Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
I did relatively well on all of the sections except CARS... I've never been good at standardized reading tests and I found it difficult to study for.

3.95 GPA + research + clinical volunteering

May 22 Scores
Chem/Phys: 85-100%
CARS: 39-54% (~7 or 8)
Bio/Biochem: 82-97%
Psych/Soc: 81-96%
Overall: 80-90%

How much is this bad CARS score going to affect me? I'm applying to 5 in-state schools, including UMich... also interested in Medical College of Wisconsin, VA Commonwealth, Cincinnati, Rochester, Iowa, Brown, Georgetown, Dartmouth, Emory, Pitt.

Should I change my target schools based on this one score? Less reach schools? Retake? DO? Any thoughts on this are appreciated. If I wouldn't even be considered because of my CARS, then I don't want to waste my money applying to top tier schools.

I did relatively well on all of the sections except CARS... I've never been good at standardized reading tests and I found it difficult to study for.

3.95 GPA + research + clinical volunteering

May 22 Scores
Chem/Phys: 85-100%
CARS: 39-54% (~7 or 8)
Bio/Biochem: 82-97%
Psych/Soc: 81-96%
Overall: 80-90%

How much is this bad CARS score going to affect me? I'm applying to 5 in-state schools, including UMich... also interested in Medical College of Wisconsin, VA Commonwealth, Cincinnati, Rochester, Iowa, Brown, Georgetown, Dartmouth, Emory, Pitt.

Should I change my target schools based on this one score? Less reach schools? Retake? DO? Any thoughts on this are appreciated. If I wouldn't even be considered because of my CARS, then I don't want to waste my money applying to top tier schools.

Check each school and make sure they don't have have cutoffs (each section>8). But if not, I would still apply to your list. You have a great GPA and your overall mcat score is pretty good.

Check each school and make sure they don't have have cutoffs (each section>8). But if not, I would still apply to your list. You have a great GPA and your overall mcat score is pretty good.

How can I know that a school for sure has a cut-off? I've been looking at MSAR to see what the 10th percentiles are for admitted students on each section, but I don't know if this is good enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
How can I know that a school for sure has a cut-off? I've been looking at MSAR to see what the 10th percentiles are for admitted students on each section, but I don't know if this is good enough.

Yeah, I don't think its on MSAR, but if you check each school's admission website, if they have a cutoff, they will definitely specify. For example : http://admissions.medicine.iu.edu/applying-to-the-iu-school-of-medicine/ has a cutoff and states on the website. But I also know many schools will look at your scores more holistically.
Edit: Although IU's requirements are only for early decision applicants, so you would still be okay there (not that you are or anything, just an example)

Hi everyone! I managed to squeeze in one of the last old-style exams in January 2015. I am scheduled to take the new MCAT in early August but I spent the past two months just learning behavioral sciences and am feeling unpracticed in both BB and PS. Should I continue on with taking it and hope for a better score or cancel it? I'm having last minute jitters and am wondering how much better my score will be this next time.

My Jan. 2015 score:

31 overall
PS: 9
BS: 10
VR: 12

I am interested only in allo schools and preferably within my home state of Florida. Volunteering/club experience, working in a pharmacy, and a minor author credit during my research days as an undergrad are my EC claims to fame. My GPA is only 3.6 with about the same in science, but if you ignore the straight C's I received in my first semester (practice round), my GPA/scGPA go up to about 3.8.

What do you guys think? I'm in for 2016 if I can, so any further delay on my part can only hurt my chances. Is it worth the potential score increase/risk of decrease?

Hi everyone! I managed to squeeze in one of the last old-style exams in January 2015. I am scheduled to take the new MCAT in early August but I spent the past two months just learning behavioral sciences and am feeling unpracticed in both BB and PS. Should I continue on with taking it and hope for a better score or cancel it? I'm having last minute jitters and am wondering how much better my score will be this next time.

My Jan. 2015 score:

31 overall

I am interested only in allo schools and preferably within my home state of Florida. Volunteering/club experience, working in a pharmacy, and a minor author credit during my research days as an undergrad are my EC claims to fame. My GPA is only 3.6 with about the same in science, but if you ignore the straight C's I received in my first semester (practice round), my GPA/scGPA go up to about 3.8.

