***Official Texas Tech-Foster SOM (El Paso) Class of 2013 Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a thread for all of us who're looking at going to TT-El Paso next fall! I really feel good about this school, with their innovative curriculum and unique clinical opportunities... but I know we've all got a tough decision to make... so jump in and let's get a conversation going!:hardy::hardy::hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey GoSpursGo,

It's the Mexican dinner buddy! I dug up the old login name and I'm so glad we both got in! So do you think covering tuition and fees means full scholarship? It's not explicitly stated. BTW- Congrats on the acceptances! :thumbup:

Hey that's cool that we both got in! :) Congrats to you too!

I do think that "full tuition and fees" pretty much equals full scholarship... unfortunately, the big source of expenses in med school always winds up being housing and living expenses, and I'd be pretty shocked to hear that we got help in those departments. But still, coming out with that much less debt would be HUGE!!! And if they DID have some sort of assistance-program to help us cover living expenses through our scholarship, that would just be even sweeter... man, it sure would be awesome to come out of med school with just undergrad loans to pay back :)

Anyways... I'm very excited about El Paso, maybe we'll get to start up there together next fall :) Where else are you still looking at?

Members don't see this ad :)
Count me in too...This looks like it could be a great opportunity...High risk, high reward. Good luck to all of us.

i interviewed last thursday and was accepted on friday! talk about quick turn around! initially i was very excited about this school but as the days pass i'm becoming a little more nervous about being the guinea pig class. what do you guys think? i'm leaning more towards lubbock now but i still have one more interview and that could throw my decision off too!

i interviewed last thursday and was accepted on friday! talk about quick turn around! initially i was very excited about this school but as the days pass i'm becoming a little more nervous about being the guinea pig class. what do you guys think? i'm leaning more towards lubbock now but i still have one more interview and that could throw my decision off too!

I interviewed on 11/6, so I was surprised as well. My Pre-med advisor said that she is pretty confident about the level of education that will be given there. I feel about a million times better about it now than I did before my interview.

Then when they offered me the scholarship, I am having a hard time justifying turning it down to go to anything other that a top ranked school. The idea of being able to be the trailblazing class that sets up the student run clinic and all of the organizations and all of the other special events, is really exciting, and I feel pretty good about it. I am still waiting to hear from UTSW and Baylor, but other than that, I feel like I am headed west.

i'm really having a hard time deciding. can we discuss the pros/cons about el paso?

here's my quick list:

Pros:
New program
great facilities
great simulation labs
Lots of attention from faculty...practically 1:1 student:faculty ratio
Brand new curriculum – potentially resulting in great board scores
Despite the hard work – being able to start up new organizations
Spending 4 years in the same place
great location for clinical experience.
small class size - we'll either all be great friends or it will be super competitive
potentially being fluent in spanish at the end of 4 years

Cons:
El paso..proximity to juarez
i'm not fluent in spanish
New curriculum could flop
Funding? How are we certain they have the funds to keep our class going?
Starting up the new organizations and such – a lot of work
Reputation and getting good residencies
lack of upperclassmen to get advice from regarding classes

questions:
did anyone ask about grading? is it pass/fail or pass/fail/honors or what? also, is it going to be \similiar to the block scheduling at TTU-lubbock...where they only have one exam at a time? i want to avoid "exam weeks" with 5 exams in a 5 day span.

I can only report what I have been told, but learning spanish is part of the curriculum, and they don't expect you to be fluent in spanish, because you will learn enough to be functional.

Also, I have done a little research because I was really concerned about the proximity to juarez, but what they told us was that as long as you stay in America and don't venture too far into Juarez, you shouldn't worry too much about it. This was backed up by research that my girlfriend did, El Paso is one of the safer cities of it's size. I can get the exact links if you want, but that is what I heard.

Also, I had some questions today, so I called Dr. Schydlower this afternoon and we spent about 40 minutes on the phone talking about the program. My questions were specifically about the scholarship and how it will affect getting loans for living expenses. We also talked about how they designed the Clinical Skills course to mirror the CF section of the USMLE Step 2.

Moral of the story being that if you want to get answers to some of these questions, don't hesitate to call Dr. Schydlower because he is very willing to talk about it. Maybe if we alternate people calling he won't get tired of one of us calling all of the time.

Your questions are some that I had as well, but after 40 minutes of talking to him, I figured he had other things to do, so I let him go, but I would like to hear the answers, I seem to remember there being a block system discussed on interview day. The funding question is also a valid concern I think.

I also think that there are Tech-Lubbock 3rd and 4th years in El Paso that would be willing to help us out. Some of them came to my interview day and they seemed very friendly and willing to help out, so I think we would have a little help in that way and help setting up the organizations and such.

If anyone gets any answers, post them here.

