***official suny downstate class of 2013!!!!!!!!*** <3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FOR RENT:

Awesome 1-bedroom apartment with 24-hour doorman security in a gated apartment complex with manicured lawns for rent across the street from Suny Downstate. (Lenox road and New York Avenue)

The many great features of the apartment (besides the jerk chicken stands, of course) includes the fact that it's located 2 short blocks away from the 2 and 5 trains (Winthrop or Church Avenue stop), it's across the street from SUNY Downstate Medical/Nursing school; it's a 5-minute walk to a busy shopping hub with chain stores like McD's, Dunkin Donuts, Walgreens, etc, and most important, for the "athletic types", it's walking distance (about 20-25 minutes) from Brooklyn Botanical Gardens and Prospect Park, which has horseback-riding trails, ice-skating and a zoo.

Specs:

$1275/month (requires deposit plus 1st month rent to move in)

Size: Roughly 800 square feet (Can convert the large living room/dining room into bedroom for a share with roommate)

24-hour doorman

Very sunny and quiet

Six laundry room (1 on every floor)

Newly renovated (granite countertops, new microwave/stove)

2 blocks away from subway station (2 and 5 trains)

Available: First week of August.

If interested, email me at [email protected] (Subject: Lenox Road Apartment so i don't accidentally delete it) to request appointment
Thanks!

Amina

Members don't see this ad.

Guys, just want to let you know that there are other options available. I personally think that living in the dorms is the way to go for first year--you get to know your classmates AND there's usually programming so there are nice study breaks available as well.

Just a piece about the dorms--the buildings are old and they do malfunction occasionally. It is not all rainbows and fluffy kittens. There are times when the hot water is shut off or the water is shut off entirely OR the fire alarm just goes on on Saturday morning/afternoon for no apparent reason. The higher ups will notify you if in advance if water shut-offs occur.

I lived in 825 last year and had some major problems with heat in the winter--no heat for a couple of weeks and a leaky radiator. Additionally there was a major flood on the lower floors of 825. If I could do it again, I probably would live in 811. My bf lived there and he didn't have any problems. (Well, except with his stove malfunctioning--but they replaced the whole shebang, so it's all good.)

That being said, living in either building is fine. The maintenance guys are great and the custodial stuff are really friendly (Ralph and Richard) and will fix stuff if you ask.

I'm living off campus next year (one block from school) with rent being less than $700/month so find some other people to live with to save money. I personally think paying $1275 for a one-bedroom is very expensive for this neighborhood. I would rather pay that much to live in Park Slope, where the variety and quality of food is much, much better.

FOR RENT:

Awesome 1-bedroom apartment with 24-hour doorman security in a gated apartment complex with manicured lawns for rent across the street from Suny Downstate. (Lenox road and New York Avenue)

The many great features of the apartment (besides the jerk chicken stands, of course) includes the fact that it's located 2 short blocks away from the 2 and 5 trains (Winthrop or Church Avenue stop), it's across the street from SUNY Downstate Medical/Nursing school; it's a 5-minute walk to a busy shopping hub with chain stores like McD's, Dunkin Donuts, Walgreens, etc, and most important, for the "athletic types", it's walking distance (about 20-25 minutes) from Brooklyn Botanical Gardens and Prospect Park, which has horseback-riding trails, ice-skating and a zoo.

Specs:

$1275/month (requires deposit plus 1st month rent to move in)

Size: Roughly 800 square feet (Can convert the large living room/dining room into bedroom for a share with roommate)

24-hour doorman

Very sunny and quiet

Six laundry room (1 on every floor)

Newly renovated (granite countertops, new microwave/stove)

2 blocks away from subway station (2 and 5 trains)

Available: First week of August.

If interested, email me at [email protected] (Subject: Lenox Road Apartment so i don't accidentally delete it) to request appointment
Thanks!

Amina

Hey guys, congrats on your acceptances.

I'm still on the alternate list at downstate (and holding out the slightest of hopes). I was just curious if you've got any idea of how many people are in the class at the moment. I'm guessing its full, but i was wondering if you had any confirmation, because i see that the facebook group has 144 kids...leaving some wiggle room perhaps over the next two weeks?

thanks for the help and congrats again

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, congrats on your acceptances.

I'm still on the alternate list at downstate (and holding out the slightest of hopes). I was just curious if you've got any idea of how many people are in the class at the moment. I'm guessing its full, but i was wondering if you had any confirmation, because i see that the facebook group has 144 kids...leaving some wiggle room perhaps over the next two weeks?

thanks for the help and congrats again

Hey JandH, as far as I know, based on the fb group (145 total), the current class size is 132 and the rest are upperclassmen and the matriculating class size should be around 183-190. Of course, there are also accepted people who didn't join the group, but other than that, waitlist movement is still going on, since someone recently got accepted off the waitlist. Good luck! :luck:

Thanks for the insight...

I guess if it works out great, if not at least i have an MD acceptance still :)