What do you guys think? I'm in for 2016 if I can, so any further delay on my part can only hurt my chances. Is it worth the potential score increase/risk of decrease?
Your verbal score is amazing and your sciences aren't bad.
In my opinion, I would focus on the application rather than studying for the new test.
Just from a cost-benefit standpoint, I think working on making your essays and application really good is the best approach.

31 is a perfectly respectable score. And medical schools really pay attention to verbal scores because VR score is the best predictor for student scores on Step 1 (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...t-verbal-and-usmle-step-2-correlation.329706/)
Also, people in general don't recommend retaking tests that are over 30 unless there were some strange circumstances while you were testing.

Reactions: 1 user

My Jan. 2015 score:

31 overall

A 31 is solid and that 12 VR to me is impressive. Trust me, you do not want to put yourself in taking the 2015 MCAT if you already have a balanced 30+ score. Well then, I personally would recommend applying to DO but once again it is up to you. A 31 is a great score for any DO school if you do change your mind. Applying early/on time to allo schools with your stats should give you a decent chance. Just make sure you apply to majority of schools that are reasonably within your range.

Yeah, I don't think its on MSAR, but if you check each school's admission website, if they have a cutoff, they will definitely specify. For example : http://admissions.medicine.iu.edu/applying-to-the-iu-school-of-medicine/ has a cutoff and states on the website. But I also know many schools will look at your scores more holistically.
Edit: Although IU's requirements are only for early decision applicants, so you would still be okay there (not that you are or anything, just an example)

Okay, I decided to look up the requirements at the schools that were mentioned and post them here just in case anyone else was interested in seeing that. (All info found on the respective schools' websites)
  • IU (Early Decision): "30 MCAT with no individual score below 8"
  • UMich: "Have taken the MCAT"
  • Wayne (Early Decision): "Minimum qualifications are a 10 on each section of the MCAT"
    • Regular Admission: "You must have a bachelor’s degree and have taken the MCAT no later than September of the application year"
  • CMU: "Complete and submit scores from the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) with a minimum overall score of 24"
  • MSU: No specific cutoffs, but... "The college acknowledges research that demonstrates students with MCAT scores below 8s and science GPAs below 3.0 have a greater risk of academic difficulty in successfully completing a rigorous medical curriculum"
  • Oakland: "Average for 2014 was 30; minimum required is 24 on old MCAT and we anticipate 496* on new MCAT... *The minimum score for the new MCAT is based on anticipated score values for the new exam. The actual score scale will be released in June 2015"
  • Medical College of WI: "The bottom of the competitive range is a 9 in each numeric subsection and an M in the writing sample... The Admissions Committee is still discussing how they will consider scores for the new MCAT exam."
  • VCU (Guaranteed Admission Program): "Students must present a score of 26 or better overall, with no subscale score below a seven"
  • Cincinnati: "MCAT scores that are no more than two years old at the time of applying"
    • Early Decision: MCAT Score (combined) > 32 or 86th percentile
  • Rochester: "Rochester requires the MCAT exam"
  • Iowa: "Completion of the MCAT is a requirement for admission"
  • Brown: "There is no requirement for a minimum MCAT composite score. In the MD Class of 2018, MCAT composite scores range from 26 to 38"
  • Georgetown: "Scores ≤8 in either the biological or physical sciences or ≤7 in verbal reasoning are considered non-competitive. Score ranges considered highly competitive for the new MCAT version will be published in the 2017 Guide to Application"
  • Dartmouth: "Although the Admissions Committee does not employ rigid cutoffs, applicants should be aware that accepted applications have a median combined MCAT score of 34"
  • Emory: "Applicants with a minimum MCAT total score of less than 27 or a subtest score of less than 7 on any of the three MCAT subtests did not receive an invitation to complete an Emory Supplemental Application. It has not yet been determined by our Admissions Committee if applications for the 2015-16 cycle will be prescreened based on MCAT scores (or any other criteria). Once the decision has been made, this website will be updated."
  • Pitt: "Applicant must take their Medical College Admission Test"
MORAL OF THE STORY: Most schools claim that they do not have a strict cutoff, but have general ideas of what they wouldn't like. It appears that they do accept students with lower scores if they can demonstrate extenuating circumstances. (I doubt that "I just don't do well on standardized reading tests" will work well for me or anyone else for that matter). Schools like Emory, Oakland, MCW, and Georgetown are still figuring their stuff out & promise to post stuff this month.

