
Hi everyone~ I briefly looked through the whole list of posts (wow, it took forever!). I am fairly new to the sdn, but thought that perhaps I can get questions answered more honestly and get more discussion here than anywhere else.

I interviewed MD/PhD, and therefore didn't get to meet anyone involved in the straight med program, I never met Dr Foxwell, I have received basically none of the information about matriculation that everyone else seems to have received, though I was accepted in early March, nor did I get to take a tour or see the hospitals when I visited. I talked to a few students, but I really have no sense of a lot of things about the place, although my overall impression was very positive. I am debating between this school and one other, and at this point it's about 50/50 and I have to decide SOON because I promised that I'd try to let them know this week.... I don't know what to do...

If I do come, I'd be all over visiting with ANYONE who is also going to be there, and will probably actually try to get there this summer, so I'd be there anytime after June begins for meeting up.

I am not from Maryland-- are there any other accepted non-Maryland people out there? If so, where are you from and what draws you to MD? I myself am originally from CO, went to school in upstate NY, and am currently in Pittsburgh. Also how is Baltimore-- Really?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!!!

Thanks so much for your reply! The other school I am considering is Irvine. my PhD will most likely be in neuroscience. (What did you like so well about the program there?)

Hey Calliope - I'm only doing the MD program myself and I'm also from Maryland, however I've spent the last 8 years out of state (undergrad + time off). As neuropower said, the hospital & library are beautiful the campus has undergone a big transformation since I worked there high school. One of the things I really like about Maryland is the diversity of the student body, it's something I was used to growing up in Maryland and something I truly miss down here. Lots of people don't like Baltimore too much. I actually prefer it to DC, it has character and 2 nice art museums as well as the Inner Harbor and tons of funny little restaurants. The city has been doing things to try and refurbish run down sections. For instance they are putting up a whole bunch of new research buildings and have in recent years torn down the high rises that attracted a lot of crime/drug dealers and put up town houses that people can own. All in all, I'm really happy and pleased to be attending UMD in the fall.

I hope that helps somewhat... please PM me if you have any more questions. :luck:

Hey, to those that are previously on "hold," have you guys heard from UMD yet since the adcom meeting was last monday to determine the waitlist rank. Well, i haven't receive anything yet, funny thing is that I haven't gotten any mail at all this week, not even the advertisement mail. Thx

nervouspremed said:
Hey, to those that are previously on "hold," have you guys heard from UMD yet since the adcom meeting was last monday to determine the waitlist rank. Well, i haven't receive anything yet, funny thing is that I haven't gotten any mail at all this week, not even the advertisement mail. Thx

Nothing from UMAB here... although if you would like some of my junkmail, I've had plenty to spare this week :laugh:

admissions is in the process of moving to HSF II. most of the stuff is packed right now; so, it might take a little bit to get your letters out.

cytoskelement said:
admissions is in the process of moving to HSF II. most of the stuff is packed right now; so, it might take a little bit to get your letters out.
Thx cyto and lucid.

Has anyone actually gotten an apartment yet? I'm getting really nervous about not having a place to live.

tinkerbelle said:
Has anyone actually gotten an apartment yet? I'm getting really nervous about not having a place to live.

I have one, but I need to be in town earlier. Have you viewed any apartments yet?

BlueMagpie said:
I have one, but I need to be in town earlier. Have you viewed any apartments yet?

Yup, and I'm on two waitlists. The waitlists just aren't moving :mad:

Tink, are you actively considering those 2 waitlist schools?
I'm on the WL at Dartmouth, and am having a rough time figuring out if it would be worth it to give up a great education and low(er) tuition at UMD should I get off the WL. The only concern I have with UMD is whether a large state school environment would seem impersonal from a student perspective. Otherwise, the curriculum, facilities, etc. are fantastic at UMD, and, as of this moment, I'm looking forward to being there in August.

starfruit said:
Tink, are you actively considering those 2 waitlist schools?
I'm on the WL at Dartmouth, and am having a rough time figuring out if it would be worth it to give up a great education and low(er) tuition at UMD should I get off the WL. The only concern I have with UMD is whether a large state school environment would seem impersonal from a student perspective. Otherwise, the curriculum, facilities, etc. are fantastic at UMD, and, as of this moment, I'm looking forward to being there in August.

