This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh... well, you're strong in other areas so I guess it covered. Send in your app ASAP!

And since you were in CSTEP, I take it you're in NY at a CUNY school?
Not CUNY! I'm from a SUNY school. SUNY Chancellor Award winner :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not CUNY! I'm from a SUNY school. SUNY Chancellor Award winner :)
Nice, I once won a beer pong tournament in a frat house. I too have achievements and such.

List volunteer experience they love that stuff. Sorry about you having to suffer at bury me here hospital.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey Everyone! Looking for some advice on how my chances may be for Fall 2018 DPM.
My cGPA-3.21 sGPA-3.08---> Had one rough semester when my mother became sick and had a 1.67 GPA. Strong GPA every semester after.
Looking at taking some Physical Science classes to boost sGPA over the Summer/Fall.
Have not yet taken the MCAT- [What score should I shoot for??]
Hopefully be able to shadow a podiatrist over summer and also take that time to get volunteer hours, etc.
Any suggestions on what else I could do to make me more competitive would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hey Everyone! Looking for some advice on how my chances may be for Fall 2018 DPM.
My cGPA-3.21 sGPA-3.08---> Had one rough semester when my mother became sick and had a 1.67 GPA. Strong GPA every semester after.
Looking at taking some Physical Science classes to boost sGPA over the Summer/Fall.
Have not yet taken the MCAT- [What score should I shoot for??]
Hopefully be able to shadow a podiatrist over summer and also take that time to get volunteer hours, etc.
Any suggestions on what else I could do to make me more competitive would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You technically don't have to take sciences over the summer.

GPAs are fine.

Aim for 500+. Apply early and you should get invites from all 9.

You technically don't have to take sciences over the summer.

GPAs are fine.

Aim for 500+. Apply early and you should get invites from all 9.

Thanks for your input! When does application cycle open for Fall 2018 and by what dates would you say I would still be an early applicant?

Thanks for your input! When does application cycle open for Fall 2018 and by what dates would you say I would still be an early applicant?

Opens first week of August.

I had all my stuff submitted 3rd week of August and was in the first string of interviews for many of the schools.

Get it in August and that should count as pretty early.

Hi,
Cgpa 2.76 sgpa:2.55
mcat 491
I took some science classes at community college after graduating when I thought about DO school. But I don't think those will be considered under undergraduate sgpa?

I shadowed a podiatrist for 20 hours, and have 80+ hour interning in the Pediatric ER.

I was wondering if I have a chance at Podiatry School, and if so best time to apply

Hi,
mcat 491
I took some science classes at community college after graduating when I thought about DO school. But I don't think those will be considered under undergraduate sgpa?

I shadowed a podiatrist for 20 hours, and have 80+ hour interning in the Pediatric ER.

I was wondering if I have a chance at Podiatry School, and if so best time to apply
I think you would be a very borderline applicant. Is there a chance you could retake the MCAT this summer? Best time to apply would be ASAP (August, when the application opens).

Your community college classes would still be averaged into your undergraduate gpa b/c community college is considered an undergraduate institution.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
mcat 491

Are those GPAs including the summer classes? As long as they are undergrad level science courses they will count; it is like a do it yourself post-bacc. An MCAT of 500+ would definitely help your odds if you can retake and do better.

Hi,
mcat 491

What everyone else said.

Either:
- higher MCAT
- higher GPA
- Extenuating circumstances (4.0 trending semester + family difficulties)

It opens in August. I don't remember the exact date. Getting it in August-October is best!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I have been a lurker for a while and this forum has been very helpful to look over. I am going to apply for the 2017-2018 cycle. I graduated in May 2016 and took the MCAT at the end of the year. After that I just kind of took some time off to reflect on making life choices and figuring what I wanted to do with my life. I learned about podiatry this last year. I didn't even know that there were options besides MD/DO. Part of me wanted to always do medicine but the lifestyle intimidated me somewhat. Podiatry seems to give people the option to pursue more things where the person isn't on call like one would be in a MD/DO profession.

Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.2 sGPA: 3.0ish (it might be a bit off)
MCAT: 500

Podiatry Experience: No podiatry experience yet (in process of contacting many in my area, as well as using the mentoring program the aacpm website offers)
Non-Podiatry Experience: Endoscopy Clinic (80 hrs)(was able to observe many procedures: ERCP, of course colonoscopy etc. and was able to talk to many health professionals from technicians to nurses to anesthesiologist)
Volunteering: Local Retirement Community (40 hrs), Animal Behavior Lab (1.5 years), Tutoring Club (1 year), Sikh Religious Club (4 years, helped with organizing events, was very involved etc.), Published a few articles through a health science writing club

Hi,
I have been a lurker for a while and this forum has been very helpful to look over. I am going to apply for the 2017-2018 cycle. I graduated in May 2016 and took the MCAT at the end of the year. After that I just kind of took some time off to reflect on making life choices and figuring what I wanted to do with my life. I learned about podiatry this last year. I didn't even know that there were options besides MD/DO. Part of me wanted to always do medicine but the lifestyle intimidated me somewhat. Podiatry seems to give people the option to pursue more things where the person isn't on call like one would be in a MD/DO profession.