I think that I'll hold off on applying to more schools until I get back my specific percentile and see what med schools finally decide to with the new test :yeahright:

GPA: 3.93c, 4.00s
MCAT: 78-88th percentile overall
PS, BS, - 85-100%
CARS - 53-68%
Psych/Soc 61-76%

I'm a Kentucky resident, but I really really want to go to Vandy. I'm not sure whether to retake or not because my CARS was always my best section during practice by a long shot(AAMC Practice Test CARS was a 92%:bang:). I don't want to make excuses, but I was at one of the May testing sites that had tech difficulties and I decided not to retest, which was half due to thinking it didn't significantly affect my score, and half due to mental exhaustion from studying.

Will my CARS/MCAT keep me out of Vandy? Would a July retake be risky?

GPA: 3.93c, 4.00s
MCAT: 78-88th percentile overall
PS, BS, - 85-100%
CARS - 53-68%
Psych/Soc 61-76%

I'm a Kentucky resident, but I really really want to go to Vandy. I'm not sure whether to retake or not because my CARS was always my best section during practice by a long shot(AAMC Practice Test CARS was a 92%:bang:). I don't want to make excuses, but I was at one of the May testing sites that had tech difficulties and I decided not to retest, which was half due to thinking it didn't significantly affect my score, and half due to mental exhaustion from studying.

Will my CARS/MCAT keep me out of Vandy? Would a July retake be risky?

For me, personally you are already in the 30+ range for the old MCAT and all your sections are above average. I don't think a retake is necessary at all. A 3.93/4.00 is astounding. This test score shouldn't limit you and from experience, you can't assume the MCAT is the only thing Vandy looks at it. I personally know someone who had a lower GPA and a higher MCAT percentile range than you and got rejected at Vandy and still matriculated at a higher ranked school.

For me, personally you are already in the 30+ range for the old MCAT and all your sections are above average. I don't think a retake is necessary at all. A 3.93/4.00 is astounding. This test score shouldn't limit you and from experience, you can't assume the MCAT is the only thing Vandy looks at it. I personally know someone who had a lower GPA and a higher MCAT percentile range than you and got rejected at Vandy and still matriculated at a higher ranked school.

Thank you for the positive advice:). I've decided to keep studying until the July MCAT, get my real scores on the 30th, see if I'm consistently doing very well on practice tests, and decide whether or not to retake or not. I may even retake and if I'm not a extremely confident I'll just void haha

I'm also banking on fact the my science scores were pretty good. My advisor is very close with the head of Admissions at UK, and he was telling me how at least for this year not as much weight will be placed on the psych/soc section. I hope this is a general trend across the nation in my case.

GPA: 3.55c 3.58s
MCAT: 8 PS
9 VR
10 BS
27 Total
I took the exam in April 2014. I've been studying since the beginning of May and I recently took a few practice exams and my scores are still around the 27 that I received from my original test. I do not want to retake and get a lower score. I have 3 semesters of undergraduate research and a poster presentation at every undergraduate forum at my school (we all know these are kinda mandatory if you do UR). I also presented at a national ACS meeting this March. I am trying to get a job in my local ER as a scribe. I have decent amount of shadowing hours and have a lot of ECs. I was wait listed at Drexel only last year out of 8 schools I applied to. I think I set my standards a little high last year and will be applying to lower tier MD schools as well as DOs. Does anyone have any advice as to if I should retake or not? And my chances of getting into DO or MD.

Also, I double majored in Biology and Chemistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your verbal score is amazing and your sciences aren't bad.
In my opinion, I would focus on the application rather than studying for the new test.
Just from a cost-benefit standpoint, I think working on making your essays and application really good is the best approach.

