Official Sleep Medicine Fellowship 2020-2021 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spacebear

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! It seems like most of this forum is pretty quiet as of late. I'm hoping there are at least some people out there who are still browsing this rather "sleepy" forum. Anyone applying this year? Any helpful tips/recommendations about programs would be awesome.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m applying this year. A little nervous about the job market though.

Sleep has a struggling job market with COVID and even prior to COVID. I am applying only cause I like sleep, not worried about pay or job prospect. When does the sleep application review and interview invite begins? Timeline says program won't receive application until Aug 12. Is that True for sleep also?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sleep has a struggling job market with COVID and even prior to COVID. I am applying only cause I like sleep, not worried about pay or job prospect. When does the sleep application review and interview invite begins? Timeline says program won't receive application until Aug 12. Is that True for sleep also?
Do you plan on practicing sleep or just want the training?

It is the same for sleep. You can work on applications and even submit but programs won't start to review until Aug 12 (even if you submit prior to that date, applications will be time-stamped "Aug 12" when released).

I'm also a little nervous about job aspects but my original plan regardless was to maybe do half general peds (I'm a pediatric resident) and half sleep medicine (peds-focused if possible).

Where are you finding job postings for sleep medicine jobs?

Preparing my list of programs at this time. Any one know how the Baylor Program in Houston, Texas is now? There was a comment on here some years ago that was bashing on the program and how fellows are overworked, etc.

It would have been better if I would have waited little longer. I had non busy rotation last week so I went ahead and already applied.

The group has been remarkably silent. I am hoping to start hearing for interviews by the third week of this month.

It is the same for sleep. You can work on applications and even submit but programs won't start to review until Aug 12 (even if you submit prior to that date, applications will be time-stamped "Aug 12" when released).

I'm also a little nervous about job aspects but my original plan regardless was to maybe do half general peds (I'm a pediatric resident) and half sleep medicine (peds-focused if possible).
Hello. I'm a Peds resident too and applying this year. I recently spoke to one of the alumni at my program (She is now doing full time Peds Sleep, no adults), She said coming from Peds has its perks as most adult trained docs do no want to see kids so they'll always want a Peds Sleep person. I think in a year from now there should be more job openings.

Lets start compiling a list once we start receiving interviews. Hope we hear something by the end of this week. When would be match day for sleep fellowship? Is it the same as last year or things have changed because of COVID?

For those who applied or are thinking of applying to Children's Mercy in Kansas City, don't bother. Looks like they aren't participating in the Match this year because they've already filled that spot......despite their program still being listed in ERAS.

Match Day is Oct 28, 2020 this year (at least according to NRMP: Sleep Medicine Match - The Match, National Resident Matching Program)

Another IV invite today from Michigan, will start a list if anyone wishes to add to it.

Compiled List
IU, MCW - 8/13
U of Michigan - 8/14

Last edited:
Hi, I'm a PGY2 IM resident looking to apply next year. Looks like the rest of the forum was dead so wanted to see if it was OK to pop in here with a question. What kind of things on an application is a program looking for? Should all LORs be from sleep physicians or is Pulm/CC/psych OK? How big of a factor is step 1/2/3? Research? Would appreciate any guidance. Thanks!

Hi, I'm a PGY2 IM resident looking to apply next year. Looks like the rest of the forum was dead so wanted to see if it was OK to pop in here with a question. What kind of things on an application is a program looking for? Should all LORs be from sleep physicians or is Pulm/CC/psych OK? How big of a factor is step 1/2/3? Research? Would appreciate any guidance. Thanks!

Not sure if I'm much help as I'm an applicant this year, but I think you are vastly overestimating how competitive the fellowship is. If you can get a sleep letter great, if you only have pulm/cc that's fine too. When the fellowship spots don't fill every year I'm guessing programs can't be super picky about steps/research. This isn't GI or Cards.

Here is a link to the data from the 2019 match, about 18% of positions didn't fill. https://mk0nrmp3oyqui6wqfm.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/SMED-2019_MRS.pdf

Not sure if I'm much help as I'm an applicant this year, but I think you are vastly overestimating how competitive the fellowship is. If you can get a sleep letter great, if you only have pulm/cc that's fine too. When the fellowship spots don't fill every year I'm guessing programs can't be super picky about steps/research. This isn't GI or Cards.

Here is a link to the data from the 2019 match, about 18% of positions didn't fill. https://mk0nrmp3oyqui6wqfm.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/SMED-2019_MRS.pdf
Very interesting PDF. ~150 fellowship grads per year. Usually ~30 job listings through out the year.

Recent Jobs - American Academy of Sleep Medicine
Physician — Sleep Medicine Jobs at PracticeLink

My discussions with a sleep doc, make me wonder what the long term data is. I.e. say 5 or 10 years out, how many are practicing any sleep, and what percent? Because a current production of ~150 is well in excess of the ~30 turnover thru the year.

My very limited sample size, I know just as many sleep docs who aren't practicing sleep but reverted to their base specialty as those who are doing full time sleep.

Hi, I'm a Family Medicine PGY3 and applied to sleep medicine for the current cycle. I have received the following interview invites so far...