I got back with Dr. Schydlower and he said that they are going to use a pass/fail system for grading.

For testing: they are giving what is called a "formative" test at the end of each week to make sure that the material that was supposed to be learned that week was learned. These tests ARE NOT used to assign grades for the block and are overseen by the College Masters. Then, at the end of each block, you will take one Summative test that will be used to assign grades for that block and it will incorporate all of the biochem, anatomy, physiology, pathology etc. covered in that particular block.

They are an accredited medical school, so a good amount of their funding comes straight from the state of Texas, so the only way that the school could go under or suffer is if the whole state of Texas goes under, according to Dr. Schydlower.

He also said that they would leave a lot of the decision making as far as organizations and that sort of thing to the incoming class, but they historically have used 3rd and 4th year Tech-Lubbock students in some of their decisions and figures they will probably start using their students for that and the student affairs division will work closely with the elected class president and other leadership to develop a great program.

I don't know...Dr. Schydlower, is calming a lot of my fears about this place...we will see...He's a good salesman I guess.

i'm really having a hard time deciding. can we discuss the pros/cons about el paso?

here's my quick list:

Pros:
New program
great facilities
great simulation labs
Lots of attention from faculty...practically 1:1 student:faculty ratio
Brand new curriculum – potentially resulting in great board scores
Despite the hard work – being able to start up new organizations
Spending 4 years in the same place
great location for clinical experience.
small class size - we'll either all be great friends or it will be super competitive
potentially being fluent in spanish at the end of 4 years

Cons:
El paso..proximity to juarez
i'm not fluent in spanish
New curriculum could flop
Funding? How are we certain they have the funds to keep our class going?
Starting up the new organizations and such – a lot of work
Reputation and getting good residencies
lack of upperclassmen to get advice from regarding classes

questions:
did anyone ask about grading? is it pass/fail or pass/fail/honors or what? also, is it going to be \similiar to the block scheduling at TTU-lubbock...where they only have one exam at a time? i want to avoid "exam weeks" with 5 exams in a 5 day span.

I'm one of the current 3rd years from TT in El Paso. I agree with some of your cons, but others I wouldn't worry about. Yes, not knowing spanish can be a pain at times, and there may be a lack of organizations at the beginning. Then again, you can add to your resume that you started an organization.

The Juarez issue is a non-factor besides that we don't have a medical mission trip there anymore. However, we have one this year in a Mexican city just across from Presidio (little city in TX). I'm excited about this and will go if I can.

Despite what many say, the curriculum is very similar to the one in Lubbock. They changed the names of things, added a Spanish course, tweaked the amount of time on 3rd year rotations, etc. Very minor. The curriculum is sound.

Funding? I'm no expert here, but I've never heard of an US M.D. school failing because of funding. There is a huge shortage of docs in TX, and if anything, there will be funding to increase the Foster class to 100+ as quickly as possible. Just look at Texas A&M and how quickly they are growing now. They may even try to open another school in Temple (rumors).

Reputation could be a very minor factor, but it has the Texas Tech name. Medical school is what you make of it. Study hard, score well on Step 1, and you can go anywhere you want from Tech. I have numerous examples if you want specifics.

When yall are first years, you will have us as 3rd and 4th years. Granted we won't have the exact same curriculum or the exact same faculty, but you can still ask us about books, starting organizations, what to do b/w year I-II, research, etc. We've all been there.

I hope to see you all soon!

i spoke with dr. schydlower for about 40min yesterday evening and he was happy to address all of my concerns/questions about the school. he actually gave me his home phone number! what a great dean! i think i'm going to ponder/pray about all of this for about a week and then make my choice. i see no point in holding on to multiple offers until january.

I'm interested in how el paso is going to work out, I'm excited that Tech is expanding. I'm sure the profs lectures and curriculum will be based off our Lubbock version, you stole some of our profs. The best thing about the school being new for you guys is that the block leaders will be very open to suggestions and feedback so they can make it more suitable for you and the years after.

i spoke with dr. schydlower for about 40min yesterday evening and he was happy to address all of my concerns/questions about the school. he actually gave me his home phone number! what a great dean! i think i'm going to ponder/pray about all of this for about a week and then make my choice. i see no point in holding on to multiple offers until january.

He is an AMAZING guy!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to say hi to some possible classmates (I am also considering offers from UTMB and San Antonio)!

I loved El Paso's Medical School Building... it doesn't get more state-of-the-art than that! But I am a little hesitant about the tiny class size. And I thought they said that they were not going to host Lubbock 3rd and 4th year students when they started up the school. Did I get that wrong?

Also, does anyone know how many pre-match offers El Paso gave out?