31 is a perfectly respectable score. And medical schools really pay attention to verbal scores because VR score is the best predictor for student scores on Step 1 (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...t-verbal-and-usmle-step-2-correlation.329706/)
Also, people in general don't recommend retaking tests that are over 30 unless there were some strange circumstances while you were testing.

I'm in a similar boat, with a lower PS score on the new exam:

PS: 125 (55%)
CARS: 130 (97%)
BS: 127 (77%)
Psych: 128 (86%)
TOTAL: 510 (83%)

I know I could do much better on PS with a little more studying. I kept studying after the May exam with the intention of retaking in July or August and brought my practice PS scores up by 3-4 points. But then I got my percentiles and thought it might be a mistake to retake when I'm not sure I could get the same or better score in CARS. Probably better to just ride it out this cycle? Thoughts?

I'm in a similar boat, with a lower PS score on the new exam:

PS: 125 (55%)
CARS: 130 (97%)
BS: 127 (77%)
Psych: 128 (86%)
TOTAL: 510 (83%)

I know I could do much better on PS with a little more studying. I kept studying after the May exam with the intention of retaking in July or August and brought my practice PS scores up by 3-4 points. But then I got my percentiles and thought it might be a mistake to retake when I'm not sure I could get the same or better score in CARS. Probably better to just ride it out this cycle? Thoughts?

That depends on where you're trying to apply and where your residency is. If you provided more info we could help you out better.

That depends on where you're trying to apply and where your residency is. If you provided more info we could help you out better.

I should have probably posted this on my WAMC thread, but I already had my percentiles up there and got great advice on where to apply with my situation. My AMCAS cGPA is 3.21 and sGPA 3.0 (awaiting verification.), and AACOMAS cGPA 3.67 and sGPA 3.73. Long story short, I had an abysmal record from my first years in undergrad, left school then returned and started from scratch many years later and had a 3.8+ for four years/140 credits.

I'm a NJ resident, and I applied to a dozen each MD/DO including my state schools and schools that "reward reinvention." I also have well over a decade of clinical healthcare experience and lots of research and volunteering (publications, presentations, medical missions abroad, Americorps, etc.)

I should have probably posted this on my WAMC thread, but I already had my percentiles up there and got great advice on where to apply with my situation. My AMCAS cGPA is 3.21 and sGPA 3.0 (awaiting verification.), and AACOMAS cGPA 3.67 and sGPA 3.73. Long story short, I had an abysmal record from my first years in undergrad, left school then returned and started from scratch many years later and had a 3.8+ for four years/140 credits.

I'm a NJ resident, and I applied to a dozen each MD/DO including my state schools and schools that "reward reinvention."

Oh okay. Glad you got some good advice. Good luck in the process!

Oh okay. Glad you got some good advice. Good luck in the process!
Sorry if I was unclear- I am asking whether it makes sense to ride it out with these scores given that it's hard to guarantee getting the same or better in each section while improving my weakest one, or whether anyone would strongly recommend retaking in August or September.

Sorry if I was unclear- I am asking whether it makes sense to ride it out with these scores given that it's hard to guarantee getting the same or better in each section while improving my weakest one, or whether anyone would strongly recommend retaking in August or September.

Honestly, it's hard to say. If they ignore your lower GPA due to the classes your first time, I think you're a strong candidate. But if they take those into account, it'd be tough.

My thoughts are that retaking the MCAT does not necessarily guarantee you a higher score, and that an MCAT score that comes back in September/October doesn't seem likely to add much. I would run with it. If they take into account how you performed after going back to school, you're set.

Even if they don't, I still think you're more than competitive enough to get in somewhere respectable. I'd get your application in early now - I think that'll be much more beneficial than waiting to retake the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
Would one individual section score ruin me? I got 85-100 on all except CARS which I got 29-43 :(

So I have to retake it. Unfortunately. I'm just wondering if taking it at the beginning of August is too late for this application cycle. Does anyone know if I should still apply this cycle or push it back until like September and take it then but apply for next years cycle? Any advice would be appreciated.