Oops. I meant, I'm on two waitlists for apartments. I finally declined my acceptances at other schools.

Well how much did you like Dartmouth? I know it's a great school, but did you like it more than UMD? Exactly how much more is it? As far as the impersonal environment goes, I don't know how true that would be. I guess out class will be big (150?) but is it that much bigger than Dartmouth? I mean, UMD isn't that big... it's nothing like the undergrad.

I ran into a few friends from undergrad who are now at UMD. They didn't have any complaints about UMD being to big or feeling like a number instead of a student. Their complaints about UMD focused on the school being super unorganized and about not being adequately prepared for med school.

Ah, okay. Good luck with the apartment waitlists.

Yeah, not having fully committed to UMd yet (bloody waitlists) makes it more difficult to really get into the whole apartment search thing. I think I'm going to stick with the UniSuites for the first year just out of not having to deal with finding roommates, looking at rooms/location, etc.

hey guys
what do we need to be doing to make sure we get our loans? i already accepted my "awards" (i.e. loans, 2 staffords and 6K in private) on the website, but what is the next step? if we already chose a lender on that additional form on SURFS, are we good to go? will they just send us a check in august?
i wish they sent us more stuff in the mail, like updates and the like...

good luck with your apartment searches...i always find moving very stressful but also kind of exciting. i just found a place i really like (tho i'm going to live in silver spring and not baltimore)...i was checking out the baltimore craigslist out of curiosity and it seems like there are some really awesomely beautiful and cheap apartments if you are willing to live off-campus...

calliope, one of my friends is going to be starting the phd program in neuroscience next year! she's interested in schizophrenia and umd has like a 18 million dollar research center devoted to studying it...sounds really cool! anyway, i like the way they teach first two years...there are only 2 hours of lecture per day and 2 hours of small group study, so we are completely done most days at noon! and i'm not totally sure about this, but it sounds like there's a 2-3 hour clinical course once or twice a week as well...i really like to study on my own, so this environment is perfect for me. plus the lectures are posted online which is AWESOME...ummm...and as far as the clinical years, the hospital is amazing and the match list is really strong for a state school. so all in all, i couldn't ask for anything more :)

good luck making your choice!

neuropower said:
hey guys
what do we need to be doing to make sure we get our loans? i already accepted my "awards" (i.e. loans, 2 staffords and 6K in private) on the website, but what is the next step? if we already chose a lender on that additional form on SURFS, are we good to go? will they just send us a check in august?

I've accepted my loans and chosen a lender as well... and I think that's all we're supposed to do for now. I remember for undergrad I had to send in my taxes, but I don't know if UMD makes us do that as well.

Have y'all already sent in your official transcripts? That is one little detail you might forget.

Oh yay.. so you'll definitely be in silver spring? Right by the metro? I've been timing how long it takes to get to school from silver spring. Both times it took me 35 minutes. So if you're by the metro it'll take you about 45 minutes... more if you go during rush hour. I guess you'll get some good use out of your ipod :p

A question for those of you accepting stafford loans from UMD. I tried to do some research on which lender to choose. Some of the lenders on the list charge origination fees for administering the loan. Basically, this means that they take a given percentage of the loan money upfront (3% I think) before you get the money. So, if you borrow $10,000, they take $300 and you are responsible to repay the full $10k. One of the lenders, Student loan xpress did not have any origination fees for UMD Students according to the customer service rep. that I spoke with on the phone. I chose them for this reason (I actually should get all of the money I borrow). I wonder if any of you have any other usefull info. about choosing lenders and the pros/cons of any of them.

yessir said:
A question for those of you accepting stafford loans from UMD. I tried to do some research on which lender to choose. Some of the lenders on the list charge origination fees for administering the loan. Basically, this means that they take a given percentage of the loan money upfront (3% I think) before you get the money. So, if you borrow $10,000, they take $300 and you are responsible to repay the full $10k. One of the lenders, Student loan xpress did not have any origination fees for UMD Students according to the customer service rep. that I spoke with on the phone. I chose them for this reason (I actually should get all of the money I borrow). I wonder if any of you have any other usefull info. about choosing lenders and the pros/cons of any of them.