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances!!
Audra

Audra,

I remember them saying at the interview that they would give out 35-50 prematch offers. I dont know if that number changed, but that's what I remember hearing. I'm hesitant about the small class size too, but then I started to think about the better opportunities that we would get to be leaders in such a small group. It would be much easier to become a class leader or start up an organization with a smaller class than it would be in a class of 220+. Just my opinion. Plus, I think everyone is really going to care about making sure we do well because it will help the school look better since they're brand new and have to "prove themselves" as a new medical school. Anyway, my point is that I'm getting really excited about El Paso! I'm still holding out for San Antonio and Houston so that I can be closer to home, but I'm sure I'll be happy at El Paso if that's where I decide to go. Hope this helped.

TexasPhysician,
I'm assuming you went to TCU because of your avatar. I wanted to ask you how you like living in El Paso compared to Fort Worth. I'm from Houston originally but I'm currently in grad school in Fort Worth and I love it here. I wanted to hear what someone who has also lived here too thinks about life in El Paso. Let me know. Thanks!

Audra,

I remember them saying at the interview that they would give out 35-50 prematch offers. I dont know if that number changed, but that's what I remember hearing. I'm hesitant about the small class size too, but then I started to think about the better opportunities that we would get to be leaders in such a small group. It would be much easier to become a class leader or start up an organization with a smaller class than it would be in a class of 220+. Just my opinion. Plus, I think everyone is really going to care about making sure we do well because it will help the school look better since they're brand new and have to "prove themselves" as a new medical school. Anyway, my point is that I'm getting really excited about El Paso! I'm still holding out for San Antonio and Houston so that I can be closer to home, but I'm sure I'll be happy at El Paso if that's where I decide to go. Hope this helped.

TexasPhysician,
I'm assuming you went to TCU because of your avatar. I wanted to ask you how you like living in El Paso compared to Fort Worth. I'm from Houston originally but I'm currently in grad school in Fort Worth and I love it here. I wanted to hear what someone who has also lived here too thinks about life in El Paso. Let me know. Thanks!

I actually have about the same background as you. I was born/grew up in Houston too. I like EP, but it doesn't have Billy Bob's or TCU football. EP has much less traffic than Houston/Dallas. It does have lots of outdoor fun all around though. There is decent skiing less than 3 hours away, a lake that rents out boats/jet skis only 2 hours away, plenty of hiking/biking spots, and lots of mountain climbing. Some of my classmates have already entered mountain climbing competitions out here. There is also great hunting in the area. It does lack professional sports teams and the nightlife isn't as great as Houston/Fort Worth. Cost of living is much cheaper than Houston/Fort Worth. I can rent a 4 bedroom house in EP 8 minutes from campus for cheaper than a nice 1bedroom apartment in Houston. I take the extra money I save from living in a cheaper city and go the lake/ski slopes a couple times every year. Comparing my schedule to friends at UT-SA and UT-H, TT definitely has less call during 3rd-4th year. So if you really enjoy things besides medicine, TT is a great choice. If you really like call, I'm sure they'd let you do more of it if you asked - just in case you are one of those people that breathe medicine.

I really love Fort Worth, and I will probably end up practicing there after residency. If Fort Worth had an MD school, I'd probably still be there, but Lubbock/El Paso are great college towns with lots of stuff to do.

For those that don't know, Texas Tech has started up medical mission trips in Mexico again this year - just not in Juarez.

Hey all, I just wanted to say:

1) Congratulations. You're acceptance means a lot. It's prestigious.

2) You'd be making the right choice, in my opinion.

El Paso is among the top 20 most populated cities in the country. Beyond that, it's a border city. Your medical expertise relies on experience, and El Paso will deliver. Texas Tech has served West Texas for decades. Some students may fear that a new school will lack "experience". Put any fears to rest, the Foster School of Medicine will be headed by experienced Texas Tech faculty and new researchers from across the country.

The class of 2010 at TTUHSC Lubbock just had a 100% pass rate on the Step 1. What more pep-talk do you need? The Foster School of Medicine is part of the Texas Tech system and will certainly reach the quality standards of its sister school in Lubbock.

I'm in the class of 2011 at TTUHSC Lubbock. I'll see you in El Paso.

Hey guys! Im new to this SDN forum but felt that I should contribute since I am an El Paso native and future MS1 at Foster SOM.

Ive lived and grew up in EL Paso and can tell you that it is a great city. Although it does lack the entertainment that other large cities have, it has many pros to it.

Regarding Juarez, you have no worries. What happens in Juarez stays in Juarez. You only have to worry if you need to go there (which none of you should need to) I have never been robbed, mugged, or had anything bad happen to me in El Paso my entire life. And I go out a lot and go all over the city.

Another good thing is how cheap it is to live here. For $600-$800 monthly rent you can live like a king...or queen! What you find in El Paso for even $400 would be equal to about $800 in cities like Dallas or Houston.