These were my scores: Should I consider a retake for MD schools? I have a 3.59cGPA and 3.4sGPA.
CP: 62-77%
CARS: 82-97%
Bio: 62-77%
Psych: 38-53%

Overall: 61-71%

Last edited:
My scores:
CP:85-100%
CARS:28-43%
Bio: 81-96%
P/S: 85-100%

Overall: 77-87%

Should I retake because of CARS for MD schools?

Last edited:
Still undecided.

Overall: 80-90
CP: 50-65
CARS: 85-100
Bio: 72-87
Psych: 70-85

Based off the April/May results my CP Bio and Psych are almost definitely 125, 127, 127 respectively. Cars can be anywhere from 129-132. But I am thinking at least 130 because it says my lower end overall is 80 and a 508 is a little below that. So basically I have a 8 10 10 and hopefully a 13+ in terms of the old test(I think, somebody correct me if I am wrong). Im fine with DO if it comes to that. But the reason I am considering retaking is because I took the mcat without biochem which I think would boost me in bio a bit, and if I focus on physics/chem I am hoping I can bring that to at least a 127. CARs type sections have always been my strength and I didnt really study for that section at all so I am not worried about a decrease there. So in my mind the main risk would be decreasing in psych/sociology. Of course the other draw backs are having to pay for the test again and delaying a year.

For somebody who just wants to get in somewhere in the US(DO or MD) what would you guys do? My cGPA and sGPA are around 3.6 and 3.8 respectively.

Don't want to start an argument, but I completely disagree with @pithy84
Every single person who interviewed me told me that the verbal score is most important. They also said it is the best predictor of how you will do on your boards. You are literally the only person I have ever heard say that verbal is the least important.

Just wanted to say I really hope this is true lol.

Exactly why one should take advice from internet boards with a grain of salt. I'm new here and I've already read more "head-shaking" advice than I care to. As someone who has been advising students on admissions for over a decade, and having current and former members of actual ADCOMS on our team, we can tell you unequivocally that 1) the BS is the most predictive section in terms of Step1--and ADCOMS know this and talk about it frequently (Here's an example of the kind of research they reference: https://www.stfm.org/fmhub/fm2010/February/Jira105.pdf). That said, anecdotally, most ADCOMS love a good VR/CAR score, but in strictly empirical terms, BS is king! The new BB will probably take this throne, but adding bio-relevance to the physical sciences will also most likely make the new CP section more predictive for Step 1.

well, ****.

Hey guys,

Got my percentiles yesterday, looking for advice on whether or not I should retake. My situation is kind of unique and a strong MCAT would have really helped. I'm actually not disappointed in my score, I feel like it's solid, I just wish my CARS range didn't stick out like a sore thumb!

I'm applying primarily to DO schools, including one in-state DO school

cGPA is 3.0 due to poor performance in undergrad 8 years ago
sGPA & last 45 credit hours is 3.9 - completed a post bac this year and had taken no science classes during undergrad

Great LOR, 200 Volunteer hours, Good EC, great leadership history
lack shadowing hours & research

June 19 test taker:

C/P: 74 - 89 % / 127
CARS: 39 - 54 % / 124/125 (hoping for 125!)
BIO: 72 - 87 % / 127
P/S: 81 - 96 % / 128
Overall: 68 - 78 % / 506-507

My scores:
CP:85-100%
CARS:28-43%
Bio: 81-96%
P/S: 85-100%

Overall: 77-87%

Should I retake because of CARS for MD schools?

Hey so I had similar splits as you, 85-100/39-54/72-87/85-100/ 80-90 overall. I hated that I psyched myself out during the cars section which affected my best section (Bio). I immediately signed up for the July MCAT after the prelim score release, hoping that all the info are somewhat fresh on my mind. I've been doing cars passages here and there for the past few weeks thinking I might have to retake. Anyways, I called the admission officer 3 times today and she told me to chill out and that 80-90 will get you interview to any instate MD schools assuming you have average stats (which I do). I would suggest you call your schools to explain your scores and to get better grasps on your chances.