I chose a lender not on the list: THE/Northstar. They have no fees and a lot of sdners use them. THE also gives you a 1.3% (or maybe it way .75%.. i don't remember) rebate if you pay your loans on time. Some lenders will disqualify you for the rebate if you defer your loans, but THE doesn't. They also have really great customer service. Oh, and one more important thing - they don't capitalize the interest on your loans while you are still in school.... so you won't be paying interest on your interest.

For those still waiting to hear back from Maryland, I just called and they said that we should be getting a letter next week letting us know where we stand.

LucidSplash said:
Thanks for the infor naach. Here's hoping next week actually comes this time :)

Me too, Lucid! And hopefully, all of us will receive GOOD NEWS! Let me know if anyone gets anything anytime soon, and I'll do the same. :)

tinkerbelle said:
I've accepted my loans and chosen a lender as well... and I think that's all we're supposed to do for now. I remember for undergrad I had to send in my taxes, but I don't know if UMD makes us do that as well.

Have y'all already sent in your official transcripts? That is one little detail you might forget.

Oh yay.. so you'll definitely be in silver spring? Right by the metro? I've been timing how long it takes to get to school from silver spring. Both times it took me 35 minutes. So if you're by the metro it'll take you about 45 minutes... more if you go during rush hour. I guess you'll get some good use out of your ipod :p

yeah, we'll be right by the metro! i'm excited to be living in downtown SS...it's so nice now!
yeah, i'm figuring 45 minutes too...

i had no idea about these hidden fees! the woman at the finaid office said they are all exactly the same! ooh that makes me mad...i wonder if it's too late to change? i picked bankofamerica through sallie mae since salliemae mangages my school loans and b of a is my bank, but otherwise it was a totally arbitrary pick...

and thanks for the transcript reminder, i totally forgot!

Does anyone know when maryland is sending out a waitlist decision or rejection or possible acceptance letter? I interviewed w/ them in Feb, still haven't heard back?

The wait is killing me!
Thanx !

neuropower said:
yeah, we'll be right by the metro! i'm excited to be living in downtown SS...it's so nice now!
yeah, i'm figuring 45 minutes too...

i had no idea about these hidden fees! the woman at the finaid office said they are all exactly the same! ooh that makes me mad...i wonder if it's too late to change? i picked bankofamerica through sallie mae since salliemae mangages my school loans and b of a is my bank, but otherwise it was a totally arbitrary pick...

and thanks for the transcript reminder, i totally forgot!

make sure you don't have ALL of your student loans through the same lender - or when you consolidate you'll be limited by the single lender rule.

i called MD this week and the woman i spoke to said that we should be getting a letter next week. I asked specifically if any acceptance letters would be mailed out next week, and she said no...we would only hear of our waitlist status. But, considering that May 15 is sunday, spots would open up by next week... i'm hoping she didnt know what she was talking about. if someone is willing to call and ask again, i think it would really help a lot of people out....(myself included...the wait is killing me too!!!!) :(

mad_scientist said:
i called MD this week and the woman i spoke to said that we should be getting a letter next week. I asked specifically if any acceptance letters would be mailed out next week, and she said no...we would only hear of our waitlist status. But, considering that May 15 is sunday, spots would open up by next week... i'm hoping she didnt know what she was talking about. if someone is willing to call and ask again, i think it would really help a lot of people out....(myself included...the wait is killing me too!!!!) :(

Yeah, calling there can be really frustrating. I called last month and was told something, then called again last week and was told something totally different! I mentioned the discrepancy, and she told me the woman before didnt know what she was talking about. Why have someone answer the phones if they dont know what they are talking about!! Anyways, enough of the rant.... the point of my story is that "Kathy", who I spoke to last friday (who apparantly DID know what she was talking about), said that the last admissions committee meeting was on May 2nd, and they were rushing to get the letters out ASAP. Most like they will all be our waitlist rank, but Im pretty sure she said there MAY be a few acceptances. I dont think we will hear about being off the waitlist since these decisions were made almost 2 weeks before the May 15th deadline... Soooo long story short, we should expect to hear by early next week. I will post when I hear, and if you guys could do the same, that would be great!

bluefly said:
Does anyone know when maryland is sending out a waitlist decision or rejection or possible acceptance letter? I interviewed w/ them in Feb, still haven't heard back?