I am currently doing research at the new school and can answer a lot of questions regarding faculty and anything else.

Please let me know what you guys think, I just want to contribute as much as I can to make sure I have some great, well rounded, and fun classmates.

Talk to you all soon!

Regarding Juarez, you have no worries. What happens in Juarez stays in Juarez.

Seems others beg to differ. When I interviewed at Texas Tech El Paso, the ER Head Nurse at Thomason Hospital during the tour talked about the increasing drug cartel violence in Juarez and how victims of that violence are being transported to Thomason Hospital...the bad thing he said is that there have been times where the drug cartel assassins have come to Thomason Hospital and attempt to "finish the job." He mentioned that security at the hospital increases dramatically depending on who the patients are at the time for that very reason.

A week ago this Newsweek article documenting the problems in Juarez and how they spill over to Thomason Hospital and El Paso came out. And the consensus seems to be things will get worse before they get better. http://www.newsweek.com/id/171251?tid=relatedcl

Yes, there is reason to be excited about the new med school. I have been accepted pre-match to El Paso (not going), but let's also keep it real. El Paso/Juarez will present a dynamic no other medical school has to contend with--and that's not necessarily a compliment.

I personally wouldn't be too concerned about the Juarez aspect; the bottom line for me is that it's a school with a very good faculty that will be personally vested in the success of the inaugural class. I was seriously considering it alongside UTMB, and although I don't think I can realistically justify going there over Baylor even with the full ride, I really think Dr. Schydelower knows what he's doing over there and I'm sure the people who do elect to go there will get an excellent education. Just use some common sense and don't walk around certain parts of town at night alone and I think it will be roughly as safe as any other school.

Seems others beg to differ. When I interviewed at Texas Tech El Paso, the ER Head Nurse at Thomason Hospital during the tour talked about the increasing drug cartel violence in Juarez and how victims of that violence are being transported to Thomason Hospital...the bad thing he said is that there have been times where the drug cartel assassins have come to Thomason Hospital and attempt to "finish the job." He mentioned that security at the hospital increases dramatically depending on who the patients are at the time for that very reason.

A week ago this Newsweek article documenting the problems in Juarez and how they spill over to Thomason Hospital and El Paso came out. And the consensus seems to be things will get worse before they get better. http://www.newsweek.com/id/171251?tid=relatedcl

Yes, there is reason to be excited about the new med school. I have been accepted pre-match to El Paso (not going), but let's also keep it real. El Paso/Juarez will present a dynamic no other medical school has to contend with--and that's not necessarily a compliment.

Scared much? I won't argue that Juarez is safe because it isn't. However, don't be deceived into thinking that El Paso is dangerous. El Paso was ranked the 2nd safest city with a population over $500,000 and was given this award less than 1 year ago. Fort Bliss is located right down the road and provides us with plenty of safety.

Do you think it makes sense for the largest drug cartel in the US to start an international war? There is a reason that drug battles don't cross the border. The cartel does not need added restraints into US territory or added military to protect the area. Numbers are estimated that the cartel pulls in up to $200 million/week. They won't compromise this.

Dallas is considered a much more dangerous city than El Paso. Johns Hopkins has had students murdered on campus. The "new" tramway in downtown Houston has had multiple crashes with many injuries (go to med school there and expect to ride this). Galveston has hurricanes and floods. Every city has its dangers, but claiming El Paso is worse because we've had to add security at 1 hospital is ridiculous.

Scared much? I won't argue that Juarez is safe because it isn't. However, don't be deceived into thinking that El Paso is dangerous.

"Scared much?, seriously, is this junior high? I was repeating what the head ER nurse at Thomason Hospital who has been there for 12 years (don't have his name, go find him) told us during the tour. This isn't about being scared, it's about the situation that exists there, and whether you're a medical student at Paul Foster, a resident of El Paso, or simply a U.S. citizen, it's disturbing. Burying your head in the sand isn't going to make it go away. Is this something that you'll have to confront everyday? Of course not. But is this something anybody choosing to go to the new school should think about. Absolutely. Having said that, I'm not coming to your fine institution, no love loss on my end and I'm sure there will be none lost on yours.

Every city has its dangers, but claiming El Paso is worse because we've had to add security at 1 hospital is ridiculous.

Please point out where I made this claim. Oh, that's right, you can't because I didn't which apparently leaves you feeling ridiculous all alone. Don't get all hurt because some people don't wear rose-colored sun glasses.

Paul Foster will be a good school, that's not in question, although it is new. I just wouldn't go there unless it was my only option for a multitude of reasons I won't flesh out for you but I'm sure you've considered yourself. The beauty of Texas is there are so many med schools to choose from most people will find their "right fit" school. Good luck.