For me, since I really want to get into my first choice (UNC as instate) and even though they told me I can get interview inv with my 1st score while noting that an overall worse 2nd score would be a death sentence, I'm still going to retake it for my own personal satisfaction. I know I digressed, but these points I brought up are worth considering. Like the guy said in a previous post, I or you can always cancel if I/you don't feel good after. Also, make sure to ask about possible decreased chances due to delaying your app for an extra month if you were to take it in July.

If you decide not to retake, write the best personal statement you've ever written. It better be a masterpiece. A friend that had a teacher serve in the admission committee told her that personal statement is probably the most important thing. (Recs don't really matter as most tend to be generic and can't genuinely portray you). Hope this helps.

C/P: 74-89
CARS: 28-43
Bio: 62-77
P/S: 70-85
Overall: 58-68

I'm applying to DO schools. Should I have any worries about getting into school?

Hi Guys,

So I'm very conflicted about whether to retake the MCAT or not (which is coming up in exactly one week from today). In my June testing, my prelim percentiles were:

Chem/Phys: 82-97%
CARS: 39-54%
Bio/Biochem: 85-100%
Psych/Soc: 85-100%

That CARS was just a killer. How would this score affect me if I were applying to the top 30 schools in the country? I don't know what to do...should I retake? :(

ANY help would be tremendously appreciated. Thank you guys.

Last edited:
I am a little down in mood due to my MCAT situation. Let's jump straight into my percentiles...

Chem/phys: 40%-55%
CARS: 39%- 54%
Biological: 62%-77%
Psych/soc: 27%- 42%

Overall: 37%- 47%

Here's the thing, the MD school I am interested in only requires a minimum of 6 on the CARS section. What are my chances here. JABSOM is probably the only school I will apply to now due to my scoring since I am instate, GPA of 3.87, scribing in Hawaii, strong LORs, extracurriculars, and strong ties to my community.

My grandmother passed away 3 weeks prior to my exam and I had to pull away from studying for MCAT to focus on funeral planning and moving in with my grandfather as his caregiver. She was diagnosed 2 months prior with cancer and our family did not expect her passing. My grandfather, borderline dementia took it harshly. I got about 2-4 hours of studying after a long day. I definitely disappointed in my psych section because I spent the most time studying for that one since I did not take a psychology course. I completely winged Bio (light review) since it was my major... I wish I had done better.

I guess my question is should I use these score and explain myself? I am a good classroom student who sits front row, and center. Or, should I retake and only focus on JABSOM since they are not rolling admission with a deadline in November. Or, scenario C, don't apply this cycle and apologize to my LOR writers.

Any input helps. Thank you for your time.

I am a little down in mood due to my MCAT situation. Let's jump straight into my percentiles...

Chem/phys: 40%-55%
CARS: 39%- 54%
Biological: 62%-77%
Psych/soc: 27%- 42%

Overall: 37%- 47%

Here's the thing, the MD school I am interested in only requires a minimum of 6 on the CARS section. What are my chances here. JABSOM is probably the only school I will apply to now due to my scoring since I am instate, GPA of 3.87, scribing in Hawaii, strong LORs, extracurriculars, and strong ties to my community.

My grandmother passed away 3 weeks prior to my exam and I had to pull away from studying for MCAT to focus on funeral planning and moving in with my grandfather as his caregiver. She was diagnosed 2 months prior with cancer and our family did not expect her passing. My grandfather, borderline dementia took it harshly. I got about 2-4 hours of studying after a long day. I definitely disappointed in my psych section because I spent the most time studying for that one since I did not take a psychology course. I completely winged Bio (light review) since it was my major... I wish I had done better.

I guess my question is should I use these score and explain myself? I am a good classroom student who sits front row, and center. Or, should I retake and only focus on JABSOM since they are not rolling admission with a deadline in November. Or, scenario C, don't apply this cycle and apologize to my LOR writers.

Any input helps. Thank you for your time.
Are you Native Hawaiian? Was your GPA from a top undergrad? Sorry to hear about your grandfather

Hey Guys,
Just got my preliminary percentiles back and wanted to get everyone's opinion on whether I should retake.