Here are my stats:

Podiatry Experience: No podiatry experience yet (in process of contacting many in my area, as well as using the mentoring program the aacpm website offers)
Non-Podiatry Experience: Endoscopy Clinic (80 hrs)(was able to observe many procedures: ERCP, of course colonoscopy etc. and was able to talk to many health professionals from technicians to nurses to anesthesiologist)
Volunteering: Local Retirement Community (40 hrs), Animal Behavior Lab (1.5 years), Tutoring Club (1 year), Sikh Religious Club (4 years, helped with organizing events, was very involved etc.), Published a few articles through a health science writing club
Looks good, get that app in ASAP while you find a pod to shadow.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi,

Here are my stats:

Yeah you'll be totally fine! Just make sure you shadow to solidify that this is really something you want to do. Shadowing is incredibly beneficial (and necessary) in that way.

I will by applying this August right when applications open for Fall 2018, but wanted to get your thoughts. I have always loved medicine and liked the podiatry profession when I discovered it. I want to go into sports medicine. These are my stats. Do I still have a shot even with my MCAT? Everything else I feel is solid, but the MCAT. My top choice of schools would be Barry then the California Schools followed by Temple and then Kent

Cumulative GPA: 4.0
Science GPA: 4.0 and have taken all required pre-recs
MCAT: 493 (Chem/Phys 124, CARS 121, Bio/Biochem 125, Soc/Psych 123)
Major: Athletic Training (Pre-Pod)
Extra Curriculars: -Captain & Member of Division 1 Swim Team
-Over 1000 hours hands on patient care through Athletic Training
-Athletic Training NFL Internship with The New Orleans Saints
-Temple Summer Podiatry Internship
-Kent State Summer Podiatry Internship
-12 PT Shadow Hours, 30 Physician Shadow Hours, 6 Podiatry Shadow Hours (going to do more)
-President & Member of the Athletic Training Club
-Enrolled in the Honors College
-Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society Member
-4.0 GPA and Dean’s List all semesters at EIU
-Study Abroad: The Sports Industry in the United Kingdom
-Special Olympics Volunteer and Girls on the Run 5k Volunteer
-Local Community Theatre Volunteer
-Club Swim Camp Volunteer
-Member of the Alpha Epsilon Delta (Pre-Health Honors Club)

Last edited:
I will by applying this August right when applications open for Fall 2018, but wanted to get your thoughts. I have always loved medicine and liked the podiatry profession when I discovered it. I want to go into sports medicine. These are my stats. Do I still have a shot even with my MCAT? Everything else I feel is solid, but the MCAT.

-12 PT Shadow Hours, 30 Physician Shadow Hours, 6 Podiatry Shadow Hours (going to do more)
You're fine!

I will by applying this August right when applications open for Fall 2018, but wanted to get your thoughts. I have always loved medicine and liked the podiatry profession when I discovered it. I want to go into sports medicine. These are my stats. Do I still have a shot even with my MCAT? Everything else I feel is solid, but the MCAT. My top choice of schools would be Barry then the California Schools followed by Temple and then Kent

Congrats on your great stats and ECs! You'll go to any pod school you want!

You will get in and possibly half tuition scholarship at many schools! Apply ASAP!

Hi,
mcat 491

Honestly, I think you have a shot as long as you keep those EC's up. I am talking about serious numbers. I would shadow a podiatrist closer to 100 hours and try putting more hours volunteering elsewhere. Your MCAT looks okay but a retake is a good idea maybe. You are going to have to apply as soon as cycle opens. Good luck to you!

All this running really does a number on my feet. Shout out to you soon to be podiatrists out there!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
All this running really puts a number on my feet. Shout out to you soon to be podiatrists out there!

I feel like you created an account so you can specifically say that lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
lol it's not me.

And, Barry Allen, get back to work. Central City is on Fire! :yawn:
giphy.gif

Well gotta run

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys
Im trying to apply for Fall 2017
I haven't sent in my application yet
Still working on my personal statement
I also have yet to take the MCAT which is scheduled for June 29 but I may move it up to June 17 depending on my practice test score
Do any institutions grant interviews without the MCAT?
I mainly looking at Scholl and NYCPM
GPA: 3.13 sGPA: 2.98
Do I have a shot
or Should i Just shoot for next cycle?
Thanks

Hi guys
I also have yet to take the MCAT which is scheduled for June 29 but I may move it up to June 17 depending on my practice test score
Do I have a shot
Thanks
Based on your profile photo, youre a shoe in. #gambino

Hi guys
Do I have a shot
Thanks

June 30th is the deadline for this cycle. The last mcat to take and still be fine for this cycle was on May 19th.
Take your time with the MCAT and apply early for the next cycle or for the Jan class at NYCPM!

Last edited:
hey guys how is it going is me again 3.2cGpa 3.0sGPA what should be a decent Mcat score I should aim for? also how important are rec letters from professors I might not have those in on time for application will I still get invites or do I need them I have my podiatry rec letter but need the other two from professors any thoughts?