"Scared much?, seriously, is this junior high? I was repeating what the head ER nurse at Thomason Hospital who has been there for 12 years (don't have his name, go find him) told us during the tour. This isn't about being scared, it's about the situation that exists there, and whether you're a medical student at Paul Foster, a resident of El Paso, or simply a U.S. citizen, it's disturbing. Burying your head in the sand isn't going to make it go away. Is this something that you'll have to confront everyday? Of course not. But is this something anybody choosing to go to the new school should think about. Absolutely. Having said that, I'm not coming to your fine institution, no love loss on my end and I'm sure there will be none lost on yours.

haha, ok I'll "go find him" and then report back to my junior high science teacher. I just don't want you taking the opinion of 2 people and writing it off as fact. There are seriously thousands of factors to take into account when choosing a med school. Safety is definitely important, but you are confusing safety with fear. There have been no safety issues as of yet because of this issue (that I'm aware of) and its been an issue for awhile. The safety issues are in Juarez.

UTSW is in the ghetto "red light" district of Dallas. A couple of my friends there joke with me about the prostitutes that "live on campus." The Houston schools are in a traffic nightmare. UTMB has actual hurricanes that kill hundreds of people. None of these things would keep me from attending these schools.

Sure I can fear that all these things will affect me, but what are the odds that they will? Its not that I won't confront the Juarez issue everyday.....its that I may "never" confront it.

If you don't want to come to the Paul Foster SOM, that is fine. I would much prefer you to be happy no matter where you go. I just don't think you should turn down an institution based on 1 nurse and 1 drama-filled article. If El Paso was actually a "dangerous" city, I would have chosen Amarillo or Lubbock instead of ranking El Paso #1.

If you don't want to come to the Paul Foster SOM, that is fine. I would much prefer you to be happy no matter where you go. I just don't think you should turn down an institution based on 1 nurse and 1 drama-filled article. If El Paso was actually a "dangerous" city, I would have chosen Amarillo or Lubbock instead of ranking El Paso #1.

If you think that "1 nurse and 1 drama-filled article" are the main reason I am not going to choose Paul Foster you are sadly mistaken. Most people that will choose not to go to Paul Foster will do so based on the fact they got into schools they deem to be "better" regardless of the scholarship money the school is throwing out to buy their first class. I see that starting a discussion about the situation brewing in Juarez and El Paso hits a sore spot, that's understandable since you've got to "stand up" for "your" school. Personally, I don't think it's THAT bad, but it's more than some people care for and won't have to give thought to at other schools. And about ranking where you'd want to do your clinical years, I'd rather be in one place for my entire four years. Paul Foster won't have trouble finding eager students. Good luck to all.

If you think that "1 nurse and 1 drama-filled article" are the main reason I am not going to choose Paul Foster you are sadly mistaken. Most people that will choose not to go to Paul Foster will do so based on the fact they got into schools they deem to be "better" regardless of the scholarship money the school is throwing out to buy their first class. I see that starting a discussion about the situation brewing in Juarez and El Paso hits a sore spot, that's understandable since you've got to "stand up" for "your" school. Personally, I don't think it's THAT bad, but it's more than some people care for and won't have to give thought to at other schools. And about ranking where you'd want to do your clinical years, I'd rather be in one place for my entire four years. Paul Foster won't have trouble finding eager students. Good luck to all.

I appreciate your honesty, but Paul Foster isn't my school. TT-Lubbock and Paul Foster - EP are as similar as UTMB and UT-SA. I'm just explaining the facts to those that have an interest in the school. I'm sorry you don't have the interest that many others do, but being that you don't want to be part of the Paul Foster Class of 2013 or contribute valuable advise to those that do, I think you are on the wrong thread.

Like I said before, I have lived in El Paso all my life, went to college there and never had any problems or trouble. I spent 2 summers on fellowship at Johns Hopkins and TCUPhysician is correct, students have been mugged and/or murdered.

Plus, I can promise some of the best pathology and cases in the country. I know Thomason does not rank near TCM or Parkland Hospital, but it will definitely present some great cases to work with.

Message me or post about any questions, including areas where there might be good apartments or condos. I am planning on getting a bunch of activities and things to do for all of us when you all come to EP in the summer.

I look forward to showing you all the great parts of the city and how unique it is.

Keep this in mind...

Elephant Butte is 2 hours away if you like to do water sports

Ruiodoso is 2.5 hours away to go skiing, fishing, hunting

Hueco Tanks is ranked #2 in the world for bouldering and in the top 5 for rock climbing.

There are many many more great things! Plus, the technology at Foster is at least 3 years ahead of the rest of the country. I do research there so that is why I make this claim.

I didnt even see facilities like this at other prestigious institutes around the country.