Chem/Phys: 74%-89%
CARS: 39%-54%
Bio: 72%-87%
Psych/soc: 61%-76%

Overall : 61%-71%

I am a non-traditional student who is going to be finishing up a Master's degree this April (GPA is 3.96). Have oodles of service (both community and medical related). Have 5 publications (with a couple more that are currently being reviewed/ prepped for submission), a handful of abstracts, conferences etc. LORs are solid. Leadership and shadowing are great as well. My concern is that my low CARS section is going to hurt me. Should I try and retake it in September, or will that hurt my chances of getting in for this cycle? I've already paid for my applications, but I think I am going to add a couple of DO schools just to increase my chances of getting in. Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated.

Are you Native Hawaiian? Was your GPA from a top undergrad? Sorry to hear about your grandfather

Thanks for your response.

My GPA is not from a top undergrad. However, I was dean's list with 17-18 credits every semester. Majority was upper division courses. Awarded top biology student in my year. I tried made the most of my small undergrad situation.

I am not native Hawaiian.

Last edited:
I'd say your MCAT will hinder your application if you do not retake, especially with an overall less than 50%. Try see the latest MCAT date that JABSOM will accept, and if you're inclined to, retake the test in September with a month or two of quality studying. If not, take a gap year. Under no circumstances should you apply with that MCAT score as JABSOM will probably screen you out, even though you are in state.

Edit: Also keep in mind that you'll have to improve significantly to stand a chance(80+ percentile), so don't retake unless you think you can get to that point. Applying to only JABSOM will also be really risky. A gap year will prob. be the safest option for you at this point.

Hey folks,

I'm starting a graduate program this fall (1 year Master's in Biomedical Sciences at Rutgers). I intend to apply to medical school in the 2016 cycle, if all goes well.

My most recent scores from May 2014 (old MCAT):

Physical Sciences - 11 - (89%)
Verbal Reasoning - 11 - (95%)
Biological Sciences - 11 - (88%)
Total - 33 - (91%)

I understand my scores are decent enough for MD schools, but I'm concerned that not taking the new MCAT could count against me. I know some schools aren't accepting the old test after the 2016 or 2017 cycle.

Would it be a bad idea to retake the exam?

Hey folks,

I'm starting a graduate program this fall (1 year Master's in Biomedical Sciences at Rutgers). I intend to apply to medical school in the 2016 cycle, if all goes well.

My most recent scores from May 2014 (old MCAT):

Physical Sciences - 11 - (89%)
Verbal Reasoning - 11 - (95%)
Biological Sciences - 11 - (88%)
Total - 33 - (91%)

I understand my scores are decent enough for MD schools, but I'm concerned that not taking the new MCAT could count against me. I know some schools aren't accepting the old test after the 2016 or 2017 cycle.

Would it be a bad idea to retake the exam?

That's an interesting situation to be in. Have you read official policies on schools not accepting old scores even for the 2016 cycle (start med school in 2017)? I was under the impression that they would be okay for the first two years, but by the third they would not be looked favorably upon. afterwards. Yours is a recent score, even if you apply in 2016.

That's an interesting situation to be in. Have you read official policies on schools not accepting old scores even for the 2016 cycle (start med school in 2017)? I was under the impression that they would be okay for the first two years, but by the third they would not be looked favorably upon. afterwards. Yours is a recent score, even if you apply in 2016.

I have not looked into policies since this past winter, but most of them claimed they would take the old test for the 2016 cycle. I think it would be a little risky to retake it, considering the upcoming graduate workload and that I would need to score even higher than before to make it worthwhile.

Thank you for the advice, though. I'll also try to meet with some admissions counselors in my program, since they have ties to RWJMS (now Rutgers, I guess).

I have not looked into policies since this past winter, but most of them claimed they would take the old test for the 2016 cycle. I think it would be a little risky to retake it, considering the upcoming graduate workload and that I would need to score even higher than before to make it worthwhile.

Thank you for the advice, though. I'll also try to meet with some admissions counselors in my program, since they have ties to RWJMS (now Rutgers, I guess).