The wait is killing me!
Thanx !

Bluefly, Maryland hasn't gotten back to you at all after your Feb interview? I interviewed in Feb also, but was put on hold, and now am waiting for MD's next response. You should have gotten an initial response after your interview by now, either an acceptance, waitlist, rejection, or "hold" like me. You should definitely call them and see what's up. By now, I think they've already re-reviewed many students. I'd call them asap!

To everyone else, so none of us will get accepted next week? well THAT SUCKS. Someone specifically told me last month that some of us will get accepted and some will get put on the waitlist. I hate being lied to. Is it just me or do we all get different responses to the same questions when we call? :mad:

naach83 said:
Bluefly, Maryland hasn't gotten back to you at all after your Feb interview? I interviewed in Feb also, but was put on hold, and now am waiting for MD's next response. You should have gotten an initial response after your interview by now, either an acceptance, waitlist, rejection, or "hold" like me. You should definitely call them and see what's up. By now, I think they've already re-reviewed many students. I'd call them asap!

I'd second that. One of my friends interviewed in like April and he at least recieved an initital response... so you should definitely call since you interviewed much earlier.

At any rate, I hope y'all hear some good news soon :luck: :luck:

neuropower said:

I don't think it's too late.. they haven't even disbursed your loan yet.

Yea, I was also put on hold right after my interview. But I finally called today, the lady told me that nobody on hold got an acceptance. =(

bluefly said:
Yea, I was also put on hold right after my interview. But I finally called today, the lady told me that nobody on hold got an acceptance. =(

That's true. There were not any acceptances from the last meeting. There were something like 220 people still holding acceptances to UMB (for a class of 150). So, that being said - everyone should expect to be put on the waitlist or be rejected from the "hold" list. I'm not sure if there will be any rejections - perhaps everyone from the hold list will be put into the waitlist. But, I've heard that the hold list was very large. The waitlist is tiered into 3 groups. Those in the last tier are HIGHLY unlikely to get accepted and the 2nd tier are not that likely either.

If the office wasn't moving locations, I'm sure that the letters from that meeting would have been sent last week. But, now that May 15th is coming - some "accept" letters MIGHT be mailed (these would have been waitlisted but since time has ellapsed - an accept letter may be mailed instead). HOWEVER, keep in mind that the number of people holding accepts must drop before any new accepts get mailed.

Good luck everyone. I'm trying to give as current info as possible. But, alas, I finish my last basic science exam tomorrow and its hasta luego until after the boards on June 27.

cytoskelement said:
That's true. There were not any acceptances from the last meeting. There were something like 220 people still holding acceptances to UMB (for a class of 150). So, that being said - everyone should expect to be put on the waitlist or be rejected from the "hold" list. I'm not sure if there will be any rejections - perhaps everyone from the hold list will be put into the waitlist. But, I've heard that the hold list was very large. The waitlist is tiered into 3 groups. Those in the last tier are HIGHLY unlikely to get accepted and the 2nd tier are not that likely either.

If the office wasn't moving locations, I'm sure that the letters from that meeting would have been sent last week. But, now that May 15th is coming - some "accept" letters MIGHT be mailed (these would have been waitlisted but since time has ellapsed - an accept letter may be mailed instead). HOWEVER, keep in mind that the number of people holding accepts must drop before any new accepts get mailed.

Good luck everyone. I'm trying to give as current info as possible. But, alas, I finish my last basic science exam tomorrow and its hasta luego until after the boards on June 27.

thanks for keeping us updated cyto. you've been a big help. :thumbup: good luck with your boards! :luck:

Thanks for all your insight, cytoskelement! You really have been a great help this admissions season.

I hope you rock Step I!

Thanks a lot cyto, I really appreciate all the updated info. Goodluck on the boards, I'm sure you'll do great!