Talk to you all soon

Cujo claims that Foster is trying to 'buy' its first class. umm, i wish! i got a pre-match offer from these guys, but no scholarships and/or full ride. I have another offer, but does anyone on this thread have any idea why I havn't been offered any scholarships? simply put: what criteria is foster using to offer scholarships? i would totally go there if they offered scholarship money or a full ride, but if they don't, i might as well go to the other texas school to which i have an offer. i actually like foster more than a&m and the ut schools, so i'm kinda hurt i havnt been able to get a scholarship. please advise on how I could obtain scholarship money from foster. thanks

UTSW is in the ghetto "red light" district of Dallas. A couple of my friends there joke with me about the prostitutes that "live on campus."

this is a bit extreme...i must defend dallas and UTSW. i worked full time on the south campus of UTSW (which is where the med school is) and it is not that bad. is it somewhere you want to go walking around at night?...not likely. but i walked to and from the same parking garage that all the students park in dozens of times really late at night or really early in the morning and never had any problems. personally, i think your much more likely to have your laptop or purse stolen inside UTSW than to get harassed by someone outside.

having prematched to el paso...here's my take. #1 reason i'm not attending is because it's a brand new school and i think there are going to be significant bumps along the way. med school is hard enough and i don't want to have to deal with any extra stress. #2 safety/location - regardless of el paso's ranking on the safest cities list it is steps from an incredibly dangerous place. there's no way you can convince me that there is not spill over into el paso. i think there is a much greater chance of a significant increase in violence in el paso than in any other texas city (excluding other border towns) in the next 5 years. it's an unstable environment and in no way can you be certain that things won't escalate to a point which negatively affects your education.

just my thoughts.

Cujo claims that Foster is trying to 'buy' its first class. umm, i wish! i got a pre-match offer from these guys, but no scholarships and/or full ride. I have another offer, but does anyone on this thread have any idea why I havn't been offered any scholarships? simply put: what criteria is foster using to offer scholarships? i would totally go there if they offered scholarship money or a full ride, but if they don't, i might as well go to the other texas school to which i have an offer. i actually like foster more than a&m and the ut schools, so i'm kinda hurt i havnt been able to get a scholarship. please advise on how I could obtain scholarship money from foster. thanks

You can always call the admissions dept and ask. I've heard rumors that there are 20 scholarships for 40 students. Odds are they have offered twenty-some scholarships, and are waiting to hear if these students accept their offers or not. I hope it works out for you, but I have no idea how they make their decisions on these things.

this is a bit extreme...i must defend dallas and UTSW. i worked full time on the south campus of UTSW (which is where the med school is) and it is not that bad. is it somewhere you want to go walking around at night?...not likely. but i walked to and from the same parking garage that all the students park in dozens of times really late at night or really early in the morning and never had any problems. personally, i think your much more likely to have your laptop or purse stolen inside UTSW than to get harassed by someone outside.

having prematched to el paso...here's my take. #1 reason i'm not attending is because it's a brand new school and i think there are going to be significant bumps along the way. med school is hard enough and i don't want to have to deal with any extra stress. #2 safety/location - regardless of el paso's ranking on the safest cities list it is steps from an incredibly dangerous place. there's no way you can convince me that there is not spill over into el paso. i think there is a much greater chance of a significant increase in violence in el paso than in any other texas city (excluding other border towns) in the next 5 years. it's an unstable environment and in no way can you be certain that things won't escalate to a point which negatively affects your education.

just my thoughts.

I agree with you in that UTSW isn't that bad either. Many friends from my alma mater go to UTSW, and that was their description. I'm actually really considering going to UTSW for residency. I love the DFW area.

You are probably right that EP has the greatest risk of increased violence in Texas over the next some-odd years. It is a border town after all. No one knows how things will go over the next 5 years, but if I had to choose my clinical location over again, nothing has yet to happen that would make me change my mind. The benefits of fantastic pathology still outweigh any cartel risks so far.....in my opinion.

I wouldn't worry much about curriculum. It is similar to the one in Lubbock, but after talking to friends in med schools all across the state, every school has curriculum quirks. Curriculi (curriculums??) are constantly being tweaked at every school to make things better. If others are still worried about these things, I'd call admissions/student affairs and ask about what/who has been put in place to address curriculum issues. I know that TT Class of 2010 and UTSW 2009 classes have fought against changes in grading scales and won. At TT, we also changed some of the early clinical experiences in 2nd year for the better.

My main concern with going here is that we'll be at a severe disadvantage to applicants from other Texas med schools when it comes to residencies. Isn't going to a brand new medical school a disadvantage for residency? residency directors like familiarity and going to a brand new medical school might be like going to caribbean, because residency programs are unfamiliar with the training you received. is there anyone on here that can calm my fears? i'm sooo excited about foster, but i'm worried about the ramifications of going to a brand new school when it comes to getting desirable residencies.