That would be my plan unless an admissions counselor writing my committee letter or someone of similar stature heavily advised me to take the new one. I think you're good to go. That's a good score - you'll do well.

Hello all!

First I want to say I've seen a lot of excellent help on the forum. I've been wrestling back and forth and I decided to finally get some outside help. I took the old Mcat August 2014
Phys - 9
Verb- 8
Bio - 10
Overall 27

With that score I'm feeling that I can apply only to DO schools.
I'm a non traditional student with one BS degree (Bio double major GPA 2.7) and a more recent AS degree ( Radiography GPA 3.98). I also retook most of my basic science courses that I did really terribly in and received A's in all of them. I have a year of employed research, lots of clinical time and experience from the radiography degree and some few hours of volunteer and job shadowing with DO's ( ~20 hours each).

Should I study hard and crack the new Mcat or will I be ok? I don't mind which school I get accepted to just as long as it won't somehow hinder my chances at good residency spots.

Hi,

I'm a non-URM Virginia resident and took the new MCAT in June and got a 501. I have an overall GPA of 3.95 and sGPA of 3.93.
500+ hours of volunteering and shadowing
4 years of research
Many good ECs and great LORs
Will be doing a Master's at Georgetown in Fall 2015

Please chance me for MD schools, I'll also be applying to DO schools, but would really like an MD acceptance! The next retake would be in August and I know it'll be too late to get the scores in September and be complete then. Should I retake I'm August or try my luck with these credentials?? Btw, I have applied to 30+ schools!

So I have to retake it. Unfortunately. I'm just wondering if taking it at the beginning of August is too late for this application cycle. Does anyone know if I should still apply this cycle or push it back until like September and take it then but apply for next years cycle? Any advice would be appreciated.
It wouldn't be too late. You can always submit your application and put in the MCAT section that you are awaiting your scores. Also, if you need anymore information, here's a video about my personal advice about taking the MCAT. Good luck! :)

Hello all!

First I want to say I've seen a lot of excellent help on the forum. I've been wrestling back and forth and I decided to finally get some outside help. I took the old Mcat August 2014
Phys - 9
Verb- 8
Bio - 10
Overall 27

With that score I'm feeling that I can apply only to DO schools.
I'm a non traditional student with one BS degree (Bio double major GPA 2.7) and a more recent AS degree ( Radiography GPA 3.98). I also retook most of my basic science courses that I did really terribly in and received A's in all of them. I have a year of employed research, lots of clinical time and experience from the radiography degree and some few hours of volunteer and job shadowing with DO's ( ~20 hours each).

Should I study hard and crack the new Mcat or will I be ok? I don't mind which school I get accepted to just as long as it won't somehow hinder my chances at good residency spots.
If I was in your situation I would apply early and apply to many schools. You have a lot of medical-related experience and seem like a focused prospective medical student. Go for it! :)

Interested in attending in-state MD schools (for me, UAB and South Alabama.)

3.96 cGPA; 3.92 sGPA
507 June MCAT (127 CARS, 127 C/P, 127 B/BCh, 126 P/S)
Percentiles: 81%ile CARS, 79%ile C/P, 77%ile B/BCh, 66%ile P/S

Thanks!
Assuming you have normal extracurriculars and volunteering that one would except with an MD applicant, your scores should get you an interview at one of your state schools.

Hi,

I'm a non-URM Virginia resident and took the new MCAT in June and got a 501. I have an overall GPA of 3.95 and sGPA of 3.93.
500+ hours of volunteering and shadowing
4 years of research
Many good ECs and great LORs
Will be doing a Master's at Georgetown in Fall 2015

Please chance me for MD schools, I'll also be applying to DO schools, but would really like an MD acceptance! The next retake would be in August and I know it'll be too late to get the scores in September and be complete then. Should I retake I'm August or try my luck with these credentials?? Btw, I have applied to 30+ schools!

If you're set on MD, probably want to retake in August, because that's still kind of in the window of possibility for this cycle. Your score right now will probably get you screened out at MD schools as it is. The alternative would be to wait till next cycle and knock the MCAT out of the park if you're feeling rushed to do the August test now

Status
Not open for further replies.