June 30th is the deadline for this cycle. The last mcat to take and still be fine for this cycle was on May 19th.
Take your time with the MCAT and apply early for the next cycle or for the Jan class at NYCPM!
I emailed the school and they told me the latest mcat they take is June 30
and that they interview up to august!

hey guys how is it going is me again 3.2cGpa 3.0sGPA what should be a decent Mcat score I should aim for? also how important are rec letters from professors I might not have those in on time for application will I still get invites or do I need them I have my podiatry rec letter but need the other two from professors any thoughts?
You will get in somewhere with a 490+ and aim for 500+ for scholarship. Letters of rec are more of a formality and are overall not very important, so long as you do not have a bad one. Pretty much every school will interview you without an MCAT and letters except NYCPM, Scholl, DMU, and Midwestern.

Last edited:
I emailed the school and they told me the latest mcat they take is June 30
and that they interview up to august!

Which school are you referring to?

I was told May 19th for NYCPM!

I guess they are changing the rules due to fewer applications.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Don't focus on getting a certain number; that can make you stressed if you're obsessed with trying to get a specific number. Just try your best and aim for as high of a score as you can!

Finally got my MCAT score back and am applying this coming fall cycle. I am hoping to get into Midwestern. So WAMC?

cGPA- 3.55
sGPA- 3.4
MCAT- 498
Hours Shadowing- 100 hours
Volunteering- 1000 hours in church and medical
Work Experience- 1 year as a CNA, 1 year as a medical assistant, 2 years as a dental assistant
I have a couple W's, no retakes, and nothing too crazy on my app

Reactions: 4 users
Finally got my MCAT score back and am applying this coming fall cycle. I am hoping to get into Midwestern. So WAMC?

cGPA- 3.55
sGPA- 3.4
MCAT- 498
Hours Shadowing- 100 hours
Volunteering- 1000 hours in church and medical
Work Experience- 1 year as a CNA, 1 year as a medical assistant, 2 years as a dental assistant
I have a couple W's, no retakes, and nothing too crazy on my app

Apply as early as possible. I think you have a good chance.

Hey guys so I just got my MCAT score back today. Not as high as I wanted, but I think it was okay and somewhat fairly balanced. If anyone has any experience with NYCPM, it'd be great to get honest input on my chances!

1. B.S in Biology from a SUNY
2. cGPA 3.33, sGPA 3.13
3. MCAT = 497 (chem 125, cars 123, bio 124, psych 125)
4. ~400 hours in EM scribing
5. ~100 hours shadowing an EM physician
6. ~100 hours shadowing an internist
7. ~50 hours volunteering at university hospital
8. ~100 hours for a volunteer research internship
9. ~250 hours as an undergrad research assistant (2 semesters)
10. TA in mindful-based stress management and a TA in physics 1
11. E-board member for school club
12. Solid community involvement including ~400 hours of volunteering with autistic children in a role of leadership, among other non-medical/health related things which include leadership positions as well at over 400 hours total
13. Have recs from a physics professor, poetry professor, from both TA experiences mentioned in #10, and from #8

I forgot to mention I'm currently shadowing a podiatrist and have accumulated about 30 hours so far, and expect a letter from him soon as well.

So any opinion on getting in anywhere, but preferably at NY, would be tremendously helpful! Thanks a ton for the help guys, I couldn't be sane in the head without you all!

Hey guys so I just got my MCAT score back today. Not as high as I wanted, but I think it was okay and somewhat fairly balanced. If anyone has any experience with NYCPM, it'd be great to get honest input on my chances!

1. B.S in Biology from a SUNY
2. cGPA 3.33, sGPA 3.13
3. MCAT = 497 (chem 125, cars 123, bio 124, psych 125)
4. ~400 hours in EM scribing
5. ~100 hours shadowing an EM physician
6. ~100 hours shadowing an internist
7. ~50 hours volunteering at university hospital
8. ~100 hours for a volunteer research internship
9. ~250 hours as an undergrad research assistant (2 semesters)
10. TA in mindful-based stress management and a TA in physics 1
11. E-board member for school club
12. Solid community involvement including ~400 hours of volunteering with autistic children in a role of leadership, among other non-medical/health related things which include leadership positions as well at over 400 hours total
13. Have recs from a physics professor, poetry professor, from both TA experiences mentioned in #10, and from #8

I forgot to mention I'm currently shadowing a podiatrist and have accumulated about 30 hours so far, and expect a letter from him soon as well.

So any opinion on getting in anywhere, but preferably at NY, would be tremendously helpful! Thanks a ton for the help guys, I couldn't be sane in the head without you all!

I think you will be good at NYCPM. apply as early as possible and read the interview tips here.

Hey everyone! I am looking to apply for Fall 2018 start semester. I am wanting to get my application in early in the cycle. I have already graduated so I have no classes left to take but I have not taken the MCAT, will schools possibly interview me without an MCAT or do you have to have it done before.

Also if placed do interview without an MCAT, will they offer conditional acceptance contingent on a certain MCAT score or do they just wait until your scores are in. Any insights will be appreciated. Thanks!