My main concern with going here is that we'll be at a severe disadvantage to applicants from other Texas med schools when it comes to residencies. Isn't going to a brand new medical school a disadvantage for residency? residency directors like familiarity and going to a brand new medical school might be like going to caribbean, because residency programs are unfamiliar with the training you received. is there anyone on here that can calm my fears? i'm sooo excited about foster, but i'm worried about the ramifications of going to a brand new school when it comes to getting desirable residencies.

I'm no program chair, but Paul Foster will have the Texas Tech name on it, so it shouldn't really surprise anyone. Otherwise, Step 1 & 2 equalize grades across the M.D. schools in the nation. Even if some school in ______ hasn't heard of Paul Foster, scoring well on your Step will get you an interview. Texas Tech has sent students to Mayo, UTSW, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, Boston U, UCSF, Duke, Emory, and UCLA for residency in the past 2 years.

I'm no program chair, but Paul Foster will have the Texas Tech name on it, so it shouldn't really surprise anyone. Otherwise, Step 1 & 2 equalize grades across the M.D. schools in the nation. Even if some school in ______ hasn't heard of Paul Foster, scoring well on your Step will get you an interview. Texas Tech has sent students to Mayo, UTSW, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, Boston U, UCSF, Duke, Emory, and UCLA for residency in the past 2 years.

See, that's the thing. Why must I have to 'score well' on my boards to get an interview when somebody from say Texas A&M can get the same interview without scoring as well? What are your thoughts on that? By the way, my choice is TTU-El Paso or Texas A&M. I prefer the environment in El Paso hands down, but I'm worried that I'll be at a disadvantage for residency compared with A&M graduates. Let me know what you think about the choice I have.

See, that's the thing. Why must I have to 'score well' on my boards to get an interview when somebody from say Texas A&M can get the same interview without scoring as well? What are your thoughts on that? By the way, my choice is TTU-El Paso or Texas A&M. I prefer the environment in El Paso hands down, but I'm worried that I'll be at a disadvantage for residency compared with A&M graduates. Let me know what you think about the choice I have.

You need to "score well" to get a competitive field no matter where you go to school.

If there was a disadvantage (and I don't think there will be at all), you'd have to compare Texas Tech-Foster to Harvard. In this case, it may be a good idea to score higher on Step 1 than the Harvard guy no matter where you go. I can't even imagine a situation where an A&M kid with lower scores would have an advantage over a Tech-Foster kid (or vise versa).

Taking your theory to the next level: A&M has had 2 people go into ophtho over a 2 year period. Tech had 3 last year. A&M has only had 2 people match plastic surgery since 1991. Tech has had 2 people match plastic surgery since 2006. A&M has 2 matching ortho surgery on average while Tech averages 5.
http://medicine.tamhsc.edu/student-affairs/residency.html
http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/studentaffairs/msiv/residency.aspx
Looking at this scenario, the Tech name is known much better around the nation than that of A&M - not saying this is important.......

Being honest, I don't think you can go wrong with either school. Med school is very dependent on how much "you" put into it. Get good scores and do a little research and the sky is the limit (regardless of what school you attend).

Thanks, Texas Physician. Your advice was reassuring. If anyone else has advice/thoughts, please feel free to contribute.

I was hoping that someone on here from TTU-Lubbock could talk about the pros and cons of doing clinical training in El Paso. Is it stressful with a lot more call than other places? Is knowing Spanish an essential (i.e. are you screwed if you don't speak a word of Spanish?)?

I've also heard someone say that you would need to use SPanish in El Paso just as much as you would if you did your clinical training in Houston or Dallas. Is that true?

I was hoping that someone on here from TTU-Lubbock could talk about the pros and cons of doing clinical training in El Paso. Is it stressful with a lot more call than other places? Is knowing Spanish an essential (i.e. are you screwed if you don't speak a word of Spanish?)?

I've also heard someone say that you would need to use SPanish in El Paso just as much as you would if you did your clinical training in Houston or Dallas. Is that true?

You will be using spanish in the El Paso clinics as much if not more than in Houston or Dallas. I interact with profs here at Foster all the time since I do research. In July, they are going to ease us into the curriculum with Society Community and Individual module. In it will be a medical spanish course.

Dont sweat it though! Although Im not a med student, I have been actively involved in the pathology scene in town. All I can say is that the pathology is so unique and amazing here are the border. I did a fellowship up at Johns Hopkins for 2 summers and saw nothing like what Im seeing down here. What a prof somewhere else in the country might have seen once in his/her lifetime you will be able to see maybe 1 or 2 times in your 4 years here in El Paso.