Mayo Jacksonville - 8/15
Stanford - 8/17
Emory - 8/17

Last edited:
Compiled Interview invites list
IU, MCW - 8/13
U of Michigan - 8/14
Mayo Jacksonville - 8/15
Stanford - 8/17
Emory - 8/17
Dartmouth - 8/18

Compiled Interview invites list
IU, MCW - 8/13
U of Michigan - 8/14
Mayo Jacksonville - 8/15
Stanford - 8/17
Emory - 8/17
Dartmouth - 8/18
Mount Sini 8/17
U of Utah 8/17
Mayo Clinic Rochester 8/18
University of Arizona, Phoenix 8/18

Got another one- Banner University medical center - Tucson
Anyone applied for KU or UMKC in Kansas or Missouri?

Interview invites from...

Mayo Jacksonville - 8/15
Stanford - 8/17
Emory - 8/17
Dartmouth - 8/18
Mayo Rochester - 8/18
Wake Forest - 8/20
UT Memphis - 8/21

Last edited:
Received interview invites from George Washington University (GWU), UT Southwestern, UT Memphis, and Wash U.

Compiled Interview Invites
IU- 8/13
MCW- 8/13
U of Michigan- 8/14
Mayo Jacksonville - 8/15
Stanford - 8/17
Emory - 8/17
Mount Sinai- 8/17
U of Utah - 8/17
Dartmouth - 8/18
Mayo Clinic Rochester - 8/18
U of Arizona (Phoenix) - 8/18
U of Arizona (Tucson) - 8/19
Wake Forest - 8/20
UT Memphis - 8/21
UT Southwestern - 8/21
Wash U - 8/21

Has anyone heard from the Chicago programs? Thanks!

Not yet but I believe Rush University isn't going to send out interviews until the beginning of September (according to their website).

Interview invites from...

Mayo Jacksonville - 8/15
Stanford - 8/17
Emory - 8/17
Dartmouth - 8/18
Mayo Rochester - 8/18
Wake Forest - 8/20
UT Memphis - 8/21
Duke - 8/24

Last edited:
Compiled Interview Invites
IU- 8/13
MCW- 8/13
U of Michigan- 8/14
Mayo Jacksonville - 8/15
Stanford - 8/17
Emory - 8/17, 8/25
Mount Sinai- 8/17
U of Utah - 8/17
Dartmouth - 8/18
Mayo Clinic Rochester - 8/18
U of Arizona (Phoenix) - 8/18
U of Arizona (Tucson) - 8/19
OSU - 8/19
Wake Forest - 8/20, 8/24
UT Memphis - 8/21
UT Southwestern - 8/21
Wash U - 8/21, 8/21
Henry Ford - 8/21
Vanderbilt - 8/21
Duke - 8/24
Louisville - 8/24
UAB - 8/24
Jefferson - 8/26
Rush - 8/28

Last edited:
Good luck to everyone! Wondering if anyone has heard from USF or UPenn?

Good luck to everyone! Wondering if anyone has heard from USF or UPenn?
I did not, and also I am wondering if any one heard from University of Chicago or Harvard?

Good luck to you all!

Did anyone hear from LA programs? UCLA?
Received an offer from UCLA today. Also received invites from Baylor, UH Cleveland/Case Western Reserve, and U of Arizona-Tucson.

Looks like UCLA is conducting in person interviews from what I can tell

I'm not so sure if that's necessarily true. Looking at the other fellowship programs in the same division (e.g., Pulmonary/Critical Care), those will be all virtual at UCLA. I'm actually about to send an email clarifying if it'll be virtual versus in-person. I'll let y'all know what I find out.

So it looks like UCLA is officially doing VIRTUAL interviews.
Hope no one bought tickets to fly...

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard from UoColorado yet?
I haven't.

Anyone else notice that quite a bit of programs are ghosting? Like no rejection or invites or even an "here's an update on your application status" email. Or maybe that's just me :unsure:

I haven't.

Anyone else notice that quite a bit of programs are ghosting? Like no rejection or invites or even an "here's an update on your application status" email. Or maybe that's just me :unsure:

I was thinking the exact same thing. I was starting to assume that all interview invites had been sent out but then I got a new one today.

Is anyone interested in sharing feedback on programs after interview day?

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone interested in sharing feedback on programs after interview day?
Ok I’ll start please add

university of arizona tuscon - I thought the faculty seemed exceptionally cool. I liked the schedule staying the same the entire year with some time devoted to special interests throughout the year. Some call responsibilities but seemed ok. Fellow told me her schedule was around 8-4:30 daily.

Utah - I liked your first month is didactic only. Haven’t seen that at other programs. 4 day work week with 5th reading day. Inpatient experience seems cool. For me, I didn’t jive as well with faculty.

Last edited:
I like the idea of sharing experiences we've had on the interview trail and am more than happy to share my thoughts on the programs I've interviewed at and any extra things I've heard or experienced in living in some of the areas. I think this will help get any extra info on programs. It's a bit tough deciding on some of these programs after only talking to them virtually for a few hours so I'd love others insight. I'll list the programs I've interviewed at and my upcoming ones. I went a bit overboard as I had an easy rotation and scheduled all my vacation and was able to fit in a lot of interviews.
Past interviews:
Wayne State
Minneapolis
Michigan
Tennessee
Baylor
St Vincent
Indiana
JFK
Phoenix
Utah
New Mexico
Upcoming interviews:
OHSU Portland
Dartmouth
Duke
Temple
UC Davis

A few places I've lived or been around and could given some info on:
Houston, Utah, Portland, New Mexico

My number: 385-626-8809, text anytime. We can start a group text if enough are interested

Reactions: 1 users