What are your choices down to? If you dont mind me asking :D

El Paso vs Lubbock/Amarillo: El Paso clinically is in the hospital more. You have more patients and more interesting patients. Call is supposed to be uniform across campuses, but call will be busier in El Paso. I wouldn't call it stressful, but you aren't just sitting around when you are in the hospital. Call at TT is lighter than some other schools in TX. My old roommate at UT-SA took call over Thanksgiving break. TT has NO mandatory call over holidays. If you like call, just ask and you shall gladly receive - I'm not sure who would do this though......

I don't know Spanish at all, and I'm doing fine in El Paso. Would it be nice? - of course. The plus: all the nurses are practically fluent and gladly translate for you if you ask. Sometimes I like not understanding because I can really practice my physical exam skills without being biased about the history. For the other times, I just grab a nurse. Along the way, you will pick up bits and pieces of Spanish. After 1 week of surgery, you will probably be able to pre-round in make-shift Spanish.

I'm sure you will hear more Spanish in El Paso compared to Houston/Dallas though. Odd thing: I had a patient recently who only spoke Serbian..? It was really funny trying English.....then basic Spanish.....then looking dumbfounded at the patient with him looking dumbfounded back at me. Luckily El Paso has a resident that speaks Serbian.......who would've known?

Thanks, Texas Physician. Your advice was reassuring. If anyone else has advice/thoughts, please feel free to contribute.

A suggestion I would have is that you call and talk to Dr. Schydlower if you haven't already. Every time I have called with questions, he has spent as much time as I needed discussing my questions and concerns, I would bet a good amount of money that if you called him during the week that he would be willing to give you his take on the curriculum, advantage/disadvantage of attending his new school, etc.

It looks like I am going to be what Cujo bitterly referred to as "bought" because I really like the facilities and the faculty and curriculum and everything about the school. There are lots of people who want to see this school succeed and so they will have plenty of resources to ensure the success of this first class and subsequent classes. The only thing A&M tried to sell to me was that their SIM center was better than the other schools and that the small class sizes will lead to more one-on-one attention. Well, at El Paso, their SIM center is heads and tails better than A&M's and with 40 people I can't imagine how much one-on-one attention we will get. They basically out-A&Med A&M. I am going to a second look in College Station, so maybe that will change my opinion.

Is El Paso giving full rides for its OOS acceptances??????
Do they have OOS acceptances yet??????
I'd really appreciate a response. This is very important to me.

Is El Paso giving full rides for its OOS acceptances??????
Do they have OOS acceptances yet??????
I'd really appreciate a response. This is very important to me.

My understanding was that they were going to accept 40 students for their first class and they were giving to scholarships to their top 20 students. I don't think there was ever a distinction made between IS and OOS for the scholarships. I don't know if they have send out any OOS offers with or without scholarships, but I imagine that if there was an OOS who was one of their top 20 choices, then they would receive the scholarship. I cannot, however, guarantee that.

Hope that helps.

MGM

It looks like I am going to be what Cujo bitterly referred to as "bought"

No bitterness on my part. I got a full-ride offer from TT-El Paso on Nov. 14th too. I turned them down. The only reason I gave them a closer look was because of the money, but seeing as how Texas has some of the best tuition in the nation, I'd rather go elsewhere and not be dealing with the worries you guys will as a first class, how residency directors will view your small group of 40, and did I mention cumulatve curriculum blows?

No bitterness on my part. I got a full-ride offer from TT-El Paso on Nov. 14th too. I turned them down. The only reason I gave them a closer look was because of the money, but seeing as how Texas has some of the best tuition in the nation, I'd rather go elsewhere and not be dealing with the worries you guys will as a first class, how residency directors will view your small group of 40, and did I mention cumulatve curriculum blows?
dude your negativety is getting reeaall oooold:sleep:

I don't see why everyone doesn't agree with you.....I mean you have tons of medical school experience and all. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I just talked to someone high up in admissions: So far there has been such a great acceptance rate from their top choice students that Foster may not match anybody come match day. I don't know if they were ever planning to use match day or not, but even if they do, it won't be many. So many accepted, that my source says people are worried that too many from their top group accepted that they may have to make room for slightly higher than 40. You all will be an outstanding bunch! Congrats!

*And no I can not reveal my source. I like my source too much!

People can have more than one acceptance until January 15 under the new rules so it doesn't surprise me that they have more than 40 people who have "accepted" , but that might change after the 15th, after which people can only accept one school.

People can have more than one acceptance until January 15 under the new rules so it doesn't surprise me that they have more than 40 people who have "accepted" , but that might change after the 15th, after which people can only accept one school.

This. I'm still holding my Foster's acceptance because I want to be SURE that I don't want their money, but I don't think I can say no to Baylor, no matter how much I like Foster's.

I still think Foster's is a great school with a bright future, and was seriously considering them over the established name of UTMB; I'm sure everyone there will do great!